You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Leo_Apollo11

Why is the EU Tier X DD "Smaland" considered "over popular" (in light of DevBlog: Changes in availability of several ships)?

96 comments in this topic

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,621 posts
16,644 battles

Hi all,

Why is the EU Tier X DD "Smaland" considered "over popular" (in light of DevBlog: Changes in availability of several ships)?

Here is the article:

DevBlog: Changes in availability of several ships

https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/95

12.11.2020 13:00

Changes in availability of several ships

In Update 0.10.1 several ships will no longer be available to obtain

Commanders!

Starting from Update 0.10.1, the following ships will no longer be available to obtain:

• British battleship Thunderer, Tier X;
  • European destroyer Smaland, Tier X;
  • American battleship Georgia, Tier IX;
  • American cruiser Alaska, Tier IX;
  • American battleship Massachusetts, Tier VIII.

These ships have become very popular on their Tiers. However, in order to maintain the diversity of team compositions at a proper level, they will be removed for an undefined time, but may return in future.

The reason to remove these ships is the combination of their popularity and battle performance. In order to maintain the diversity of team compositions at a proper level, they will be removed for an undefined time, but may return in future.

We understand that accumulating resources for ships is a long process, which is why we wanted to warn you in advance, so that those interested can steer these ships into their Ports before Update 0.10.1 goes live in approximately three months.

Edit: New description entered in DevBlog

But if you take  a look at actual numbers of the "Smalland" - they are the lowest for FreeXP ships... :Smile_hiding:

Here is my topic about that:

Leo "Apollo11"

P.S.

Now they changed the DevBlog entry... :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 9
  • Funny 2

[BLITZ]
Modder
4,862 posts
9,044 battles
1 minute ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

But if you take  a look at actual numbers of the "Smalland" it is the lowest acquired FreeXP ship

I bet they have the more competative modes in mind, when they speak about popularity of the Småland.

[SH33P]
Beta Tester
273 posts
6,940 battles

Yeah, it's kinda baffling as Smaland is one of the newer resource ships. WG being WG i guess

[SM0KE]
Players
6,117 posts
14,608 battles

Smaland is a bit of a monster, given the right circumstances, and especially against players who don't take the time to learn about the ships they may be facing; perhaps WG are trying to make life easier for relative newcomers?

• Cool 2

[SLAPP]
[SLAPP]
Players
26 posts
13,035 battles
11 minutes ago, principat121 said:

I bet they have the more competative modes in mind, when they speak about popularity of the Småland.

Thought WG balanced the game around the average player and not the competitive player...

• Funny 1

Players
3,280 posts
19,937 battles

wtf. So I have up to 0.10.1 to obtain 1,8 M FXP, as I just have bought the Hayate last week. I thought they would move Hayate to coal actually because it is so UNPOPULAR. Just like they did with every bloody ship I bought for steel...  :Smile_facepalm: <-- my life choices.

Just out of curiousity, when is 0.10.1 expected to hit? EDIT <-- 3 months -- > EDIT

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

[SH33P]
Beta Tester
273 posts
6,940 battles
Just now, Europizza said:

wtf. So I have up to 0.10.1 to obtain 1,8 M FXP, as I just have bought the Hayate last week. I thought they would move Hayate to coal actually because it is so UNPOPULAR. Just like they did with every bloody ship I bought for steel...  :Smile_facepalm: <-- my life choices.

Just out of curiousity, when is 0.10.1 expected to hit?

They're talking about ~3 months in the devblog

• Cool 1

Players
1,052 posts
15,102 battles
1 minute ago, Europizza said:

Just out of curiousity, when is 0.10.1 expected to hit?

Approximately three months. :Smile_hiding:

• Cool 1

[BLITZ]
Modder
4,862 posts
9,044 battles
13 minutes ago, bubbs90 said:

Thought WG balanced the game around the average player and not the competitive player...

Yes, when you are speaking about balancing.

This change does not alter any parameter of the ship itself, it just changes the means of availability for the ship. And this decision can be made on popularity in specific game modes.

[LADA]
Players
618 posts
9,039 battles

I can't disagree of any of the others - but Smaland? The price tag alone put most people off and I wouldn't say it was at all common compared to Halland.

WG spreadsheet obviously uses very different numbers to those accessible to us mere mortals. All hail the spreadsheet - for its ways are mysterious and unfathomable to the unfaithful. *Sarcasm levels hitting physically dangerous heights - my keyboard has shorted out.*

• Funny 2

[SLAPP]
[SLAPP]
Players
26 posts
13,035 battles

Pommern already has double the amount of battles compared to smaland in less than half the time it's been available...

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[CR33D]
[CR33D]
Players
2,967 posts
28,533 battles

As @Bear__Necessities said, this is not about general popularity but because its popularity in KotS and ships stats (in the other words it is just to strong). But of course they will say it is "to popular" instead. 

[BFS]
Beta Tester
1,990 posts
13,415 battles
30 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

Smaland is a bit of a monster, given the right circumstances, and especially against players who don't take the time to learn about the ships they may be facing; perhaps WG are trying to make life easier for relative newcomers?

At tier X?

Maybe, it's a sign that WG has made it too easy for players to get to TXIII to TX too fast.

• Cool 1

Players
2,262 posts
14,108 battles

Småland and Neustashimy. One underpopular, the other over popular, with both being equally rare sightings. :cap_fainting:

Now replace popular with strong and you will get the picture. 

[SM0KE]
Players
6,117 posts
14,608 battles
5 minutes ago, BrusilovX said:

At tier X?

Maybe, it's a sign that WG has made it too easy for players to get to TXIII to TX too fast.

Precisely!

I've been playing Smaland a fair bit since I got her, and it's very apparent that a lot of players I encounter simply don't realise that she has radar; in all fairness, I see the same thing in Orkan too, but the latter isn't always top tier, which mitigates her somewhat.

• Cool 3

[LEEUW]
Players
2,612 posts
10,265 battles
16 minutes ago, fumtu said:

As @Bear__Necessities said, this is not about general popularity but because its popularity in KotS and ships stats (in the other words it is just to strong). But of course they will say it is "to popular" instead. 

Petropavlovsk anyone? Popular in KOTS and CBs. 

• Cool 1

[KAKE]
Players
2,714 posts
6,681 battles

Hm. Guess it's time to decide whether I'll spend my coal reserves on Georgia or not. She's never been super-high on my list of priorities, but it's not as if I can't afford her (or will be able to soon anyway).

Småland? Maybe... I guess I can burn through some signals and free-exp bonus camos in the coming months to get another mill fxp. We'll see how much I can be arsed to actually play, but if nothing else I need to finish the unique upgrade missions for my T10s.

Players
1,936 posts
13,561 battles
9 minutes ago, GarrusBrutus said:

That's a silver ship though, and of recent addition. Harder to do the "now you see it, now you don't" trick.

I'll say I'm not in the least surprised about Thunderer, easiest one to call by far.

[CR33D]
[CR33D]
Players
2,967 posts
28,533 battles
7 minutes ago, GarrusBrutus said:

And it got nerfed, twice so far. I won't argue here is that enough. But there is a big difference between Petro and Smaland: 

• WG could always nerf Petro but could not just remove it as it is a tech three ship
  • While WG technically could nerf Smaland, I doubt they want to do it, especially when they could just remove it from a shop  
  • Cool 4

[SM0KE]
Players
6,117 posts
14,608 battles

Whilst it's pretty obvious that MA is very popular (and is widely viewed as perhaps the best premium BB), I'm still surprised that she's being removed - I would imagine that ship alone funds a not insignificant amount of vodka/dancing girls...

Presumably, she (and the T9s) will become another part of the 'please buy Xmas loot boxes' collection.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 3

[I-J-N]
Players
5,451 posts
1 hour ago, Verblonde said:

What would be those circumstances?... asking for a friend... :cap_hmm:

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
6,117 posts
14,608 battles
2 minutes ago, Karasu_Hidesuke said:

What would be those circumstances?... asking for a friend... :cap_hmm:

When in the hands of a competent player i.e. not me...! :Smile_veryhappy:

• Cool 2