You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Tyloo_Xccurate

First high tier coal ship recommendation?

35 comments in this topic

Players
7 posts
1,085 battles

I'm now about to get enough coal for my first coal ship. I'm best at playing cruisers, but battleships and destroyers also works fine for me (that is, about 2,200 PR in my CAs and 2,000 in the rest), and I suck in my carriers. I'm currently hesitant between Georgia, Yoshino and Moskva. What would you guys recommend?

Players
3,153 posts
19,561 battles

Im a DD and CA player and I love the Georgia. If you are used to fragility, speed, and manouvrability the Georgia might be a great pick for you as well. Shes got great guns, fun secondairies and plays like a giant cruiser with some meat on her.

I dont own Yoshino but shes a long range spammer from what i can tell. If thats you, go for that. Moskva is nice, but very 'russian' stand offish.

Players
7 posts
1,085 battles
40 minutes ago, gopher31 said:

Thunderer

Yes I've heard that Thunderer is good, but since I already have the Nelson I'm looking for something that can train another commander. Still, thanks a lot for the recommendation!

Players
7 posts
1,085 battles
17 minutes ago, Europizza said:

Im a DD and CA player and I love the Georgia. If you are used to fragility, speed, and manouvrability the Georgia might be a great pick for you as well. Shes got great guns, fun secondairies and plays like a giant cruiser with some meat on her.

I dont own Yoshino but shes a long range spammer from what i can tell. If thats you, go for that. Moskva is nice, but very 'russian' stand offish.

So you think Georgia will work well for me if I love the NC?

[SWAMP]
Players
420 posts
2,892 battles
9 minutes ago, Tyloo_Xccurate said:

I'd get the Thunderer if you like NC, she does everything that NC does, just better. She is also a BB that can play like a super cruiser, being more squishy than your average BB, but having extremely accurate guns with 20s reload and good rudder shift.

Players
3,153 posts
19,561 battles
23 minutes ago, Tyloo_Xccurate said:

NC is very different from Georgia, like I said she plays like a giant cruiser, at least for me. Very fast, action oriented. I dont like battleships much and didnt particularly enjoyed the NC playstyle. I dont own the Thunderer but apart from very accurate guns she seems too boring for me, all long range play. Im just not a long range player. If you are though, go Thunderer like suggested. If you like action style play, take georgia. Both are not great at tanking though. Moskva is a good ship, but again very stand off like. A cruiser that playes more like a battleship I guess. Not somthing to get in the thick of things with usually. If thats you, its a good ship.

[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts
13,951 battles
16 minutes ago, Europizza said:

NC is very different from Georgia, like I said she plays like a giant cruiser, at least for me. Very fast, action oriented. I dont like battleships much and didnt particularly enjoyed the NC playstyle. I dont own the Thunderer but apart from very accurate guns she seems too boring for me, all long range play. Im just not a long range player. If you are though, go Thunderer like suggested. If you like action style play, take georgia. Both are not great at tanking though. Moskva is a good ship, but again very stand off like. A cruiser that playes more like a battleship I guess. Not somthing to get in the thick of things with usually. If thats you, its a good ship.

But Yoshino has 20 km torpedo's too, 4 x 4 = salvo of 8 heavies at 21k dmg  per torp......62 knots and they can even be faster ( max 70 knots = 130 km/h ! )

Players
7 posts
1,085 battles
17 minutes ago, Europizza said:

Thanks a lot! What about credit earning potential? I do know that t10s earn less then t9s, but to what extent? Also, in terms of my playstyle I prefer mid-range, that is usually 12-16km in my higher tier ships.

Players
3,153 posts
19,561 battles
1 minute ago, Beastofwar said:

But Yoshino has 20 km torpedo's too......62 knots and they can even be faster......

Yoshino if you like long range spammage as well. But if thats his thing Thunderer seems way more fun.

Players
3,153 posts
19,561 battles
12 minutes ago, Tyloo_Xccurate said:

Thanks a lot! What about credit earning potential? I do know that t10s earn less then t9s, but to what extent?

I actually never pay attention to that. I do hear T9s make better credits then T10 does. But some other forumite probably knows better. T9 can get into T7-9 battles. Also, check your captain training needs for silver ships in the same type and nation.

[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts
13,951 battles
9 minutes ago, Europizza said:

Yoshino if you like long range spammage as well. But if thats his thing Thunderer seems way more fun.

In previous ranked sprint i did very different things with it......it involved speeding around islands popping up broadside to oblivious enemies. What the torpedo's did not sink, the close range AP broadsides did....even the secondaries chip in some fires.

It will not do that in randoms.....but those are boring long range spamfest per definition. There it also fits perfectly as a boring unremarkable spammer.

Players
10,116 posts
11,879 battles
1 hour ago, Tyloo_Xccurate said:

You can play Georgia as NC (closer to Iowa given lack of turn though), but no way you can replicate Georgia with NC.

That said, Georgia should work more than fine with usual tank build, secondaries can be fun, but situational would be an understatement and then on no silver US battleship secondary build makes sense.

[DEFR]
[DEFR]
Players
1,270 posts
2 hours ago, Tyloo_Xccurate said:

I'm now about to get enough coal for my first coal ship. I'm best at playing cruisers

If you like cruisers, then I'd get Moskva for coal. I recently got it and its guns are very good for using, fast low projectile and very accurate even at distance (no silly high arc cruiser guns on it like with USA cruisers). But it's much like Azuma, weak if you get caught with broadside shots - but it's tanky if facing front on. It can shoot 22.5k with the gun range module added, so you can always play it safer at range. All in all... it is a fun cruiser to play though with it's comfortable guns for using and a pretty fast reload.

[SV]
Players
960 posts
13,002 battles

smolensk oh wait removed then pick jeanbart oh wait removed fine just take thunderer or georgia then sigh

[BRITS]
Beta Tester
365 posts
7,448 battles

Thunderer.

[WGP2W]
Beta Tester
306 posts
3,106 battles

Thunderer is the strongest ship in the armoury and most likely to be the next one removed, much like Smolensk its too strong and too popular to stay there forever. You can always get more coal but you may never get another opportunity to get Thunderer. 

Players
8,404 posts
9,218 battles
11 hours ago, Tyloo_Xccurate said:

Yes I've heard that Thunderer is good, but since I already have the Nelson I'm looking for something that can train another commander. Still, thanks a lot for the recommendation!

You can get the commander to 19 pt and farm elite commander exp for other captains.

Players
1,675 posts
7,547 battles

I'd get Georgia, as I find it more exiting to play than the Thunderer. Also, as a relatively new captain, you'll appreciate a T9 credit maker / US captain trainer.

• Cool 1

[TACHA]
Players
223 posts
3,915 battles

I have Thunderer and Georgia and prefer the former, prepare for losing karma points if you division up with a Conqueror :Smile_trollface:

[SINT]
Players
940 posts
21,243 battles

For coal advice I just presume coal is your only main regular income that can get you “ free “ ships. Depending on the rate you acquire coal and thus your ambition to get only few or all ships in due time...

You want high tier, So T9 And T10 ( maybe T7)? 

Well currently you have in shop:

T10

Salem

Marceau

Yoshino

Moskwa

Thunderer

T9

Georgia

Pommern

T7

Blys

The T9 earn you more money then T10’s. Between your first 3 options ( Moskwa, Georgia, Yoshino) I think Georgia is the much better option. Moskwa is not very special ( happy I received it for free, would have hated to waste coal for it), Yoshino is to delicate to play active in it and those torps require constraint on your side...With the current captain rework it looks like the supercruisers might get shafted due to no longer having access to some BB perks...work in progress though... From a collecter POV I think Georgia ( together with Thunderer) are the earliest free ships to be removed from shop IF WG does a repeat of Smolensk/ JB.

From the other ships Thunderer is the best T10. Having Nelson should not be a reason to block this ship, the Thunderer gives you much more.

Salem is ok but you can get DM easier. Since you have the best results in cruisers you might already progress far with the US CA branch...if you can’t get US cruisers to work, Salem wil not suit you either.

So get Thunderer first ( with coupon) or Georgia second ( without coupon) and buy Thunderer next year when the coupon resets.

Players
7 posts
1,085 battles
1 hour ago, Ocsimano18 said:

I'd get Georgia, as I find it more exiting to play than the Thunderer. Also, as a relatively new captain, you'll appreciate a T9 credit maker / US captain trainer.

Thanks! However from the little that I know, it seems like the Alaska (which I'm saving free xp for) is a better USN BB captain trainer than Georgia?

Players
7 posts
1,085 battles
1 hour ago, Jvd2000 said:

For coal advice I just presume coal is your only main regular income that can get you “ free “ ships. Depending on the rate you acquire coal and thus your ambition to get only few or all ships in due time...

You want high tier, So T9 And T10 ( maybe T7)? 

Well currently you have in shop:

T10

Salem

Marceau

Yoshino

Moskwa

Thunderer

T9

Georgia

Pommern

T7

Blys

The T9 earn you more money then T10’s. Between your first 3 options ( Moskwa, Georgia, Yoshino) I think Georgia is the much better option. Moskwa is not very special ( happy I received it for free, would have hated to waste coal for it), Yoshino is to delicate to play active in it and those torps require constraint on your side...With the current captain rework it looks like the supercruisers might get shafted due to no longer having access to some BB perks...work in progress though... From a collecter POV I think Georgia ( together with Thunderer) are the earliest free ships to be removed from shop IF WG does a repeat of Smolensk/ JB.

From the other ships Thunderer is the best T10. Having Nelson should not be a reason to block this ship, the Thunderer gives you much more.

Salem is ok but you can get DM easier. Since you have the best results in cruisers you might already progress far with the US CA branch...if you can’t get US cruisers to work, Salem wil not suit you either.

So get Thunderer first ( with coupon) or Georgia second ( without coupon) and buy Thunderer next year when the coupon resets.

Thanks a lot for the fairly long reply! I think I'm most likely gonna go with the Thunderer first (And get the Alaska with free xp), and then get Georgia if it's still around when I get enough coal again. Most likely gonna put Yoshino and Moskva lower in the line since I'm on my way towards the Zao and the Petropavlovsk, which seems either similar or more exciting than the respective premiums.

[RONIN]
Players
366 posts
3,758 battles

if you dont have Des Moines then take Salem.

Yoshino for fun cruiser play,but paper ship,strong guns,fragile armor.

Moskva is just meh, good but kinda boring to play.