Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Todger_Fairmile

Fix Oaklahoma

21 comments in this topic

Players
448 posts
11,358 battles

I finished the collection in NA and won Oklahoma. It could be usable except for 2 things. 40 second reload, and 18% torpedo damage reduction. I get that WG has gone to 40 second reload for the new Tier 8-10 BB because they have so much firepower for their tiers, but 10 14" at tier 5 is the same as New York and Texas as well as roughly the same as Iron duke's 10 13.5's. I would suggest 35 seconds. As for 18% torpedo reduction it's ridiculous. New York has 28% and while low Oklahoma should have at least as much. Oklahoma needs to be fixed, 35 second reload and 28-30% torpedo reduction would make it usable, as it is the only interest would be for collectors

• Cool 3
  • Funny 2

[SHAFT]
Players
11,116 posts
9,497 battles

Those T5 premiums we get for free are often just bad

Siroco, Hill, Genova, Mikoyan... They arent intended to be good, just a "have a free ship once in a while, which you probably wont play"

The only redemption i can see for Oklahoma are the secondaries... which you probably wont use because its so slow. But you can bring them to 8km with pretty decent dispersion. The dispersion is better than Massas secondaries, alltho Massa gets ofc a greater benefit from manual sec. But this might be irrelevant when WG reworks the captain skills.

Still doesnt change the fact, that getting into secondary range would be kinda tricky, as you are the slowest ship on the battlefield, and as you said, the torp protection is on the lower end, which is not good for brawling either. So the concept is questionable at best.

• Cool 5

Players
448 posts
11,358 battles
19 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

Siroco, Hill, Genova, Mikoyan... They arent intended to be good, just a "have a free ship once in a while, which you probably wont play"

The only redemption i can see for Oklahoma are the secondaries... which you probably wont use because its so slow. But you can bring them to 8km with pretty decent dispersion. The dispersion is better than Massas secondaries, alltho Massa gets ofc a greater benefit from manual sec. But this might be irrelevant when WG reworks the captain skills.

Still doesnt change the fact, that getting into secondary range would be kinda tricky, as you are the slowest ship on the battlefield, and as you said, the torp protection is on the lower end, which is not good for brawling either. So the concept is questionable at best.

I'm not trying to make Oklahoma all that great, just at least as good as the Tier 5 tree ship. Oklahoma was supposed to be an improvement on New York class, not worse. BTW I do play Hill, Genova, and Mikoyan.

[SHAFT]
Players
11,116 posts
9,497 battles
20 minutes ago, Todger_Fairmile said:

I'm not trying to make Oklahoma all that great, just at least as good as the Tier 5 tree ship. Oklahoma was supposed to be an improvement on New York class, not worse.

Well id say, the premium T5 ships i mentioned are also worse than their techtree counterparts. In the end, WG does the balancing with the ships, so even if Oklahama is supposed to be better than NY, WG can just disregard that.

Im not saying that you are right or wrong, but its unlikely that WG intended it to be good to begin with.

20 minutes ago, Todger_Fairmile said:

BTW I do play Hill, Genova, and Mikoyan.

I saw that you play mostly coop. While i do find Mikoyan hilariously fun there too, ships are generally balanced for random battles. And those ships are kinda on the lower end of the scale, which might not matter for Coop ofc. I can see tho, why Oklahoma is a bad ship there, with being slow and bad reload.

Well, i wouldnt put my hopes up that WG is gonna buff it.

Players
666 posts
14,733 battles

So Texas which has the identical guns is 34 seconds and has 2km more range and 13% more torpedo protection. WG t5 premiums are just getting worse and worse with every step. 

Players
448 posts
11,358 battles
28 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

Well id say, the premium T5 ships i mentioned are also worse than their techtree counterparts. In the end, WG does the balancing with the ships, so even if Oklahama is supposed to be better than NY, WG can just disregard that.

Im not saying that you are right or wrong, but its unlikely that WG intended it to be good to begin with.

I saw that you play mostly coop. While i do find Mikoyan hilariously fun there too, ships are generally balanced for random battles. And those ships are kinda on the lower end of the scale, which might not matter for Coop ofc. I can see tho, why Oklahoma is a bad ship there, with being slow and bad reload.

Well, i wouldnt put my hopes up that WG is gonna buff it. 

Oklahoma is not good in PVE, it would really suck in random. I would hope that if WG wants to sell any of them in the future (Pearl Harbor anniversary comes every year) they'd give it a buff. Otherwise it will become like the Yahagi or Dreadnought, a ship that's out there but just not worth the price to buy. 

Players
448 posts
11,358 battles
3 minutes ago, The_Chiv said:

So Texas which has the identical guns is 34 seconds and has 2km more range and 13% more torpedo protection. WG t5 premiums are just getting worse and worse with every step. 

Kind of my point. I only wanted to get Oklahoma up to New York level on the theory that Texas probably had at least one refit during the war.

Players
666 posts
14,733 battles
1 minute ago, Todger_Fairmile said:

Kind of my point. I only wanted to get Oklahoma up to New York level on the theory that Texas probably had at least one refit during the war.

It had more then one. If you ever get stateside you should check it out in Galveston Texas. 

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,133 posts
5,512 battles
2 hours ago, The_Chiv said:

And considerably better AA lets not forget..

[ZEN]
Players
1,246 posts
13,899 battles

3 games 3 losses... though all were essentially due to [edited] for DDs compared to the enemy, there is no problems with the ship hull, just the guns being really unreliable and underwhelming...

[-TPF-]
Players
4,253 posts
17,777 battles
13 hours ago, DFens_666 said:

Some of those are quite fun. Hill is perfectly serviceable, Siroco a challege - in a good way, Genova is hilarious. Wouldn't play Mikoyan again.

Not sure if I need Oklahoma - I read Little White Mouse's review about the stealthy, late nerfs to her AP penetration which seem to have changed the ship from a Warspite/Kansas style Alpha strike ship to something a bit more vague. 

[SH33P]
Beta Tester
280 posts
6,940 battles
6 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

Not sure if I need Oklahoma - I read Little White Mouse's review about the stealthy, late nerfs to her AP penetration which seem to have changed the ship from a Warspite/Kansas style Alpha strike ship to something a bit more vague. 

If you check the penetration graphs of the Oklahoma, it's hilarious how bad the AP performance is.

NxoaHjE.png&key=50f07902585355ea58214b29

edit: image is from the LWM review of the ship ( https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/228831-premium-ship-review-oklahoma/ )

[DREAD]
Players
669 posts

I love, how even at 5 km Oklahoma even barely manages to penetrate the belt of König. Ok, given, König has the thickest belt armor here, but it is outright hilarious that even in melee range Oklahoma can not penetrate it. :D

So you kind of HAVE to rely on secondaries against BBs... except, well, they can still hurt you back at 15 km, while you have to derp around at <8 km.

I don't see, why she has 40 seconds reload, AND that atrocious penetration, AND that slow speed. For a bit of secondary firepower, that is good in coop.

And I am pretty sure, even if she does try to challenge said König on secondary duel, it would still lose. :D

[-TPF-]
Players
4,253 posts
17,777 battles
7 minutes ago, Zieten said:

If you check the penetration graphs of the Oklahoma, it's hilarious how bad the AP performance is.

That's the thing about it. Viribus Unitis is slow and outdated at Tier V but at least her guns are able to damage the ships she meets. Oklahoma's AP is just terrible - worse than Iron Duke, which is saying something. 

Players
10,222 posts
11,997 battles
12 hours ago, The_Chiv said:

Texas pulled from sales and nerhammer to NY when?:cap_tea:

[SHAFT]
Players
11,116 posts
9,497 battles
4 minutes ago, Bindolaf_Werebane said:

Guys, this is a premium given out for free. Let's not expect anything good here.

Yup... also we have to consider, that free premiums most likely keep the players interested in the grind. I think its a lot of work for a bad T5 premium BB. However, most people wont bother to do the research in the first place, they grind the ship, maybe play it a few times and let it be once they realize its not that great. By that time, WG is already giving us the next free Premium(s): Strasbourg, Tachibana and Yahagi for the new years event.

So at best, those medicore free premiums are there to fill the gap between bigger events.

• Cool 1

Players
2,697 posts
21,703 battles

Dude no matter how they "fix" it, it's just Tier V carrier fodder.

The only time that ship would even begin to register would be in a non-CV mode, so probably not any earlier than the next T5 Ranked.

It makes no sense to work oneself up over such pointless squabbles.

[-TPF-]
Players
4,253 posts
17,777 battles
49 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

By that time, WG is already giving us the next free Premium(s): Strasbourg, Tachibana and Yahagi for the new years event.

So at best, those medicore free premiums are there to fill the gap between bigger events.

Strasbourg will be perfectly decent at Tier VII, and I hope it's not a reward ship as I'm perfectly happy to buy it, being a French BB fan. I already have/had Tachibana and Yahagi - the Tier II is fun, Yahagi is poor. An A Hull Furutaka with more torpedoes would be a superior ship, but wouldn't have the novelty factor. 

Sign in to follow this