You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
MyAngelAkagi

Tear of the DDs.

72 comments in this topic

[LA_FR]
[LA_FR]
Players
164 posts
2,164 battles

What do think about the epicenter mode when you play DD ? It's a very mad/sad mode because if you go take/contest the center you been radar and just play 3 min game. For me this mode need to been rework of something, how bad l hate this mode. 

• Cool 2
  • Bad 3

[KAKE]
Players
2,659 posts
6,370 battles

Don't contest the centre right from the start then.

Personally, I think it's the most interesting mode in the game, regardless of which class I'm playing.

• Cool 6

[JRM]
Players
6,751 posts
2 minutes ago, Az_Akagi said:

What do think about the epicenter mode when you play DD ? It's a very mad/sad mode because if you go take/contest the center you been radar and just play 3 min game. For me this mode need to been rework of something, how bad l hate this mode. 

Well epi can be challenging for any class except CV really, its usually a nuisance to get it in some modes such as Ranked but in RAndoms it can be a fun change of pace, trick as a DD is not to yolo the center but to block the enemy from capping and wait for teams to fully deploy, on some maps you can do this better on others not so much but usually its possible to do so, bait radar, try to outspot your counterparts and get them sniped off...

[LA_FR]
[LA_FR]
Players
164 posts
2,164 battles
Il y a 2 minutes, Uglesett a dit :

Personally, I think it's the most interesting mode in the game, regardless of which class I'm playing.

Same and but if you didn't take the center because shot adn report you, that what happen in my last game with this mode.

[GOON]
Beta Tester
97 posts
7,982 battles

Epicenter is pretty boring but it's a lot less frustrating to play once you realize that the center cap is a noob trap and you should never go there in a DD in like the first 10 minutes of the game (unless it's exceptional circumstances like you're in a Z52 and there's no radar on the enemy team or something). Just go flank and sink ships instead and worry about flipping the cap later.

Same thing applies to caps in domination too, although to a lesser extent. Simply don't go into a cap at the start of the game unless you really really want to run face first into an enemy DD and probably a radar. Do it later or not at all. Focus on sinking ships instead and you'll get the cap for free once the flank is won.

Flipping a cap ticks points very slowly - you get 36 points per minute for holding a cap. Meanwhile, killing a destroyer grants your team 30 points and loses the enemy team 45 points, meaning a single destroyer kill is worth holding a cap for over two minutes. Other ship classes are worth more. Playing very risky to get a cap early on is absolutely not worth it. Play for the kills instead.

• Bad 1

[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts
13,908 battles
1 hour ago, Az_Akagi said:

Safely behind a rock in the center they can radar all they want.....they see me but they can't hit me. Got to take care a rival DD does no try to rush around the corner  and torpedo though.....hydro is usually sufficient to discourage that. Many actually flee when detected, even when you can't hit them at all. Radar has that effect too....if you can't kill it with radar it is still good for driving off DD from caps that tuck tail and run.

That is untill the team allows the enemy to encircle them ( not hold the flanks ) so i can be blow away from the sides. It that case i have to get the hell outta Dodge and give up the center.

I often use a Smolensk in above described fasion too.....as an overgrown DD it is very good at hiding behind a rock in the center, and now and then lash out discouraging to dislodge ti from that position......and no DD with a brain will try to rush it......the DD ripping abilities of a Smolensk are unrivalled.

• Cool 2

Players
1,782 posts
18,973 battles

As a DD epicentre is so frustrating because you are almost always expected by your team to contest the centre whilst dealing with the joys of enemy DDs, radar and usually the ever present CV, and not all teams are willing to support you in this endeavour. 

The trick is staying alive, I usually  don't worry about getting the cap I just keep popping in to try and reset or delay the enemy from getting the cap, your final XP usually suffers as your wasting a lot of damage farming potential but as long as your alive you can be a thorn in the enemy's side. 

I always pray if I'm a DD on epicentre I will start off on the flanks, yes I usually get reported for not suiciding to the centre, but as a lot of teams struggle with map control on epicentre. So you can usually turn the enemy's flank and in doing so actually make it safe to cap, and allow your team to follow up behind you and create a cross fire. 

The good thing is reports are meaningless so who cares and if you get a back line BB who shoots you for not doing what he wants just submit the replay to support let them deal with him post battle. 

• Cool 2

Players
3 posts
4,693 battles

I don't play a lot of DD (and when I do not very well I guess), but epicentre is least annoying for me in a DD (except CV of course). As mentioned by others before me, I try to annoy the enemy rather than trying to get the cap. If you have a decent team there will be others in the outer rings around you to assist and scare off cheeky enemy DDs.

Sadly enought it happens way too often that I find myself more or less alone in the three cap zones (no matter what class of ship I play) and more often than not we loose on points before there is a chance to sink the enemy ships. I see many BBs and heavy cruisers simply wandering off the the very edges of the map as if they were scared of the cap zones and if that happens it almost always ends in a frustrating defeat which in my opinion is the real problem with this gamemode.

• Cool 1

Players
282 posts
5,179 battles

the islands off to the sides that cruisers want to use as cover are a DDs hunting grounds on those maps

atleast tends to work for me

plenty of places to sneak up close without ever being in danger except from DDs trying to contest the center and those never last long  

close range torps kill things a lot faster then panicked HE shells

once the cruisers are gone and the DDs have suicided trying to grab the center, the center is yours to take while your torps reload 

Beta Tester
1,582 posts
17,583 battles
Vor 5 Stunden, renhanxue sagte:

Flipping a cap ticks points very slowly - you get 36 points per minute for holding a cap. Meanwhile, killing a destroyer grants your team 30 points and loses the enemy team 45 points, meaning a single destroyer kill is worth holding a cap for over two minutes. Other ship classes are worth more. Playing very risky to get a cap early on is absolutely not worth it. Play for the kills instead.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Game_Modes#Epicenter

Each ring yields 60 points per minute. That's why it is so important for ships to play inside the cap rings.

One DD should always try to hold the center.

• Cool 1

Players
3,429 posts
14,187 battles

Get to the centre cap ASAP. A lot of the time it’s not even contested meaning you instantly start putting pressure on the red team by building a points lead. If you are afraid of capping. Don’t play DD. Simple as that. 

• Cool 9

[NWP]
Players
2,828 posts
16,962 battles

Not capping center is the noob trap. Mostly the first DD can be there in 1 - 2 mins tops. If your opponents don't contest they'll start losing the points race very quickly.

Plus, there are locations for safe capping. Afterwards, provide vision from center, defend center or move to a flank. Depending on how the game devellops.

If that sounds too risky: don't play DD.

• Cool 3

Players
2,980 posts
16,938 battles

Dont go to the centre before radars and hydro DDs are spotted. If CV in the game, wait for CV planes to be spotted and targeting someone else.

Instead pick a flank and crush it.

2 hours ago, Bear__Necessities said:

Get to the centre cap ASAP. A lot of the time it’s not even contested meaning you instantly start putting pressure on the red team by building a points lead. If you are afraid of capping. Don’t play DD. Simple as that. 

Disagree if enemy has CV or unspotted radarship(s) or Z52/Ly Yang/SIliwangi or you are playing a dd without smoke/Harugumo.

Teams are so horrible now-adays going centre early means getting targeted by 12 ships and losing a good chunk of hp for no reason - while friendly team merrily herp-a-derps like lemmings and shoot enemy BB 30 km away instead of the spotted DD/radar CA.

[LUZ1]
Players
741 posts
12,039 battles
8 hours ago, Uglesett said:

Bad advice.

The correct way to play epicenter is to enter the rings with at least 6 ships. But then is when it goes wrong. After you have entered the rings everyone should stay safe. What generally happens is ships don't enter the rings asap, and the enemy team gets free cap points quickly. Or, once you are in the cap, ships expose too much, and get blapped. 

So it is a game of exquisite balance and skill, which is why so many players fail at this mode. In my DD I always go for the center cap and usually stay there for at least the first 10 minutes.

But if you can't do that, your advice is correct, don't enter the center ring.

[LUZ1]
Players
741 posts
12,039 battles
8 hours ago, renhanxue said:

Epicenter is pretty boring but it's a lot less frustrating to play once you realize that the center cap is a noob trap and you should never go there in a DD in like the first 10 minutes of the game (unless it's exceptional circumstances like you're in a Z52 and there's no radar on the enemy team or something). Just go flank and sink ships instead and worry about flipping the cap later.

Same thing applies to caps in domination too, although to a lesser extent. Simply don't go into a cap at the start of the game unless you really really want to run face first into an enemy DD and probably a radar. Do it later or not at all. Focus on sinking ships instead and you'll get the cap for free once the flank is won.

Absolute bollocks. 

I always enter the center ring as quickly as I can and have little trouble staying alive there the first 10 minutes. I do usually play Lightning, which helps with low detect, many smokes, hydro to avoid torps and decent guns and torps.

The only trouble is when your team either is scared out of their whit and does not support at all. Or they yolo in and get blapped. Then I may be forced to vacate the center, but then the game is usually already lost.

Edited by Camperdown
Added hydro
  • Cool 2

[GOON]
Beta Tester
97 posts
7,982 battles
2 hours ago, Johnny_Moneto said:

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Game_Modes#Epicenter

Each ring yields 60 points per minute. That's why it is so important for ships to play inside the cap rings.

One DD should always try to hold the center.

In the previous paragraph that you left out of your quote it's quite clear I've segued to talk about domination, not epicenter.

[GOON]
Beta Tester
97 posts
7,982 battles
3 minutes ago, Camperdown said:

Absolute bollocks. 

I always enter the center ring as quickly as I can and have little trouble staying alive there the first 10 minutes. I do usually play Lightning, which helps with low detect, many smokes and decent guns and torps.

The only trouble is when your team either is scared out of their whit and does not support at all. Or they yolo in and get blapped. Then I may be forced to vacate the center, but then the game is usually already lost.

But do you actually do damage there?

[LUZ1]
Players
741 posts
12,039 battles
4 minutes ago, renhanxue said:

But do you actually do damage there?

Not too much at start. Depends also on the map. With Lightning I can do some quick damage to enemy DDs, smoke up and go dark again. And get out of the smoke immediately after, as every man and his mother will fire at the smoke.

Also, I can use torps at enemy smoke and yoloing cruisers and BBs. Not that I get much opp at cruisers as they die very quickly if the try to yolo.

So the doing damage part only starts after 5 minutes or so. But if you have managed to stay in the center ring for the first 5 minutes you usually create significant advantage for your team.

Very important however is to be as careful as you can in the center ring. Seek island cover, stay mostly at the outer edge of the ring and don't fire guns at anything except DDs and then only when the risks are acceptable. And get out when things get too hot and you can't survive.

[THESO]
[THESO]
4,003 posts
10,859 battles

For random teams, Epicenter is the most painful thing to play... 

But it can be the most exciting mod for competitive with team play... 

Players
153 posts
21,070 battles

You really need to learn your maps as a dd captain. All the epi maps have a spot where a dd can place itself and be in hard cover - even if radered. 

if there is a cv in the match, use your smoke. If you are sat in the middle in a smokeless dd, you’re not really playing your dd optimally.

if by some miracle of team play, you are radared, are in hard cover, are in smoke AND their cv decides to blah you, well, the enemy deserves to be rewarded for rubbing two brain cells together. 

Remember to turn off your AA to buy yourself precious concealment ina cv game. You’d be surprised how bored the cv captains get if they don’t find you straight away.

finally, be patient. You can sit for 10 minutes sometimes doing sweet FA. This is actually useful, because it a) blocks the cap and b) forces the name to do something.....which will finally give your teMan opportunity to exploit

• Cool 1

Players
772 posts
20,786 battles

Well, someone has to contest the middle, right? 

ToD is the worst map, esp. in ranked. If I happen to be the only DD its a snooze-fest. 

Go in middle, park behind an island and then I can pretty much go afk for the next 5 mins since yoloing the other DD is way too risky. 

And thats the worst part, you are way too team-dependent while you cant do much yourself. 

• Cool 2