You need to play a total of 1 battles to post in this section.
The_EURL_Guy

Naval History in Photos: Battle of Leyte Gulf

15 comments in this topic

Players
933 posts
1 minute ago, HansRoaming said:

Thanks for posting these up, the suicide run by the plane is haunting.

When I first saw it, I thought it was coming in to land on the carrier's deck; then I noticed the red circles on the wings. That was quite a jolt of realisation...

• Cool 2

Players
933 posts
13 minutes ago, ElScorpion said:

ΜMissuri in foto have 4 turrets - 12 guns 

WG historical accuracy ?? 

That's because it's the USS Mississippi.

Aerial view of the USS Mississippi (BB-41) at sea. The “Ole Miss,” as she is known, played a major part in seven Pacific campaigns. She also helped repel the southern Japanese force in the Surigao Straits during the Battle of Leyte Gulf.

Players
317 posts
17,522 battles

After I started playing wows I started read about battleships and South Caroliona ,Wyoming,New York/Texas,New Mexico,Colorado had 2x2 torpedos !!! , so why ships in game dont have it !?

WG Staff
1,871 posts
877 battles
On 10/17/2020 at 4:53 PM, Maris_Piper said:

Thank You WG very poignant images indeed.

You are welcome, Captain. Some of these pictures are really impressive, I am keeping going back at the article to capture more details from them. (As you probably know, if you want, you can check the U.S. Naval Institute website for more.)

Players
582 posts
3,787 battles

That's a very striking image of the Japanese aircraft making a suicide attack into the deck of the U.S. carrier. I watched an interview with some Japanese war vets and they disagreed with the western opinion of the Kamikaze attacks being pointless acts of suicides by brain washed fanatics. It was an interesting insight and their view on it actually made sense. To the Japanese, it was logically the more effective and sensible way to use these aircraft and pilots at the time.

Don't forget, at this stage of the war the U.S. had made big steps in fighter advancements and pilot training, flight formations, techniques etc, The U.S. now also understood the Japanese aircraft from captured examples plus with so few upgrades coming the Japanese fighters started lagging behind and the Zero's went from being ferociously formidable opponents with well trained pilots at the start of the war to being somewhat obsolete, inferior and of course most all the experienced and effective Japanese pilots were dead, replaced with undertrained noob kids rushed into the sky and so, to the Japanese, it logically made more sense to use these aircraft and noob pilots as an actual weapon instead whereby they would have a genuinely better chance to inflict serious harm and losses to enemy targets instead of just aimlessly and pointlessly trying to win dogfights against superior U.S. aircraft, numbers and pilots so... ya, it kinda made a lot of sense when they put it that way.

They still had lots of Zero's sitting around, they were not going to surrender under the terms of unconditional surrender that were offered which obviously left no margin for some sort of negotiations of any kind and so if they were all going to keep on fighting to the last man, be it soldier, pilot, sailor and civilian... then ya, we can actually see how Kamikaze tactics were the most viable choice for noob pilots with obsolete aircraft to be on some level an effective weapon rather than just being shot down and killed either way. 

Players
317 posts
17,522 battles
5 hours ago, R3ap3rGr1m said:

Probably because you can’t read. The torpedo tubes were removed during the refit in the 20’s.

Your logic made me weak ... so what , they removed them ? ,are we going with period ? , why South Carolina is in game then ? , ship was scraped in 1924 ! ...  if I cant read  , so what can you do ? , probbably my post will get deleted , because will be viewed as personal attack , but in my defence I hold myself from going full savage mode , literally I have lost faith in existace of inteligent life for the moment there , after reading your post...

[_OST_]
Moderator, Players, WoWs Wiki Team, Freibeuter
3,569 posts
14,914 battles

Removed 1 post due to insults.