You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
arquata2019

Which ships to buy for coal before removal

20 comments in this topic

[MIAO]
Players
1,523 posts
7,216 battles

Howdy, it's me Mario all over again.

So, take a look at this beautiful handmade screenshot (i asked @ThisDreamZ for which ships to pick, i already have an idea thx)

i mean, don't look at how many doubloons i have, the question for this topic is: which ships should i pick between Thunderer, Yoshino, Moskva, Salem or Marceau? (capital letters becuz yes)

i am someone who plays cvs a lot, and i also play dds a lot, i support, i cap, i hunt enemy dds, i torp... usual dd life, i'm someone who plays for support.

i have next to no experience in thunderer because it's a battleship, yoshino i don't know, moskva seems op and fun, same for salem, but marceau it's a dd so i like her.

i'll use my steel to get the ship you all "choose the best one" and if possible why should i pick said ship; if all of you are angry i'll spare my steel and grind coal :))

shot-20.11.17_12.59.01-0331.jpg

[RONIN]
Players
468 posts
4,284 battles
23 minutes ago, arquata2019 said:

but marceau it's a dd so i like her.

It seems you have answered yourself.

It all depends what you like, not what is the best. Dont buy something and then never play it. 

• Cool 5

[MIAO]
Players
1,523 posts
7,216 battles
1 minuto fa, Wulf_Ace ha scritto:

It seems you have answered yourself.

It all depends what you like, not what is the best. Dont buy something and then never play it. 

yyyyeah but 8.9km range is scary, no smoke...

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles

Before removal? Thunderer.

In general? Can't speak on Pommern or Salem, but rest is pretty solid.

Thunderer is one of the best BBs in the game, with low skill floor and high skill ceiling, due to its incredible accuracy, great handling, great conceal and strong ammo choices.

Yoshino is often overlooked, but if you mind your angling, the ship can take quite some punishment and her range and good HE damage output for a supercruiser, combined with accurate AP make her a pretty decent ship overall. Certainly in randoms with CVs and all, having 21.3 km range + spotter plane makes it far less punishing than any short-ranged cruiser.

Marceu is overall a good ship, though it requires a good bit of skill. The ship often is compared to Kleber and like Kleber you got insane speed, good survivability and no smoke. However with the shell arcs being questionable, you cannot just play it like Kleber, unless your enemy is dumb enough to just go straight and predictable, because hitting at range isn't easy. So you play it as part-time Kleber, part-time Colbert, sometimes even as parttime Yolo-Emilio, when you go around a corner at 54 knots and shove torps up someone. I think the ship basically is flexible, but it shines most when someone has a proper grasp on what they can do with it in any given moment.

Georgia is a fast BB. Very fun, but if you go for BB, I'd go for Thunderer instead.

[MIAO]
Players
1,523 posts
7,216 battles
17 minuti fa, HaachamaShipping ha scritto:

Before removal? Thunderer.

In general? Can't speak on Pommern or Salem, but rest is pretty solid.

Thunderer is one of the best BBs in the game, with low skill floor and high skill ceiling, due to its incredible accuracy, great handling, great conceal and strong ammo choices.

Yoshino is often overlooked, but if you mind your angling, the ship can take quite some punishment and her range and good HE damage output for a supercruiser, combined with accurate AP make her a pretty decent ship overall. Certainly in randoms with CVs and all, having 21.3 km range + spotter plane makes it far less punishing than any short-ranged cruiser.

Marceu is overall a good ship, though it requires a good bit of skill. The ship often is compared to Kleber and like Kleber you got insane speed, good survivability and no smoke. However with the shell arcs being questionable, you cannot just play it like Kleber, unless your enemy is dumb enough to just go straight and predictable, because hitting at range isn't easy. So you play it as part-time Kleber, part-time Colbert, sometimes even as parttime Yolo-Emilio, when you go around a corner at 54 knots and shove torps up someone. I think the ship basically is flexible, but it shines most when someone has a proper grasp on what they can do with it in any given moment.

Georgia is a fast BB. Very fun, but if you go for BB, I'd go for Thunderer instead.

i'll get marceau then, can i snipe behind islands with range module? (i don't remember how far she can fire)

[SV]
Players
1,107 posts
14,156 battles
1 hour ago, arquata2019 said:

Howdy, it's me Mario all over again.

So, take a look at this beautiful handmade screenshot (i asked @ThisDreamZ for which ships to pick, i already have an idea thx)

i mean, don't look at how many doubloons i have, the question for this topic is: which ships should i pick between Thunderer, Yoshino, Moskva, Salem or Marceau? (capital letters becuz yes)

i am someone who plays cvs a lot, and i also play dds a lot, i support, i cap, i hunt enemy dds, i torp... usual dd life, i'm someone who plays for support.

i have next to no experience in thunderer because it's a battleship, yoshino i don't know, moskva seems op and fun, same for salem, but marceau it's a dd so i like her.

i'll use my steel to get the ship you all "choose the best one" and if possible why should i pick said ship; if all of you are angry i'll spare my steel and grind coal :))

shot-20.11.17_12.59.01-0331.jpg

why diidnt you get moskva before it was turned into coal ? 

ps i have them all muahahah :cap_haloween:

• Funny 1

Players
502 posts
6,378 battles

I regretted getting Thunderer. It's ok, really accurate and I have gotten some huge damage games, but it's hardly fun to play and I lose more often than I win. Before someone jumps down my throat, I *don’t * sit at the J-line flinging HE, I am an AP-Thunderer.

The Moskva just seems mind-numbingly dull - especially for a DD-main, I'd think. Find an island, hug it, go 5 meters forward, 5 meters back and shoot at targets of opportunity. Now, good Moskva players are scary, but most of them just sit there, eventually getting penned or burnt to death. :cap_old:

Players
3,300 posts
20,023 battles
13 minutes ago, arquata2019 said:

i'll get marceau then, can i snipe behind islands with range module? (i don't remember how far she can fire)

Marceau is so frikkin fast you can speed tank. It's a lot of fun. You do however need to adept a destroyer leader type of gameplay where you are a far better khaba. If you had fun in other frnch high tier destroyers, like I do, Marceau is for you.

I bought battleships becasue they are awesome according to BB players, but they sit in port unused mostly now a days. just not my thing. That's why I still haven't bought the Thunderer. Sniping BS BB meh.

[MIAO]
Players
1,523 posts
7,216 battles

thank you all for the answers, so i'll get the marceau, it hasn't got hydro, i can't cap like how i do normally...

should i watch yuro's guide on marceau?

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
15 minutes ago, arquata2019 said:

You can snipe behind islands with or without range module. Without it's 13.8 or so, with it's 16+ km (assuming you use AFT). Be aware though that the shells need almost 19s to get to the max range at over 16 km. Due to how the shell arcs are though, you can even fire over some islands that seem otherwise impossible to fire over, which is why I said, this is part-time Colbert. It's not a cap contester, the concealment is too trash for that. You can contest caps only if you know what's in there, you know it has no support and you can rush it down and dpm it to death. Typically, the best approach to playing for the objective in Marceau is the approach most of these poor conceal DDs have (and which even better concealed DDs should opt for if they otherwise just find themselves in a silly stand-off) and to just work on killing all the support (or getting them killed), so the DD is left on their own. Thus, sometimes you will open water gunboat (Against BBs or cruisers with slow shells at range), sometimes you sit behind some cover and just throw shells out to burn someone down. Sometimes you go for stealth torp... and rarely you go for yolo torp.

1 minute ago, arquata2019 said:

thank you all for the answers, so i'll get the marceau, it hasn't got hydro, i can't cap like how i do normally...

Yes. You can also watch the guide on Tashkent, because to a degree you will need those strategies too.

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
939 posts
10,342 battles

Looks like you already got an answer, what was the point of this thread again?

If you're a DD main, go for the Marceau. If you want the master dd race, go for the Pommern.

Players
1,913 posts
8,237 battles

Thunderer: strong but bit boring, if you don’t like to snipe/burn things down

Yoshino: less strong but similarly boring

Moskva: powercrept, go for Stalin instead

Salem: good, but Des Moines is better, get her instead

Marceau: fun fun fun, some say Kleber is better, but they usually don’t have her

Pommern: fun fun, but you suck about a third of the time, when fights develop into a sniping contest.

Georgia: fun, but Massachusetts is more fun

• Cool 1

Players
1,913 posts
8,237 battles
58 minutes ago, arquata2019 said:

You. can cap, if there are no other DDs. If there are other DDs then kill them first with superior DPM and aggression using your speed, but avoid being focused by half of the red team.

Players
1,052 posts
15,102 battles

What I've been pointing out to people asking this question is that Thunderer is the only T10 Royal Navy 'special' ship currently available. There are no T9 Premiums in development that have been announced. Plymouth has been announced but not its currency. If Plymouth is not Coal but RB/Steel/2m fxp then a lot of people looking for a high-tier Premium RN ship for captain training are going to have to look at the T8s. None of which are so forgiving of captain builds as the idiot proof Thunderer.

You don't have to make any decision until 0.10.1 is imminent, but can you afford to let her go?

[BRITS]
Beta Tester
385 posts
8,107 battles

Thunderer, Georgia, Alaska.

[L4GG]
Players
3,470 posts
11,259 battles
9 hours ago, arquata2019 said:

watch out for the shells arcs i heard they were like shooting the moon style.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
3,225 posts
3,720 battles

If I didn't already have the Smolensk and the Kléber, I'd probably go for the Marceau. As it is, I've long been planning to get the Thunderer, partly for much the same reasons as given by DanSilverwing in post #16 above, but mainly because I need to up my BB skills anyway and I've heard so much good about the Thunderer in general.

That said, if you don't already have the Alaska, I would definitely recommend getting her if you'd otherwise risk missing out on her. She is hands down one of the best tier IX cruisers in the game, in my opinion.