Jump to content
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Iskarioth

Black friday, and why buying containers seems detrimental to me.

38 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[R-M]
Players
1,597 posts
13,544 battles

In the last 2 years I bought several containers each and got lucky a few times which resulted in me owning several black versions of premium ships ( Tirpitz, GZ, Atago and Sims). So far so good but then something unexpected happened: I pulled the regular versions of several of those ships out of containers ( while owning one beforehand) so now I have 3 ships both in regular camo and black. Which brings me to my main point:

given the fact that more and more premiums are being added in black, the chances of pulling the regular versions of ships out of the many containers being sold (mainly christmas containers) increases each year as well. That feels very much like gimping myself if you consider how expensuve some of the ships are. You buy the chance to get a t8 or even t9 ship only to have basically bought an expensive ship twice. Why should anyone take the risk and buy the black friday containers when they could just buy the christmas containers ( or one of the other events) instead? Since black versions don't drop out of any other container AFAIK despite having their own ID

 

I wouldn't mind to get a black Kaga for instance but this year I won't risk it because I experienced how it felt to buy containers for quite a few € only to get another GZ. Which leads me to my proposal @Crysantos : why not give us the chance to return ships we haven't used yet for dubloons as long as we bought the containers that dropped them for real money? I don't have my hopes up but maybe if other people feel similar to me it might change WGs mind. I will in  all likelyhood not buy the black containers this year and save the money for chistmas instead. Your thoughts people?

  • Cool 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SINT]
Players
1,102 posts
23,319 battles

When you gamble for black ships you take the benefit that they often come at a discount compared with their normal counterparts. When you try rng Black loot boxes you have the advantage that only a select number of rather high tier ships can drop. Once more a better chance compared towards random loot boxes of the regular ship type that can drop lowly T5’s.  So buying black versions have all the benefits money wise..... but that comes at a price that players prefer to forget...you can loot the regular version too getting you an identical ship.

 

So either you really love the black camo or you want to benefit from the relative better deals on black ships. But don’t blame WG to get a duplicate regular ship. It’s part of the deal when you put money into the black version.  I have many premiums but none of them are black. So zero chance to get a duplicate with another color.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[R-M]
Players
1,597 posts
13,544 battles

Is it really a discount? I'd say with every black ship added it worsens because you essential pay alter when you buy containers like the christmas ones and get a 40 € ship taht you bought already albeit discounted. It is like paying twice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[H_FAN]
Players
2,811 posts
47,400 battles
11 minutes ago, Iskarioth said:

Is it really a discount? I'd say with every black ship added it worsens because you essential pay alter when you buy containers like the christmas ones and get a 40 € ship taht you bought already albeit discounted. It is like paying twice

Yes, I reason like that too so I got none Black ships, it is ofc OK if I get one in a free Black contaibner which you sometimes have been given in missions, with of much reduced chance. However if you have a very limited amount of premiums and therefor your chance for a Jean Bart is theorethical, I can understand if you take the chance. But for me that have nearly all premiums (and all Black in civilian premium) it is no deal for the premium Black containers.

 

As far as I am aware the drop rates for ships in the Black boxes have been among the better in the lootboxes that WG offers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
5,137 posts
22,935 battles
13 minutes ago, Europizza said:

Don't buy crates if you don't like the odds. :Smile_amazed:

Or the event.

  • Cool 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,876 posts
6,468 battles

I'd just buy the ship(s) you want the good old  fashioned way, considerably less risk of getting a one you don't want instead of a one you do want. @Iskarioth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
6,636 posts
15 minutes ago, lafeel said:

I'd just buy the ship(s) you want the good old  fashioned way, considerably less risk of getting a one you don't want instead of a one you do want. @Iskarioth

 

Except if you find out it turned out to be a ship you didn't really want. :fish_boom:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,876 posts
6,468 battles
7 minutes ago, Karasu_Hidesuke said:

 

Except if you find out it turned out to be a ship you didn't really want. :fish_boom:

Well thats why you should do your research before hand obviously. Read all the stats you can find, read/watch as many reviews as you can find, and also read between the lines and figure out "is this ship the right one for me" as no reviewer can answer this, they can only help the only person who can, you.

 

Lets not forget, the Black ships are repainted versions of regular premium ships that have been around a while already in all cases. Finding just the right one for you should be easy with all the information you can find on them by now..

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
6,636 posts
6 minutes ago, lafeel said:

Well thats why you should do your research before hand obviously. Read all the stats you can find, read/watch as many reviews as you can find, and also read between the lines and figure out "is this ship the right one for me" as no reviewer can answer this, they can only help the only person who can, you.

 

Correct. The problem is that sometimes the reviews don't all agree. I guess that is the reading behind the lines bit, or some other method of trying to figure out how the ship would work for you.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,876 posts
6,468 battles
1 minute ago, Karasu_Hidesuke said:

 

Correct. The problem is that sometimes the reviews don't all agree. I guess that is the reading behind the lines bit, or some other method of trying to figure out how the ship would work for you.

Not taking anyone's word as the gospel and watching as many reviews as you possibly can helps with that for sure.

 

Do have to say though that I have to agree with ALL the reviewers (now isn't that a rarity) that the new USN bb's are *Edited* though, but that's not really the topic here..

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
2,244 posts
9,132 battles
2 minutes ago, lafeel said:

Not taking anyone's word as the gospel and watching as many reviews as you possibly can helps with that for sure.

 

Do have to say though that I have to agree with ALL the reviewers (now isn't that a rarity) that the new USN bb's are *Edited* though, but that's not really the topic here..

Well, there was this leaked Vermont footage that gave some hope. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,876 posts
6,468 battles
1 minute ago, Ocsimano18 said:

Well, there was this leaked Vermont footage that gave some hope. 

Even if she has the best gun handling in the game, and 1,9 sigma isn't it, she's still saddled with the other three major issues of her line.

 

Namely, in no particular order, slow reload, slow speed, and humoungous size.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
6,636 posts
1 minute ago, lafeel said:

Even if she has the best gun handling in the game, and 1,9 sigma isn't it, she's still saddled with the other three major issues of her line.

 

Namely, in no particular order, slow reload, slow speed, and humoungous size.

 

My sources tell me that someone called H. E. Spammer is looking forward to it and says it will be a welcome sight in battle. :Smile_trollface:

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,876 posts
6,468 battles
1 minute ago, Karasu_Hidesuke said:

 

My sources tell me that someone called H. E. Spammer is looking forward to it and says it will be a welcome sight in battle. :Smile_trollface:

As are every decent torpedo DD players in the game. All that agility isn't worth much if you can't speed out of the turn you just pulled.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CRU_]
Players
384 posts
9,871 battles

Yep it's good old money grabbing WG at it's finest, instead of treating it as a skin, as any decent company who gave a [edited]about their public image would, they treat it like a new premium ship drop. Laughable. Just make people aware that it happens, and then don't buy their crap.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[R-M]
Players
1,597 posts
13,544 battles
3 hours ago, Europizza said:

Don't buy crates if you don't like the odds. :Smile_amazed:

Some of you are seriously missing the point....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,941 posts
21,101 battles
12 minutes ago, Iskarioth said:

Some of you are seriously missing the point....

Right, let me explain in more detail then. Don't buy black lootcrates if you don't like the odds of receiving duplicates. Better?

Calling it 'unexpected' to receive duplicates later on after buying these things seems to point towards you missing something here ^^

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[R-M]
Players
1,597 posts
13,544 battles
7 minutes ago, Europizza said:

Right, let me explain in more detail then. Don't buy black lootcrates if you don't like the odds of receiving duplicates. Better?

Calling it 'unexpected' to receive duplicates later on after buying these things seems to point towards you missing something here ^^

 

Again you are treating this in a too simple a manner. Given how few black ships existed when they started I couldn't see this coming considering how low the chance was. What I am acutally trying to say is that  the deal worsen with every new year and maybe WG should rethink their approach. But yes by now I don't like the odds anymore and feel like warning people about it.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,845 posts
10,190 battles
7 hours ago, Iskarioth said:

In the last 2 years I bought several containers each and got lucky a few times which resulted in me owning several black versions of premium ships ( Tirpitz, GZ, Atago and Sims). So far so good but then something unexpected happened: I pulled the regular versions of several of those ships out of containers ( while owning one beforehand) so now I have 3 ships both in regular camo and black. Which brings me to my main point:

given the fact that more and more premiums are being added in black, the chances of pulling the regular versions of ships out of the many containers being sold (mainly christmas containers) increases each year as well. That feels very much like gimping myself if you consider how expensuve some of the ships are. You buy the chance to get a t8 or even t9 ship only to have basically bought an expensive ship twice. Why should anyone take the risk and buy the black friday containers when they could just buy the christmas containers ( or one of the other events) instead? Since black versions don't drop out of any other container AFAIK despite having their own ID

 

I wouldn't mind to get a black Kaga for instance but this year I won't risk it because I experienced how it felt to buy containers for quite a few € only to get another GZ. Which leads me to my proposal @Crysantos : why not give us the chance to return ships we haven't used yet for dubloons as long as we bought the containers that dropped them for real money? I don't have my hopes up but maybe if other people feel similar to me it might change WGs mind. I will in  all likelyhood not buy the black containers this year and save the money for chistmas instead. Your thoughts people?

Simple resolution to this problem. Dont buy black ships. They are a waste of money and a complete fad, all your getting for your money is an extra camo the regular ship does not have. In addition to opening up the possibility of acquiring the duplicate sister ship from other containers.

 

They should just sell the black camo as a premium item for the regular ship and stop ripping people off.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NWP]
Players
3,677 posts
18,027 battles
3 hours ago, Iskarioth said:

Again you are treating this in a too simple a manner. Given how few black ships existed when they started I couldn't see this coming considering how low the chance was. What I am acutally trying to say is that  the deal worsen with every new year and maybe WG should rethink their approach. But yes by now I don't like the odds anymore and feel like warning people about it.

You fail to miss the point though. The situation has changed, as so many things in this game.

In the past, this might have been a great deal for you. But now it isn't. 

It could still be a great deal for players with hardly any premiums that come in a black version. Just not for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SM0KE]
Players
6,933 posts
15,447 battles

I don't think that the black ships are a bad thing as such (I have all the current crop, in - I think - all cases obtained after the vanilla equivalents); they do have their uses, which we've gone over repeatedly before.

 

BUT it needs to be made *extremely* transparent what you are getting with these things, and what you're not getting. Provided people are entirely clear about the pros and potential cons, then who really cares if WG do a bit of lazy content recycling? It's not like we aren't getting plenty of entirely new ships coming down the metaphorical pipe...

 

Personally, I'll probably pick up Cossack B, for the same reasons I've got the other black ships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×