Pepsii721

Free XP ships

19 comments in this topic

Question

[SS1]
Players
1 post
361 battles

So in the past week I've gained around 100k Fxp just by using alot of flags and camos, but I'm hesitant to use it as I can't decide whether its best to use it for free XP ships (specifically the Alaska) or just tech line ships

Are the free XP ships worth it or is it better to use the xp for speeding up the grind in the tech line ships?

18 answers to this question

[CATS]
Players
28,796 posts
15,091 battles

Do not jump lines, you will lack the experience to get good results.

Yes, one can use Free XP to shorten the module research. But with signals and camos you can shorten that anyway.

I prefer to use Free XP on stuff that I cannot get any other way and that are Free XP ships.

Nelson is a nice ship, as is Alaska.

• Cool 4

[N0RSE]
Players
249 posts
11,021 battles

Use "free exp" very carefully, it's the hardest resource to grind outside of steel unless you got lots of flags and rare camouflages. Regarding ships, there are a fair few to chose from, most of them bring something special to the game, but it all depends on what you want to play or like to play. BUT, lately, read last 2 years ish, WG has gotten more and more bent on milking it's players so the prices has gone through the roof. For new players this makes some of the ships (Hayate, Småland) pretty hard grinds (2.000.000 free exp) and most likely will not bring the farmer as much as Nelson for 375.000 will, or even Alaska for a cold mill at T9.

Value for money, Nelson, hands down. 

I have played so long that free exp is no longer a big issue, so I spend my free exp to reset the lines for the research bureau and never run stock ships. Never use your "free exp" to level a captain. Once you get 1 T19 captain you will start getting plenty.

Lastly, take my words with a grain of salt, I'm a grumpy old bastard feeling abandoned by WG, which kinda colours my responses. 

TL:DR, Ship for f.exp = Nelson, Do not waste f.exp on captains or skipping ships (unless you get depressed playing them, there are plenty of those).

-Fesvil

WoWs Wiki Team, Supertester, Privateer
2,074 posts
13,098 battles
56 minutes ago, Pepsii721 said:

Are the free XP ships worth it or is it better to use the xp for speeding up the grind in the tech line ships?

Speeding up - despite avoiding Stock-Ships - is the worst decision you can do.

[TOXIC]
Players
94 posts
5,694 battles
Am 18.10.2020 um 22:10, Pepsii721 sagte:

So in the past week I've gained around 100k Fxp just by using alot of flags and camos, but I'm hesitant to use it as I can't decide whether its best to use it for free XP ships (specifically the Alaska) or just tech line ships

If you don't have Nelson yet, get Nelson.

Beyond that I wouldn't recommend getting freexp ships until you hit the respective tiers with your tech tree progression, not because they're not worth it (they absolutely are if you've got nothing pressing to do with your freexp), but because you won't have a lot of fun being thrown into a T10 battle without the necessary experience. Of course similar would be true for Nelson, but I assume that you are at least at T5 already and from there you should be able to get used to T7 quite quickly.

Players
6 posts
Am 18.10.2020 um 22:10, Pepsii721 sagte:

Hello,

Unfortunately there are too many beginners who believe that with a few battles and a few higher-tier premium ships, success will automatically come!

Ambition is generally not a bad thing, but overconfidence is and has never been a good teacher!

They storm forward without looking back at what they have achieved so far.
And the Bis T5 achieved so far is not exactly a healthy foundation on which to build. Not to mention the missing destroyers. You should also learn and understand how your future opponents will play

With the little experience you have so far, you will not achieve any lasting success, even if you have success from time to time.

First, learn fundamentally the game mechanics and gain experience. Here is some reading that can help improve performance: 

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/forum/365-game-guides-and-tutorials/

What do you want with an "Alaska"? T9 / 10 is certainly an attractive target.
But without real experience, the fun will certainly fall by the wayside.

Save your earned resources and don't waste them. The previous speakers have already mentioned it!

Something else about me:
Don't let my profile fool you. It's just what remains of my own stupidity and arrogance. This account is about to die.

Kind regards

(Google Translator

[SM0KE]
Players
6,382 posts
14,909 battles
On 10/18/2020 at 4:10 PM, Pepsii721 said:

Are free xp ships worth it? Absolutely, *but* (and it's a big but) only if you're ready for them and/or know how to play that sort of thing and at that sort of tier; as others have alluded to, jumping into something like an Alaska would be a miserable experience for most unless they have plenty of experience in high tier US cruiser/BB gameplay already.

What I would suggest you do with free xp during your initial playing career would be something along the following lines:

• Don't use it to skip tiers (you miss out on invaluable playing experience if you do); you should play every ship in every tech tree that you go up.
  • I would suggest using it instead to unlock some or all (depending on ship) of a new ship's modules; this avoids playing ships stock, which can be miserable (at least in PvP).
  • Try not to use it to 'finish off' ship grinds as much as possible; partly for the aforementioned 'experience' reasons, but also because free xp is quite hard to get, so it's sensible to save it for when you really need it. I'm not a paragon in this area, recently having free xped at least a third of the experience needed to get past the US T9 CL, because I utterly hated the ship in question (Seattle), for example, but - as much as possible - try not to do as I do in this case!
  • Not everyone agrees, but I also used to use a lot of free xp to develop my captains, especially if it got me to a significant milestone (most commonly 10 points, as that's the minimum you want for +2 MM battles); once you get at least one 19 point captain (or 21 pointer after the rework, as things stand), the need to do this drops off, as it's a *lot* easier to generate elite xp than free xp. The hard bit is getting that first 19 pointer, and free xp can help.

Players
6 posts
Vor 1 Stunde, Verblonde sagte:

Not everyone agrees, but I also used to use a lot of free xp to develop my captains, especially if it got me to a significant milestone (most commonly 10 points, as that's the minimum you want for +2 MM battles); once you get at least one 19 point captain (or 21 pointer after the rework, as things stand), the need to do this drops off, as it's a *lot* easier to generate elite xp than free xp. The hard bit is getting that first 19 pointer, and free xp can help.

Hello,

this is a problem that beginners usually neglect!

A captain of 10 is almost a must today!

And for a beginner, 183,000 captain points to be earned for a 10 captain are a considerable effort!

838968044_Kapitn1.thumb.png.63c65fe2f9dff18475ee1efdb8efd5fd.png

Even if you only play one ship class of a nation and continue to use the captain on every new ship you buy (new tier)!
Apart from that, how long it takes for his captain to show 19 (21) points.
Surely every beginner can buy at least one 10 captain with doubloons from the "WG_Geschenken", if he has not wasted them elsewhere!

To play with the "big boys" and have a certain chance, a 10 is the minimum! And experience comes with time.

Without knowing the mentality of the questioner, it is difficult to recommend something.

I have a "student" (a relative who needs a distraction!)

It started at the beginning of August. The status at the end of September is as follows:

1673954118_CC-1.thumb.png.9c723435af407c27f95802e48fdf1b75.png

1868624989_CC-2.thumb.png.0e04cc4f0f4e1212249ed657f67847ac.png

549431457_CC-3.thumb.png.6c2c664dbce392cf36c6b83f4b62e8cd.png

504147501_CC-4.thumb.png.fa51b2c96860eb70701e13cfdfef9663.png

I recommended him not to play in Random Battles until the ship has at least a 10. The CV has to wait.
It may seem one-sided at first glance, but on the other hand, how many different countries do I need to learn the basic terms that are the same for all countries?
It won't be long before he goes his own way!

And the "Hermine" is something special! With a few battles she at least wins (see photo)! And you can never have enough signals, can you?

1963727898_CC-7.png.d9d26bedd1728fcf70aaad80d68170ae.png

If that's not a "healthy entry" into WoWs, what then?

Kind regards

(Google ranslator)

[-GG-]
[-GG-]
Players
371 posts
21,321 battles
On 10/18/2020 at 10:10 PM, Pepsii721 said:

Buy Friesland. It has "broken" credit coeficient and can print credits without effort.

[SHAFT]
Players
1,227 posts
25,011 battles
17 hours ago, radius77 said:

Buy Friesland. It has "broken" credit coeficient and can print credits without effort.

Not an easy ship to play if her captain is inexperienced, plus her trick is she doesn't have torps.  

Friesland is a very nice ship but you have to be familiar with that particular playstyle.

• Cool 1

[BOATY]
Players
779 posts
15,060 battles

Alaska is half bb half cruiser is you are any where decent in either of those you should do fine. Friesland is a solid boat but the lack of torps is a bit of a problem. Azuma is trash avoid, I have not gotten the agir yet... but on paper it looks decent.

[IUN]
[IUN]
Players
82 posts
7,096 battles
On 10/18/2020 at 11:16 PM, ColonelPete said:

Nelson is a nice ship, as is Alaska.

U can get nelson for fxp.
But alsaka was for sale for only 60 eur or something like that. so its not worth of wasting free exp in amount of 1m on it + most of other fexp ships are crap as hell. 
They are only good for few patch/updates after they get released, then they are just rubbish like every other ship that gets released. 
Its like endless wargaming money making machinery that most of us doesn't see.

[CATS]
Players
28,796 posts
15,091 battles
11 minutes ago, scr1337 said:

U can get nelson for fxp.

That is what is this thread is about...

And not everyone wants to spend 60€ on a game, let alone a single ship.

And a million Free XP is not much for a good ship.

[IUN]
[IUN]
Players
82 posts
7,096 battles
2 hours ago, ColonelPete said:

And a million Free XP is not much for a good ship.

it is if it takes 3 years to collect and u have only flag from events and stuff.

So if u look the amount that costs and hours u spend by getting the ship, well u can earn more money by working those 3 years than grinding 1m fxp.

So its cheaper to buy it. (if u are not from 3rd world country ofc)

[CATS]
Players
28,796 posts
15,091 battles
2 minutes ago, scr1337 said:

it is if it takes 3 years to collect and u have only flag from events and stuff.

So if u look the amount that costs and hours u spend by getting the ship, well u can earn more money by working those 3 years than grinding 1m fxp.

So its cheaper to buy it. (if u are not from 3rd world country ofc)

When you need 3 years, you doing something wrong or playing rarely.

Playing is not work. You play the game and gather the ressources as a byproduct. Smart camo and signal selection helps.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[VIBES]
Players
360 posts
17,681 battles
3 hours ago, ColonelPete said:

You play the game and gather the ressources as a byproduct. Smart camo and signal selection helps.

^^This

With special signals and a good camo, you can earn 20k free xp on a decent win.

With a good camo and a Papa Papa signal, right now (+200% first win bonus during the holidays) you can get 2-5k free xp without special signals.

You won't get enough for the Alaska in a week, but 300-400k free xp are doable, if you play a few games every day.

[NA-TO]
Players
115 posts

I am also a new player, played a month so far, really enjoying game, definitely no where near the best player but definitely not the worst, found 600 quid in my wargaming acc on Christmas courtesy of my darling wife, so bought Alaska, Massa and Georgia, spent the rest on Santa crates got a LOAD of ships and most importantly loads of XP flags.

I used flags to grind the 2 million FXP for Smaland, so now I have all of the ships that are getting removed and I still have loads of flags, Doubloons and Coal left, got thousands of camos as well, no way would I have put that sort of money into game but to me it was free.

Put it this way, I ended up with 50 odd ships that include Belfast, Enterprise, Kamikaze, Missouri, Cossack and Benham and quite a few other 'rare' ships. Obviously I also got the Makarov etc lol.

I have 64% win rate in Cossack ATM, really enjoying it. I feel spoilt for choice.

Go for the ship you want with free XP, even if you feel you are too inexperienced, you WILL grow into it and you may NEVER get another opportunity to own it when it is removed.

It is your time and your gameplay.

[RDNT]
Players
89 posts

"(...)Belfast, Enterprise....Missouri(...)" :cap_cool:

If you're not having a laugh you should consider letting your wife picking the powerball numbers......

[NA-TO]
Players
115 posts
1 hour ago, ZeuSueZ1337 said:

"(...)Belfast, Enterprise....Missouri(...)" :cap_cool:

If you're not having a laugh you should consider letting your wife picking the powerball numbers......

Nope not having a laugh.

ships2.thumb.jpg.4c4645a60e70e0045f10c245af9633fa.jpg

ships.jpg

Sorry, can't seem to delete images, the 1st longer view is most of the rare ships I got, I did get others, I actually think I got all rare ships that were available and am missing quite a few of the poorer ships.

Sign in to follow this