You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Bad_Boy_Bon_Bon_Biter

SHIP BITS

11 comments in this topic

[KAKE]
Players
2,649 posts
6,346 battles

Saluting gun or small anti-torpedo-boat gun, probably.

Which ship?

Players
1,717 posts
10 minutes ago, Uglesett said:

Saluting gun or small anti-torpedo-boat gun, probably.

Which ship?

image.thumb.png.4310c71aeeabe87a2126b586db64e7e0.png

I thought some sort of cable / rope thrower, but i do not think that is right because of the square catcher to the left of the main body 

[C1DFL]
[C1DFL]
Beta Tester
2,372 posts
13,980 battles

The forward facing square thingy looks very much like a breach block assembly. However, the size dosn´t match the "barrel" at all and a gun of whatever purpose wouldn´t make any sense on that position.

So, just a wild guess, but could that possibly be some kind of gunnery/loading practice device like the ones found on USN ships ?

• Cool 1

Players
547 posts
1,723 battles

I think you're right about the cable thrower, with the square bit where the cable is laid before firing.

BAD THINGS happen if cable is launched with it lying loose on deck and the drag of spooling off a drum would reduce the range.

A large blank round firing through a small bore will increase the gas velocity dramatically, thus throwing a lighter projectile faster from a short barrel.

Normally though, the launcher is rifle sized and projects a light line which then hauls a heavier line and so on....... 

[RONIN]
Players
336 posts
3,666 battles
5 minutes ago, Molly_Delaney said:

I think you're right about the cable thrower, with the square bit where the cable is laid before firing.

BAD THINGS happen if cable is launched with it lying loose on deck and the drag of spooling off a drum would reduce the range.

A large blank round firing through a small bore will increase the gas velocity dramatically, thus throwing a lighter projectile faster from a short barrel.

Normally though, the launcher is rifle sized and projects a light line which then hauls a heavier line and so on....... 

Imagine if you could shoot a thick cable at enemy destroyer and when he kills you, you take him down with you to the bottom:cap_cool: (i hope WG is not reading this)

• Funny 2

Players
5,027 posts
2 minutes ago, Wulf_Ace said:

Imagine if you could shoot a thick cable at enemy destroyer and when he kills you, you take him down with you to the bottom:cap_cool: (i hope WG is not reading this)

Well, if we were talking about the age of sail, then I'd suggest it was intended for boarding enemy ships...:Smile_hiding:

Players
219 posts
11,902 battles

It's cable thrower to get a cable to between 2 ships (mail, fuel food ect)

but also used as Saluting gun or pratice gun.

• Cool 3