Sign in to follow this  
Astrospade

invisible planes on tear VI carrier

15 comments in this topic

Players
5 posts
3,802 battles

Playing a random battle in a tear V battleship (against tear V & VI ships) with good anti aircraft. I kept getting torpedoed by invisible planes. On a tear VI carrier there is no way that a torpedo plane should be able to get nearer enough to torp a ship with being spotted and fired on. It is bad enough with disappearing ships and DDs, that can get to less than 0.5 km, and stay undetected with out invisible aircraft as well. they might as well do away with battleships as they have removed all the advantages a battle ship has in favour of the other ships.

• Bad 1

[SM0KE]
Players
6,116 posts
14,592 battles
16 minutes ago, Astrospade said:

It is bad enough with disappearing ships and DDs, that can get to less than 0.5 km, and stay undetected

This is incorrect, I'm afraid: no ship can do this, even with smoke and islands in the way - proximity spotting: https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Detection#Proximity_spotting

Without something breaking line of sight, the closest that any DD can get to you before being spotted is 5.4 km.

22 minutes ago, Astrospade said:

I kept getting torpedoed by invisible planes.

Which CV were you facing? Most of the T6 CVs' torp bombers have a detectability distance of 10 km (without CE); Ryujo gets 7.5 km (ditto). If you were facing a CE captain with a high level of skill, that wouldn't be an enormous window between detection and drop, but there should still be one.

There weren't smoke and/or islands involved in the equation too, by any chance?

[THESO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,507 posts
9,526 battles

Wouldn't know bout getting attacked. But getting spotted by invisible planes is a real annoyance though. Especially in CBs.

[AAO]
Players
1,593 posts
21,175 battles

There's 3 realistic scenarios here:

-The CV sneaked up from behind an Island, flew over it, dropped you and recalled the planes before you noticed them.

-The CV came from behind a smoke you were either close to or sitting in and either guessed well or had some other indication of your position and no ally was close enough to spot those planes on the way in.

-You simply didn't notice the planes coming in.

Only a replay would allow a final judgement on which one it is.

On 11/12/2020 at 5:25 PM, Astrospade said:

they have removed all the advantages a battle ship has in favour of the other ships.

If you think so you're not appreciating the power, map control and sustainability BBs bring (in addition to some other misconceptions you seem to have)
There's a reason that only the number of battleships and carriers is restricted in competitive modes.

Lastly: There is no T5 BB with AA that can seriously interfere with an at least semi-decent T6 CV. A good T6 CV player can reasonably strike into T8s.

• Cool 2

[-OOF-]
Beta Tester
2,165 posts
9,348 battles
On 11/12/2020 at 7:06 PM, domen3 said:

Wouldn't know bout getting attacked. But getting spotted by invisible planes is a real annoyance though. Especially in CBs.

They really should fix it so that if you are spotted by a fighter you should see the fighter spotting you.

OP this might be what you mean? Fighters for some reason can often spot you without you spotting them back. But if you mean they are attacking you, well @rnat has brought up the most likely and plausible scenarios. My money would be on terrain shenanigans.

[LEGE]
Players
8 posts

maybe the torps came from a sunken dd or other sunken ship with torp tubes? i had once the same situation and did not understand how i got sunk..

• Cool 1

Players
5 posts
3,802 battles
On 11/14/2020 at 11:41 AM, rnat said:

There's 3 realistic scenarios here:

-The CV sneaked up from behind an Island, flew over it, dropped you and recalled the planes before you noticed them.

-The CV came from behind a smoke you were either close to or sitting in and either guessed well or had some other indication of your position and no ally was close enough to spot those planes on the way in.

-You simply didn't notice the planes coming in.

Only a replay would allow a final judgement on which one it is.

If you think so you're not appreciating the power, map control and sustainability BBs bring (in addition to some other misconceptions you seem to have)
There's a reason that only the number of battleships and carriers is restricted in competitive modes.

Lastly: There is no T5 BB with AA that can seriously interfere with an at least semi-decent T6 CV. A good T6 CV player can reasonably strike into T8s.

the planes in question appeared already in torpedo range dropped there torpedos and disappeared again with out my ship getting a shot of. this happened not just once but multiple times in the battle and appeared to be happening to others of my team. we were in clear water no smoke no islands. INVISIBLE PLANES!

Players
5 posts
3,802 battles
On 11/12/2020 at 4:35 PM, ColonelPete said:

Do you have a replay?

First time I hear about invisible planes attacking a ship.

no dont know how to record battles

[THESO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,507 posts
9,526 battles
5 hours ago, Astrospade said:

no dont know how to record battles

Replays are saved automatically in your "replays" folder which is located in next to other game files.

[CATS]
Players
28,086 posts
14,885 battles
13 hours ago, Astrospade said:

the planes in question appeared already in torpedo range dropped there torpedos and disappeared again with out my ship getting a shot of. this happened not just once but multiple times in the battle and appeared to be happening to others of my team. we were in clear water no smoke no islands. INVISIBLE PLANES!

No Tier VI carrier can do this.

• Cool 1

[AAO]
Players
1,593 posts
21,175 battles
On 11/23/2020 at 2:28 AM, Astrospade said:

That's frankly unbelievable, no T6CV can get plane concealment below 6km.

Replay/recording or it didn't happen.

• Cool 1

[SHAFT]
Players
356 posts
4,372 battles
On 11/23/2020 at 1:28 AM, Astrospade said:

We need to see a replay or it didn't happen ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just out of interest what T5 BB were you actually playing?

Quality Poster, In AlfaTesters
1,683 posts
14,147 battles

If you can find the replay folder in the game directory you might find the replay file for that particular battle. Replays are small files, not video recordings of the game but listed instructions, the game client is used to re-enact the battle so that you can watch it back from different perspectives.

Feel free to check and see if you can watch the replay of that battle, if the circumstances are still unclear to you then share the file here and someone else can hopefully either clarify the particulars or confirm the cause.

For more info on replays, check the FAQ at https://replayswows.com/

Players
364 posts
On 11/12/2020 at 5:25 PM, Astrospade said:

Playing a random battle in a tear V battleship (against tear V & VI ships) with good anti aircraft. I kept getting torpedoed by invisible planes. On a tear VI carrier there is no way that a torpedo plane should be able to get nearer enough to torp a ship with being spotted and fired on. It is bad enough with disappearing ships and DDs, that can get to less than 0.5 km, and stay undetected with out invisible aircraft as well. they might as well do away with battleships as they have removed all the advantages a battle ship has in favour of the other ships.

I think it was a test of a Russian CV:Smile-angry:

Sign in to follow this