Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Elborshooter

About CVs and the game

11 comments in this topic

Players
6 posts
571 battles

I've been thinking a lot recently about CVs and the problems with them, and I actually think I've managed to pinpoint the problem.

CVs are the only ships in the game that can always be fun

Let me explain that in further details :

- WoWs is a thoroughly unfun game to play by design :

Basically, the game has been made with the same idea in mind than some other games like, say League of Legends. With its overly simplified controls and mechanics, which means that basically anyone with functionning eyes and fingers can hit where they want to hit (although we all know that there apparently is a lot of blind players, or one-armed ones...), added to that the fact that you can't respawn and that your every action in a game is supposed to have a lot of impact, plus other things here and there (like statistics, ranked mode, etc...) and you have a game designed to make Esport. You are expected to become good at the game.

Just try to play the game just to have fun, to play your way instead of The way, and you'll see the result. Wargaming even encourages players to try and get rid of those that don't play the way they should, or that are just not very good, "playing badly" is a motive for report for goodness sake !!

-CVs play differently :

In a CV you're not forced to try and make some damage while avoiding being smacked, you don't have to find a way to pierce through ennemy lines and to find a position where you can actually be useful. Plus you don't have to put your ship on the line to play, you basically can respawn, CVs are the only ships in the game where you can respawn. 

What that means is that you can afford to take some risks without throwing away your game, forcing you to wait until you can replay with that same ship. Thus you can easily find ways to have fun.

When I think about WoWs, I always make the comparison with War Thunder. You'll always see people there complaining about this or that vehicule being OP, which I've always found stupid. Since you can respawn and every vehicule can be easily one-shoted by the right gun, not to mention the fact that there is no actual competition in WT, there's no ranked, there's no prize, nothing, it just made no sense to me. Until I thought about it alongside WoWs, and then it became clearer. Those people complaining about OP vehicules in WT are the people that have fun by winning and crushing the ennemies. And while in War Thunder it's actually very easy to have fun differently, in World of Warships it's the only "right" way to have fun.

I'll be honest, I play CVs and I love it, it's a lot of fun, but whenever I play something else and I face them... not so fun anymore. Because in this game you can't have fun when losing.

It's the right gameplay for the wrong game

• Funny 1

[CATS]
Players
28,130 posts
14,900 battles
12 minutes ago, Elborshooter said:

CVs are the only ships in the game that can always be fun

That must the be the reason only around 4% of all battles are played in CV, because they are so much fun....

15 minutes ago, Elborshooter said:

When I think about WoWs, I always make the comparison with War Thunder. You'll always see people there complaining about this or that vehicule being OP, which I've always found stupid. Since you can respawn and every vehicule can be easily one-shoted by the right gun, not to mention the fact that there is no actual competition in WT, there's no ranked, there's no prize, nothing, it just made no sense to me.

Apart from the fact that there are verhicles more powerful than others, depending on game mode, which regularly dominate battles.

• Bad 1

Players
6 posts
571 battles
Il y a 8 minutes, ColonelPete a dit :

That must the be the reason only around 4% of all battles are played in CV, because they are so much fun....

With the amount of people bashing CVs there's a form of taboo surrounding playing CVs, I mean, countless times I've been insulted at the start of a game simply because I was playing CV, not to mention the fact that the game enforces a maximum of 4 CV/battle, so there just can't be more than 4%, it's actually impressive that it goes all the way to 4%

[AMOK]
Players
1,965 posts
8,654 battles
Vor 16 Minuten, Elborshooter sagte:

Wargaming even encourages players to try and get rid of those that don't play the way they should, or that are just not very good, "playing badly" is a motive for report for goodness sake !!

Thats simply not true. In fact WG is doing the opposit. New players can rush the ranks without anyone ever telling them how to play. The awful high tier gameplay shows that. The list of stupid things WG put into the game is endless. This is bringing the game further away from a balanced state and therefore further away from eSports. Since the introduction of CVs, competitive isn't worth watching nor worth playing. As you stated its about doing and taking damage. CVs don't fit into this system in my opinion. CVs are only fun for the CV player.

Players
6 posts
571 battles
Il y a 12 minutes, Donar79 a dit :

Thats simply not true. In fact WG is doing the opposit. New players can rush the ranks without anyone ever telling them how to play. The awful high tier gameplay shows that. The list of stupid things WG put into the game is endless. This is bringing the game further away from a balanced state and therefore further away from eSports. Since the introduction of CVs, competitive isn't worth watching nor worth playing. As you stated its about doing and taking damage. CVs don't fit into this system in my opinion. CVs are only fun for the CV player.

Oh well, I never said Wargaming actually succeeds with what it wants, quite the opposite in fact I'm just saying it wants player to report others that "play badly" except most players don't win because they're good, but because they're better, or rather, less bad than their ennemies, and in turn it makes them think they are good and it just completely screws everything

• Funny 1

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
14,441 posts
20,547 battles

Man, it is almost as if surface ships are PvP, while CVs are fundamentally PvE.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[LEEUW]
Players
2,622 posts
10,277 battles
36 minutes ago, JeanDavidNau said:

Fun to ride, but broken beyond repair.

Sounds like a girl with daddy issues. :Smile_trollface:

• Funny 1

[CATS]
Players
28,130 posts
14,900 battles
17 minutes ago, Elborshooter said:

With the amount of people bashing CVs there's a form of taboo surrounding playing CVs, I mean, countless times I've been insulted at the start of a game simply because I was playing CV, not to mention the fact that the game enforces a maximum of 4 CV/battle, so there just can't be more than 4%, it's actually impressive that it goes all the way to 4%

There was a time before that. CV were never popular. Therefore your statement that playing them can always be fun is a bit strange and contradicted by your answer.

And yes, more than 4% is possible. The MM does not prevent that.

5 minutes ago, Elborshooter said:

Oh well, I never said Wargaming actually succeeds with what it wants, quite the opposite in fact I'm just saying it wants player to report others that "play badly" except most players don't win because they're good, but because they're better, or rather, less bad than their ennemies, and in turn it makes them think they are good and it just completely screws everything

They do not want that. They just give you the option. And it is of no consequence.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Players
1,048 posts
21,449 battles
Just now, Elborshooter said:

Played five Matches in Midway, lost 7 Karma, lol.

Also I was 3 times in the first spot and won all matches. 

The thing is: CVs are mindnumbingly repetitive to play: Predrop, do a run, next squad and so on and so on. Seriously after 2 Matches in CV Im beginning to loose Braincells. 

Surface Ships are way more complex: Besides all the penetration mechanics you also have the spotting mechanic (which is imho the best feature of the game) and you can play around with it (see positioning)... that is if there is no CV in the match.

It sounds hard to belive, but for me, and I guess many others actually like a challange and like being rewarded by good positioning and knowing the game-mechanics.

• Cool 2