You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Communist_Loli

WoT vs WoWs grind

51 comments in this topic

Players
205 posts
3,202 battles

I know this is not the place to talk about WoT, but since I don't have 250 battles to post the topic on their Forum I don't know where else to post this. So I guess I'm looking for answers from WoWs players who've played WoT before.

I'm thinking of trying out WoT, but before I do I want to know how grindy it is when compared to WoWs. What's the average amount of battles does it take to reach tier 10 with premium? Are there similar resource boosts available like in WoWs in the way of flags and camo's? How's the game in 2020? 

• Cool 1

Players
7,478 posts
245 battles

For me it took about 4-6k games before i reached my first tier 10 the 121 although i was going up many lines at the time. The grind is far less forgiving there than it is here, because the amount of stuff you have to research (such as pointless guns, that are worse or aren't needed, or modules that aren't really upgrades essentially). Not too mention equipment and the need for Gold ammo (you can play it without, but it will be a lot harder to do so).

Plus HE doesn't work like it does here fires are rare and HE is basically caliber against armour section along with penetration of the HE shell inquestion determines how well it does (so KV-2 will smash smoll chaffee apart, but won't do nearly as much against the front of a T95). 

Also some lines take longer than others as well, camos are a thing. You can get boosts, but i don't know how reliable they are. Also the game is more skill independent than warships even with the 25% for accuracy, damage, penetration etc as you need to know the layout of most vehicles and their weakspots (usually tier 4+ as tier 1-3 are quite samey).

I got the E100 in around 500-1000 games as well. I would say the game is more frustrating than ships, as at least if your bottom tier you can damage hear, not always the case over there and some tanks you will hate (D.W.2, comes to mind lol).

*pats smoll loli*

• Cool 3

Weekend Tester
1,123 posts
8,731 battles

Just for you im going to go to place where no man has gone in years. Just because you asked so nicely :fish_cute_2:

Here you go: https://worldoftanks.eu/en/community/accounts/501686391-Srle_Vigilante/?utm_source=global-nav&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=wot-portal

Im going to be talking from this point of reference. Another side note i last played that game consistently back in 2016/2017. Some info might be outdated.

Its hard to make anything about WoT without putting my angry subjective opinion about it. But im going to try. Especially since you are just playing it for the first time, most of my frustrations probly wont affect you since you weren't there since 2011.

Right so, lets get started with the topic on hand. The Grind. World of Tanks is a way more grindy game the WoWs. Especially in the credit department. Playing with a premium account will be a huge time saver, but its still going to be grindy.

Battles take way less time on average compared to wows. So if you like tabbing out at the start of the game, making a coffee and finding some music to listen to for the next 20 minutes, you wont be able to do that in WoT. :Smile_Default:

Since the battles take less time on average, and because of a different economy there is much much less xp and credit yield.

1 problem i fund with WoT is the lack of xp boosting. Since in WoWs you have all these flags and camos at your disposal that allow you to boost through a ship you don't like in 4 -6 battles (depending on the tier ofc, but counting 10 - 20k xp with ALL the flags), in WoT you are stuck with a tank you don't like for upward of a 30 battles or so (again depending on the tier)

Going back to my account I do not exactly remember when i got my E-100 (first TX) but around 12-14k ish battles i unlocked the entire German tech tree. That took me about 3 - 4 years to complete. People who play on the forums about WoWs being grindy have obviously never played WoT nor W** T******. But the latter is a whole other can of worms which i cant be bothered to talk about.

All of that being said, WoT always had a major flaw in its gameplay... which is premium ammo. I wont get into this...other then saying this. If you play a Well armoured tank and you want to tank in it, but the enemy players don't... well you wont tank :Smile_veryhappy:

I probably missed a few things here and there, but if i did and something and clear just quote me or something. Ill come back and do my best to answer.

Hope this want too subjective :Smile_veryhappy: Hope it also helped you a bit. 

• Cool 5

Players
205 posts
3,202 battles

Thanks for the replies bois! 

Judging by what you guys are saying, it seems like I'm entering sharks territory over here.

I've had my eyes on the game for several years now but never actually got myself into it yet due to rumors of pay to win and endless grind. I have to admit that the only reason why I'm looking into it now is cus of some random youtube recommendation showing off my favorite looking tank (E75). :fish_cute_2:

• Cool 3

[TTT]
1,625 posts
14,901 battles

So I play both games pretty actively.

While WoT's grind is much much worse, I do think it is a superior game to WoWs. The fact that terrain elevation and active concealment (bushes, cover etc.) actually play a role in the way games play out makes it much more interesting. However everything around that better core is worse than in WoWs.

The way I always describe it is WoT is a better core game but WoWs has a better team behind it and the game design choices that were made are much less annoying. 

So I play WoT when I want a real challenge and I play WoWs when I just want to relax and farm some easy dmg while listening to a podcast or whatever.

To qualify where I am coming from, I am a 54-55% WR player in WoT so it's not a challenge just because I suck.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

Players
7,478 posts
245 battles
Just now, Communist_Loli said:

Judging by what you guys are saying, it seems like I'm entering sharks territory over here.

I've had my eyes on the game for several years now but never actually got myself into it yet due to rumors of pay to win and endless grind. I have to admit that the only reason why I'm looking into it now is cus of some random youtube recommendation showing off my favorite looking tank (E75). :fish_cute_2:

Yeah the E75 or unofficially as i call it the tiger 3 is a very solid tank, but im not sure as of now with all the new bloody auto-reloaders and various other tanks that have been added in, she might still be very good as she was when i played her and her punchy 128mm, i know the E100 or as i call it the Tiger-Maus/Emperor Tiger with its fat 150mm gun also got armour buffs as well.

Not sure about the pay 2 win, but i've notice some premiums are very good compared to their counterparts and the new tier 8 italian heavy if it doesn't get nerfed will probs be closest to that definition for the game itself (basically a better defender). Gold ammo spam is a real thing as well, also you can get enhanced equipment for bonds which i think you can buy for moneh.

So take the american artillery plotting mod that increases accuracy by 11 and then have another module that does that but increases it to 15%-18%. Although i've heard they have changed some stuff for those equipment pieces so im not sure what the new ones do now (except for the turbocharger which thankfully only scales to how slow the vehicle is otherwise you will have EBRS doing almost 200kph lol).

Ahh and you have the lil buggies as well which everyone hates, not too mention the sound design is even worse there than it is here. Map positioning also more vital as well, since you will be stationary a lot and fight on chokepoints which broken through will usually cause a snowball effect unless your team and/or the enemy (and they will) f it up as well.

I miss my amx 50 100 doe, gud tankfu.

Players
1,313 posts
19,716 battles

I've played WOT for couple of years (raked up some 25k battles) before switching to WOWS in 2017. I could give you comparison of major differences (bare in mind my experience with WOT ended in 2017. dunno if anything changed in the meantime)

Grind:

WOT - heavy grind, less rewarding, a real struggle to earn xp, credits, premium. I was losing credits even with premium time on high tiers

WOWS - much more rewarding grind, after 3 years of playing I'm swimming in flags, camos, prem time, etc..

Premiums:

WOT - stingy on giving up premium tanks, I had like maybe 5 or 6 of them, bought most of them, only couple very low tier reward tanks

WOWS - generous on premium ships, I got 30+ premium ships and most of them were reward or dropped in xmas crates for cheap

MM:

WOT - bottom tier in a match? good luck doing any impact on the game, other than that it's pretty much the same: +/-2 and a lot of noobs

WOWS - you can actually do something as a tier 6 in a tier 8 match even tho I've seen a lot of complaints on forums and reddit it's not nearly as bad as in WOT

Bottom line, WOT is a pay to win grind fest. Good luck progressing without premium time and/or premium ammunition. I don't suggest it, it's not worth it. Maybe it got better since last time I played, but I honestly doubt it.

• Cool 1

[PANEU]
Beta Tester
1,973 posts
13,224 battles

Also for me personally arties are way worse than carriers, now even more so after the rework cause they can break everything on your tank and stun you in every 20-25 seconds. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Players
668 posts
2,023 battles

WoT can be fun, for certain definitions of fun.

But, in addition to what's above there are also wheeled vehicles.

Fast, sneaky, virtually bullet proof wheeled vehicles.

Imagine if Warships had gas turbine powered torpedo boats which did 80knots and could bounce Yamato AP........

But it also has TOG, TOG is great......:cap_cool:

• Cool 2

Players
7,478 posts
245 battles
3 minutes ago, Molly_Delaney said:

Imagine if Warships had gas turbine powered torpedo boats which did 80knots and could bounce Yamato AP........

Wee have those in AW as well, except they can fire really rapid autocannons, miniguns or zip around like little gokarts on wheels or tracks and fire missiles which do like 600-1,2k damage depending on where they hit and tier.

Equivalent for the gun based ones would be to have a few autocannons at around 20-50mms and them flying around at 100knots lol, while being really smoll.

[SH33P]
Beta Tester
283 posts
6,940 battles
7 minutes ago, Molly_Delaney said:

To be fair, wheeled vehicles aren't even half as broken as CVs are. So if you can tolerate those, wheeleds will be fine.

The spotting system in WoT is incredibly more complex than in WoWs. Furthermore it's a lot faster than WoWs, usually more salt & even more discrepancy between overpowered and underpowered vehicles. 

• Cool 1

[SONLY]
Beta Tester
68 posts
8,391 battles

Its an interesting comparison. 

I still play both games pretty much every week for a few games at least. As mentioned here before, WOT is certainly more grindy, but also has more depth to its gameplay then WOWS. WOWS I really like for the slow relaxed paced action. And WOT is really good if you want to get some action in where you actually have to focus. :cap_look:There's a lot to get into if you really want to understand whats going on in terms of camouflage mechanics, how and where to actually damage your opponents, map knowledge, crews skills and more. Its takes quite long to get to grips with all this and this also directly influences your xp and credit gain as your performance will slowly improve over time.

The XP grind in WOT has actually been made a lot easier these days though, if you have premium you can boost victories 5 times a day for a 3X boost. The real grind is in the credits gain, you really need to get some premium tanks for that, preferably at tier VIII as those make the quickest buck. Premium does give you a bonus here as well though as you get a weekly payout based on how many credits you have earned in the week before.

The E-75 is still a great tank and I have to agree, great looking as well. :cap_like:And recently buffed, so a great time to get into it. Speaking of grinds though, one thing about WOT is that a lot of modules are shared between the different lines for a nation, so the first line you go into is the hardest as you won't have any shared modules. And the Tiger is one of the worst grinds in my memory of playing WOT for a long time. But then, it also was one of my first, so that could have a big impact too.

In the end for me both games are still great and very enjoyable (apart from the occasional frustration, but this stems mostly from our own physiological state I think, knowing when to take breaks is key :cap_book:). They offer a very different experience from eachother. 

• Cool 1

[SONLY]
Beta Tester
68 posts
8,391 battles
46 minutes ago, Zieten said:

To be fair, wheeled vehicles aren't even half as broken as CVs are. So if you can tolerate those, wheeleds will be fine.

I find this to be very situational. Depending on the vehicle / ship you are in and its capability to fight off the EBR or CV combined with the map in the case of WOT. 

Some games with multiple EBR's and three SPG's can turn into one big toxic fest of frustration. But luckily those do not happen that often in my experience although they do seem more frequent at tier X. 

• Cool 1

[CRU_]
Players
367 posts
9,709 battles

WOWs is a bad game WOTs is worse, there endith the story. The mechanics may be different, but the skeleton is the same, WOTs is a longer grind, try out something else in my opinion, of WOWs frustrates you WOTs will send you to the asylum.

• Funny 1

[SH33P]
Beta Tester
283 posts
6,940 battles
29 minutes ago, ArnieDude said:

I find this to be very situational. Depending on the vehicle / ship you are in and its capability to fight off the EBR or CV combined with the map in the case of WOT. 

Some games with multiple EBR's and three SPG's can turn into one big toxic fest of frustration. But luckily those do not happen that often in my experience although they do seem more frequent at tier X. 

Well, games with multiple CVs aren't exactly fun either :Smile_teethhappy:

I know they fkd up the EBRs, but a CV is even more forgiving concerning mistakes and has potentially even more impact on the outcome of a game.

• Cool 1

[CAIN]
Players
4,832 posts
20,111 battles
6 hours ago, Communist_Loli said:

I know this is not the place to talk about WoT, but since I don't have 250 battles to post the topic on their Forum I don't know where else to post this. So I guess I'm looking for answers from WoWs players who've played WoT before.

I'm thinking of trying out WoT, but before I do I want to know how grindy it is when compared to WoWs. What's the average amount of battles does it take to reach tier 10 with premium? Are there similar resource boosts available like in WoWs in the way of flags and camo's? How's the game in 2020? 

In my experience,  WoT is far more grindy than WoWS.

Especially sonce most of the stock tanks are horrible.

And while you could focus on gun upgrades *which in most cases lead to the next tank,* you won't be able to mount them because you need the turret, which requires several thousand xp itself...which you can't mount because you need the tracks first to be able to mount it.

The grind over there is, what the grind here should be.

Credits will be an issue all the way, so getting a good premium tank is almost mandatory. 

XP and credit boosters can be obtained as rewards for missions, or sometimes in the premium store, and can be a massive help grinding through one specific tsnk or module or simply to get credits.

Now, unlike WoWS, WoT require you to fire premium ammo on occasion,  because you either play a heavy and you can't pen the enemy heavy frontally, or you hsve the stock gun which can't pen anything, or you've been uptiered  have the stock gun...

So yeah, 1/5 of your ammo loadout should be premium ammo. Don't fling it at everything,  as it will drain your credits fast.

And unlike WoWS, were rhe economy is very forgiving   WoT is not, as you can actually LOSE money in certsin premium tanks even with boosters active if all you do is fling premium ammo. 

Premium consumables are also a good way to lise credits in standard tanks, as the price per pop is 20k, which means 60k loss per game guaranteed, without the price for battle damage and ammo.

Depending on your performance and how many boosters you aquire, it may or may not be a good idea to throw your credit card at the screen...not for Gold  but for credits.

I've unlocked my 3rd or 4th tier X tank, and i simply can't afford to buy them (have the LT 100 tho), as i'm grinding so many lines at once.

One thing to add, Frontlines - a temporary game mode - was a vwry good way to grind credits, made almost 10 million credits profit in one week with boosters.

Edit: the Top of the tree events, are also a very good way to grind one specific line, as you get missions which give XP rewards (x5) for each tank of the line and can buy tott boosters in rhe store for few bucks.

• Cool 2

Players
140 posts
9,442 battles
5 minutes ago, Jethro_Grey said:

In my experience,  WoT is far more grindy than WoWS.

Especially sonce most of the stock tanks are horrible.

I can second that. Gold ammo was the reason for me to switch. If you get frustrated in WOW, then I would advise against WOT

• Cool 1

Players
3,403 posts
20,516 battles

I traded WOT after 2-3 years of fun for WOWS around the time gold ammo and all kinds of other sinks were thrown in the game, like crew rations and other convoluted BS. The game was fun, gold ammo made its way in making it way too unpredictable, and then it decided it had to be made great for low attention span run and gunners and addiction defecit looters. The grind is worse, convolution is at it's peak, it's basically another WG shooter gone looter.

• Cool 4

[-G0M-]
Beta Tester
297 posts
12,676 battles
4 hours ago, Communist_Loli said:

Oh good god yes, the grind is horrendous, it's not the tank XP but the cost of equipment (think modules) plus the tank. Tier10 tanks are 6.2 million creds if not purchased when they are "top of the tree" and then you'll need 1.8million creds to equip it, not mentioning the cost of the ammo and repair/med kits every game. If you think you'll make on average 50k creds per game profit, if you have a bad game then you're stuffed and will lose creds, you need hundreds of games to just get one tier10.

As someone also mentioned the "premium ammo" spam is mental, take out a tank with armour and watch the enemy press the "2" key and ignore the armour you have. If you add the fact that the maps are too small now (a certain tank can hit 90kph) now and the largest random match maps are 1km square then it is a joke. 

As if to try and put a nail in to the coffin of the game, the WOT devs are also considering changing the Xmas loot boxes to the "russian reroll" footlockers we just had in the Waffle event, then most of the folks I know will finally be off, the Xmas loot boxes always felt like value for money (even if you didn't "win" the special tank), but the recent "russian reroll" footlockers were a pure out and out scam, appalling behaviour really, but not unexpected these days.

TB.

• Cool 2

[I-J-N]
Players
5,763 posts
28 minutes ago, T3ddyBear said:

Oh good god yes, the grind is horrendous, it's not the tank XP but the cost of equipment (think modules) plus the tank. Tier10 tanks are 6.2 million creds if not purchased when they are "top of the tree" and then you'll need 1.8million creds to equip it, not mentioning the cost of the ammo and repair/med kits every game. If you think you'll make on average 50k creds per game profit, if you have a bad game then you're stuffed and will lose creds, you need hundreds of games to just get one tier10.

As someone also mentioned the "premium ammo" spam is mental, take out a tank with armour and watch the enemy press the "2" key and ignore the armour you have. If you add the fact that the maps are too small now (a certain tank can hit 90kph) now and the largest random match maps are 1km square then it is a joke. 

As if to try and put a nail in to the coffin of the game, the WOT devs are also considering changing the Xmas loot boxes to the "russian reroll" footlockers we just had in the Waffle event, then most of the folks I know will finally be off, the Xmas loot boxes always felt like value for money (even if you didn't "win" the special tank), but the recent "russian reroll" footlockers were a pure out and out scam, appalling behaviour really, but not unexpected these days.

TB.

Incredibly though, on the WoT forum you get frequent statements like 'the EBR's are not a problem', and 'the game's never been as good as now'.... all I can wish for that the the so-called WoT devs never get anywhere close to WoWS....

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
6,425 posts
14,944 battles
8 hours ago, Communist_Loli said:

I'm thinking of trying out WoT, but before I do I want to know how grindy it is when compared to WoWs.

I play both, although I fairly recently took effectively a couple of years off WOT; I have twenty-something K battles, although the bulk are on the NA server. My NA account shows an overal WR similar to WOWS i.e. sub-average, but my EU one firmly red at the moment (mainly because I'm horribly rusty).

WOT is *much* more grindy than WOWS: with the right flags/cammo, you can push a line of ships to T10 in around a week (plus/minus), which is entirely unrealistic in WOT. WOT's economy is a lot harsher than WOWS too, which slows things down drastically as well (especially if you make extensive use of the - despised by many - 'gold' ammo).

The effective removal of 'universal' premium time (except for actual money through the shop) makes hopping between the two titles a rather less attractive proposition these days too.

That said, WOT is still a pretty decent game, and some aspects are arguably more involved/interesting/varied than in WOWS (mostly to do with vision and concealment). That said, I'm mainly playing it for occasional giggles at the moment; I currently much prefer WOWS, and that is my main focus as a consequence...

• Cool 2

[I-J-N]
Players
5,763 posts
3 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

I play both, although I fairly recently took effectively a couple of years off WOT; I have twenty-something K battles, although the bulk are on the NA server. My NA account shows an overal WR similar to WOWS i.e. sub-average, but my EU one firmly red at the moment (mainly because I'm horribly rusty).

WOT is *much* more grindy than WOWS: with the right flags/cammo, you can push a line of ships to T10 in around a week (plus/minus), which is entirely unrealistic in WOT. WOT's economy is a lot harsher than WOWS too, which slows things down drastically as well (especially if you make extensive use of the - despised by many - 'gold' ammo).

The effective removal of 'universal' premium time (except for actual money through the shop) makes hopping between the two titles a rather less attractive proposition these days too.

That said, WOT is still a pretty decent game, and some aspects are arguably more involved/interesting/varied than in WOWS (mostly to do with vision and concealment). That said, I'm mainly playing it for occasional giggles at the moment; I currently much prefer WOWS, and that is my main focus as a consequence...

Good analysis.. for me however trying out WoT these days feels like I'm inclined to get a proper fit like ... in a well known video on the Internet. However, the fish are not really helpful in giving you a push...:fish_haloween:

• Cool 1