You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
IGL

dropping torps directly behind the coast aka BS CV mechanics

39 comments in this topic

[BLSW]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
68 posts
10,839 battles

seriously WG, wtf is this crap with planes being able to drop their torps directly after passing a land mass, from like 200m+ height.

This ridiculous [edited] mechanic needs to go ASAP.  Planes should have to 'skim' the water surface to drop them.

DDs torp cant take 90° turns, BBs shells dont suddenly drop vertically off after the island, so why should CV torps be able to lauch from the beach, being dropped from a height that normally kills these torps on impact.

rant over :cap_rambo:

• Cool 8
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 5

[RO-RN]
Players
901 posts
12,560 battles

But BB with 60% fire chance are fine? with 40 seconds heal cool down fine? bb going over 40 knots fine right? BB not giving a crap about angling is fine as well eh?

DD with 90knots torpedoes fine too? with 55 knots speed fine too eh? having 30mm of he PEN on 100mm guns higher than 180mm on high tier cruisers is again alright ahh? 

Radar lasting almost 1 minute is fine too? Cruiser sitting lower in the water than a destroyer fine as well? 

Always blamming the cv. If these new carriers where to removed all of you will go on a rant on all the mentioned above like in the past days when RTS CV where mostly unplayable next to dead at higher tier.

• Cool 8
  • Funny 3
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 2

[BLSW]
68 posts
10,839 battles

ofc some edited* FDR player has to defend his broken stuff

edit: language please

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 4
  • Bad 4

Players
1,121 posts
12,798 battles

Well, a CV can in fact not drop directly from the beach. Each torpedo, be it from a destroyer, cruiser or CV, has an arming distance. For carriers this typically ranges between 800m-1.5km i think, which is a lot more than nothing. You simply werent all that close to the island if there was space for torpedos to arm. 
Also, the CV player must practice a bit before being able to drop like that, so not any noob can do that

• Cool 5
  • Boring 1

[BLITZ]
Modder
4,968 posts
9,170 battles
19 hours ago, IGL said:

ofc some Edited* FDR player has to defend his broken stuff

When insults are your only counterargument...:cap_old:

HAHA

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 1

[RONIN]
Players
478 posts
4,393 battles
41 minutes ago, IGL said:

seriously WG, wtf is this crap with planes being able to drop their torps directly after passing a land mass, from like 200m+ height.

This ridiculous [edited] mechanic needs to go ASAP.  Planes should have to 'skim' the water surface to drop them.

DDs torp cant take 90° turns, BBs shells dont suddenly drop vertically off after the island, so why should CV torps be able to lauch from the beach, being dropped from a height that normally kills these torps on impact.

Trying to find logic in arcade game

• Funny 1

[BLSW]
68 posts
10,839 battles
13 minutes ago, Isoruku_Yamamoto said:

Well, a CV can in fact not drop directly from the beach. Each torpedo, be it from a destroyer, cruiser or CV, has an arming distance. For carriers this typically ranges between 800m-1.5km i think, which is a lot more than nothing. You simply werent all that close to the island if there was space for torpedos to arm. 
Also, the CV player must practice a bit before being able to drop like that, so not any noob can do that

I think you didnt quite get my point. My main grief is that planes that are coming e.g. from over mountains are just flying way too high for dropping torps.  No torps would survive being smashed into the water like that.

• Cool 2

[CATS]
Players
28,832 posts
15,115 battles
46 minutes ago, IGL said:

You know how it works. Adapt.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1
  • Angry 1

Players
1,121 posts
12,798 battles
4 minutes ago, IGL said:

I think you didnt quite get my point. My main grief is that planes that are coming e.g. from over mountains are just flying way too high for dropping torps.  No torps would survive being smashed into the water like that.

If they are flying over mountains, they will in fact not be able to do this directly. Go ahead and try. 

If there is a wide open beach with a gradual slope on the mountain, then they can

• Cool 1

[THESO]
[THESO]
Players
2,823 posts
25,511 battles
2 hours ago, IGL said:

[...] No torps would survive being smashed into the water like that.

theres ur mistake to discover. gl

[RSC]
Players
231 posts
4,974 battles

I agree with IGL.

One of the many things that need to be fixed and yet are still in the game despite being blatantly obvious.

Burning_USS_Bunker_Hill_CV-17.jpg

#carrierlivesmatter

• Funny 1

[NOWH]
Players
873 posts
6,026 battles

c'mon guys, make OPs dream happen

3 minutes ago, SkollUlfr said:

i suggest a future DD line be given torpedos that follow a curved path.

instead of having a narrow or wide spread, they would curve either forward of aft when launched.

[BLSW]
68 posts
10,839 battles
1 minute ago, mil71 said:

What you want to sit behind an island all game and have no risk gameplay?

are you unwilling or unable to understand the issue?

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[THGZ]
Beta Tester
169 posts
10 minutes ago, IGL said:

are you unwilling or unable to understand the issue?

The issue you are making is that you can't sit behind an island all game without being torpedoed by CV's.

The gameplay is working as intended as this isn't realism and you'll just have to adapt or learn to play differently.

• Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[BLSW]
68 posts
10,839 battles

unable it is. ok

ok let me try to explain it differently. I am annoyed by the fact that a CV can strike me coming from my side thats actually behind 'hard cover'.

I dont mind him going around and attack any other 'unprotected' side.

[THGZ]
Beta Tester
169 posts

CV's can't torpedo you if your hull is touching an island, you're giving the island space which allows it to drop and then arm.

Nothing to see here.

[2DQT]
Players
403 posts
5 hours ago, Isoruku_Yamamoto said:

any closer and you have the risk of running aground.

• Funny 1

[2DQT]
Players
403 posts
1 hour ago, IGL said:

unable it is. ok

ok let me try to explain it differently. I am annoyed by the fact that a CV can strike me coming from my side thats actually behind 'hard cover'.

This is annoying but it is also very statisfying to see island campers trying to lure you into their allies guns being bombed. 

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
14,562 posts
20,724 battles
4 hours ago, Animalul2012 said:

Always blamming the cv. If these new carriers where to removed all of you will go on a rant on all the mentioned above like in the past days when RTS CV where mostly unplayable next to dead at higher tier.

Funny how such complaints were a rarity when RTS CVs were "mostly unplayable next to dead at higher tier", no?

• Cool 3

[PANEU]
Players
1,031 posts
3,661 battles
Vor 58 Minuten, IGL sagte:

unable it is. ok

People that think they are behind a hard cover while chilling 1km next to it is the problem. They are not. They are misplaying by doing that and get their punishment. 

[TOXIC]
Players
4,794 posts
12,260 battles
1 hour ago, IGL said:

unable it is. ok

If you actually sit close enough to the island, you'll be protected (and it doesn't even need to be a tall one, a piece of sand sticking out of the water would suffice as well).

Now, as for your initial argument that the torps shouldn't be droppable from  this high up - I wouldn't rely on that argumentation if I ware you. You're basically disputing game balance based on the "but in real world" claims - and that's an extremely weak argument in this context. Even more so when you're using it in BB vs CV issues as an argument against CVs. I mean, sure, dropping torps from too high up isn't very realistic but are you SURE you'd really want more realism in CV vs BB interaction? If you feel easy to bully now, imagine how much they would be able to bully you if the relative power level and interaction dynamics were better preserved...

• Funny 1