Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
dommo77

Angling

8 comments in this topic

[GJE]
Players
392 posts
5,313 battles

Ahoy Captains

I wonder if you can help me - is there any comprehensive angling database? Any written down set of rules? Especially regarding cruisers (due to mission requirements I have to play them more and I truly suck in them...) I struggle to find anything.... 

• Cool 1

Players
2,043 posts
3,825 battles
4 minuti fa, dommo77 ha scritto:

Ahoy Captains

I wonder if you can help me - is there any comprehensive angling database? Any written down set of rules? Especially regarding cruisers (due to mission requirements I have to play them more and I truly suck in them...) I struggle to find anything.... 

here could help https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Armor_Penetration

• Cool 2

Players
7,311 posts
11,668 battles
22 minutes ago, dommo77 said:

Its a pretty complex topic. A lot of depends on your armor and the ship shooting at you. Angling aka tanking the shots its also not the way to go for all cruisers, it also depends, which one you are asking about?

In general, thats what you want to look at first (taken from the link @wot_2016_gunner posted)

image.thumb.png.ea9ce14f57dcd47f81a4376d15e10d2f.png

• Cool 3

[POP]
Players
673 posts
13,324 battles
47 minutes ago, dommo77 said:

Any written down set of rules?

The rule of thumb is to show 30 degrees or less. There are of course exceptions but in most cases you'll be fine.

• Cool 1

[CHEFT]
Players
12,664 posts
9,841 battles

Angling is less important so to say, as its mostly about overmatch. Best angle wont help if you can get overmatched as long as the BB shell hits you anywhere.

Probably the easier things to remember are:

- German/US CA T8-10 Cruisers with 27mm bow, which can bowtank </=381mm shells, f.e. Bismarck, Alsace, Roma...

- Petro/Stalin/Moskva which can practically bowtank any BB, alltho there is still part of the upper bow which can get overmatched by basicly all BBs.

Then TX CAs with 30mm midsection can bounce up to 420mm BB shells when properly angled.

Its probably easier to take babysteps, and look at the Cruiser(s) you wanna play now, look at the armor, and then check which BBs cannot overmatch your armor.

The rule is Armor*14,3 > caliber, then you can bounce.

Ive looked at your recently played Cruisers:

- Fiji cant even bounce 203mm Cruiser AP.

- Moskva see above. You are good to go Bow in, but Moskva has 50mm midsection, so if you are angled, you will also bounce on the sides.

- Hawkins, probably the tankiest T5 Cruiser, you can basicly be bow in and be pretty safe.

- Exeter, dont recall that one, never bothered to play it. I dont think it has any decent armor tho.

- Nevsky, gets overmatched at upper bow/stern/upper belt by basicly all BBs (25mm), deck can bounce up to 430mm (30mm deck), but i wouldnt count too much on it doing anything, since  shells can still hit bow/stern and overmatch you there.

• Cool 3

[-TPF-]
Players
4,669 posts
19,137 battles
9 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

Exeter, dont recall that one, never bothered to play it. I dont think it has any decent armor tho.

Belt armour works to an extent but you will take pens through the deck at distance and through the nose in torpedo range from anything other than a DD or CL. 

• Cool 1

[GJE]
Players
392 posts
5,313 battles

Thanks for your replies! 

The task was for Russian or British cruisers tiers V to X, so I played a few of them. I was a bit surprised taking pens from any angle in Nevski, and quickly learned to keep my distance. 

But I'm particularly interested in British CAs, as that's the line I will grind now - starting with Hawkins. 

Thanks for links and general advice, like it was mentioned it's quite complex topic, so a lot of studying in front of me :) 

• Cool 1

[THESO]
Players
5,017 posts

Bit older vid, but should demonstrate the complex logic behind every shot you fire...

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this