Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Ocsimano18

The Smaland Dilemma

12 comments in this topic

Players
1,913 posts
8,237 battles

So I can blow 2000,000 freeXP on Smaland, or continue to invest into the RB to get Siegfried, and keep 1000,000 freeXP for the next T9 freeXP ship, or put the remaining freeX into RB later. I don’t do regrinds, as I prefer to play variety. I already have the Halland, and I don’t see how Smaland is more fun with the gimped torpedoos. I understand that she’s better in ranked, but do I need to spend 2000,000 for a ranked ship? I don’t like to spam one ship in ranked, as I prefer variety. Even when I play a T10 DD nowadays, I rather choose Marceau or Shimakaze than Halland, because speed and agression on Marceau, and torp power on Shima is more fun. Given that it’s more than 6 months to get 2 million freeXP, would you invest it into getting Smaland?

• Cool 1

Players
2,271 posts
14,157 battles

Speed (on boost) and aggression - that is what Smalland has over Halland. It's very good dd but needs you put in effort to have GG every time to do well in it. Relaxed torping from max range will not do as it's not about torping as much as about gunning down radared dds and burning things down later. Works best in division. For me much better and more fun then Siegfried. For you could be opposite. Who knowns. 

• Cool 1

Players
2,307 posts
31,630 battles

Ocsi, it is not like Smaland is good for ranked and cbs only. Smaland can be good in any mode including random if the player can use it to its max. efficiency and this is valid for all other ships. It is up to a player to make use of a ship or not. 

2 mil investment is huge I agree., Marceau, Shima, Halland and Smaland all have different play styles though. Smaland is similar to Marceau, Halland similar to Shima yes but with major differences, which you know. With the same logic I could tell you not to get Siegfried if you have Agir since they are so similar play style wise (minus the Siegfried is better Agir). 

If you don't do Research Bureau, your only access to RB ships is skipping the lines with fxp. In that case, Siegfried would your choice.

If you think you might do some RB in the future, then don't waste your fxp on skipping lines. Get a different ship instead.

I got all the RB ships. When i was regrinding there were times i skipped a tier, not the whole line, and most of the time not the whole tier, only partially. That's because accumulating fxp takes long time without, short time with resources and those resources also cost lots of time and/or money to collect.  

Don't try to justify ships to yourself by thinking, this one is similar to that, that ones is almost same, etc. Just think and picture yourself in Smaland, and Siegfried or other ships and go for the one you like imagining most.

• Cool 2

[GW_KR]
Players
286 posts
13,596 battles

According to dev.blog Småland - along with other ships such as Thunderer - will be removed. Se below cut-out from the blog. 
I was working for it anyway and will try very hard now to get it before its gone. Estimated time to 10.1 is about 3 months. 

CHANGES IN AVAILABILITY OF SEVERAL SHIPS

In Update 0.10.1 several ships will no longer be available to obtain

Commanders!

Starting from Update 0.10.1, the following ships will no longer be available to obtain:

• British battleship Thunderer, Tier X;
  • European destroyer Smaland, Tier X;
  • American battleship Georgia, Tier IX;
  • American cruiser Alaska, Tier IX;
  • American battleship Massachusetts, Tier VIII.

[RODS]
Players
1,506 posts
7,589 battles
1 hour ago, Ocsimano18 said:

So I can blow 2000,000 freeXP on Smaland, or continue to invest into the RB to get Siegfried, and keep 1000,000 freeXP for the next T9 freeXP ship, or put the remaining freeX into RB later. I don’t do regrinds, as I prefer to play variety. I already have the Halland, and I don’t see how Smaland is more fun with the gimped torpedoos. I understand that she’s better in ranked, but do I need to spend 2000,000 for a ranked ship? I don’t like to spam one ship in ranked, as I prefer variety. Even when I play a T10 DD nowadays, I rather choose Marceau or Shimakaze than Halland, because speed and agression on Marceau, and torp power on Shima is more fun. Given that it’s more than 6 months to get 2 million freeXP, would you invest it into getting Smaland?

I would like to get the Småland (have been on the ship (museum) several times as it is in my home town) but the 2 million FXP has always seemed too much

Think I "payed" 750k FXP for the Missouri so where they came up with the 2000000 FXP for a 1 tier higher DD is beyond insane

I have several tier 10 and am working towards both Harugumo and Shima so no.. FXP is of more use elsewhere

PS.. Have u considered the Hayate ? :Smile_veryhappy::Smile_trollface:

[LEEUW]
Players
2,639 posts
10,310 battles
1 hour ago, Ocsimano18 said:

Given that it’s more than 6 months to get 2 million freeXP, would you invest it into getting Smaland?

Yes, smaland wont come back so get her while you can. The Siegfried you can get at any time later on.

[GW_KR]
Players
286 posts
13,596 battles
10 minutes ago, GarrusBrutus said:

Yes, smaland wont come back so get her while you can. The Siegfried you can get at any time later on.

I agree. Småland will be a rare ship in the future. Comperatively speaking...

Players
2,702 posts
21,731 battles

The other thing Smaland has over Halland is the option to just switch in your Friesland captain with his gunboating skill set. BFT means it then actually has even a little more base continuous AA damage than Halland, 413 to 394. It's not much more but you do have it all the time without relying on the gimped "Defensive" AA. (Until your AA guns get destroyed but hey.)

Players
103 posts
8,910 battles

I love the smaland. People underestimate how good the guns are with a full gun build, and with radar you can assasinate almost any other dd one on one. You have to be careful and pick your moments but for me it was worth it.

Players
3,300 posts
20,023 battles
2 hours ago, Ronchabale said:

PS.. Have u considered the Hayate ? :Smile_veryhappy::Smile_trollface:

Yep. I chose Hayate over Smalland. Random solo IJN performance for me personally so far below.:cap_like:

image.thumb.png.7a8a54f103d0042704a6ba0f0b6034b5.png

• Cool 2

Players
1,913 posts
8,237 battles
8 hours ago, FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor said:

The other thing Smaland has over Halland is the option to just switch in your Friesland captain with his gunboating skill set. BFT means it then actually has even a little more base continuous AA damage than Halland, 413 to 394. It's not much more but you do have it all the time without relying on the gimped "Defensive" AA. (Until your AA guns get destroyed but hey.)

I don’t have the Friesland, but my Halland captain has BFT. I put BFT on Shima, too, as I don’t like to telegraph my presence with RPF, while setting up a torp strike.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this