Sign in to follow this  
NiTRoBoX

Tech Tree Recommendations

4 comments in this topic

Players
2 posts
239 battles

Hello,

I'm new to WoWs, would appreciate if someone can recommend two top nations for each ship type,

as I would like to try them all eventually and would like to focus on those that are most competitive \ in the meta right now.

Also what premium tier 8 and above would you recommend?  

I know that many have the opinion that new players shouldn't jump to higher tier battles and should learn the game first, I agree on that, but this aside still would like to know,

as I have 25% off for the in game shop and 1800 doubloons so maybe getting some more for a good prem ship isn't a bad idea.

PS:

I've read that there would be a black Friday sale so maybe I should wait for it and get a ship from those deals? 

Thanks for anyone who reply.

[HANDS]
Players
28 posts
5,853 battles

Some thoughts as a fellow new-ish player :)

1. Try out the different branches first before committing to a particular branch.

The first few lower tiers don’t take too long to grind.  I would recommend that you try out all ship types except carriers to start with.  Once you have an idea of which playstyle you enjoy, you can then focus on that branch first.  If, after having tried the different ship types, you remain unsure about which tree to pursue, I would suggest you go for cruisers first.  Carriers have a play style completely different from all other ships, and I would suggest you explore them last.

As for the choice of nation, based on my limited experience so far, I would say USA is probably the most beginner friendly nation.  US ships feel well balanced in most respects.  At Tier X, their heavy cruisers (Des Moines and Salem) are, in my view at least, some of the most versatile and forgiving ships to play. 

Germany and Japan are probably also viable as starting nation but I get the impression that the other nations have more national quirks that might make a beginner's life difficult, depending on the ship type (e.g. playing Russian destroyers is a very different experience from playing Japanese or US destroyers).

2. If you are new to the game, and jump straight into high tier ship, expect lots of disappointment.

Many players subscribe to the view that to be good at this game, you need to learn how to play the difference ships one tier at time, without skipping lower tiers and suddenly jumping into higher tiers.  Whilst I don't think that's the only way to learn or enjoy this game, I have to say that there is much truth in this school of thought. 

When I started playing this game, I bought a Tier VIII premium but I was absolutely crap in it because I had no idea about things like positioning, aiming, dodging torpedoes, the problem of showing your belly, importance of concealment, and all those basic stuff (there's a reason why "Tirpitz" is also known as "Dirptiz"). 

I was dying in the first 2 minutes of the match and it was not fun at all; it took me a good few months of regular play before I could reach a point where I stopped dying in the first 2 minutes of the match.  Experience is the best teacher in this game, and working your way up a tech tree is probably the best way to make sure you get enough experience and learn the basics to make yourself viable at higher tiers.

3. Don’t buy premium ships until you have played the game enough to have an idea of what sort of ship and playstyle you enjoy.

Premium ships you can buy for money or doubloons aren’t cheap, especially at higher tier.  To make sure that you don’t end up regretting your purchase, I would advise you not to buy premium ships until you are reasonably certain that you are going to enjoy playing the relevant type of ship. 

For example, right now you can buy a version of Tier X Yamato without grinding your way through the Japanese battleship tech tree branch.  However, you might, further down the line, find yourself not enjoying playing battleship at all.  This is what happened to me with Tirpitz (I bought it when I had no clue and now it’s collecting barnacle in my port lol).

If you want to buy a higher tier premium ship, consider buying Tier VI first.  They are relatively cheap, you can use them in most of the weekly operations.

If you are really sure you want to buy a Tier VIII premium, then I can tell you which ones I enjoy - of coures, your mileage may vary:

• Atago or any of the equivalent clone (e.g. ARP Takao) – if you enjoy the Japanese cruiser playstyle, you might like this.
  • Asashio - if you enjoy the Japanese destroyer (torpedo boat) playstyle, you might like this
  • I also quite like Z-35 but this is very much an acquired taste, it's probably not for the faint of heart...

Whatever you decide to do, remember to have fun :)

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
6,177 posts
14,684 battles
4 hours ago, NiTRoBoX said:

Hello,

I'm new to WoWs, would appreciate if someone can recommend two top nations for each ship type,

as I would like to try them all eventually and would like to focus on those that are most competitive \ in the meta right now.

Also what premium tier 8 and above would you recommend?  

I know that many have the opinion that new players shouldn't jump to higher tier battles and should learn the game first, I agree on that, but this aside still would like to know,

as I have 25% off for the in game shop and 1800 doubloons so maybe getting some more for a good prem ship isn't a bad idea.

PS:

I've read that there would be a black Friday sale so maybe I should wait for it and get a ship from those deals? 

Thanks for anyone who reply.

The following is all obviously IMO, and from the perspective of a DD main:

• For all ship classes, I would recommend playing Japan and the US for all of them as your initial picks. The reason for this is that those nations are the original ones in the game and they arguably provide the best 'no gimmicks' learning experience. After that, start branching out further; it is sensible to play as diverse a range of ships as practical and - most importantly - not rush up the tiers.
  • For DDs, after the US and two IJN lines, the KM DDs aren't bad hybrids (and you get the smoke/hydro thing, which is great against smoke campers etc.); the RN DDs are very good too, although require a bit more experience to do well with (mainly because you tend to need to make use of their guns to do consistent damage, and that blows your stealth).
  • For cruisers, perhaps have a look at the Russians: useless torps (due to short range), but they get the characteristic Russian rail-guns, and long-range radar from T8.
  • For BBs, I would pick the brains of a proper BB meister, but I do enjoy the manliness of the KM line; that said, the Russian (imaginary) line's reputation suggests that would be a sensible pick.
  • With CVs, the consensus seems to be that you're pretty well covered by the IJN/US lines; the RN CVs seem to be generally felt to be the weakest, whilst the KM line does bring something different with the AP rockets. Be mindful though that CVs can be stupidly influential in a game (there is a reason the class is despised by many), and being a poor CV player can put your team at a drastic disadvantage; short version - you *really* want to take your time and get decent at least before playing higher tiers PvP in a CV.

With your initial silver picks, the point is to learn the game; what will win battles is a solid understanding of how everything works, and how to make use of it all. There are basically no silver ships in the game that are an 'I win' button, so I wouldn't worry excessively about the meta at this stage.

Moving on to premium ships, which T8+ one would I recommend you buy? After 19 battles (at time of writing) none of them! Permit me to expand a bit:

• WG would love for you to buy lots of expensive premiums, but resist the urge to start with. As a rough pointer, and assuming PvP (do whatever you like in PvE), it is wise to avoid getting any premium that is much higher tier than whatever silver tier you're comfortable with (+/-). There are several reasons for this, including that you need a good enough captain for the tier, not to mention that your skills and experience won't be ready yet either; of course, you'll have a powerful higher tier ship, but then so will everyone else (and they'll probably better understand how to play it, and have a better captain too). Of course, as a new player, you probably haven't settled on a favourite class and/or play style yet; it would be a shame to buy something that in a few months you decide you don't really like playing all that much. Right, having got all that out of the way, I assume - as is traditional - you'll ignore this advice entirely (many of us did); if you do, you can always play the thing in Coop/Ops, and the following pointers may help.
  • Get something that - if possible - you know you'll enjoy playing a lot. Besides getting value for money out of your spend, a key plus of premiums is captain training and multiple games are required to make maximum use of this.
  • Speaking of captain training, get something that works well with your silver line captains; avoid premiums that need a weird build (at least to start with). On a related note, avoid things that don't have an equivalent silver line initially too (so no Commonwealth, and no PA cruisers, for example); until you have a means to generate *at least* 10 point captains, your shiny premium will be gimped with a sub-standard captain in her.
  • I can't be more specific than that, as you don't have a favoured class/nation yet.

If you have a discount voucher for the shop (and you're comfortable that you like the game; don't spend if not - there will be other special offers), a good idea is to buy doubloons (as many as you need), and then spend those on premium time (which should always be your first purchase as it works on all ships/battles), and - possibly - premium ships, using the Armory [sic] where you should have another discount voucher for use on ships for doubloons.

Sign in to follow this