You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
_Flyto_

Back after years: What's different?

39 comments in this topic

[HEATH]
Players
618 posts
6,187 battles

I played WOWs from near the beginning until... I think late 2017 or early 2018. The British battleships were a fairly new thing.

I'm giving it another look now. To my surprise, I can still nearly aim straight.

So I'm wondering... what has changed that isn't obvious? What do I need to know about? Obviously there are lots of new ship types to get familiar with and learn the weaknesses of. It looks like focusing planes for AA has changed. What else should I be aware of?

Thanks.

• Cool 1

Players
2,147 posts
16,419 battles

Lots of things happened... probably the most major change was the CV reeeework that removed RTS and dumbed them down sufficiently for WG to peddle lootboxes to console players.

DD's can't take full pens anymore with the exception of Khaba (lul). I mean, you'll still score full pens on them with AP, but they will count as overpens damage wise. If you know you'll be shooting your next salvo at a DD and you're in a BB or AP focused cruiser, load HE.

USN cruisers got a light cruiser split, Cleveland was moved to that alternate line and is now at t8 with radar. Didn't take long for these to get a bit powercrept, though.

If you're remembering Khaba as actually being good, it's basically so power crept now nobody plays it anymore (Kleber, the new t10 french DD says "hi", but playing without smoke and AA isn't a fun experience these days).

French BB's came out, you get speed boost and main battery reload booster on some. Most are pretty fun. They finished the alternate IJN DD line - it used to end with Akizuki, they added the Kitakaze which is amazing, and Harugumo which has insane dpm but is in my opinion too big and too clumsy to effectively contest and duel other DD's, so I don't find her fun at all.

Two new CV lines, Royal Navy which seems mediocre at best, and german ones that can ap rocket citadel cruisers then proceed to ap bomb them, the t10 MvR is, as a thread title aptly put it, a study in insanity.

Italy got a cruiser line (getting a BB line soon), they get "exhaust smoke" (your smoke moves with you at full speed, allowing you to instantly go invis as long as you're far enough from the nearest enemy that gun bloom doesn't give you away), they get long ranged extremely slow torps and SAP ammo instead of HE - can't start fires but has good pen and absolutely obliterates DD's.

Russian cruisers got a line split as well, with the light line (180mm guns) going Chapayev, Donskoi, A. Nevsky at t10. Solid 12km radar, not sold on 180's at t10 just yet though. Still new to the Nevsky though so the jury is out. The heavier line splits after Schors, and goes Tallinn (which is a floating piece of garbage, in my estimation), Riga (haven't heard good things either) and the balans king, Petropavlovsk (they are being spammed in competitive modes like there's no tomorrow, another sign of a "well balanced ship"). Very short 15s radar with 12km range, guns aren't as accurate as the light line but the Petro's do seem to hit regularly, and hit very hard. Do not give broadside to this thing.

EU DD's are new, and they're pretty fun and strong. Heal, speedboost, good AA, extremely fast long ranged torps that don't hit very hard but they do reload fairly quickly in general.

Quite a lot of premium / freemium-reward ships came out after Missouri was removed (replaced by Musashi which is also gone now, ships of note you can still get are the Thunderer, Alaska, Yoshino, Azuma, etc - prepare to grind lots of coal and fxp. Oh and Smaland is amazing, if anyone's wondering if she's worth the 2 million fxp).

They introduced something called research points, which are primarily earned by resetting lines you had up at t10. You get a refund of credits and port slots the ships were using, and as you grind the line back up (or fxp it) you get research points which you can then exchange for either special ships or legendary upgrades.

I probably forgot a bunch of things, but eh, I think this covers it in general. Good luck with your comeback.

• Cool 10

Players
4,076 posts
5,458 battles
30 minutes ago, _Flyto_ said:

I played WOWs from near the beginning until... I think late 2017 or early 2018. The British battleships were a fairly new thing.

I'm giving it another look now. To my surprise, I can still nearly aim straight.

So I'm wondering... what has changed that isn't obvious? What do I need to know about? Obviously there are lots of new ship types to get familiar with and learn the weaknesses of. It looks like focusing planes for AA has changed. What else should I be aware of?

Thanks.

Go away and save yourself from this game while you can. Thats all im gonna tell you.

The game is in the worst state ever (from PvP perspective) and things will only get even worse in near future.

• Cool 13

Players
4,600 posts
7,604 battles
27 minutes ago, _Flyto_ said:

What else should I be aware of?

We're up to about a thousand pages of complaining about the aircraft carrier changes (I'm not joking here), WG considers them to be "mostly fine".

• Cool 7
  • Funny 4

Players
659 posts
2,021 battles

Avoid Tier 4 Random unless you like shooting at aircraft.....

Basically assume everything is different to how you remember and don't pay too much attention to the moaning,

discover for yourself whether it's true or not.

If you can hit what you aim at then you're better than ~60% of the PlayerBase....

Disclaimer: I've been playing just over a year and think there's a lot of 'failure to adapt' to changed meta. 

• Cool 2
  • Bad 2

Players
10,263 posts
12,019 battles

Biggest one, Carriers got their REEEwork with core principle being "CV will get their strike through any anti air, even if they misplay". Planes no longer spot torpedoes, so at least there's that.

Other than that... usual cycle "lets introduce a problem and sell solution for it later", with perfect example being CV REEEwork with European destroyers following afterwards. T10 cruisers live too long due to 30mm plating? Lets introduce BB guns capable of overmatch of said plating, preferably premium ones.

Introduction of "large cruisers" like Alaska, which occupy cruiser slot Matchmaking wise. Destroyers with exception of Khaba and Harugumo don't eat full AP penetration hits from guns bigger than 280mm - you still might get a ribbon, but damage will be limited to overpen damage.

Introduction of Research Bureau, which... incentivizes... losing progress on researched T10 ships for artificial currency, which then you can spend on some nonsense. Wargaming also brought whaling to whole new dimension, with long term events like Dockyards - you can spend 35k doubloons for a tier 8 ship or grind for over a month to get up to 90%* discount. Offering lootboxes to get early access for silver ships, like current US BB line also became the norm.

*90% discount of 35k price, so you're spending 3.5k dubs on a ship that normally cost 12k-13k. So closer to 70% discount.

• Cool 4

Players
2,822 posts
21,868 battles
Vor 4 Stunden, _Flyto_ sagte:

So I'm wondering... what has changed that isn't obvious?

They "reworked" the CVs, which ruined everything.

All other raging outrageousnesses that people used to get worked up about - low tier sealclubbing, epicenter, torping from the second row, Belfast, Russian Bias, Kamikaze, P2W, what have you - everything pales in comparison.

The only playable tier remaining for non-AA ships is Tier IX where you "only" get around 36% of carrier battles on the EU server and they are sometimes uptiered (not that it helps much). Even dedicated AA ships can be blapped at will by semi-competent CV players, they have been turned into a pure, dedicated, low skill-floor griefing tool for low-skill griefers. On Tiers VI and VIII, it's approaching 70% and on Tier IV, 100% while no low Tier ships have any AA at all worth mentioning, and no other form of counterplay.

They even put CVs into Ranked and Clan Battles. It has gotten so awful that even the Clans have united. There is an organized protest movement (https://discord.gg/rnJvyG) and WG are squishing these naive protesters like bugs.

Enjoy!

• Cool 5

[BIF]
Players
393 posts
5,406 battles

Heavy powercreeping of older ships. Russian paper fantasy boats. Copy paste ships with like 5% change of the originals. Alot of pre-acces and lootbox based events. Operations nerfed or removed since years. Incoming submarines. Oh, and not to forget this :

427019496_WGCVs.jpg.aa835bfb61d1f644e35efb71436d96a7.jpg.22017552d86a77ad9b59cae1a9fa291e.jpg

• Cool 5
  • Funny 2

[LUXX]
Beta Tester
168 posts

I uninstalled during the Pay-to-Rico event last "Let's-[edited]-the-community-over"-Mas and haven't looked back. Every now and then I check to see if the game has started to climb back out of this valley of tears and find that WG introduced some new fuckery that makes things even worse, leaving me stunned and wondering "... how ? ..." 

• Cool 7

[IRON7]
Players
698 posts
11,016 battles
6 hours ago, Captain_Newman said:

the CV reeeework that removed RTS and dumbed them down

The single biggest mistake WoWS has ever made.

6 hours ago, Hades_warrior said:

Go away and save yourself from this game while you can. Thats all im gonna tell you.

The game is in the worst state ever (from PvP perspective) and things will only get even worse in near future.

WoWS used to be a very good game. Not any more.

6 hours ago, Panocek said:

usual cycle "lets introduce a problem and sell solution for it later"

The new sales strategy (I'd use a 'lol' but this is not, in any way, funny).

6 hours ago, FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor said:

They "reworked" the CVs, which ruined everything.

This sure did ruin a lot - like CV & DD play & AA, etc, etc.

Very instructive, _Flyto_ , that all of these above responders are against what WoWS has been doing, primarily due to the CV rework. 

Make your own decision based on this advice or play a bit & see if you really like what WoWS has done (since the CV rework).

• Cool 4

[I-J-N]
Players
5,699 posts

Some of you guys in this thread are so good at driving people away, you should apply for jobs in WeeGee development and/or marketing. :Smile_hiding:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 8

[FJAKA]
[FJAKA]
Players
275 posts
9,610 battles
4 minutes ago, Karasu_Hidesuke said:

Some of you guys in this thread are so good at driving people away, you should apply for jobs in WeeGee development and/or marketing. :Smile_hiding:

They do learn from the best ;)

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[NOWH]
Players
873 posts
6,026 battles

for mid tier... radar.

dear god the radar.

for high tier, more broken than ever.

tier 6/7 is the prime of the game.

[I-J-N]
Players
5,699 posts
1 minute ago, SkollUlfr said:

for mid tier... radar.

dear god the radar.

for high tier, more broken than ever.

tier 6/7 is the prime of the game.

I would agree, but for DD's this is a little harder because they don't get the concealment module while they may face higher tiers that do. Tiers 6/7 were also the old operations tiers...

[NOWH]
Players
873 posts
6,026 battles
Just now, Karasu_Hidesuke said:

I would agree, but for DD's this is a little harder because they don't get the concealment module while they may face higher tiers that do. Tiers 6/7 were also the old operations tiers...

maybe no module, but also no t10 carriers.

i tend to run DD as sneaky CL that dont get citedelled and can actually dodge a bit.

aided by mid tier ca/cl and bb not having quite the same degree of aim assist.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
2,043 posts
12,278 battles
9 hours ago, Hades_warrior said:

This pretty much! Im just waiting on Valhalla and Cyberpunk. I play a random game here and there because I have invested a lot of cash in premium ships 2015-2018 but after a few games of random I realize its a waste of my free time.

This is World of Carriers and OP Russian ships now days.

• Cool 4

Players
4,076 posts
5,458 battles
11 hours ago, Aethervoxx said:

The single biggest mistake WoWS has ever made.

WoWS used to be a very good game. Not any more.

The new sales strategy (I'd use a 'lol' but this is not, in any way, funny).

This sure did ruin a lot - like CV & DD play & AA, etc, etc.

Very instructive, _Flyto_ , that all of these above responders are against what WoWS has been doing, primarily due to the CV rework. 

Make your own decision based on this advice or play a bit & see if you really like what WoWS has done (since the CV rework).

Yup. This game had a golden year, but that was only 1st year. Before all these WC's in the game, before HE spam, before lemming trains, before camping and border suckers, before free EXP grind and all those speshul snowflakes behind Premium ships from the Armory.

And ofc before constant chat bans.

9 hours ago, OldschoolGaming_YouTube said:

This pretty much! Im just waiting on Valhalla and Cyberpunk. I play a random game here and there because I have invested a lot of cash in premium ships 2015-2018 but after a few games of random I realize its a waste of my free time.

This is World of Carriers and OP Russian ships now days.

And im waiting for Diablo IV but that is at least 2 more years away. And also invested too much money on this game all these years, and some people are in disbelieve that game supporters (people like us who spend money on game) take their right to complain on wargaming and what they are doing with this game.

Its like you are paying bills for your internet to your ISP who happens to change their policy and customer service with years and you dare to complain on their changes, overpriced service and bad feature even tho you are the one who give them money.

But I wont bother myself much with all those WC's around because I wont enter any TX battle for a long time. I dont play TX for over 2 weeks now and counting. So i'll stick with tier 8.

• Cool 3

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
14,564 posts
20,725 battles
21 hours ago, _Flyto_ said:

I think late 2017 or early 2018.

You experienced the best of what the game has to offer. Keep those happy memories and don't taint them with what the game has become now.

• Cool 11
  • Funny 1

[RODS]
Players
1,596 posts
7,704 battles
On 10/10/2020 at 10:24 AM, _Flyto_ said:

Thanks.

You quit playing about a year after I began

Lot of new ships - look up their stats so you can avoid learning their strengths the hard way

New insane HE spammers, CV:s are more or less un stoppable damage dealing gods, high tier Russian cruisers all have 12 km radar,  several super fast yolo DD:s at high tiers, others have super fast 90kn torps or spam out volleys of 8 torps per side 

French ships (even BB:s) are fast and often have speedboost and reload booster some have both

Russian BB:s are very tanky and have improved dispersion below 10 km

Players
3,369 posts
20,483 battles
17 hours ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

It's the same as always: whiners are whining a lot and yet keep playing. 

That's because the world isn't black and white my friend :-)

• Cool 2

[-HUN-]
[-HUN-]
Players
1,515 posts
11,041 battles

Better question: What hasn't changed? Tell me something that did not change since 2017.

[CRU_]
Players
361 posts
9,700 battles
On 10/10/2020 at 9:24 AM, _Flyto_ said:

Thanks.

This post has to be bait lol. Good that you can still lead properly, when i return I can't hit crap with DDs or Lt cruisers, when i was able to track a moving DD out to max range.