Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Purnylla

Should I, or should I not, buy the Massachusetts?

70 comments in this topic

[GEUS]
[GEUS]
Players
334 posts
11,098 battles

I'm on the fence. Massachusetts sounds like a fun ship, and it's often recommended, but Tier VIII premium ships aren't cheap (even with discount coupon), and I doubt it would add much to my collection of ships. 

Thing is, I mainly play co-op, and while my clan encourages me to switch to randoms, I think the majority of my games will be co-op for a while. Any ship does well enough in co-op, so any slight advantages would probably not be noticeable in co-op. And I'm probably not skilled enough to take real advantages of a ship charactistics in the few random battles I play. I already have the Odin with its decent secondaries and survivability whenever I want to play at Tier VIII. And I do plan to purchase the Georgia soon, which, according to the wiki, plays pretty similar to Massachusetts. Whenever I'm not bound to a specific tier, I might as well pick the Georgia over the Massachusetts. 

I can't stay on the fence, because the Massachusetts is soon to be taken out of the shop. Does anyone have some extra bits of advice that could help me to decide which side of the fence I want to be? :P

[TACHA]
Players
256 posts
4,669 battles

Masa is great for COOP and you will face T6 sometimes, from the comparisons LWM has made it can melt DDs 2x faster than Odin iirc.

Also the coverage for secondaries has no blank spots as well unlike the Odin where you need to angle to get more coverage.

• Cool 2

[BLITZ]
Modder
4,863 posts
9,050 battles

If you are not sure whether or not to buy the Massachusetts, maybe this can be a cheapter (but not guaranteed) solution: Soon there will be Black Friday and I would guess that WG will sell the old Black Containers from 2018 as well. You can invest in some of them and with some good luck you can get a Massa B for a bargain compared to the normal costs of tier8. But keep in mind: that is pure luck and gambling and no guarantee ship.

But regarding to the Massachusetts itself: It is a fun ship and I enjoy playing her alot.

• Cool 2

Players
613 posts
1,926 battles

Yes, get her.

She is one of those lol meme ships in full secondary build.

Do you want to take on 4 red ships at once and win?:cap_rambo:

• Cool 2

[THESO]
[THESO]
4,187 posts
11,272 battles

don't think.. just buy her.. 

She is by far the most OP tier 8 BB in the game.. 

She is ridiculous actually.. 

• Cool 3

[SHAD]
Players
2,922 posts
12,630 battles

She is the strongest T8 battleship in the game.

A better brawler than Georgia due to it's lower citadel.

I think you will find Georgia and Massa different enough to enjoy their different playstyles.

[SHAFT]
Players
356 posts
4,372 battles

It's by far the strongest (and also the most fun to play) T8 BB in the game at the minute. I only have the B version, so am kinda tempted to buy the regular version as well now that she's being removed. If you don't buy her you will definitely regret it.

Georgia is different to the Massa, it's not really a brawler. Georgia has amazing speed which you use to flank and get into good positions. I do however, use the same captain on both which is skilled to boost the secondaries.

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,624 posts
16,677 battles

Hi all,

56 minutes ago, Purnylla said:

I'm on the fence. Massachusetts sounds like a fun ship, and it's often recommended, but Tier VIII premium ships aren't cheap (even with discount coupon), and I doubt it would add much to my collection of ships. 

Thing is, I mainly play co-op, and while my clan encourages me to switch to randoms, I think the majority of my games will be co-op for a while. Any ship does well enough in co-op, so any slight advantages would probably not be noticeable in co-op. And I'm probably not skilled enough to take real advantages of a ship charactistics in the few random battles I play. I already have the Odin with its decent secondaries and survivability whenever I want to play at Tier VIII. And I do plan to purchase the Georgia soon, which, according to the wiki, plays pretty similar to Massachusetts. Whenever I'm not bound to a specific tier, I might as well pick the Georgia over the Massachusetts. 

I can't stay on the fence, because the Massachusetts is soon to be taken out of the shop. Does anyone have some extra bits of advice that could help me to decide which side of the fence I want to be? :P

I wholeheartedly recommend the "Massachusetts" !  :Smile_great:

Leo "Apollo11"

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
3,218 posts
3,715 battles

I'll join the choir: Buy the Massachusetts!

She's one of those happy ships that can do well in any situation, whether in co-op or randoms, whether sailed by a noob or a unicum. Unlike the Georgia she can brawl, and unlike the Tirpitz she can trade punches with other same-tier battleships on an even footing (not counting the Tirp's torpedoes, obviously). I have a soft spot for the Tirpitz, probably mainly due to fond childhood memories of war documentaries and riveting novels, but if I were to recommend just one tier VIII battleship in WoWs, it would be the Massachusetts.

And while you're at it you might consider going for the Black edition, it it's available. The 'Black Mass', as I tend to call her, is one of the prettiest ship designs in the game.

Best of luck!

:Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

Players
3,084 posts
17,505 battles

On the fence too, but for different reasons. I dont play anything below tier 9-10 unless its Ranked/Competitive.

Massachusets will probably be a port queen since I will get Georgia to full fill the same role and I rather play JB, anyway. Also CVs are available for tier 8 competitive purposes.

So probably it's a no. 

But if you like to play tier 8 it's a no brainer. 

[GEUS]
[GEUS]
Players
334 posts
11,098 battles

I don't particularly prefer tier 8, and if I were to choose a ship I'd be more skilled with, it'd probably be a carrier.

I think I'm skipping on the Massachusetts. Had her on my wishlist for way too long, but never bought her. I had planned to buy another ship once the -25% coupon comes available again, which I am really looking forward to. Definately more so than I was looking forward to Massachusetts, which actually says enough. If I were to buy the Massachusetts, it's because the 'fear of missing out', because she's been removed from shop soon. If she wouldn't be removed, I'd probably not even think about buying her at this point. WG is messing with my mind here. :P

Beta Tester
939 posts
10,230 battles

Great ship for randoms, you got punchy guns for T10 MM so you don't feel useless.

But I'd probably reccommend Georgia becouse of the speedboost memes.

[SM0KE]
Players
6,145 posts
14,628 battles
2 hours ago, Purnylla said:

Does anyone have some extra bits of advice that could help me to decide which side of the fence I want to be?

MA is great fun, and I don't even particularly like BBs - she's hilarious in Coop and other PvE modes, if only as a floating firework display whenever anything gets within around 10 km range.

Bear in mind we don't know definitively what impact the captain skill rework is going to have and/or how much (if at all) her secondary range will get boosted, assuming that comes to pass.

To echo others, the Whips & Leather edition should be available again for Black Friday, and that may well be less expensive than the vanilla one.

[-TPF-]
Players
4,223 posts
17,668 battles

Do you like American Battleships? If yes, buy the Massachusetts. If you think American Battleships are as fun as watching paint dry, then no. A Tirpitz or Jean Bart will be more brawling fun. 

[SHAD]
Players
2,922 posts
12,630 battles
2 hours ago, invicta2012 said:

Do you like American Battleships? If yes, buy the Massachusetts. If you think American Battleships are as fun as watching paint dry, then no. A Tirpitz or Jean Bart will be more brawling fun. 

Tirpitz, maybe but a Jean Bart is not a good brawler due to turret armour and plating.

Beta Tester
288 posts

I'll join the others in here. 

Get the Massa, you won't regret it. She is really good fun in coop, and is a hoot when specced for secondary build. She handles well, has decent speed, and she can take damage well enough.

Or you could get the Mikasa and go full secondary build for some good low tier fun... :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

Players
818 posts
5,443 battles

Personally:

On EU I have Massachussetts Black. It is a fun ship to play, even in Co-op. In general it is a fun ship to play.

I am SERIOUSLY considering getting Massa for my NA account (which I try to keep non-whaling as much as possible, only paying premium, and limited amount of doubloons (for instance to complete campaigns) - glad I have time to make use of (I hope) the Christmas coupons.

If you like brawly ships, she is great good fun.

Players
818 posts
5,443 battles
1 hour ago, gopher31 said:

Tirpitz, maybe but a Jean Bart is not a good brawler due to turret armour and plating.

IMHO JB is not a ship where you go looking for a brawl, but you do not necessarily have to shy away from one either. Especially when you can get her secondaries into play.

[SHAD]
Players
2,922 posts
12,630 battles
30 minutes ago, Dutchy_2019 said:

IMHO JB is not a ship where you go looking for a brawl, but you do not necessarily have to shy away from one either. Especially when you can get her secondaries into play.

True but the lack of secondary pen means they are harmless but for their firestarting.

Jean Bart has a well protected citadel but it's 32mm armour means every HE spammer will be melting you while you brawl.

[NMA]
Players
83 posts
4,296 battles
3 hours ago, SHADEW0LF said:

I'd say yes as ive heard (could be wrong) they are removing her at somepoint.

Massa, Thunderer, Georgia, Alaska and Smaland will be removed with 0.10.1 patch.

As for Massa, it's fun and forgiving to play, very tanky and most likely best tier VIII BB overall

• Cool 1

[-CC-]
Players
75 posts
605 battles

Před 7 hodinami Purnylla řekl/a:

I can't stay on the fence, because the Massachusetts is soon to be taken out of the shop.

Před 6 hodinami Drasnighta řekl/a:

tempted to buy the regular version as well now that she's being removed. If you don't buy her you will definitely regret it.

When?
Can not see any announcemets regarding this.

Players
818 posts
5,443 battles
10 minutes ago, Shiplife said:

When?
Can not see any announcemets regarding this.

See above, announced in a dev blog earlier this week:

Removal: 0.10.1

Roughly 3 months away.

Sign in to follow this