You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
CaptainWolf11

ARP Maya and other copy-paste collab ships

19 comments in this topic

Players
6 posts
2,639 battles

So this is something that's been bothering me for a while. 
If you look at most collaboration ships I.E. All the ARP ships, AL Rom- Oh sorry Littorio and the Warhammer ships ect. Have all been pretty much copy-pastes of ships that were already in the game to begin with just with a different camo (most don't even have any visual model changes).

And I can't help but think about the wasted potential or just the plane laziness when I look at most of them. For example, what if they made the Warhammer ships unique in the sense that they make them more secondary focused? (kind of what the Massachusetts is to the Alabama) Or what if they had fun with the ARP Kongos and made them all slightly different from one another? (One having more secondary range, the other having slightly more AA ect.)

But no. Even when it comes down to just changing a few values to make them unique (I don't think a 0.1 sigma buff and 3sec longer reload is "unique". Although it's miles better than just a straight copy paste.) they can't be bothered for whatever reason.
What happened to the HSF Harekaze style of collab premiums? Why didn't they make more of them? I love the fact that I can choose what kind of gun I can equip and makes it way more memorable.

And now I come to the ARP Maya... I don't even know what to say. The Maya in ARP for anyone who doesn't know, has slightly altered superstructure and the C turret being removed. So what you see in-game as "ARP Maya" isn't even ARP Maya. It's just a Atago cosplaying as the ARP Maya. And I don't even know if I should call WGs decision here lazy as in WoWs Blitz there is a full and accurate Maya model in the game. This is what baffled me the most. They already have an accurate model of Maya and all they had to do was add on the ARP skin to it and add it into normal WoWs. So did they not even try or something? I'm at a loss for words as I'm very confused by the decision making that went on.

Another ship that comes close to the Maya in my opinion is the AL Littorio. As it's 1: not even a Littorio. 2: The anime art in Azur Lane is more accurate to the real life ship than the WoWs version. (the art in AL has the two port side anchors there, doesn't have the raised nose and has the different bridge that the Vittorio Veneto and Littorio actually had.) and 3: The stats aren't even any different than from the Roma. They could've made her like the Warhammer ships with .1 more sigma but 3sec more reload at least. 

And I guess I'll end this post by asking; why? Why are WG so lazy/uncaring for their collab ships while in AL for example they add completely new ships. (With different non recycled art and unique skills) They could be making more money by actually making them unique to play. (as if you look at the number of battles for most of these collab ships they are near or are the least played ships on their tier)

Either way, thanks for reading this post of the semi-frustration I have with the missed potential that these ships could have. And would love to read if anyone else feels the same way or if I maybe looked over something.

• Cool 4
  • Bad 1

[PUPSI]
Privateer
11,595 posts
6 minutes ago, CaptainWolf11 said:

Have all been pretty much copy-pastes of ships that were already in the game to begin with just with a different camo (most don't even have any visual model changes).

and that's how it should be...collab ships shouldn't differ at all, so that one doesn't "miss" anything if he do not like a collab

12 minutes ago, CaptainWolf11 said:

Or what if they had fun with the ARP Kongos and made them all slightly different from one another?

horrible idea

12 minutes ago, CaptainWolf11 said:

They could be making more money by actually making them unique to play.

:Smile_facepalm:

• Cool 1

[-TPF-]
Players
4,215 posts
17,601 battles

Because it isn't accurate ship detail that people are paying for with the ARP ships: it's the character: the garish camo and squeaky anime girl captain. 

What is starting to annoy me is their recycling of old assets in normal game ships when there are real differences (Littorio, Belfast) or when it results in dodginess (Albemarle, Cheshire and their Neptune hull) and the fact they can't do it so that you can have a sensible version of an otherwise splendid ship messed up by gimmicks (Q: can I haz a Zara class cruiser with normal shells pls? A: No. Not until it's in Azur Lane, anyway ). 

Players
6 posts
2,639 battles
42 minutes ago, Klopirat said:

and that's how it should be...collab ships shouldn't differ at all, so that one doesn't "miss" anything if he do not like a collab

WG recently has made collabs very friendly to people who don't like the source material. For example: the bonuses you get from the premium camo on your ship stay on even if you disable them. So if they DO make a unique collab ship it shouldn't matter if a person doesn't like what the collab entails as they can just disable everything to do with it (par from the name I guess)

45 minutes ago, Klopirat said:

horrible idea

I'd like to know why this would be a "horrible idea". As an extra 1km secondary range doesn't break anything and only adds to the playstyles you can do with said ship. Want to actually meme and build a Kongo for secondaries? Now it's somewhat viable although suboptimal. Fun > min-maxing in my opinion. 

48 minutes ago, Klopirat said:

:Smile_facepalm:

Again: they are making collabs more friendly to the people who don't care about them. Againt, example: If they made the Littorio actually look like the Littorio I bet a bunch more people would've bought it just to have the "Littorio". And the people who don't like the weeb camo just disable it. 

If you disagree with what I said please let me know. I'm always open to change my mind.

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
1 hour ago, invicta2012 said:

(Q: can I haz a Zara class cruiser with normal shells pls? A: No. Not until it's in Azur Lane, anyway ). 

Azur Lane has Zara for a good amount of time already. You still won't get a non-SAP one in WoWS though. 

Fun fact, she also has SAP in AL.

[-TPF-]
Players
4,215 posts
17,601 battles
40 minutes ago, HaachamaShipping said:

Azur Lane has Zara for a good amount of time already. You still won't get a non-SAP one in WoWS though. 

I know. I googled it. God, I wish I hadn't. 

40 minutes ago, HaachamaShipping said:

Fun fact, she also has SAP in AL.

I'm not against SAP at all, I still play Zara and Gorizia but I found the Tier VIII a bit boring for World of Co-op. With a game mode played in open water with lots of dodging, the last thing you want is two ammo types which can be rendered useless by nothing more than geometry. Hence the request for a "normal" version of one of the best looking ships in WoWs.

[ZEN]
Players
1,223 posts
13,836 battles
6 hours ago, invicta2012 said:

I'm not against SAP at all, I still play Zara and Gorizia but I found the Tier VIII a bit boring for World of Co-op. With a game mode played in open water with lots of dodging, the last thing you want is two ammo types which can be rendered useless by nothing more than geometry. Hence the request for a "normal" version of one of the best looking ships in WoWs.

Can they do that for the entire line and also fix the handling and reload, also change the smokes so you get more but they don't last as long and can I have Hydro... You know things that will make the ship better to play like the Duca D'Aosta?

[THESO]
Players
1,267 posts
16,397 battles
10 hours ago, CaptainWolf11 said:

And I guess I'll end this post by asking; why? Why are WG so lazy/uncaring for their collab ships while in AL for example they add completely new ships. (With different non recycled art and unique skills) They could be making more money by actually making them unique to play. (as if you look at the number of battles for most of these collab ships they are near or are the least played ships on their tier)

Either way, thanks for reading this post of the semi-frustration I have with the missed potential that these ships could have. And would love to read if anyone else feels the same way or if I maybe looked over something.

Those collab ships are imo supposed to satisfy a purely aesthetic demand. If they were unique in a way that they had a different play style, then the general player base might end up liking them better. Some of them might even be superior in a way that they dominate their tier. But then I wouldn't want to endure those anime looks, just to get a decent ship. So looks and performance do and should not mix.

[IRON7]
Players
613 posts
10,886 battles

I'd say ARP afficionados would like the new ARP skins, however, will they spend that much money on obtaining them?  

I, personally, doubt that. I sure won't.

Do I like the ARP art? It's different. It grows on you. It does look 'kinda cool' (does this date me?)

Do I like the idiot squeaky voices of the ARP Anime Captains? No!

Maybe WG will offer some grind missions to get the new ARP Ships & skins for no money like in the earlier old days/years of WoWS (somehow, I doubt that). 

[4_0_4]
Players
7,761 posts
14,263 battles
17 hours ago, HMS_Kilinowski said:

Those collab ships are imo supposed to satisfy a purely aesthetic demand. If they were unique in a way that they had a different play style, then the general player base might end up liking them better.

Like Harekaze?

[THESO]
Players
1,267 posts
16,397 battles
17 hours ago, Zemeritt said:

Like Harekaze?

Harekaze is a good example of what happens, when you deviate from that principle. There is lots of players who would be interested in the ship and the play style it offers.  They hate the whole anime concept and didn't get the ship. On the upside, WG chose a ship that doesn't look too colorful. One can live with that camo and also put a different captain on it and kill the squealing pig captain.

• Cool 1

Players
6 posts
2,639 battles
1 hour ago, HMS_Kilinowski said:

Harekaze is a good example of what happens, when you deviate from that principle. There is lots of players who would be interested in the ship and the play style it offers.  They hate the whole anime concept and didn't get the ship. On the upside, WG chose a ship that doesn't look too colorful. One can live with that camo and also put a different captain on it and kill the squealing pig captain.

The thing with the Harekaze is that you got a normal premium camo with it. (Like the one you can buy for the Kagero) So if someone didn't like the base camo they could just swap it out of a more realistic one.
Same goes with most anime collabs. If you disable anime content in the game most of the camos will just turn into normal premium camos.

• Cool 1

Players
2,670 posts
21,581 battles

Used to be this kind of ship was very nice for the odd spot of sealclubbing since you could just swap in some high tier captain but were not forced to keep one there forever.

The CV rework put paid to that, however.

So the only remaining reasons to buy, for those traitors not boycotting WG products, would be to feed their weeb habit or use it in Ranked.

• Bad 1

[THESO]
Players
1,267 posts
16,397 battles
17 minutes ago, CaptainWolf11 said:

The thing with the Harekaze is that you got a normal premium camo with it. (Like the one you can buy for the Kagero) So if someone didn't like the base camo they could just swap it out of a more realistic one.
Same goes with most anime collabs. If you disable anime content in the game most of the camos will just turn into normal premium camos.

I see. That is very considerate of WG. So basically all the weebs would need to do is come up with some mod that changes camos to a "weeb-mode", instead of spending somewhere betwwen 150-200€ a piece on an ARP Yamato. That might even change all the other ships camos, saving thousands of Euros. But WG says thx for dumping all the hard earned money on an easily copied and pasted special ship.

Players
2,670 posts
21,581 battles
Vor 32 Minuten, CaptainWolf11 sagte:

Harekaze actually gets three different camos, one of which incurs different bonuses - 50% extra commander XP instead of 100% extra Free XP.

And of course that's the weebiest of the lot, with the degenerate cat motif.

Kazekrishna.jpg

Players
413 posts
2,239 battles
32 minutes ago, HMS_Kilinowski said:

I see. That is very considerate of WG. So basically all the weebs would need to do is come up with some mod that changes camos to a "weeb-mode", instead of spending somewhere betwwen 150-200€ a piece on an ARP Yamato. That might even change all the other ships camos, saving thousands of Euros. But WG says thx for dumping all the hard earned money on an easily copied and pasted special ship.

There are mods that do just that (and then some), just have to hunt around for them.

[THESO]
Players
1,267 posts
16,397 battles
24 minutes ago, DeviousDave02 said:

There are mods that do just that (and then some), just have to hunt around for them.

Could it be the unique selling point of ARP Yamato is that people are too lazy to look for mods to weeb up their game?

Players
413 posts
2,239 battles
13 minutes ago, HMS_Kilinowski said:

Could it be the unique selling point of ARP Yamato is that people are too lazy to look for mods to weeb up their game?

That and the average punter probably doesn't even realize such a thing is feasible.

Beta Tester
1,650 posts
8,138 battles
7 hours ago, FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor said:

Harekaze actually gets three different camos, one of which incurs different bonuses - 50% extra commander XP instead of 100% extra Free XP.

And of course that's the weebiest of the lot, with the degenerate cat motif.

Kazekrishna.jpg

Thanks that you posted the best camo in the game so I didn't have to look it up or (god forbid) start the game to answer to that post like you did. :Smile_honoring:

If this were to come to wows legends (console) (which i play most of the time instead of PC nowadays) i probably would buy the ship + camo again that's how good it is. :Smile-_tongue:

Instead I am indeed bumed out that the long awaited Maya is just another Atago reskin... :Smile_sceptic:

Maybe if this comes to Legends.... (but I already got Atago there too for free xp and Takao is still the superior option... meh)