Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
SkollUlfr

did any of ships ingame have variable pitch propellers?

7 comments in this topic

Players
579 posts
5,199 battles

its pretty certain a lot of the old 1910 designs would have had simple solid props, even if as a game mechanic we could say "refit x adds this".

but is it known if ships ingame actually had this technology?

im curious as it could be another way to adjust a ships handling characteristics.

allowing them to quickly change from forward acceleration to powered deceleration. something that doesnt seem to exist at the moment ingame.

[C1DFL]
[C1DFL]
Beta Tester
2,372 posts
13,980 battles

Although CPP systems existed since the 1930s i highly doubt that they were installed on warships wich we have in WoWS.

If considered at all then most probably on smaller vessels with considerably lower shaft power and the need for better manoeuvrability than fleet units. Minesweepers or tugs for instance.

• Cool 1

Players
5,027 posts

Well, I googled and Wikipedia only mentions early use in connection with aircraft. Seems to be too new for all the current WoWS ships. However, I came across something that tells us that the Americans had ' holicoidal, two-stage reduction gear coupled with high-speed steam turbines built by the General Electric Co. This solution enabled the designers to keep propeller rotations within limits acceptable from the hydrodynamic point of view.'

http://www.kagero.eu/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=205:the-battleship-uss-north-carolina&catid=96&Itemid=686&limitstart=3

Players
579 posts
5,199 battles
4 hours ago, togMOR said:

If considered at all then most probably on smaller vessels with considerably lower shaft power and the need for better manoeuvrability than fleet units. Minesweepers or tugs for instance.

its mainly in relation to cruisers that i am wondering if this could be used as an upgrade module. allowing them another option for how they manoeuvre.

being able to change speed rapidly would help survive-ability.

doing this without the return of the peekaboo non-sense would be the issue but that should have been solved with shell trajectories anyway.

Players
5,027 posts
6 minutes ago, SkollUlfr said:

being able to change speed rapidly would help survive-ability.

They are already doing this, damned anti-locking-breaks-using-dodgy-dodgy cruisers. :Smile-angry:

• Funny 1

[PGT2P]
Players
67 posts
6,435 battles

Variable pitch etc isn't very durable, there used to be a power/tonnage formula... anyhow, many modern (80s onwards large fishing boats have them, ferries too), larger ships still make do without.  Don't think they were around during ww2, or earlier.  

Players
413 posts
3,834 battles

One of my ships, the crude oil tanker Northia of 133,000 tonnes, had a Kamewa CCP in a Kort nozzle, powered by a 10-cylinder B&W. Her engineroom was probably the simplest one I ever sailed in. Rolled like a pig, which is unfortunate as she was dedicated to the North Sea, but a delight down in the pit. Great ship!

Sign in to follow this