Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Marydoll

Smaland

17 comments in this topic

Players
38 posts

Now that the Smaland appears to being withdrawn maybe time to think of "obtaining". I have the FXP banked. I presently have the Ostergotland and Halland in port. Given the aforementioned would I be best holding onto the FXP for other options. Cheers.

• Cool 1

[XTREM]
Players
4,194 posts
11,532 battles

I would advise you to get Smalland. She is different enough from a Halland in playstyle and I personally enjoyed the few battles I had in her so far. 

[BFS]
Beta Tester
2,011 posts
13,445 battles

I go the Smaland when it was first released and also have the Ostergotland and Halland.

I guess if you don't get the Smaland you may regret it later, I don't think if you got her you would regret it.

Edited: If anyone has missed the link details of the change were posted in the forum:

https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/topic/143412-why-is-the-eu-tier-x-dd-smaland-considered-over-popular-in-light-of-devblog-changes-in-availability-of-several-ships/

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
6,177 posts
14,684 battles
11 minutes ago, Marydoll said:

Now that the Smaland appears to being withdrawn maybe time to think of "obtaining". I have the FXP banked. I presently have the Ostergotland and Halland in port. Given the aforementioned would I be best holding onto the FXP for other options. Cheers.

Despite the ludicrous price, I would absolutely suggest getting hold of her (assuming you like your existing Ikeas) - she's excellent, and sufficiently different to Halland to be interesting.

If you enjoy making opposition DDs regret their life choices, she's amongst the best options available (IMO); you're also pretty CV-resistant, although not to Halland levels.

Since I picked mine up, she's rapidly become perhaps my favourite T10 DD...

Players
2,306 posts
31,496 battles
32 minutes ago, Marydoll said:

Smaland and Halland may seem similar on paper but are different in practice. For general pop. Smaland would be more difficult to play with weaker AA and torps than Halland. But it has its own gimmicks as being a better gun boat, speed boost plus radar. 

IMO, no ship is worth for 2 million fxp (seriously wth??). It depends a lot what ships you have, what you want to have, which classes and or nations you like to play when it comes to deciding to get Smaland or not. I would suggest it for collectors, veterans and competitive players but i would not suggest it to beginners and casuals (at least not for such a price tag).

Players
3,289 posts
19,956 battles
1 hour ago, Verblonde said:

Despite the ludicrous price, I would absolutely suggest getting hold of her (assuming you like your existing Ikeas) - she's excellent, and sufficiently different to Halland to be interesting.

If you enjoy making opposition DDs regret their life choices, she's amongst the best options available (IMO); you're also pretty CV-resistant, although not to Halland levels.

Since I picked mine up, she's rapidly become perhaps my favourite T10 DD...

I don't know why, but I only remember one encounter where I was deleted by a Smalland, guess my first encounter. After that I usually see them helpless in the second half of matches, struggeling to keep up a carry. I even pwned one in my Harugomo yesterday in a mid cap battle :o

Beyond the 7,5 km radar which people will get to know sooner them later, is there anything she has that sets her apart in a positive light from the Halland?

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
6,177 posts
14,684 battles
1 minute ago, Europizza said:

I don't know why, but I only remember one encounter where I was deleted by a Smalland, guess my first encounter. After that I usually see them helpless in the second half of matches, struggeling to keep up a carry. I even pwned one in my Harugomo yesterday in a mid cap battle :o

Beyond the 7,5 km radar which people will get to know sooner them later, is there anything she has that sets her apart in a positive light from the Halland?

Bear in mind that you're a good player, so you'll probably hand most people that you encounter their posteriors.

Speed boost and guns are the main pluses (although for the latter, Halland can be as good, with the right build, it's probably not optimal), although knowing about the radar won't reduce its utility hugely - you'll just catch fewer people napping.

My feeling FWIW is that Halland is the better generalist, and Smaland is the better DD hunter.

• Cool 2

[I-J-N]
Players
5,489 posts
Just now, Verblonde said:

Bear in mind that you're a good player, so you'll probably hand most people that you encounter their posteriors.

Speed boost and guns are the main pluses (although for the latter, Halland can be as good, with the right build, it's probably not optimal), although knowing about the radar won't reduce its utility hugely - you'll just catch fewer people napping.

My feeling FWIW is that Halland is the better generalist, and Smaland is the better DD hunter.

What's your take on RDF?

Players
2,306 posts
31,496 battles
11 minutes ago, Europizza said:

A decent Smaland player can take you out in Haru, so don’t attack every Smaland you see :)

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
6,177 posts
14,684 battles
6 minutes ago, Karasu_Hidesuke said:

What's your take on RDF?

(Bearing in mind I'm not very good)

I would like to have it on more ships, I just tend to find I get more consistent value for four points from other things; with all the CVs and radars around, it's value appears somewhat moot. Besides which, I'm very aware that when you tag someone with it, they get a ping too, so telling them that they are the nearest ship to whoever has the skill and - assuming you have reasonable map awareness and looked at the opposing team line-up - that can give valuable information away.

I could very well be being foolish with this approach though (I'm mindful that my original approach was to always take PM over PT early on in my WOWS career, before eventually twigging that information was usually more useful in that particular case), although I have tried RDF builds in the past (when WG were being less stingy with free respecs)...

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
6,177 posts
14,684 battles
7 minutes ago, Execute0rder66 said:

A decent Smaland player can take you out in Haru, so don’t attack every Smaland you see :)

FWIW I probably count as 'mediocre' and I generally fancy my chances against a typical Haru, mainly because Smaland can heal and Haru can't. The radar also helps if you find one smoke camping, as it'll take him a few seconds to pull himself together after the radar warning goes off...

Of course, I'm deader than plaid if the Haru driver is unsporting i.e. uses actual skill!

• Funny 1

Players
2,306 posts
31,496 battles
27 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

FWIW I probably count as 'mediocre' and I generally fancy my chances against a typical Haru, mainly because Smaland can heal and Haru can't. The radar also helps if you find one smoke camping, as it'll take him a few seconds to pull himself together after the radar warning goes off...

Of course, I'm deader than plaid if the Haru driver is unsporting i.e. uses actual skill!

Well, a haru popped up behind a rock once about 5km to me. His teammates and mine were also behind rocks so it was only two of us. No smoke no radar no skill, brute firing power non stop while sailing full speed parallel to each other. In the end, our last shots killed each other. This is raw pew pew. It would be the same outcome whether one of was the best dd player or worst as there was nowhere to run, no rock to hide, smoke would not  help, torps were used. So, in your example yes it would be to your advantage in Smaland if you could catch a haru in smoke. And it would be to your advantage in Harugumo if you catch a Smaland half life or without the boost or with teammates backing you up as It is really difficult to kill one alone.

• Cool 2

Players
3,289 posts
19,956 battles
10 minutes ago, Execute0rder66 said:

Well, a haru popped up behind a rock once about 5km to me. His teammates and mine were also behind rocks so it was only two of us. No smoke no radar no skill, brute firing power non stop while sailing full speed parallel to each other. In the end, our last shots killed each other. This is raw pew pew. It would be the same outcome whether one of was the best dd player or worst as there was nowhere to run, no rock to hide, smoke would not  help, torps were used. So, in your example yes it would be to your advantage in Smaland if you could catch a haru in smoke. And it would be to your advantage in Harugumo if you catch a Smaland half life or without the boost or with teammates backing you up as It is really difficult to kill one alone.

Mine sailed into an island when he ran into me turning a corner and had his radar on cooldown :Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 2

[SM0KE]
Players
6,177 posts
14,684 battles
4 minutes ago, Europizza said:

Mine sailed into an island

It wasn't me, by any chance? That's the sort of idiot thing I'm prone to at times...

• Funny 4

Players
2,306 posts
31,496 battles
3 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

It wasn't me, by any chance? That's the sort of idiot thing I'm prone to at times...

Whoever says that they don’t ever pull a Notser would be lying 😁

• Funny 1

Sign in to follow this