You need to play a total of 1 battles to post in this section.
The_EURL_Guy

Submarine Testing

218 comments in this topic

[NEXT]
Players
6,532 posts
12,371 battles

Those Anti-Submarine planes look cool

Though no deck guns and not real destinction of periscope cope depth and thus no real use of it? I might read the text closer *doing that now*

I mean for me, everything what we got so far looks nice, but Deck guns and useful periscop depths are missing imo

• Cool 2
  • Bad 2

[TACHA]
Players
1,175 posts

I thought the reason for subs going into the live game client previously was because separate test servers were not deemed to be of use with them. Is that no longer the case?

WoWs Wiki Team, Supertester, Privateer
2,125 posts
13,903 battles
Just now, NobleSauvage said:

I thought the reason for subs going into the live game client previously was because separate test servers were not deemed to be of use with them. Is that no longer the case?

As it's new mechanics like ASW-Options for BB a separate server is needed I guess. 

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
5,935 posts
22,951 battles

So WG really continues this idiocy? Wow... Vodka must have gotten much more expensive, so they have to drop lows to sell new ships...

None of the changes announced helps against the problems we all saw during the last testing phase... but go ahead, WG.. you also the CV reee-work even when many skilled CV players told you that it would an idiotic move... nobody expects any logical choices from you anyway nowadays...

• Cool 19
  • Funny 2
  • Bad 1

[EUTF]
Players
299 posts
7,130 battles

one complain

The prime time except Saturday/Sunday time is tailored towards people that dont have a work or life - for other normal people we just left with only weekend time to try test .... :Smile_sad:

• Cool 2

[NEXT]
Players
6,532 posts
12,371 battles
2 minutes ago, HMS_Edinburgh_C16 said:

another nail in the coffin for this game, can't wait for the russian cv's to completly destroy this game :etc_swear:

That coffin needs a lot nails :3

• Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[NEXT]
Players
6,532 posts
12,371 battles
2 minutes ago, quickr said:

What's the use of a destroyer class again?

What you mean? You play a ship because of it's characteristics and play style? It sounds like you ask what the use of Pizza is, when there are Burgers... I mean, it's up to you want you like to play ^^

• Cool 2
  • Bad 3

[RDNT]
Players
188 posts

Will testing only be available in the WG client or also in the Steam client?

Don't really see any instructions for those of us using Steam. 

And for the record: I'm looking forward to the subs being added, feel free to ignite me xD

• Cool 2
  • Bad 3

[CHEFT]
Players
457 posts
5,379 battles

Can't wait for the Russian sub line which no doubt will involve WG magically "discovering" designs on one of Stalin's napkins for a WW2 era submarine capable of launching guided missiles.

Please can we just not?

• Cool 3
  • Funny 6

Players
16 posts
5,868 battles

I've watched the video and am rather disappointed.

So subs still don't have to surface? Why not? Bring back oxygen supply and force them to surface after it's depleted. Also the anti sub warfare for cruisers and battleships still seems highly flawed: if the sub can see a ship from 9 km away (with a standard detection of 14), but the surface ship cannot detect it at that range, then what on earth do the planes help you? And since the sub is not forced to surface there is little you can do apart from turning away, especially if there is now DD to help. Sure, you could try to push in, but the sub is most likely not alone and with the citadeling torps that's suicide. Talking about the torps - they still turn waaaaay too fast. If they are able to citadel ships, they shouldn't be that maneuverable in my opinion. Obviously it's hard to judge from a video alone and I'll have to see how gameplay develops, but I'm afraid that I will stop playing for good when they get implemented into random battles.

• Cool 12

[BHSFL]
Players
680 posts

I have to comment that my issues with submarines wasnt addressed and they just made then harder to play, in the live server test they seem to be utterly useless because of obtuse UI were the player spends more time trying to get a shoot in that anything else.

Someone at WG is deadset in a mechanic that simply doesnt work, pinging is a obtuse and annoying mechanic that in order to force the player to use it forces incredible tiny firing angles on torpedo tubes when in reality torpedoes had wide angles because they (torpedoes) were set to steer into a heading after being launched.

As long those wire-guided torpedoes exist I have absolutely no interest in submarines, not because they are broken but because they are unhistorical bullcrap and not because of "balance" reasons but because some developer at WG decided in this gameplay design that simply put, in my opinion is crap.

• Cool 12

[CATS]
Players
31,809 posts
15,918 battles

While this iteration has some good improvements, it looks like subs can still spot DD, while submerged, and subs can stay submerged as long as they want.

That makes subs superior DD hunters...

• Cool 1

[BHSFL]
Players
680 posts
1 minute ago, ColonelPete said:

While this iteration has some good improvements, it looks like subs can still spot DD, while submerged, and subs can stay submerged as long as they want.

Nay, they were crap at it due to the stupid ping mechanic as it was finicky (it was like shooting a watergun, underwater and on top of that, having to hit two different targets within a time limit) and all they did was drawing attention to the DD that simply DC then to death.

Its worst NOW because of the battery changes, the detection changes as well the ping changes as what happens if the DD knows the bearing of the sub due to the highlight on the hull and avoiding torpedoes wasnt hard either.

A submarine should never be a DD hunter, hell WG can easily do that by simply giving DD a auto sub detection range of 5-7km without even having to use hydro but even before that they really were bad at it, in a way I think WG grossly overestimates submarines capabilities and simply puts too much stress on submarine captains to even perform on the same level as DD captains, anyone that played submarine battles knew how they pretty much were a dead weight and easy prey to anything with DC.

[RUMR]
Players
10 posts
7,324 battles

WG: "We heard you people. Now submarines can stay underwater unlimited amount of time and they can keep going full speed. Also batteries will be charging but just a little for... you know, balancing reasons. Also submerged subs will be able to keep spotting ships on surface in ONLY half of their view range. What a nerf, right?" :cap_book:

I tried to be constructive in last iteration of test. It took some time to sum up all my thoughts in survey and to give my ideas how to "make subs work" (what a meme, right?). Not gonna do that again. You clearly didn't listen to anything community said. Good think is, with those kinds of changes between each testing sesions, you will never get subs to fully operation state, and I am OK with that. Beacuse you would never release content that is not working properly, right? That would be just stupid...

Good job Wargaming:cap_like:

• Cool 10

[-RNR-]
Players
1,298 posts

I think my best option is to keep my money in my pocket and see how far this :etc_swear: Show plays out and laugh from the side lines I just can't be doing with another total screw up like the CV debacle and an endless cycle of month after month of tweeks alterations bugs and a downright :etc_swear: Fest again. WG will do as WG wants

BORG 2.jpg

• Cool 13

[NEXT]
Players
6,532 posts
12,371 battles
36 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

The DD has ~4km concealment. And then there is the passiv Hydro. So there are two ways: No reason for the DD to go that close, or the DD is in a situation, where he can kill the submarine. Up to the DD player.

ALso the new ping system favors the DD duo his maneuverbility. The Torps need line of sight, so just wiggle left right and the torps stop homing. Don't see why they are DD hunters.

• Boring 1
  • Bad 4

Players
434 posts
7,037 battles
Vor 42 Minuten, Gullivergumba sagte:

I've watched the video and am rather disappointed.

So subs still don't have to surface? Why not? Bring back oxygen supply and force them to surface after it's depleted. Also the anti sub warfare for cruisers and battleships still seems highly flawed: if the sub can see a ship from 9 km away (with a standard detection of 14), but the surface ship cannot detect it at that range, then what on earth do the planes help you? And since the sub is not forced to surface there is little you can do apart from turning away, especially if there is now DD to help. Sure, you could try to push in, but the sub is most likely not alone and with the citadeling torps that's suicide. Talking about the torps - they still turn waaaaay too fast. If they are able to citadel ships, they shouldn't be that maneuverable in my opinion. Obviously it's hard to judge from a video alone and I'll have to see how gameplay develops, but I'm afraid that I will stop playing for good when they get implemented into random battles.

The changes to Battery are supposed to give you more reasons to surface. if that's not enough(i think so as well) there can be more tweaks in the future. keep in mind, this is only another beta test. The ASW plane is not there to hunt subs at 10km, its purpose is to give you at least some sort of defence when you are being rushed/hunted down by a submarine. At the range it is supposed to work there is a hydrophone active. But in general, you are absolutely not supposed to turn in on a sub and rush it successfully down with a bb. the same way you wouldn't actively hunt a shima most of the times.

• Boring 2
  • Bad 1

[CATS]
Players
31,809 posts
15,918 battles
26 minutes ago, WWDragon said:

Nay, they were crap at it due to the stupid ping mechanic as it was finicky (it was like shooting a watergun, underwater and on top of that, having to hit two different targets within a time limit) and all they did was drawing attention to the DD that simply DC then to death....

3 minutes ago, Pikkozoikum said:

The DD has ~4km concealment. And then there is the passiv Hydro. ...

It is enough to get the DD spotted.

• Cool 2

[NEXT]
Players
6,532 posts
12,371 battles
2 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

It is enough to get the DD spotted.

So the DD goes not closer than 4 km, if he can't manage the spotting state. SS are not known for being high speed boats, epsecially submerged

• Bad 1
  • Angry 2