sk1rge

Disconnects on WiFi

2 comments in this topic

Question

Players
5 posts
860 battles

Hi guys,

I tried to play WoWS via WiFi, but most of the time it is unplayable. Sometimes when I start a battle, my WiFi even breaks, and I have to software-switch it off and on to get reconnected to my router. When it works fine, I have a ping (WoWS client display) of about 34 ms. Sometimes it goes up to 3000. Not to mention I do not download, p2p, I do not have any antivirus running, and everything is up to date. With most other online games I do not experience problems, but e.g. with WoT and World War Z.

When my connection is idle, an isp speed test results in 80 MBit/s download speed, and 7 ms ping to my access point.

Is anyone else experiencing this, or maybe even has an idea how to fix that (apart from "use a cable")?

Thanks and best regards

sk1rge

1 answer to this question

Players
662 posts
2,022 battles

WiFi is not suitable for gaming.

There is no guarantee in the WiFi spec for continous low latency connection. In fact, WiFi is not a continous connection.

Once your connection has timed-out it has to find and re-negotiate the connection (this is why you get ping peaks)

WiFi is fine for web browsing, video streaming (it can buffer) and email but is not suitable for gaming, just run a cable.

At most you could set the time-out on your WiFi to a suitably long period and refresh your connection before playing. But there's no guarantee that some other device won't cause your connection to drop. Even a neighbour can cause your WiFi to drop & renegotiate the connection.

Even one of these mains extender plugs is better for gaming.

Ever since my first networks (coaxial running at 10Mbps) getting a network to run fast & reliably has been a black-art........

Sign in to follow this