You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Discontinued

Thinking of returning

61 comments in this topic

Players
8 posts

Hi guys

I'm thinking of returning to the game after a long break although I'm not sure?

I haven't played for quite a long time save one of two games around 6 months ago 

I'm kind of of busy and generally can jump on WOT or planes for quick session but playing WOWS I remember getting interrupted a lot due to the long length of battles sometimes 20 mins is this still the case?

Carriers where annoying are they still as dominant?

I do remember  a few times getting detonated almost at spawn does this still happen are the spotting mechanics still strange,

Are the new Submarines making the game less campy or much like the wheeled vehicles in WOT causing havok?

Thanks in advance

Disco

:cap_cool:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[THESO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,532 posts
9,533 battles
  • 20min is the max for a battle yes. Though most don't last that long.
  • Yes
  • You can't get detonated at full hp anymore
  • There's nothing weird about spotting mechanics
  • There are no submarines

(Shameless plug, if you need an invite link for a returner's package let me know)

• Cool 2

[SV]
Players
1,092 posts
13,987 battles

subs not in game yet.

cvs still as dominant.

detonation can still happen use a flag. 

spotting have not changed.

most matches over in 14-15 but yes can take 20.

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
28,155 posts
14,910 battles
6 minutes ago, Discontinued said:
  1. Carriers where annoying are they still as dominant?
  2. I do remember  a few times getting detonated almost at spawn does this still happen are the spotting mechanics still strange,
  3. Are the new Submarines making the game less campy or much like the wheeled vehicles in WOT causing havok?
  1. They are still strong
  2. Detonations at the beginning are more rare now, spotting works as always
  3. Subs are not part of the game yet and hopefully never will be or it will get more campy
  • Cool 1

[XTREM]
Players
1,885 posts
14,428 battles

The battle time-limit hasn't changed, carriers are still a thing, yes, and spotting mechanics haven't changed in that time.

Submarines haven't been introduced to randoms yet.

[ZEN]
Players
82 posts
2,148 battles

You can only detonate if you're under %75 health and still take the damage necessary to detonate your ship (ammo rack etc).

• Cool 1

Players
1,876 posts
19,377 battles

Battles can still go up to 20 minutes but in my experience its pretty rare that's the case.

Carriers are still a significant issue the main discussion about them is now over 5100 posts, and practically every day new threads are started and locked on the whole issue of carriers. They certainly are still a dominant force in battle (of course factoring the skill or lack thereof of the carrier player). 

Detonations are still possible but its not that common, and don't forget the relevant flag that can stop them happening. 

Submarines are still in development with no release date and everything is subject to change with them, but thus far they give every indication of making the game significantly more campy and passive, that's certainly been my experience when testing them. 

If you are coming back it might be a good idea to do so in the mid tiers, in the lower tiers there are substantial issues around tier 4 carriers that might not be the most fun experience to deal with. As for high tier that of course can be very unforgiving when reacquainting yourself with the game mechanics. On the plus side soon the update ready for Christmas will come out with the usual rewards so certainly December might be a good time to take a look. 

• Cool 2

Players
746 posts
10,862 battles
2 hours ago, Discontinued said:

Hi guys

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

no, srsly, hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

why on earth do that to yourself?

• Funny 1

Players
3,283 posts
19,938 battles

It's a bit of a shitshow to be honest. A lot of really bad play in higher tiers, if you are not used to annoy carriers, midtiers are a bit of a shitty place, lots of carriers there. It's still the same game. I woudn't recommend it to anyone any more though.

• Cool 6

[LUZ1]
Players
872 posts
12,848 battles

My recommendation would depend on your experience. Couple of K games with good WR? Sure. Mediocre stats, prob not. 

Why? Having fun in WoWs requires some base level of skill imo. If you struggle to perform, it's not great fun currently.

Main current issues imo:

- poor average player skill leads to boring or frustrating games and stomps

- poor management of game balance by WG leads to stupid game meta: CVs, radars, overmatch result in camping and yolo plays

But I still find it fun most of the time. If you have no game you like better and you can hold your own in WoWs you can give it a try.

• Cool 1

[SURFA]
Players
68 posts
5,253 battles

If you want quicker games then co-op rather then random be the answer.

I will usually do the daily missions with the damage in random, followed by the base xp and win in co-op.

load the Pommern up, hit W and go in all guns/torpedoes blazing.    Games usually fairly quick as the bots get destroyed fairly quickly unless you are unlucky and the only human on the team.

usually puts a smile on face going through those,

if just want causal and quick gaming then may be worth considering rather then random.    Depends upon what you want.

• Cool 1

[JRM]
Players
7,024 posts
4 hours ago, Discontinued said:

Hi guys

I haven't played for quite a long time save one of two games around 6 months ago 

I'm kind of of busy and generally can jump on WOT or planes for quick session but playing WOWS I remember getting interrupted a lot due to the long length of battles sometimes 20 mins is this still the case?

I do remember  a few times getting detonated almost at spawn does this still happen are the spotting mechanics still strange,

Are the new Submarines making the game less campy or much like the wheeled vehicles in WOT causing havok?

Thanks in advance

Disco

Honestly m8 unless you went away purely because of over saturation with the game there is little point as there is nothing new to come back to...

[POP]
Players
637 posts
12,493 battles

Just refrain using money for ships or premium time before you're absolute certain you can tolerate the current CV-meta. You'll be much happier later.

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
2 hours ago, arquata2019 said:

carriers?! CARRIERS?!image.thumb.png.e99446150bf041403bdc7782d86276c8.pngimage.thumb.png.71afc25b73d664a3e6fa1334cd914271.png

fast asnwer: better don't XD

And then, on the other end of the spectrum you got...

shot-20_11.16_01_41.22-0180.thumb.jpg.43e077d7ffb2182876f4ac7c814dde9a.jpg

CVs and their interaction with the rest of the game is just an absolute shitshow.

• Cool 1

[MIAO]
Players
1,504 posts
7,095 battles
Proprio ora, HaachamaShipping ha scritto:

And then, on the other end of the spectrum you got...

shot-20_11.16_01_41.22-0180.thumb.jpg.43e077d7ffb2182876f4ac7c814dde9a.jpg

CVs and their interaction with the rest of the game is just an absolute shitshow.

yea, got 6 kills some days ago in midway

[MIAO]
Players
1,504 posts
7,095 battles

the first battle was a replay from this ranked season and i lose with 2k base exp, the other one is another ranked won, and the 6kills is hunting dds, usual cv thingies

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
14,447 posts
20,560 battles

I'm thinking of returning to the game

Don't.

Yes.

Are the new Submarines making the game less campy

No.

• Cool 5

[SM0KE]
Players
6,149 posts
14,632 battles
5 hours ago, Discontinued said:

I wouldn't say "hells, no!" *but* if you're going to essay a return, definitely do it on a f2p basis - at least initially.

As mentioned earlier, the Christmas patch might be a reasonable time, as there should be a high density of freebies to aim for...

(Edit: if you do restart, get a code from someone for the freebies.)

[RODS]
Players
1,474 posts
7,515 battles

Been playing this for a few years, much less recently, it is in no way as enjoyable as it was a few years ago still has its moments tho

Play a week or 2 but dont waste any money on it before you are sure that u like what u see

[DREAD]
Players
10,228 posts
7,164 battles
8 hours ago, Discontinued said:

Hi guys

Thanks in advance

Disco

Just try yourself - it’s still fun although not all changes are good.

Subs not yet there but will land eventually. 

• Bad 1