You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
ZifTTroll

Is the Minnesota worth it?

57 comments in this topic

[CRRZY]
Players
78 posts
2,024 battles

I got lucky I guess and the first one of the random bundle was the ship itself. Now I've heard that its not that good, but 1k doubloons is not much and I definitely have that amount. Should I spend the 1k doubloons for this American giant?237563715_Screenshot2020-10-01at16_45_38.thumb.png.8266f23bc17a4ad74dadd1cab88b0fef.png

• Cool 4
  • Angry 1

[CR33D]
[CR33D]
Players
2,899 posts
27,667 battles

Only if Minesota is in first out of 65 bundles. If is not in the first bundle, then it is not worth it. Don't waste your doubloons on lottery to get a ship which you can grind for free in the next patch. 

• Cool 7

[CRRZY]
Players
78 posts
2,024 battles

Yeah I think its the first bundle, did it get nerfed in anyway in 0.9.8?

[SHAFT]
Players
10,321 posts
9,108 battles

Its only a techtree ship afterall.

You get the ship and a portslot and what else?

I guess you have to decide if thats worth 1k dubs.

[CRRZY]
Players
78 posts
2,024 battles
Just now, DFens_666 said:

You get the ship and a portslot and what else?

Depends on whether the ship is good, but it seems very questionable at the moment

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,618 posts
20,461 battles
2 minutes ago, ZifTTroll said:

Yeah I think its the first bundle, did it get nerfed in anyway in 0.9.8?

Yes:

Spoiler

IX Minnesota

• AP shells' parameters were changed:
    • Maximum damage reduced from 13,500 to 12,800
    • Ballistics were changed: now AP shells will lose speed a bit faster and their flight trajectory became slightly more arcing.

Colorado Ap now.

[CR33D]
[CR33D]
Players
2,899 posts
27,667 battles

As @Aragathor pointed out I was nerfed recently 

Watching Flamu playing it on Twitch it doesn't look as particularly good ship. But for 1k doubloons you can skip grinding T8, you should get completely researched T9 (and maybe, a premium camo for it? not sure), so basically you can speed up your grind for Vermont. If that is looking worth 1k of doubloons than go for it if don't, then just wait one more patch. 

• Cool 1

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,944 posts
5,356 battles
15 minutes ago, ZifTTroll said:

I got lucky I guess and the first one of the random bundle was the ship itself. Now I've heard that its not that good, but 1k doubloons is not much and I definitely have that amount. Should I spend the 1k doubloons for this American giant?237563715_Screenshot2020-10-01at16_45_38.thumb.png.8266f23bc17a4ad74dadd1cab88b0fef.png

Magic 8-ball says: LOLnope.

[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts
13,936 battles

It has light armour and California's "small" guns for tier VII and its turtle mode speed.

When you use that in Narai you will see "Victory ! Your team completed the mission" when you managed to cross half the map......no ship in sight ofcourse be it allied or enemy. :Smile_sceptic:

In PvP it will do even worse......try to get away from a fire shower with that......and 25 mm plating  so even IFHE-less 150+ mm-ish Cruisers can penetrate your plating as well as torch you. ( got that from daily bounce article )

Players
10,103 posts
11,872 battles
1 minute ago, Beastofwar said:

It has light armour and California's "small" guns for tier VII and its turtle mode speed.

When you use that in Narai you will see "Victory ! Your team completed the mission" when you managed to cross half the map......no ship in sight ofcourse be it allied or enemy. :Smile_sceptic:

Convoy sails at 15kts. Yolorado and rest of chubby gang sails at 20-21kts. You can get ahead of them and enter base before convoy, but that takes effort of not coming up with excuses:cap_tea:

• Cool 1

[BRITS]
Beta Tester
365 posts
7,414 battles

MInnesota has the same guns as Colorado, more importantly same pen.

[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts
13,936 battles
12 minutes ago, Panocek said:

Convoy sails at 15kts. Yolorado and rest of chubby gang sails at 20-21kts. You can get ahead of them and enter base before convoy, but that takes effort of not coming up with excuses:cap_tea:

Damage racer teams do not sail at 15 knt but at 30+ knts and clear everything before you can even shoot it.

At start that won't be a big problem but half-match you see their smoke on the horizon......you will be hard pressed to shoot anything before it it whacked then. Or the mission ends....

21 knts is a horrible "speed" at tier VII.

edited : ignore that....confused it with Florida...tier IX ships ofcourse cannot sail in Narai.

[CR33D]
[CR33D]
Players
2,899 posts
27,667 battles
9 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

Small guns? Minnesota has 406mm guns, those are not small guns for T9. Issues is not a caliber but AP shell pen.

9 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

Never had issues with playing Colorado in Narai, not sure why would you have issues with California which has a same speed.

[SHAFT]
Players
10,321 posts
9,108 battles
5 minutes ago, Origin47 said:

MInnesota has the same guns as Colorado, more importantly same pen.

image.thumb.png.3e5a023e4b952c4422c2efd50dcc4000.png

Could be worse i think :cap_yes:

Players
10,103 posts
11,872 battles
15 minutes ago, fumtu said:

Small guns? Minnesota has 406mm guns, those are not small guns for T9. Issues is not a caliber but AP shell pen.

Never had issues with playing Colorado in Narai, not sure why would you have issues with California which has a same speed.

While 406mm is still decent caliber at tier 9, it struggles against T10 cruisers with 30mm plating due to lack of overmatch.

Amusingly, penetration flattens with hightier BB guns as 430+ calibers have almost identical practical penetration as 406mm guns - can perforate 300mm at any range and fails against 400mm unless given perfect broadside and/or you're within yolo range.

[CR33D]
[CR33D]
Players
2,899 posts
27,667 battles
6 minutes ago, Panocek said:

While 406mm is still decent caliber at tier 9, it struggles against T10 cruisers with 30mm plating due to lack of overmatch.

So? Still doesn't make it a "small" guns. None of regular T9 BBs has gun larger than 406, only two premium ships, Musashi and Georgia has bigger guns. 406 is also quite potent against T7 and T8 ships, you know the other tiers that T9 meet regularly. 

Players
10,103 posts
11,872 battles
1 minute ago, fumtu said:

So? Still doesn't make it a "small" guns. None of regular T9 BBs has gun larger than 406, only two premium ships, Musashi and Georgia has bigger guns. 406 is also quite potent against T7 and T8 ships, you know the other tiers that T9 meet regularly. 

Just because Omaha gets to bully Kuma from time to time doesn't make her any less bad.

And 406mm are "small" against worst enemies they can be pitted against. And if ship/guns can deal with worst case scenario, odds are, they will be just fine on their own tier or when facing lower tiers.

[CR33D]
[CR33D]
Players
2,899 posts
27,667 battles
1 minute ago, Panocek said:

And 406mm are "small" against worst enemies they can be pitted against. And if ship/guns can deal with worst case scenario, odds are, they will be just fine on their own tier or when facing lower tiers.

406mm "small" guns, wow. You are special one. 

• Funny 1

[IRON7]
Players
466 posts
10,784 battles

I saw a Minnesota in a battle today and the player operating it was very good. The Cpt got 6 sinkings & basically carried the team as the other team was clearly favoured by the MM (as usual).

& ofc since it is a new ship WF will favour it early on.

Players
10,103 posts
11,872 battles
Just now, fumtu said:

406mm "small" guns, wow. You are special one. 

Because 30mm plating is oh so rare on tier 10 cruisers and capacity to "angle" isn't that brain demanding to begin with. Throw in fact most hightier ships can easily keep all turrets on target and still retain their hulls well within ricochet angle and you have situation, where 406mm guns "simply doesn't cut it":cap_tea:

[SINT]
Players
938 posts
21,221 battles
1 hour ago, ZifTTroll said:

For that lucky first roll, yes I would say you could spent 1000 doubloons.  Saves you a lot of grinding, silver and a port spot.  Although money wise.. portspots are like 3 free a month and then 300 doubloons, 3 point captain also not that much... 

If you intended to do the grind as a collector it saves you around 200k FXP + the modules at T9 if you intend to get the T8 from the missions. If you start from Colorado even more.  So do you intend to grind the line upwards to T10: yes for a mere 1000 d it saves you much time.

Players
270 posts
5,513 battles

You're lucky. 

I saw flags in the first bundle and thought it wasn't worth the gamble. Should I risk 1k doubloons? What if I don't see big chungus in the second bundle? Should I keep gambling senselessly? I don't think it's wise. 

Players
487 posts
10,591 battles
40 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

Damage racer teams do not sail at 15 knt but at 30+ knts and clear everything before you can even shoot it.

At start that won't be a big problem but half-match you see their smoke on the horizon......you will be hard pressed to shoot anything before it it whacked then. Or the mission ends....

21 knts is a horrible "speed" at tier VII.

edited : ignore that....confused it with Florida...tier IX ships ofcourse cannot sail in Narai.

I was whizzing around at 27.5 knots in my Florida on Naraii, she’s alright actually.

Players
270 posts
5,513 battles
18 minutes ago, Panocek said:

Just because Omaha gets to bully Kuma from time to time doesn't make her any less bad.

406mm was one of the 'heavyweight'  shells in the pre-depleted uranium stalinium shells era. 

Monty's 406mm is still significantly better than GK's 420mm 

Players
10,103 posts
11,872 battles
2 minutes ago, SpartanRenegade said:

406mm was one of the 'heavyweight'  shells in the pre-depleted uranium stalinium shells era. 

Monty's 406mm is still significantly better than GK's 420mm 

Both are held in check by artificial ricochet angles and equally artificial overmatch mechanic. When it comes to perforating BB grade armor, most 406mm guns are just fine, unless dealing with 400mm plating at considerable distance and/or when angled. You know, kind of plating you'd use to defeat 406mm guns in first place:cap_tea:

And USN SHS 406mm shells have their "superheavy" gimmick modeled into above average shell damage.