Sharana

[Basics] Spotting mechanics

102 posts in this topic

This is _very_ helpful and clears up a lot of questions in my head :)

Thanks a ton, mate!

Nice writeup, especially the smoke mechanics ;)

I got a question though:

What's the "acquisition range" you might ask? Well that's our maximal drawing distance = our view range. That's pretty much the maximal distance where we can spot enemy ships or we can have them visible in our 3D world. Even if they are spotted from friendly ships, but outside that range we can't see them rendered ingame, they will be just on the minimap. This range is not showed in the ship's concealment stats, but you can see it on the minimap.

How exactly is acquisition range shown on the minimap?

2ylp4yd.jpg

The circle is the main gun range, and there are no other markers shown regarding distance?

1 person likes this

You see only part of that circle. As I said your view range = drawing distance = acquisition range.

28isvmb.jpg

2 people like this

edit:

nvm I see it now, sorry my screen is on night saver mode and the contrast was to low to see you're overlaying the circle on the max view port distance. 

That indeed is part of the circle which is your acquisition range! There will be a mod soon I recon which just draws a secondary circle, just as there is a modpack now already offering last known spotted position and ship names on the minimap. 

Sorry for the confusion ( though I do think you should add the new image to the OP for clarity ;) ). 

Edited by mtm78

This was very helpful! Thanks, and keep it up!

I still wonder what causes the relatively widespread occurance of ships appearing and disappearing over and over again over the span of half a minute sometimes. This can be super annoying, because the client re-renders them everytime from scratch. But since appearing ships always are rendered stationary at first it is extremely difficult to see their speed or possible turning. I'll file it under concealment for them, which many of them need very much. But I wonder how it happens.

1 person likes this

I still wonder what causes the relatively widespread occurance of ships appearing and disappearing over and over again over the span of half a minute sometimes. This can be super annoying, because the client re-renders them everytime from scratch. But since appearing ships always are rendered stationary at first it is extremely difficult to see their speed or possible turning. I'll file it under concealment for them, which many of them need very much. But I wonder how it happens.

If you have a replay of a game where you noticed it happening, analyzing it might give some answers?

if the destroyer is in smoke, and he fires his guns or AA does he get revealed or is he invisible and can shoot freely? (if someone of his teammates are spotting the target for him)

because i have been shoot by a invisible destroyer not to far from me (but in a smoke) a lot of times. i mean he is in range of my secondary guns (= realy close), than he just pops smoke and can spam his guns on me without ever being revealed.

If you have a replay of a game where you noticed it happening, analyzing it might give some answers?

Ugh, I cba to check my replays for this. Next time I see it I'll upload the replay and tell you about it, ok?

if the destroyer is in smoke, and he fires his guns or AA does he get revealed or is he invisible and can shoot freely? (if someone of his teammates are spotting the target for him)

Yes if he is inside the smoke he can fire and not get spotted. You can even have Yamato inside that is burning, firing the main guns and shooting at the planes above him - he is still invisible.

The only way to spot such ships is the 2km proximity spot.

1 person likes this

As always , very good explanation and visualization Sharana , thx for that and your great work!

But I still have a couple of questions about the smoke.

You say the "puff circles" are treated as visually inpenetrable like islands. When I have an Island in my line of sight, I cannot spot anything behind that, no matter how close I am. In my expirience the smoke circles are not quite like that. 

I take those 2 pictures of your explanation as an example of what I mean

2qjzv9j.jpg

If those circles where islands the BB could not spot the DD, depending on the height of the islands, the height of the ship and the distance between them. If I am not directly inside the smoke circles , but behind them, like shown on these pictures, the ships usually get spotted. So either those smoke circles are not very high, or the mechanics are a little different than the ones of islands.

Could you maybe be a little more specific about this?

Edited by LilJumpa

Thanks for this Sharana, great guide

Really helped out in using the smoke screen effectively and just had a brilliant game in my Farragut because of it.

This kinda deserves to be a sticky in my eyes. Or put in to a sub-section page on the forum all about guides to the game. Great guide Sharana! :-)   

As always , very good explanation and visualization Sharana , thx for that and your great work!

But I still have a couple of questions about the smoke.

You say the "puff circles" are treated as visually inpenetrable like islands. When I have an Island in my line of sight, I cannot spot anything behind that, no matter how close I am. In my expirience the smoke circles are not quite like that. 

I take those 2 pictures of your explanation as an example of what I mean

2qjzv9j.jpg

If those circles where islands the BB could not spot the DD, depending on the height of the islands, the height of the ship and the distance between them. If I am not directly inside the smoke circles , but behind them, like shown on these pictures, the ships usually get spotted. So either those smoke circles are not very high, or the mechanics are a little different than the ones of islands.

Could you maybe be a little more specific about this?

Well according to WG the smoke is exactly like island and is very high - almost the altitude of the scout plane. The difference is that each portion of smoke is with radius 450m only, while the islands are much bigger - you can't use the 2km proximity spot with the islands, because they are usually bigger.

You can also get spotted from scout planes as I said, sometimes you can't even see them, while they can (you will see them when they are 4km or closer). 

Fantastic Guide, and the kind of post we like to see more of! +1 for me and I agree, Pin this thread.