Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.

9 comments in this topic

Players
39 posts
3,583 battles

Aquila ("Eagle") was an italien carrier based on the a cruise ship named S/S Roma and was close to completion at the italien armistice in 1943. 

Sadly, the conversion was never compleated and the ship was scrapped in 1952.

It wasn't for a lack of interest however, while the Luftwaffe proved carriers would be vulnable in the mediterranean by damageing HMS Illustrious (iLLustrious). 

The Battle of Cape Matapan could potentially have spared the loss of 3 heavy cruisers, if they had better air cover.

CV Aquila LaSpezia Jun51 NAN5-63.jpg

The conversion of Roma required a lot of efford. The ship was entirely gutted, new machinery was taken from cancled light cruisers and the installation of anything from torpedo protection to flight deck was needed.

With a list that long, it's amazing the ship was almost finished in about 2 years. The Carrier also carried over a lot of features from Graf Zeppelin, even getting part from Zeppelins' uncompleated sister such as catapults.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_aircraft_carrier_Aquila#Hull

Aquilas' Advantages

- 29.5kn top speed with great power/weight ratio

- Fast aircraft

- Solid  air defence

- Enough armour to sheer off DD guns, light enough to move and tricky enough to protect against flooding.

Surviveability

The armour is a mitchmatch, not on british levels of armour but better than nothing and with a few twists to it in the layout.

Deck:        76mm over vitals such as bunker fuel & magazins

Belt:          60-80mm + flood compartments   

Auxiliaries & citadel (fuel tanks, machines): 30-80mm

Artillery

The ship sports the usual Anti-surface armerment.

8x1     - 135mm L/45  

Sadly, the 65mm are not heavy enough to count as artillery (though it isn't writen anywhere on the game wiki)

Aircrafts

The vessel is noted to be able to carry 51 planes... this means NOTHING after the update which we DO NOT speak

Reggiane Re.2001 OR Serie II for fighters and Torp. bombers @ 290kn top speed.

If flight speed was simple to calculate it would be 240kn tops while carrying a 600kg torpedo, which is still pretty fast.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reggiane_Re.2001#Variants

Fiat G.50 Bis/A these are the bomber and attack aircraft at 250kn top speed. 

If flight speed was simple to calculate it would be 205kn tops while carrying 500kg bombs or rockets, which is still fast.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_G.50#Variants

AA Guns

While solid, all 3 gun types have a note to them.

20mm Breda would be better of as the 20mm Scottie, The 65mm are prototypes with low rate of fire, the 135mm are not designed as DP guns.

22x6          -20mm Breda M35          - SR  461dps @ 2.5km

12x1          -65mm L/54  M39           - MR 123dps  @ 4   km

8x1           - 135mm L/45 OTO M37 - LR  47 dps  @ 5.8km w. 1 FlaK cloud

A devestating short range defence worth a ratio of about 48-55 points, this is stacked with fast fighter planes at 290kn easily catching up within the 3km radius.

Maneuverability

The reported top speed is 29.5kn fully loaded which leaves the ship somewhat fast. The ship also sports a powerful propulsion system divided on 4 propellers at 151kHP and one of the best power to weight ratio for CVs (acceleration)

Conclusion

This CV stands out from most others as it has a lot of speed on it's side but may struggles to deal a blow on the offense or suffer from weak planes

This would be a nice premium ship as Italy only has one "official" CV doing ww2. (Germany officialy has many minor projects & conversions)

With these speed advantages & tricky armour layout the ship would suit Tier VI with the occational Tier VIII battle perhaps

• Cool 5

[IRON7]
Players
698 posts
11,016 battles

I'm sure, Necro von Cortex, we will eventually see the Aquila as a premium CV. The same should be said for the Fre CV Bearn.

Unfortunately, for WG, my wallet will remain closed for this CV as I am totally against the farce CV rework (I prefer the RTS CVs & wish they would return).

• Cool 2

Players
39 posts
3,583 battles
1 hour ago, Aethervoxx said:

I'm sure, Necro von Cortex, we will eventually see the Aquila as a premium CV. The same should be said for the Fre CV Bearn.

Unfortunately, for WG, my wallet will remain closed for this CV as I am totally against the farce CV rework (I prefer the RTS CVs & wish they would return).

we do NOT talk about the CV rework!

but yeah I won't buy premium CVs either as things are... 

Players
2,147 posts
16,419 battles

I think they should totally release it. I propose instead of torps it has SAP bombs and rockets and the ability to airdrop hydro buoys. Knowing WG they already have this planned and think it’s balanced.

• Funny 1

[XTREM]
Players
1,954 posts
14,661 battles

76mm is way too much for deck armour for t6(I'm assuming you mean flight deck) and would have to be drastically toned down for the game in this regard. 

Even at t8, there is no CV with anywhere near as good deck armour. Only the brits have just a strip of thicker armour on the flight deck which can shatter SOME large calibre shells, and that's it. 

The planes are also ridiculously fast and will need adjusting if those ones are implemented. 

• Cool 1

Players
7,441 posts
245 battles
42 minutes ago, Miragetank90 said:

76mm is way too much for deck armour for t6(I'm assuming you mean flight deck) and would have to be drastically toned down for the game in this regard. 

Even at t8, there is no CV with anywhere near as good deck armour. Only the brits have just a strip of thicker armour on the flight deck which can shatter SOME large calibre shells, and that's it. 

The planes are also ridiculously fast and will need adjusting if those ones are implemented. 

Eh, just gib dem sap bombs and make dem very squishy planus and top tier balans.

Maybe the deck armour is just a piece of it like implacable for example, she looks more like a tier 8 than tier 9 too be honest, should go there maybe.

[RMI]
Players
23 posts
3,471 battles

Can't wait to finally being able to use CV and BB from my own nation... it's a dream finally come true since the Beta!!  :cap_win:

• Cool 1

Players
39 posts
3,583 battles
On 10/15/2020 at 6:22 PM, Miragetank90 said:

More indepth study suggested the 76mm flight deck is only over vitals such as tanks and magazins. 

The CV was based partly on british carriers with experience from Graf Zeppelin and even parts from her sister ship. The CV also had an unsafe arrest gear. The italiens even made a copy of the flight deck ashore to test out various systems.

The mentioned speeds are the informed top speeds for the planes in general, not for the specific CV variants in question and without compensation for payload. My best guesses have been added to the article however they are based on the top speed, not cruising speed.

From here on it would be up to the developers to decide how OP or UP the planes themselves would be, speed isn't everything, but it's a thing the italiens would not lack. 

Sign in to follow this