Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Vana_Kurat

Operations like Narai, Aegis etc

7 comments in this topic

[-DTB-]
Players
10 posts
3,834 battles

There were many more of them, any chance to get the back ? I remember there was one with destroyers against german torpedo boats, one with french battleships against german force, one with american cruisers against japanese force. Why were they retired and when can we have them back ? Currently there are just 4 operations available and it becomes boring so to say.

• Cool 3

[PUPSI]
Privateer
11,674 posts
Just now, Vana_Kurat said:

Why were they retired and

main reason: those operations were removed after the CV rework since (bot) CVs/planes were very important during those operations and the changes in mechanics were so huge.

when can we have them back

this question comes up very often, usual answer is "not anytime soon" because

- WG wants to focus and PvP and

- too few players play operations

• Boring 1

Players
1,052 posts
15,102 battles
1 hour ago, Klopirat said:

Chicken-and-egg situation right here.

Whatever changes to CV AI was made in 0.9.9 the bots are better at attacking now than they used to be  (tighter torp drops, much better prediction, don't be a sitting duck).

Dynamo is probably an exception because of the size of the squadrons and the poor AA output of Destroyers. But it would be interesting to test the interactions in test mode on the PTS.

Edit: also just thought, it might be interesting to give the Lexington is Narai her full squadrons back to see how it goes and maybe shift that Operation back to its original line-up.

Edited by DanSilverwing
  • Cool 3

Players
859 posts

WG have stated that Ops aren't a priority at the moment. They've also stated that they are going to 'return to' them next year. One of these statements at least is demonstrably true.

The devs have apparently stated in the past that they don't really know how to balance T8+ Ops.

The aircraft AI has been an issue due to the rework but also ship AI (enemy but also more frustratingly, friendly NPC) has had a lot of problems since at least the start of this year, often making certain Ops unwinnable where they rely on the friendly NPC ships going to certain places. This has been 'fixed' on at least one occasion by nerfing the Free XP rewards on Narai. Amazingly the AI still didn't work properly.

'There are less people playing Ops' (numbers never actually released in support of this statement); but the number of Ops in rotation has not been increased for ages, in fact has been decreased, so is Ops in trouble from a lack of players or is it the players leaving due to a lack of Ops (as @DanSilverwing pointed out)? Apparently the situation isn't bad enough to remove them from the game entirely, at least.

As far as I can tell, and as much of a grind as it might be at the moment, the only way to support Ops and get WG to do more with them is to keep playing them and encourage others to do the same, to the point where their popularity is not in question.

One thing I would point out though, OP, is that there are five Ops currently: Narai, Aegis, Killer Whale, Raptor Rescue and Newp- oh wait, no, you're right ;)

Players
6,864 posts
11,298 battles
3 hours ago, Klopirat said:

main reason: those operations were removed after the CV rework since (bot) CVs/planes were very important during those operations and the changes in mechanics were so huge.

this question comes up very often, usual answer is "not anytime soon" because

- WG wants to focus and PvP and

not really. The CV rework argument I suspect to be a scapegoat from WG.

Also, a lot of players used to be active in PvE - if you were part of that community, you knew. Even the ingame operations channel was blasting with messages, and im literally talking a wall of text. So that wasnt it.

Only the "WG wants to focus on PvP" seems true. Plus they didnt like the farming going on in the operations. Thats why Dynamo had to go first. The community perfected the farming, so you made over 30k free XP and/or way past 50k cpt XP in about 12 minutes. Thats also the reason, why they shrank the XP for 4 man teams in Narai - because the community perfected farming with a team of 4 there. I guess WG thought, you couldnt beat Narai with 4 players.

So the answer for @Vana_Kurat is: you can forget about Operations. It will only get worse, sadly.

• Cool 2

[PUPSI]
Privateer
11,674 posts
5 minutes ago, ForlornSailor said:

The CV rework argument I suspect to be a scapegoat from WG.

at least in the beginning it was true, don't forget it took quite a long time until CV bots returned to coop...

6 minutes ago, ForlornSailor said:

Also, a lot of players used to be active in PvE - if you were part of that community, you knew. Even the ingame operations channel was blasting with messages, and im literally talking a wall of text. So that wasnt it.

I played operations quite a lot, especially Dynamo for farming, so I was in this channel quite often, and those two points are the answers/reasons given by WG ("usual answer")

Players
2,702 posts
21,731 battles

So I've been doing some Operations again on the NA server, and my impression is they have been severely dumbed down.

It seems almost impossible to fail Narai or Raptor Rescue these days even with a complete team of utter rubes.

The upside being that this allows you to grind through Tier 6 and 7 ships fairly quickly without being mere CV fodder in Randoms.

But lacking a real challenge, they also lack enjoyment.

On the other hand, back before this dumbing down, you could basically only count on a win with random team mates on Thursdays and Fridays. The longer the Operation of the Week remained in rotation, the worse the teams got, and chances of decent results deteriorated quickly over the weekend.

EDIT: Except for Newport.

The one operation that could actually have used some serious dumbing-down still feels as crazy over-the-top hard as ever and with the usual plebs, I can barely scrape a one-star together.

Wargaming in a nutshell.

Emblematic.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this