Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor

Client destabilizing?

7 comments in this topic

Players
2,859 posts
21,868 battles

This patch and I think also the previous one already (0.9.8), I'm getting not just weekly client freezes but complete crashes (mid-game, not in port) that can only be resolved by hard-resetting the whole PC.

Some other programs may keep running in these instances, others don't. In any event, the task manager (Windows 7 64 bit) is unable to terminate the WoWs client in these freezes, as well as several other apps. Sometimes I can get to the emergency shutdown screen (or whatever it's called) using Ctrl-Alt-Del, but when selecting a soft reboot there, it never happens. So in the end I have to "pull the plug", so to speak (hold down the reset button a few seconds).

After which, not just ALL the WoWs settings stored on the PC are lost, which take )(&/%)(/%/ forever to reset since they include the )(/%&)&% minimap circles which need to be reset for every (/)&$%(& ship INDIVIDUALLY.

No - even the settings of OTHER programs are lost, like for instance specifically Freecell (an old Windows solitaire style game).

I find that remarkable, and remarkably annoying. Been even running diagnostics on the drives, to no avail, because I thought the SSD might be dying. Which it doesn't seem to be.

Anyone else have that?

• Cool 2

Players
3,405 posts
20,516 battles
5 minutes ago, FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor said:

This patch and I think also the previous one already (0.9.8), I'm getting not just weekly client freezes but complete crashes that can only be resolved by hard-resetting the whole PC.

Some other programs may keep running in these instances, others don't. In any event, the task manager (Windows 7 64 bit) is unable to terminate the WoWs client in these freezes, as well as several other apps. Sometimes I can get to the emergency shutdown screen (or whatever it's called) using Ctrl-Alt-Del, but when selecting a soft reboot there, it never happens. So in the end I have to "pull the plug", so to speak (hold down the reset button a few seconds).

After which, not just ALL the WoWs settings stored on the PC are lost, which take )(&/%)(/%/ forever to reset since they include the )(/%&)&% minimap circles which need to be reset for every (/)&$%(& ship INDIVIDUALLY.

No - even the settings of OTHER programs are lost, like for instance specifically Freecell (an old Windows solitaire style game).

I find that remarkable, and remarkably annoying. Been even running diagnostics on the drives, to no avail, because I thought the SSD might be dying. Which it doesn't seem to be.

Anyone else have that?

I don't have to pull the plug much, but when it does it is usually a heating problem, either grafics card or chip.

• Cool 1

[WRV]
Players
113 posts
498 battles

There are so many threads about technical problems, but what amazes me more is the (almost) complete lack of technical specs of the affected PCs.

It's late 2020, 30...40years into PC-gaming and its trouble shouting, tipps and tricks and stuff - but there's one forum where the only information is "game kaputt!" :cap_like:

Spoiler

In every other forum regarding pc gaming: 

[my issue:]

xxxxx

[my system:]

xxx

yyy

zzz

Players
2,859 posts
21,868 battles

I used to have a graphics overheating issue but fixed it by installing a fan. The card is actually meant for passive cooling but that big heat sink turned out insufficient for WoWs on its own.

Fan is running continuously and not even the furmark can drive the temp into crashing regions these days... and also I would then expect this to happen every session, at more or less the same time, just as it did back then in the before-fan days.

Players
676 posts
2,027 battles

Presume you are aware that Windows 7 was eol in January this year?

Your problem with settings being reset on cold boot sounds like a write-caching issue with HDD/SSD.

[BFS]
Beta Tester
2,066 posts
13,987 battles
53 minutes ago, Adm_Andre said:

There are so many threads about technical problems, but what amazes me more is the (almost) complete lack of technical specs of the affected PCs.

I used to be part of a tech support team for the RTR and Roma Surrectum mods for Rome: Total War and this has been the case all along.   We came up with a list of questions to be supplied with game crashes (e.g. OS, Graphic Card spec, PC spec and Save Game).  Even then some people did not supply that or any details but still expected us to resolve the issues.

• Cool 1

Players
2,859 posts
21,868 battles

Also does anybody know why the Double Strike sound effect keeps "going bad"?

It used to be a distorted mess for a few patches maybe a year ago, and I suspected it was just my local copy of the sound file in question, feared SSD corruption even back then, and I wasn't using the WGC back then (and don't even know if it even had the "check and repair" function back then, which seems to simply re-download any corrupted files it detects these days and is a really good addition.) But then, I seem to recall, some streamer or youtube video also had the distorted mess.

And now it's been broken AGAIN for a few weeks, but with a fairly recent complete re-install.

And I don't hear it very often and can certainly not trigger it on demand, so even if I do a check and repair now, I couldn't say if it fixed that specific sound. But I find it odd that it is always just the double strike sound and never any other "user interface" effects.

It's almost as if they had a corrupted copy at WG and it somehow kept accidentally being slipped into the new patches for some reason.

Sign in to follow this