Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Leeto_F_22

Soviet cruiser captain skills

8 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[PASOK]
Players
5 posts
1,272 battles

Hi folks,

 

After a hiatus of 3 years I started playing the game again and I'm now grinding up the Soviet Cruiser line. I've unlocked the Tallinn (trying to get the 7mil to buy it now) and will probably have the Chapayev the next week or so and I was wondering how do you spec the captains on them (I don't have Kuznetsov yet so "stock" captains)? With the Schors I generally enjoy island hopping from the back and setting stuff on fire. Is it worth taking DE and Adrenaline Rush on both lines or do they differentiate somehow?

 

Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,447 posts
16,950 battles
Vor 1 Stunde, Leeto_F_22 sagte:

Is it worth taking DE and Adrenaline Rush on both lines or do they differentiate somehow?

 

Cheers!

They do, the original line up to what is now Alexander Nevsky is more focused on HE, so DE isn't that bad of a choice. Esp if you spec into IFHE to bring the armor penetration value of your HE shells above the 32mm threshold needed to hurt t8-10 battleships bow/stern armor. 

 

The Tallinn to Petro branch is more focused on AP, so DE isn't a very useful pick there. 

 

AR on the other hand works well on pretty much all cruisers. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[PASOK]
Players
5 posts
1,272 battles
1 hour ago, Khaba_Gandalf said:

They do, the original line up to what is now Alexander Nevsky is more focused on HE, so DE isn't that bad of a choice. Esp if you spec into IFHE to bring the armor penetration value of your HE shells above the 32mm threshold needed to hurt t8-10 battleships bow/stern armor. 

 

The Tallinn to Petro branch is more focused on AP, so DE isn't a very useful pick there. 

 

AR on the other hand works well on pretty much all cruisers. 

Thanks! I hadn't thought about specing for IFHE in the light cruiser line. I guess all this might be completely redundant once they roll out the new skills for captains and DE gets nerfed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,447 posts
16,950 battles

Yes, depending on how skills work / what you pay for them / what alternatives you have post rework may change. 

 

But since WG announced that you get a free reset period when it hits the live server, I wouldn't spend too much thought about it right now. 

 

IFHE is something one can argue about on these cruisers for days. On the one hand you already have 30mm pen with t9-10 due to the 180mm gun caliber. So there are definitely situations where you can work around not having 32+ pen vs BB's if you can either reliably hit their superstructure or they give you enough broadside to prevent auto bounce in areas where your pen values are high enough. Like into the upper central armour above the torpedo /citadel belt. On the other hand you may get into situations where you won't get those angles (say you get chased by one o two bbs on your teams weak flank, with them pointing there nose towards you) and at some point the superstructure gets saturated. In that case you either need to get fires or enough HE pen vs their bow armor.

 

Personally I kept it on my t8 152-155 cruisers like Kutuzov, Irian (Pan Asia Kutuzov copy without access to smoke) and Mogami for example. I dropped it on the new Russian t10 cruiser due to the great shell trajectory and the good AP values, but I have to admit that I play that ship very rarely. So I'm not the greatest expert to play this ship. 

 

I attached both the builds for AN and Petro, hope that helps you a bit. 

Petro.png

Alexander Nevsky.png

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[PASOK]
Players
5 posts
1,272 battles
22 minutes ago, Khaba_Gandalf said:

Yes, depending on how skills work / what you pay for them / what alternatives you have post rework may change. 

 

But since WG announced that you get a free reset period when it hits the live server, I wouldn't spend too much thought about it right now. 

 

IFHE is something one can argue about on these cruisers for days. On the one hand you already have 30mm pen with t9-10 due to the 180mm gun caliber. So there are definitely situations where you can work around not having 32+ pen vs BB's if you can either reliably hit their superstructure or they give you enough broadside to prevent auto bounce in areas where your pen values are high enough. Like into the upper central armour above the torpedo /citadel belt. On the other hand you may get into situations where you won't get those angles (say you get chased by one o two bbs on your teams weak flank, with them pointing there nose towards you) and at some point the superstructure gets saturated. In that case you either need to get fires or enough HE pen vs their bow armor.

 

Personally I kept it on my t8 152-155 cruisers like Kutuzov, Irian (Pan Asia Kutuzov copy without access to smoke) and Mogami for example. I dropped it on the new Russian t10 cruiser due to the great shell trajectory and the good AP values, but I have to admit that I play that ship very rarely. So I'm not the greatest expert to play this ship. 

 

I attached both the builds for AN and Petro, hope that helps you a bit. 

Petro.png

Alexander Nevsky.png

Thanks so much for this! Really appreciate it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
10 hours ago, Leeto_F_22 said:

Thanks! I hadn't thought about specing for IFHE in the light cruiser line. I guess all this might be completely redundant once they roll out the new skills for captains and DE gets nerfed. 

Don't bother with IFHE really. Chapayev is the only one that can pull it off decently well, while on Donskoi and Nevsky, you just don't have the dpm to be worth it. If one plays Nevsky, IFHE nukes your fire chance so hard, against BBs it's not an upgrade, it's a sidegrade. Against non-BBs it's straight up a downgrade, because you could pen it anyway (or won't pen even with IFHE, an issue you also encounter with most BBs) and your fire chance is crap now. With Nevsky, it's a better idea to just keep the fire chance and to rely on AP if they broadside you, getting a situational sidegrade for 4 points is just not worth it.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[PASOK]
Players
5 posts
1,272 battles
7 hours ago, HaachamaShipping said:

Don't bother with IFHE really. Chapayev is the only one that can pull it off decently well, while on Donskoi and Nevsky, you just don't have the dpm to be worth it. If one plays Nevsky, IFHE nukes your fire chance so hard, against BBs it's not an upgrade, it's a sidegrade. Against non-BBs it's straight up a downgrade, because you could pen it anyway (or won't pen even with IFHE, an issue you also encounter with most BBs) and your fire chance is crap now. With Nevsky, it's a better idea to just keep the fire chance and to rely on AP if they broadside you, getting a situational sidegrade for 4 points is just not worth it.

Thanks! I had left the game before IFHE came around (around 2017) and I seem to have come back in a time where people think it's useless. I've been grinding the USN heavy, KM & IJN lines as well and in all honesty I'm not sure I find space for it. I guess it's very very very situational. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
2 hours ago, Leeto_F_22 said:

Thanks! I had left the game before IFHE came around (around 2017) and I seem to have come back in a time where people think it's useless. I've been grinding the USN heavy, KM & IJN lines as well and in all honesty I'm not sure I find space for it. I guess it's very very very situational. 

It is useful on ships with low pen, but high dpm. On IJN cruisers for example, the only beneficiary is Mogami, because 155s pen up to 38 mm, so you can pen USN decks too and Mogami dpm is actually good.Mid tier light cruisers also benefit from it, because their base pen is too crap and many have good dp and without the skill they have a hard time against higher tier cruisers. But at high tiers, even the light cruisers get 30 mm base pen, so you can get through most cruisers and those that are off limits are likely off-limits even with IFHE (cases like the 50 mm or 40 mm plate on some cruisers). Cleveland/Seattle/Worcester might benefit from it, but frankly, I don't see the point of going for Worcester over going Des Moines these days.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×