You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Curepto

Is that hard to get Richelieu now?

76 comments in this topic

Players
12 posts
288 battles

Hi, i've been grinding for Charles Martel, but i've regret it. Because, i like the Richelieu. Is that hard to get it now?

WorldOfWarships64_2020_11_18_01_49_13_700.thumb.png.242415ea0576849836e0fa83bc006167.png

• Cool 1

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,097 posts
5,462 battles

All smooth sailing from Normandie on in. None of the other three impressed me whether on paper or in practice.

• Cool 2

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles

It's not hard. Turenne, Courbet and Bretagne are low tier trash, kinda, Normandie and Lyon are derp BBs with good speed, insane turning for that speed, troll armour and while the guns suck in every possible way other than number of them, their quantity is a quality of its own.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[XTREM]
Players
1,885 posts
14,428 battles

All the low tiers as far as I remember were kind of painful in this line but Normandie and Lyon are a blast. 

• Cool 1

Players
322 posts
7,686 battles
6 minutes ago, Miragetank90 said:

All the low tiers as far as I remember were kind of painful in this line but Normandie and Lyon are a blast. 

Really? I had a lot of fun in them, Normandie as well. Lyon is ok in my opinion, haven't played her that much

Players
12 posts
288 battles
19 dakika önce, HaachamaShipping dedi:

It's not hard. Turenne, Courbet and Bretagne are low tier trash, kinda, Normandie and Lyon are derp BBs with good speed, insane turning for that speed, troll armour and while the guns suck in every possible way other than number of them, their quantity is a quality of its own.

I've decided  Free-XP to Bretagne and start grinding from it. Is that good choice?

[XTREM]
Players
1,885 posts
14,428 battles
4 minutes ago, Dominik_Tirpitz said:

Really? I had a lot of fun in them, Normandie as well. Lyon is ok in my opinion, haven't played her that much

I played 9 games across the 3 from Turenne to Bretagne, so not many but I can't say it was fun.

There's a few low tier guilty pleasures I like to play occasionally(Like Mikasa, Yubari or Varyag) but these ones didn't do it for me. 

Players
12 posts
288 battles
1 dakika önce, Miragetank90 dedi:

I played 9 games across the 3 from Turenne to Bretagne, so not many but I can't say it was fun.

There's a few low tier guilty pleasures I like to play occasionally(Like Mikasa, Yubari or Varyag) but these ones didn't do it for me. 

I've played with Turenne for 10 matches i think. Painful things for me was it has short-range (only 11 KM) and very slow turret traverse.

[SHAFT]
Players
11,026 posts
9,449 battles

Lyon id rate in top 3 of T7 BBs. Sinop is first naturally :Smile_hiding:

But Richelieu basicly has the same gun caliber and amount as Bismarck. Only difference is ofc, Richelieu has 2x4 frontturrets, while Bismarck gets 4x2.

To me, both arent that great, and i think amongst the worst T8 BBs.

Players
570 posts
26,311 battles

If you like the french Brawlers than this will be an easy Grind for you too.

I have grinded them all the way to T10  and I kept all of them escept T3 and 4.

French and German BBs are my favorites in this Game.

• Cool 1

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
1 hour ago, DFens_666 said:

But Richelieu basicly has the same gun caliber and amount as Bismarck. Only difference is ofc, Richelieu has 2x4 frontturrets, while Bismarck gets 4x2.

Bismarck has better dispersion, same sigma. Bismarck reloads in 26s, Rchelieu in 30s. Richelieu, imo, is the worst tech tree BB, but only because someone has to be and I consider all T8 BBs with the exception of the Odin as at least solid and worth their weight if played well. Richelieu is to me a ship that isn't incredibly strong, but can be incredibly fun, when you actually use the speed to get in good positions.

• Cool 1

Players
3,962 posts
5,268 battles
3 hours ago, DFens_666 said:

Richelie among worst in T8? I would disagree.

Among silver ships of that tier he is the best for me, but oppinions are different.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 2

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,097 posts
5,462 battles
5 hours ago, Curepto said:

I've decided  Free-XP to Bretagne and start grinding from it. Is that good choice?

Certainly helps that the Bretagne, Normandie, and Lyon all use the same guns, just get more of them with the other two.

Didn't really play Bretagne all that much as she just felt to me like  a another 21 knotter, and I frankly had my fill of them with the USN bb's.

As for Richie Rich as I like to call her, I have seriously mixed emotions about the Richeleu, but I'd much rather be in her than a Kansas at least.:Smile-_tongue:

[AIGLE]
[AIGLE]
Players
9 posts
Vor 6 Stunden, Curepto sagte:

Hi, i've been grinding for Charles Martel, but i've regret it. Because, i like the Richelieu. Is that hard to get it now?

Hard? No, there is no "difficulty" in grinding tech trees. This is my port, and I have just reached account level 15.

shot-20.11.18_06.30.06-0260.jpg

[-TPF-]
Players
4,216 posts
17,610 battles
9 hours ago, Curepto said:

I've played with Turenne for 10 matches i think. Painful things for me was it has short-range (only 11 KM) and very slow turret traverse.

Turenne is not a fun ship to play. Not only is it agonisingly hard to get the thing into a decent firing position, Tier III dispersion means it just shotguns around everything you fire at. Courbet is quite a decent ship for Tier IV, but no-one plays Tier IV unless it is Orion levels of OP. Bretagne is a ship I have a fondness for - I used to play it in Ranked Sprints - and although it has a lot of plus points (decent enough guns, Secondaries, AA, turning circle) it also has a lot of negatives (small HP pool, indifferent armour, lack of range). It's worth playing (perhaps in co-op) to just get feel of it. Normandie is where the line gets going and that's a decent ship. 

[JRM]
Players
7,006 posts
9 hours ago, Curepto said:

Yes, Bretagne is slow but not a bad ship overall

Players
3,962 posts
5,268 battles
3 hours ago, JeanDavidNau said:

Hard? No, there is no "difficulty" in grinding tech trees. This is my port, and I have just reached account level 15.

shot-20.11.18_06.30.06-0260.jpg

And now you need to practice on that tier for some time, until moving up to tier 10.

Tho, I dont understand why rush to upper tiers. There is a lot of players on T10 with low amount of battles (aka. low experience).

• Cool 1

[KAKE]
Players
2,714 posts
6,681 battles

I skipped straight to Normandie through one of the christmas campaigns, so can't really speak on the lower tier ships. But Normandie and Lyon are fairly enjoyable experiences. Not the tankiest of BBs, and they need to show an uncomfortable amount of skirt to get all their guns firing.  But they can wiggle those butts fairly well, so with a bit of situational awareness you can avoid the worst paddlings. And while their accuracy leaves something to be desired, you're pretty much bound to do some damage with each salvo by virtue of the number of shells going downrange.

I fear Richelieu may be a somewhat less enjoyable experience, but that's mainly because I'm a bit too used to playing her up-tiered, up-gimmicked sister.

Players
357 posts
4,013 battles
Il y a 22 minutes, Yedwy a dit :

Yes, Bretagne is slow but not a bad ship overall

Confirm that. It may sound meh at first, but you have to practice it a bit and it begins to shine - not an awful accuracy (looking at you, New York), quite agile for a dreadnought.

And after that, Normandie and Lyon are a blast. Litteraly for Lyon when you find a broadside below 15 km :cap_look:Only ship Lyon struggles to brutalize is the Izumo and its thicc belt, otherwise even T9 broadsides are a valid AP target. Thanks the high velocity.

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
5 hours ago, Hades_warrior said:

Richelie among worst in T8? I would disagree.

Among silver ships of that tier he is the best for me, but oppinions are different.

Main issue with Richelieu is that it has a pretty low skill floor and certainly one of the lowest skill ceilings.

If you look at the defenses of the ship, it's hard to citadel, but not impossible, so it can let people get away with things they shouldn't do, but does not necessarily do so. Its armour protection apart from citadel is pretty mediocre, its hp values and heal are nothing special. The concealment is frankly poor, the maneuverability is good thanks to speed boost, but not outstandingly so that it'd make it insanely good against people who account for that. If you compare it to other BBs at the tier, Russians and Germans are way better at just not taking damage when angled properly and mitigating HE damage. Monarch has a more vulnerable citadel, but way better concealment and repair, meaning scrubs get devastated, but people who angle can make it last a good bit longer. NC gets 38 mm armour and improved repair to wither the incoming fire. Amagi is about as mediocre in defense, but hey, they still got a decent hp pool.

Offensively, the ship has good range, good pen, good shell velocity, but with one of the worst accuracies at its tier, the Richelieu is nnot going to devastate at range. It will get a few cits at range, but hardly ever anything substantial. Still worth the occasional opportunistic shot, but nothing more. At shorter ranges, Richelieu is starting to approach overpen territory surpassed only by Roma. The dpm is poor with 30s reload and 8 guns only. And 38 cm guns are the worst among tech tree BBs. At least Bismarck gets a 26s reload, Monarch even gets 25s with one more gun. If the opponent angles, Monarch also has better HE to fall back on. Richelieu at mid range cannot hope to compete with the likes of NC, Vladivostok or Amagi that just bring more guns of bigger caliber, often with better accuracy at these ranges (in NC's case, at any range).

In terms of gimmicks, 8% speed boost is cool, but easily one of the least useful gimmicks in the game for a BB. It is best used to get into good positions faster than the enemy can anticipate or respond to, but thanks to the mediocre gunnery, Richelieu isn't going to get the amount of leverage out of these positions that one might expect. Lastly, it should be noted that the great base range partly has to compensate for no spotter plane. Spotter plane is a far more flexible tool than just having better base range though.

It's a fun ship, I like it, still got it in port. For randoms, you can do great in it and it is forgiving when you stay mobile, but other T8 BBs either scale way better with player skill (NC, Vladivostok, Monarch) or they just have better tools at their disposal (Bismarck). The only tech tree option that I could consider worse is Kansas once it is officially added to the silver ships. It'd still have a better gun caliber and 12 guns to make up for a 40s reload over 30s, but 23 knots, crap armour, crap accuracy means Richelieu still can do more in a battle. If one considers premiums, Odin is imo worse, thanks to having just outright pathetic main battery that has no redeeming features. But for example Gascogne is just outriight better. 

3 hours ago, lafeel said:

Certainly helps that the Bretagne, Normandie, and Lyon all use the same guns, just get more of them with the other two.

Certainly doesn't help that Bretagne guns at T5 are nothing special and you basically take a mediocre to poor T5 gun all the way up to T7. At T7, a KGV has more pen than Lyon. If there's one thing bad about the T5 to T7 that you'd really like to be better, it has to be the guns. As said before, the only thing Normandie and Lyon have going there is that they got a lot of them. But for Bretagne... it's just a worse NY.

[SHAFT]
Players
356 posts
4,372 battles

Normandie is quite fun, but Lyon is not only very strong but hilariously fun to play - one of my favourite current ships. Would definitely recommend both.