You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
APPPPA1980

Smaland, Marceau or Paolo?

73 comments in this topic

Players
3,955 posts
21,106 battles

Paolo, Smalland, Marceau, in that order for random, unless you play competetive I guess. I did Marceau, Paolo and am still thinking about Smalland.

• Cool 2

Players
1,176 posts
13,497 battles

I did Marceau (simply cause its coal), Hayate, Paolo. 

Hayate doesnt work for me, Paolo is great fun but a tad hard, Marceau is fun & pretty good. 

I got videos on all three on my YT channel (Isoruku Yamamoto), drawing the same conclusions with video support xD

• Cool 1

Players
1,738 posts
14,976 battles
30 minutes ago, albin322 said:

dont have paolo but i realy like småland marceau is meh 

How do you play Sma'land?

Because I have Halland, and I seem to do better in Kleber.

Now My dichotomy is this, I have enough coal for Marceau, enough research points for Paolo, and enough XP for Sma'land, having said all this I ask my self are any of them better than Kleber and would I play any of them over Kleber and why would I?       Interesting...

Regards o7  

Players
344 posts
24,796 battles

Smalland, ultimate DD hunter with rapid fire, heal and 7.5 km radar. Also decent AA. Excelent choice for competitive.

• Cool 1

Players
454 posts

I find marceaus range not compatible with its speed. The speed is supposed to make it hard to be hit since you lack smoke but everyone hits you easily from 11-12 km. 

[SVX]
Players
1,383 posts
16,374 battles
8 hours ago, Buccaneer1 said:

How do you play Sma'land?

Because I have Halland, and I seem to do better in Kleber.

Now My dichotomy is this, I have enough coal for Marceau, enough research points for Paolo, and enough XP for Sma'land, having said all this I ask my self are any of them better than Kleber and would I play any of them over Kleber and why would I?       Interesting...

Regards o7  

its a hunter your focus is to kill other dds. your radar quick guns make sure of that you can dictate the engagements!

• Cool 1

Players
1,738 posts
14,976 battles
43 minutes ago, albin322 said:

its a hunter your focus is to kill other dds. your radar quick guns make sure of that you can dictate the engagements!

As I ponder My future fleet and personal game dynamics, I feel for me Halland is useless, it is to slow for DD Recon, Its guns do not seem to be deadly, combined with the 15km torpedoes I am struggling with the Combat Relevance of it.

I will keep it for snowflake events for the moment But to be frank I am not impressed with it. 

image.thumb.png.0f8ce933362cb5c395e2929951b69c18.png

Where as Friesland on the other hand is a " Proper Naughty Ride " :cap_haloween:

image.thumb.png.f82ee9f8bc8f6d499cf442b941f90bad.png

[SHAD]
Players
3,783 posts
15,168 battles

I love my Marceau. It’s  pretty much w guaranteed win when I charge down a DD in it. 
Soviet cruisers are an issue at less than 12km but Americans really struggle to hit you.

Throttle juking with engine boost is a vital skill to learn and can throw off planes at cruiser fire equally well.

I do not own Smalland or Paolo Emilio but will likely buy the Paolo.

• Cool 2

Players
1,738 posts
14,976 battles
32 minutes ago, gopher31 said:

I love my Marceau. It’s  pretty much w guaranteed win when I charge down a DD in it. 
Soviet cruisers are an issue at less than 12km but Americans really struggle to hit you.

Throttle juking with engine boost is a vital skill to learn and can throw off planes at cruiser fire equally well.

I do not own Smalland or Paolo Emilio but will likely buy the Paolo.

Is Marceau better than Kle'ber ?

Is Marceau worth the coal?

[SVX]
Players
1,383 posts
16,374 battles
41 minutes ago, Buccaneer1 said:

As I ponder My future fleet and personal game dynamics, I feel for me Halland is useless, it is to slow for DD Recon, Its guns do not seem to be deadly, combined with the 15km torpedoes I am struggling with the Combat Relevance of it.

I will keep it for snowflake events for the moment But to be frank I am not impressed with it. 

image.thumb.png.0f8ce933362cb5c395e2929951b69c18.png

Where as Friesland on the other hand is a " Proper Naughty Ride " :cap_haloween:

image.thumb.png.f82ee9f8bc8f6d499cf442b941f90bad.png

yea whou could play with a boat that reload torps in 1 minute that travels 15 km. and with a special cpatain rloads faster after 8 torpedo hitts. plus the dd makes bad cv players cry!

• Cool 1

Players
1,738 posts
14,976 battles
10 minutes ago, albin322 said:

yea whou could play with a boat that reload torps in 1 minute that travels 15 km. and with a special cpatain rloads faster after 8 torpedo hitts. plus the dd makes bad cv players cry!

May be that's, my problem inherently, I am a gun fighter although one of the greatest pleasures in My Life is " Bush Wacking "  folks with Kle'ber Torpedoes, The Salt is so very good for my respiratory system.   :cap_haloween:

OMG Typing this I just talked myself into buying Yolo Paolo....hahahahahahah

i have a bow and arrow

Players
2,244 posts
9,140 battles
17 minutes ago, Buccaneer1 said:

I don’t have the Kleber, but I think having an usable AA is a big plus on Marceau. It’s not Halland level AA, but you can shoot down a couple of planes while dodging, in a Kleber you have to dodge multiple attacks from the same squadron. Also the DPM is always high, and you have extended torp range. The torps are basically for yolo situations, so the range usually does not help, but ocassionally your stealth torps do hit something. The biggest plus is the AA which makes you more confident when there is a CV.

• Cool 1

Players
1,738 posts
14,976 battles
4 minutes ago, Ocsimano18 said:

I think having a n usable AA is a big plus on Marceau. It’s not Halland level AA, but you can shoot down a couple of planes while dodging, in a Kleber you have to dodge multiple attacks from the same squadron. 

A very good point My Friend +1

[JOLLY]
Players
520 posts
12,015 battles
3 hours ago, N00Boo7 said:

Smalland, ultimate DD hunter with rapid fire, heal and 7.5 km radar. Also decent AA. Excelent choice for competitive.

^^ 

I get lots of dd kills with Smal, but I struggle to sway or influence in random battles, despite this. Probably shines in a smaller 7 player competitive environment.

• Cool 1

Players
3,955 posts
21,106 battles

The Paolo is an absolute fun ship. The SAP is solid as it is combined with HE for extra BBQ, the torps are devestating, it's decently fast, the speedboost and engine smoke consumables are killer. I love it.

The Marceau is pretty sweet if you like french style dd's, but I've played it not realising it was so close to the kleber, which made it a bit odd contesting caps and such (:Smile_smile:), but that was my fault, not the ship.

[THESO]
Players
1,578 posts
18,625 battles
10 hours ago, APPPPA1980 said:

Which one should I go for first? 

Thank you for your input.

I would feel guilty if I talked youo into one and your presonal playstyle works better with another.

Paolo Emilio is imo too early to make a recommendation. It seems to have a funny play style, but that is given the player base has not gotten used to it. So you can currently rush unsuspecting weekend-warriors and torps them, using your speed boost and smoke. That however will only work until the players have adapted. Soon BBs will turn hard and switch to HE as soon as they seem some suspicious smoke coming their way. The long run playstyle of Paolo Emilio is probably very similar to Kleber, just without the fires. The hp-pool is even bigger, the ship is insanely fast. I'd even make a case for a Khaba-like double rudder-shift and AFT build. Since the dpm is mediocre, the guns should keep shooting contiuously so you won't use concealment expert too much. Smoke is your situational insta-concealment.

Marceau is similar. It has a fall back option of stealth torping, which is nice if you happen to be low-hp early. Just the arcs ... the arcs. They are ... I'm struggling to find a word that wouldn't get edited by a moderator. A ship that needs range as a defense but doesn't havethe arcs to hit reliably at that distance to me is an ill package. I had the coal for Marceau, I was close to getting it during the anniversary. I was bribed into getting it with the perspective of another supercontainer. Still that wasn't enough and people who had Marceau explicitly talked me out of it.

Smaland is the only ship I currently have of the three. That one grew on me. AA like Halland when not using DefAA. Huge difference, but still good enough. The radar is very nice cause you can almost guarantee to expose a capping DD. The guns are the 3rd best in it's tier close to Marceau and Harugumo. Actually they are as good as them, but the lower HP on Smaland makes you lose in direct comparison. So it's more about using radar to gain the initiative. It's a smart boat with lots of options, DD-hunting, HE-spam, torping. But the main argument for me is that even with all the gunboating, similar to a Harugumo it still has the tools to take caps

That said, none of these ships is what the game imo ever needed. I am tired of Wargaming introducing more and more of these selfish DD-designs. The Paolo Emilio tops it off. You might just as well send a Minotaur to cap. We see more and more of these battles where teams don't contest caps and epicenters. The steamrolls are not due to these designs, but they are part of that problem.

6 minutes ago, Buccaneer1 said:

I was advised against it. Better AA is nice, sure. But if a CV finds you, he will nonetheless engage and hit you, even more so since the spotting window is so comfortable that even a noob can aim. What sets Marceau apart is the torps and the arcs. The torps are a plus, but then again the ideal fighting distance of a Marceau is >12km, so it's a waste of time to get close for torps and then back up to go back to gunning. They are more for an unexpected ship or to torp smokes. So that is two points in Marceaus favor, but both are not overly relevant.

On the downside there however is a very relevant argument that you struggle to hit anything but BBs at range. So you need to be at range to kite cruisers and they can kite you and it comes down to if railgun cruisers hit a fast DD more reliably than you hit a moving cruiser with >10s shell flying time.

To showcase that I look at the stats of a clan mate. In Kleber he has a hit ratio of 38%, while on Marceau it's only 27%, by far the lowest hit ratio on all T10-DDs.

That raises the question: What good is all the dpm, if 73% of it plunges into the ocean?

One can do that better in a Colbert and way better in a Smolensk, without occupying a DD-spot needed for cap control.

• Cool 1

Players
344 posts
24,796 battles
47 minutes ago, LoveZeppelin said:

^^ 

I get lots of dd kills with Smal, but I struggle to sway or influence in random battles, despite this. Probably shines in a smaller 7 player competitive environment.

Yes, for randoms i find Halland better :)haall-small.thumb.jpg.5e62ffbf932536782b04eea2f3706654.jpg

• Cool 1

Players
2,244 posts
9,140 battles
32 minutes ago, HMS_Kilinowski said:

That raises the question: What good is all the dpm, if 73% of it plunges into the ocean?

One can do that better in a Colbert and way better in a Smolensk, without occupying a DD-spot needed for cap control.

The DPM is good for close range DD vs DD engagement, and for occasional AP attacks on low health cruisers and to complement torps with AP when yolo rushing a BB.

Players
1,738 posts
14,976 battles

I have only played 3 games so far but I am starting to love this maniac boat, I think it is well worth the coal, May be its because I play Kle'ber a lot ???

I been reported 3 times HaHaHa...ha

image.thumb.png.591dac2df4d987a5bff149230e765ee5.png

• Cool 3

Players
2,797 posts
33,716 battles
13 hours ago, APPPPA1980 said:

Which one should I go for first? 

Thank you for your input.

Marceau --> Coal ship, Farmer ship

Smaland --> FXP ship, DD Hunter ship

Paolo E. --> RB Point ship, Yolo ship

1. Comparing these three ships is wrong. It is like comparing apples to oranges, water melons, pineapples in pizza, etc.

2. All of them are obtainable by different in-game resources. Meaning, you can obtain all three of them without needing to give up one.

• Cool 3

[2PTS]
Players
266 posts
42,746 battles

each DD is different depends what style you prefer to play anyway stay away from the  khabas with heal they will shread you to pieces not many people play the khaba these days except me i suppose is my fav ship i love it !!!!! but ofc khaba is a mini cruser not a dd really LOLimage.thumb.png.62526c1d20550a72b55fd978f463f4b9.png