Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
LoveZeppelin

HMS Sheffield, the tier 8 Town Class we deserve

63 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[JOLLY]
Players
519 posts
11,958 battles

HMS Shiny Sheff Sheffield, the tier 8 stainless steel Town Class premium we deserve, not the lazy, cost cutting, cloning and uptiering of HMS Belfast.

 

Name: HMS Sheffield
Builder: Vickers Armstrong
Laid down: 31 January 1935
Launched: 23 July 1936
Commissioned: 25 August 1937
Identification: Pennant number: C24
Nickname(s): Shiny Sheff
Fate: Scrapped at Faslane, 1967

 

 

An exceptional characteristic of Shiny Sheff, was her advanced (for the time) air search radar.

Her operational history was also quite a story, between Mediteranean CV escort duty, combat versus the Italian navy, action in May 1941 Atlantic she took part inthe hunt for Bismarck, during which she narrowly avoided being sunk by the aircraft carrier, HMS Ark Royal(!), during this operation she went on to sink 2 of Bismarck's resupply ships. In 1942 Sheffield was assigned to convoys in Arctic, in december 1942, engaging Admiral Hipper, and sinking the destroyer Friedrich Eckoldt, the German dd confusing Sheffield for Hipper, in yet another lucky escape for Shiny Sheff! After a final operation in 1944, off the coast of Norway, she was sent to the USA for a refit, where she would stay until the end of the war.

In 1959 Shiny Sheff showed off yet another talent, turning actor, performing in the Hollywood role of HMS Leander in Battle of the River Plate.

HMS Sheffield was widely regarded as an excellent candidate for conversion to museum ship, having retained far more attributes of a ww2 Town class cruiser, than HMS Belfast. But Shiny Sheff's adventures had left her in poor material condition, so she was scrapped in 1967.

But her stainless steel bell is still rung.

 

465px-Bell_of_HMS_Sheffield_(1937).jpg

I wish Wargaming would show a little more imagination with their choices for Town class reward/premiums. HMS Belfast, while a fine ship, neither deserves nor needs to be cloned at tier 8, not when so many other storied and loved Town class cruiser examples are ready and waiting, for players to discover, including Birmingham and Gloucester. But here is a real stainless steel ship, one that was built, that fought and that .. starred in a movie! Not a paper egocruiser named after a murdered city named after a murderous dictator (Stalingrad).

 

  • Cool 20

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
5,113 posts
20,919 battles
2 minutes ago, LoveZeppelin said:

HMS Shiny Sheff Sheffield, the tier 8 stainless steel Town Class premium we deserve, not the lazy, cost cutting, cloning and uptiering of HMS Belfast.

 

Name: HMS Sheffield
Builder: Vickers Armstrong
Laid down: 31 January 1935
Launched: 23 July 1936
Commissioned: 25 August 1937
Identification: Pennant number: C24
Nickname(s): Shiny Sheff
Fate: Scrapped at Faslane, 1967

 

 

An exceptional characteristic of Shiny Sheff, was her advanced (for the time) air search radar.

Her operational history was also quite a story, between Mediteranean CV escort duty, combat versus the Italian navy, action in May 1941 Atlantic she took part inthe hunt for Bismarck, during which she narrowly avoided being sunk by the aircraft carrier, HMS Ark Royal(!), during this operation she went on to sink 2 of Bismarck's resupply ships. In 1942 Sheffield was assigned to convoys in Arctic, in december 1942, engaging Admiral Hipper, and sinking the destroyer Friedrich Eckoldt, the German dd confusing Sheffield for Hipper, in yet another lucky escape for Shiny Sheff! After a final operation in 1944, off the coast of Norway, she was sent to the USA for a refit, where she would stay until the end of the war.

In 1959 Shiny Sheff showed off yet another talent, turning actor, performing in the Hollywood role of HMS Leander in Battle of the River Plate.

HMS Sheffield was widely regarded as an excellent candidate for conversion museum ship, having retained far more attributes of a ww2 Town class cruiser, than HMS Belfast. But Shiny Sheff's adventures had left her in poor material condition, so she was scrapped in 1967.

But her stainless steel bell is still rung.

 

465px-Bell_of_HMS_Sheffield_(1937).jpg

I wish Wargaming would show a little more imagination with their choices for Town class reward/premiums. HMS Belfast, while a fine ship, neither deserves nor needs to be cloned at tier 8, not when so many other storied and loved Town class cruiser examples are ready and waiting, for players to discover, including Birmingham and Gloucester. But here is a real stainless steel ship, one that was built, that fought and that .. starred in a movie! Not a paper egocruiser named after a murdered city named after a murderous dictator (Stalingrad).

 

Your missing the point.. Though I agree with your sentiment

 

HMS Belfast  IS a Museum ship. So the tie in having a prem ship that you can go visit is obvious. A better solution would be to balance the tier VII Prem ship and make her balanced and then put her back on sale.

 But the community would go MAD about that (and yes I have the ship and think it needs rebalancing).

 

Even the way WG is doing this is wrong to my thinking, AS like the tier VII HMS Belfast.. Its much better where possible to make the ingame PREM ship to have the same configuration as the Museum Version.

 

This is also the reason why I believe the  Blyskawica should have 2x4 102MM guns she Had through most of WW2 or the 100 MM (that look the same as the British 102s) that she has today not the 7 120mm she has in-game

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[JOLLY]
Players
519 posts
11,958 battles
9 minutes ago, T0byJug said:

Your missing the point..

Maybe you are missing the point of my post.

(I also don't think you reached the part where I discuss HMS Belfast's conversion to museum ship.)

We ALREADY have HMS Belfast in game, we do not need it twice over! While if the concern is educational (the purpose of Museums..) the museum ship HMS Belfast would only be delighted for WOWS to have its players discover other examples of the Town class cruisers.

We do not need HMS Belfast to be cloned, while if she were truly broken, people wouldn't be able to obtain her in super/xmas/containers. Besides, the upcoming captain skill rework, and recent changes to IFHE, all have the potential to put her in her place, and make her obtainable for doublons, once again. She was OP 3 years ago, but much has changed to the game since then.

9 minutes ago, T0byJug said:

Its much better where possible to make the ingame PREM ship to have the same configuration as the Museum Version.

I agree with this sentiment.


Besides, think of the weebs

Sheffield.png

 

  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CR33D]
[CR33D]
Players
3,019 posts
29,151 battles
45 minutes ago, LoveZeppelin said:

HMS Shiny Sheff Sheffield, the tier 8 stainless steel Town Class premium we deserve, not the lazy, cost cutting, cloning and uptiering of HMS Belfast.

 

Sure I would like to see HMS Sheffield too but, as @T0byJug said, HMS Belfast is museum ship and much more requested than "Shiny Sheff"

 

45 minutes ago, LoveZeppelin said:

I wish Wargaming would show a little more imagination with their choices for Town class reward/premiums. HMS Belfast, while a fine ship, neither deserves nor needs to be cloned at tier 8, not when so many other storied and loved Town class cruiser examples are ready and waiting, for players to discover, including Birmingham and Gloucester. But here is a real stainless steel ship, one that was built, that fought and that .. starred in a movie!

 

Well if you have a Town model somewhere ready you can send it to WG and ask them to include it in the game. If you don't than you have to wait for WG to make one. And guess what, unlike other Town class cruisers, WG already have a model of improved Town class cruiser which by coincidence is a model of HMS Belfast.

 

Quote

Not a paper egocruiser named after a murdered city named after a murderous dictator (Stalingrad).

 

What the hell is that does with anything? Do you think that we are still not get Sheffield because WG decided to make SG in the game? Like it was a choice between SG and Sheffield and WG decided to go with first one? Why would we not have SG in the game? 

 

21 minutes ago, LoveZeppelin said:

Maybe you are missing the point of my post.

 

I still think that you are the one that missing the point. You are not arguing should WG add Sheffield in the game but why they are giving a Belfast instead of Sheffield.

 

Quote

We ALREADY have HMS Belfast in game, we do not need it twice over! While if the concern is educational (the purpose of Museums..) the museum ship HMS Belfast would only be delighted for WOWS to have its players discover other examples of the Town class cruisers.

 

And we will in time. But that would require a new model and that require time.

 

Quote

We do not need HMS Belfast to be cloned, while if she were truly broken, people wouldn't be able to obtain her in super/xmas/containers.

 

Just ... LOL

 

Quote

She was OP 3 years ago, but much has changed to the game since then.

 

Yup, so much changed and it is still OP. Imagine how good she was originally. when you compare it with current stats for Belfast '43, original one is way better ship at one tier lower.

 

Quote

Besides, think of the weebs

 

Why would we think of weebs? Not everyone is into that stuff.

  • Cool 2
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
5,113 posts
20,919 battles
36 minutes ago, LoveZeppelin said:

Maybe you are missing the point of my post.

(I also don't think you reached the part where I discuss HMS Belfast's conversion to museum ship.)

We ALREADY have HMS Belfast in game, we do not need it twice over! While if the concern is educational (the purpose of Museums..) the museum ship HMS Belfast would only be delighted for WOWS to have its players discover other


 

 

 

Owww I get your point completely

 

BUT

You cant buy Belfast any more. As for having her in Xmas containers.. that is there on purpose to get people to buy the boxes on the hope to get the OP Removed ships.

 

For the same reason in tanks every so often you get the Pz.Kpfw. I Ausf. C a tier II German tank as part of 99€ dols bundles

she is as OP as hell and has not been available for a LOOOONG time in the shop

 

She is the Biggest Museum ship for EU players (Museum ship that is in Europe) I Know about the Russian CRuiser museum ship.

 

They want here buyable in game.. and at the moment they cant Put the tier VII Belfast back in the shop

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LADA]
Players
619 posts
9,059 battles
45 minutes ago, T0byJug said:

Your missing the point.. Though I agree with your sentiment

 

HMS Belfast  IS a Museum ship. So the tie in having a prem ship that you can go visit is obvious. A better solution would be to balance the tier VII Prem ship and make her balanced and then put her back on sale.

 

 

HERESY! Stand still and be pelted with teapots until ye shall recant!

 

Belfast is as perfectly balanced as Stalingrad, Kremlin, Petropavlosk, etc. It's FIIIIIIIINNNEEE. *

 

*Terms and conditions apply. All vessels liked by Gvozdika shall be considered balanced until they sink him frequently - whereby they shall be deemed unbalanced. This does not affect your statutory rights. You forfeit your right to an opinion unless you agree with Gvozdika. 

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[JOLLY]
Players
519 posts
11,958 battles
Just now, T0byJug said:

 

 

She is the Biggest Museum ship for EU players (Museum ship that is in Europe) I Know about Russian CRuiser museum ship.

 

They want here buyable in game.. and at the moment they cant Put the tier VII Belfast back in the shop

Who says this? Where is the customer survey that says this? Where spreadsheet?

I have never seen many forum posts asking for HMS Belfast. Besides, people ask for what they know about, most players only know about Belfast because of WOWS, not because of her museum ship status. People cannot ask for what they don't know. 

All the more reason to get players to discover other examples, taking inspiration from the educational project of the museum ship HMS Belfast, whose purpose is not to cover the museum in glory, but quite the opposite, be at the service of history.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SM0KE]
Players
6,400 posts
14,928 battles
28 minutes ago, LoveZeppelin said:

most players only know about Belfast because of WOWS

I would think this is spectacularly doubtful - if you have an interest in naval history and are British, you would have known about Belfast (and quite possibly have been over her) since long before WOWS was even thought of...

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[JOLLY]
Players
519 posts
11,958 battles
4 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

I would think this is spectacularly doubtful - if you have an interest in naval history and are British, you would have known about Belfast (and quite possibly have been over her) since long before WOWS was even thought of...

A minority of British players, have a pre existing interest (beyond youtube clickbait) in naval history, while British players, are a minority of WOWS players. So a minority of a minority of a minority/

Anyone who has a genuine and pre WOWS interest in ww2 naval history, (a very small minority) will be aware of all the Town class cruisers, not just Belfast. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TACHA]
Players
1,502 posts
16,894 battles

I would prefer a Dido class - we already have the Crown Colony class and the improved Town class. I am really not sure what another RN cruiser with 12 6" guns has to offer. 

  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
5,113 posts
20,919 battles
29 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

I would think this is spectacularly doubtful - if you have an interest in naval history and are British, you would have known about Belfast (and quite possibly have been over her) since long before WOWS was even thought of...

MMMMM and..???

 A dam site less will have heard about HMS Sheffield then to use your argument.

 

 

EDIT

25 minutes ago, LoveZeppelin said:

A minority of British players, have a pre existing interest (beyond youtube clickbait) in naval history, while British players, are a minority of WOWS players. So a minority of a minority of a minority/

Anyone who has a genuine and pre WOWS interest in ww2 naval history, (a very small minority) will be aware of all the Town class cruisers, not just Belfast. 

what i meant to Quote

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SM0KE]
Players
6,400 posts
14,928 battles
9 minutes ago, LoveZeppelin said:

Anyone who has a genuine and pre WOWS interest in ww2 naval history, (a very small minority) will be aware of all the Town class cruisers, not just Belfast.

Not a chance: the rest of them aren't parked on the Thames, right next to several of the most well-known landmarks in London, and don't appear in multiple blockbuster films (usually with wizards flying past and/or superheroes/aliens exploding stuff next door).

 

When you're initially learning about this stuff, all the focus in the books is on the big impressive BBs, and things like Ark Royal; most things like cruisers and destroyers tend to be relegated to supporting roles; you only really find out about the latter once your interest is already whetted, and you've known about Belfast for months/years.

 

I get that this is a bit of an injustice, to put it mildly, but that's the way things are...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SM0KE]
Players
6,400 posts
14,928 battles
3 minutes ago, T0byJug said:

MMMMM and..???

Er, you appear to be making my point for me - my assertion is that almost anyone in the UK who has even a passing interest in warships knows about Belfast (plus a lot who don't, and just vaguely know London), whereas only those with a more specific interest know about Sheffield.

 

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that more people know about the Type 42 Sheffield than know about the WW2 cruiser...

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[THESO]
[THESO]
Players
2,823 posts
25,511 battles
51 minutes ago, Gvozdika said:

HERESY! Stand still and be pelted with teapots until ye shall recant!

 

Belfast is as perfectly balanced as Stalingrad, Kremlin, Petropavlosk, etc. It's FIIIIIIIINNNEEE. *

 

*Terms and conditions apply. All vessels liked by Gvozdika shall be considered balanced until they sink him frequently - whereby they shall be deemed unbalanced. This does not affect your statutory rights. You forfeit your right to an opinion unless you agree with Gvozdika. 

:Smile_amazed:... there it is, the avatar that came to life :Smile_veryhappy:. kudos :Smile_honoring:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CR33D]
[CR33D]
Players
3,019 posts
29,151 battles
44 minutes ago, LoveZeppelin said:

Who says this? Where is the customer survey that says this? Where spreadsheet?

I have never seen many forum posts asking for HMS Belfast. Besides, people ask for what they know about, most players only know about Belfast because of WOWS, not because of her museum ship status. People cannot ask for what they don't know. 

 

You know that forum is not the only way of communication with WG. There are things like reddit, discord and twitch, which are probably even more active than this forum. And through all time, there is way more request for Belfast than any other Town class cruiser.

 

44 minutes ago, LoveZeppelin said:

All the more reason to get players to discover other examples, taking inspiration from the educational project of the museum ship HMS Belfast, whose purpose is not to cover the museum in glory, but quite the opposite, be at the service of history.

 

And they will arrive eventually I just don't see what is a problem with getting Belfast 43 now and some other Town class latter. It is just that they have Belfast model ready, any other Town class would require more work and time, maybe even completely new model, to add. Time which they might not have now but, sooner or latter, for sure there will be representative of the first two batches of the Town class cruisers.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
5,113 posts
20,919 battles
9 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

Er, you appear to be making my point for me - my assertion is that almost anyone in the UK who has even a passing interest in warships knows about Belfast (plus a lot who don't, and just vaguely know London), whereas only those with a more specific interest know about Sheffield.

 

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that more people know about the Type 42 Sheffield than know about the WW2 cruiser...

oopppss quoted the wrong post... Edited my original

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SM0KE]
Players
6,400 posts
14,928 battles

BTW for the avoidance of doubt: Sheffield would be on my 'instabuy' list (assuming WG didn't mess it up)...

  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[JOLLY]
Players
519 posts
11,958 battles
6 minutes ago, fumtu said:

You know that forum is not the only way of communication with WG. There are things like reddit, discord and twitch, which are probably even more active than this forum. And through all time, there is way more request for Belfast than any other Town class cruiser.

Requests for Belfast on reddit and Discord have always been quite rare. As rare as on this forum.

As for "more requests for Belfast than any other Town class cruiser", well yes, I admit that is probably true. Most players have only heard of two, Belfast and Edinburgh, by playing WOWS. It is a tautology.

In any case, there is zero quantifiable evidence of player demand, one way or another. Just hearsay.

6 minutes ago, fumtu said:

any other Town class would require more work and time, maybe even completely new model, to add.

utter balls.

Of course a new model would be required, so?

WOWS has been in development for 7+ years. Devs have the plans, while modelling the minor visual differences would not require great effort (HMS Birmingham would be trickier due to her flared bow).

2 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

BTW for the avoidance of doubt: Sheffield would be on my 'instabuy' list (assuming WG didn't mess it up)...

who wouldn't want to buy this ? 

17 minutes ago, T0byJug said:

MMMMM and..???

 A dam site less will have heard about HMS Sheffield then to use your argument.

 

 

EDIT

what i meant to Quote

 

You should start again, I have lost the thread of our exchange.

  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SM0KE]
Players
6,400 posts
14,928 battles
1 minute ago, LoveZeppelin said:

who wouldn't want to buy this ?

A very sick + twisted individual...!

  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
5,113 posts
20,919 battles
Just now, Verblonde said:

BTW for the avoidance of doubt: Sheffield would be on my 'instabuy' list (assuming WG didn't mess it up)...

Thing is there is not a single person saying that HMS Sheffield would not be great to have in the game..

 

All People are Explaining is WHY WG have picked HMS Belfast.. But @LoveZeppelin he is not prepared to hear this. He only wants people to agree

 

  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[JOLLY]
Players
519 posts
11,958 battles
7 minutes ago, T0byJug said:

All People are Explaining is WHY WG have picked HMS Belfast.. But @LoveZeppelin he is not prepared to hear this. He only wants people to agree

 

You keep repeating why you think WG have chosen HMS Belfast, which is fine. Neither I nor anybody else has to agree/disagree with you. Is that a problem? 

edit : I have to log out, I'll check back into this thread tomorrow, and reply to any questions/criticisms/rotten tomatoes, then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,057 posts
15,102 battles

Wow! People sure are passionate about seeing more famous and historical ships in the game.

 

All I can say is: Behold! My stuff.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.13377da62581ef1044fc48f5c35f43fb.png

 

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-TPF-]
Players
4,347 posts
18,216 battles

Why, out of all the Azur Lane characters, is HMS Newcastle the most dressed? She's not a Geordie lass, for sure.

 

Sheffield has been on my most-wanted list for years. With a Sean Bean voice over, of course. Peak Sheffield, that. 

  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×