You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Tanatoy

ST 0.9.11, Ranked Battles Overhaul (DB 78)

24 comments in this topic

[WG]
WG Staff, Administrator
5,290 posts
4,477 battles

We would like to present you the first concept of an overhaul of the Ranked Battles.

Read more.

Please note that all information in the development blog is preliminary and subject to change during testing. Any showcased features may or may not end up on the main server. The final information will be published on our game's website.

• Cool 4

Players
1,436 posts
15,945 battles

I read this hoping to see some actual changes to the ranked system, since the current system is not really ranked, but more a roll-of-the-dice combined with hard grinding. 
That system is not changed at all, although the sprints are more manageable than the current system, even if you keep repeating them effectively. 

In general i am positive about these changes, but what should really be addressed is the star distribution. 

AFK/ 0 XP on a loss should automatically be punished by 7 (asusming 7 vs 7) lost stars, while rest of that team doesnt lose stars, 
on the winning team the best players should be rewarded more and on the losing team as well. 
If you keep winning as 5th in your team, you should progress slower than someone who is steadily 1st or 2nd but loses every now and then. 

The current system is not ranked, it is checking for wins only. 

Moderator, Sailing Hamster, Privateer
792 posts
9 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

How about introducing an ELO like system to improve MM in the leagues?

They said they don't want skill based MM in the past. I don't think this has changed. I'm pretty sure we will not see an ELO based MM in the foreseeable future.

Moderator, Sailing Hamster, Privateer
792 posts
18 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

This is Ranked, not Random.

Doesn't matter. The tenor was something like: "We don't want skill based MM, no matter which game mode we are talking about". Personally, I am with you. I would prefer a skill based MM, even in randoms. In my opinion this would be more fun for everyone, because teams would be more balanced. Anyway, I'm pretty sure we wil never see something like that.

[BATES]
Players
1,289 posts
18,277 battles
22 minutes ago, gopher31 said:

I hope they don’t limit the times we can play ranked to busy periods.

I don’t often play in the evenings so if they limit ranked to evening time I will not be able to do it.

Same..hope the limit means a waiting time limit indefinite (if there are not enough people to play after 5 mins waiting a player generally understands and leaves queue)

BTW finally something interesting to read in Dev Blog, hope it will improve the Ranked experience

Beta Tester
116 posts
12,475 battles

Read the news. Completely dissappointing. This is not ranked no matter how often they call it ranked. It's not ranked because players do not get ranked by skill. A top player will do rank 1 in less than 100 battles while a grindy boi will need 600 and more. Both get the same result. No skill involved. Even worse, players may think that grindy boi with rank 1 (that took him 600+ matches) is a better player than a top player that ran out of interest after less than 50 matches at rank 5.

WG once again uses words incorrectly ("ranked" matches) and ignores its player base. And still they wonder why the player base is dwindling.

Go ELO or get lost.

• Cool 1

[BURZA]
Players
480 posts
16,123 battles

I have a suggestion to make small changes also in stars system. Instead o MVP in loosing team saving star, lets have both MVPs in each team get +1 star. For MVP on loosing team this will be effectively same, but it will give much more incentive to become MVP in winning team. I do believe that such system would promote more active play in both teams.

WoWs Wiki Team, In AlfaTesters, Beta Tester, Quality Poster
2,274 posts
15,821 battles

Great, so now not only is there no break from the constant events but also ranked is a never ending grind as well.

Why not make CW 7 days a week 365 days a year as well?

I really so no positive change in what you have listed.

The main features of the new system:

• Ranked Seasons succeed each other almost immediately, only with short breaks to separate them.
  • To ensure quality matchmaking, Ranked Battles are not available during periods of low activity.

Constant, great.

• The mechanics of ranks and stars remain unchanged.

Why? Stop letting people save stars. Exp is not fully indicative of quality or contribution.

• Each Season has three Leagues: Bronze, Silver, and Gold. Each league will start you at your initial rank (for example, tenth), and have you fight to reach rank 1 for that league.

So we have 30 ranks now instead of 18.

• You can complete the League in one Sprint (one part of the Season, lasting 1-3 weeks). There are always no fewer Sprints than Leagues.
  • Upon reaching the first rank, qualification begins: to move to the next League, you need to get a certain number of stars. During qualification, you cannot drop to previous ranks.
  • If you've not reached the qualification or have not passed it, by the time a Sprint ends, then you'll start the next Sprint from the initial rank of the same League where you left off.
  • If the qualification is successfully completed, then you'll start the next Sprint from the initial rank of the next League.
  • During a Season, you cannot drop to the previous league.

So during the qualification you just have to grind stars, you can lose stars but you cant get relegated back to rank 2 and you cant get demoted to a previous league so I guess you start at bronze 10 at the start of each season cos you didn't mention that anywhere?

Seasons and format

• In different Leagues, battles can take place on ships of different Tiers, and not necessarily only on one. For example, in the Bronze League, battles can take place at Tier VIII, and at Tiers VIII - IX in the Silver League. The format may change from Season to Season.

Multiple tiers would be nice but that also just makes this more like randoms.

• The teams will always be strictly mirrored in ship types and Tiers.

Except large cruisers though right? Theyre just like regular cruisers. This is part of the problem of ranked, the game is not competitively balanced.

The other problem is that there isnt competitive matchmaking, it's just playing against whoever was lucky enough to make it to where they are.

• Cool 3

Players
8,127 posts
245 battles

So its gotten worse? Change the name from ranked to ‘infinite grind’.

Sounds like one of the more anti-competitive modes out there atm.

Oh well.

And dem camos as well bloody horrible.

[T-N-T]
Players
4,005 posts
22,752 battles

As someone against the silly mounting of events onto other events and clan battles and dockyard directives and whatnot, I am heavily against this grind.

What I'd love is for Ranked seasons to return to almost 2 months of duration instead of the current 1 month and lenghtening of sprints. I'm sick and tired of being forced to play just because I'm runing out of time.

Players
595 posts
Vor 8 Stunden, Arty_McFly sagte:

They said they don't want skill based MM in the past. I don't think this has changed. I'm pretty sure we will not see an ELO based MM in the foreseeable future.

A smarter implementation of Elo aspects might be simply applying it to rewards not to MM by giving bigger rewards, more advancement for defeating stronger (high Elo) opponents and less for defeating low Elo guys.

[AWG-M]
Players
463 posts

I don't like the aspect of timegating ranked matches to specific times of the day. That mode has to remain open 24h like it's now.
Time gating always creates problems for players and a mode which adresses all players and can require a higher amount of matches played (let's say something 100+ [that amount will always be highly different between players]) should not face players with the problem of not being able to achieve something just because a time gate says "no" because someone chooses to go to cinema and after that is playing the game but over course of the night not being able to play that mode.

• Cool 1

[VPM]
Players
893 posts
19,436 battles

"Ranked Seasons succeed each other almost immediately, only with short breaks to separate them."

"To ensure quality matchmaking, Ranked Battles are not available during periods of low activity."

Clanbattles are being abolished? Or are they being played at the same time?

[T-N-T]
Players
4,005 posts
22,752 battles
50 minutes ago, OldSchoolFrankie said:

"Ranked Seasons succeed each other almost immediately, only with short breaks to separate them."

"To ensure quality matchmaking, Ranked Battles are not available during periods of low activity."

Clanbattles are being abolished? Or are they being played at the same time?

Clan Battles have been running at the same time as Ranked for like a year now.

Wonder why the game became so tiresome.

[COBRA]
Players
4 posts
16,794 battles

Hi everyone,

I have been playing this game for 5 years and not one reach rank 1 because ranked battles are so dam toxic. I really like they are changing how ranked works  but I am worried about the part where they won't change how current star system works and that because of it nothing will change. 

I would really like the system they have in clan battles where you win more points in winning game then you lose in losing game. 

Or maybe give a player one "free" star for every third game he finishes in top 3. And player then can decide when he wants to use this free stars.

For example if you need one star to progress to next rank and RNGesus decide to step in and gives you bad team you can get out of it without worrying if you will be top player.

For what i have seen being a top player most of time doesn't mean they did everything to help the team but they sit selfishly at the end of map and grind damage and XP whole game.

Players
3,362 posts
26,028 battles
On 9/23/2020 at 8:19 PM, Astolfo_Is_My_Waifu said:

You can complete the League in one Sprint (one part of the Season, lasting 1-3 weeks). There are always no fewer Sprints than Leagues.

Thats confusing... 

So consists a Ranked (full circle through all Leagues) now of 3 Ranked Sprints + Qualification?

More precisely: Is Bronze League i.e. like a Ranked sprint with all the Rules of RS? Like Bonus Stars at new Rank and many "safe" Ranks?

2,274 posts
15,821 battles
On 9/30/2020 at 9:48 AM, Prophecy82 said:

Thats confusing...

It means that if the season consists of 3 leagues there will be 3 or more sprints.

If you start in league 1 you'll need a single sprint to qualify and promote yourself to league 2, and then another sprint to promote yourself to league 3. Thereby going from league 1 to 3 in just 2 sprints. But, there would be at least 3 sprints because " There are always no fewer Sprints than Leagues", meaning you wont have to win a qualification season of every single sprint of a season. A season may consist of 3 leagues and 5 sprints, so you'll only have to hit rank one 3 times, and with 5 sprints you will have 5 chances.

So consists a Ranked (full circle through all Leagues) now of 3 Ranked Sprints + Qualification?

A season will consist of multiple sprints, each sprint is a chance to promote yourself to the next league via a qualification series.

More precisely: Is Bronze League i.e. like a Ranked sprint with all the Rules of RS? Like Bonus Stars at new Rank and many "safe" Ranks?

There is no mention of any safe ranks in this new concept, you will have to keep winning to reach the promotion qualification series. But, once you reach the qualification series it says you cannot lose rank so you can only complete the qualification series or not, you cannot fail it and get demoted back down from the qualification series once it has started, you will only fail if the sprint ends before you complete the series.

• Cool 1

[T-N-T]
Players
4,005 posts
22,752 battles

Gosh, thanks, Astolfo, for trying to explain it but I'm more lost than ever.

I guess you'd have to complete three consecutive Sprint equivalents three consecutive weeks to get to the top, and then again and again until the servers stop running.

Who can bloody like that nonsense?!

2,274 posts
15,821 battles
52 minutes ago, Toivia said:

Gosh, thanks, Astolfo, for trying to explain it but I'm more lost than ever.

I guess you'd have to complete three consecutive Sprint equivalents three consecutive weeks to get to the top, and then again and again until the servers stop running.

Who can bloody like that nonsense?!

While I certainly could be mistaken, I understand the flow of the new ranked mode to work like this example below;

Season 1 of new ranked begins.

The Season consists of 3 leagues, we'll call them bronze, silver and gold. Each league consists of 10 ranks.

During the season there will be 5 sprints; periods in which you can play the ranked game mode.

You start this season with Sprint 1 and you are ranked at rank 10 of bronze league, the bottom.

During Sprint 1 you progress through the ranks, just like before, earning 2-3 stars in order to progress to the next rank or be demoted.

You reach rank 1 which begins the qualification series for promotion to Silver. You must earn 4 stars to be promoted, and you cannot be demoted back down to rank 2.

You suceed with your qualification series and are promoted into Silver, this ends the progress you can make during Sprint 1.

Rewards are given "for a certain number of victories in the League, for reaching rank 1, and for passing qualification."

A few days after the end of Sprint 1, Sprint 2 begins.

You start this at rank 10 of Silver. You cannot be demoted back down into Bronze.

Again, you progress through the ranks from 10 to 1 and begin your qualification series for promotion into Gold. You cannot be demoted back down to rank 2.

This time you make it to rank 1 but you dont complete the qualification series in time and the sprint ends.

A few days later, Sprint 3 begins.

You start this, again, at rank 10 of Silver because the qualification series was not completed in the previous sprint.

This time you have much more success, reaching rank 1 and completing the qualification series for promotion into Gold.

Sprint 4 begins.

You start at rank 10 of Gold due to your success in the previous Sprint. You cannot be demoted back down to Silver.

You progress through from 10 to 1, earning rewards for progressing through the league and upon reaching rank 1 you have effectively completed this Sprint, there are no more qualification series and upon reaching rank 1 you cannot play further.

Sprint 5 begins.

You are returned to rank 10 of Gold and can progress through Gold ranks 10 to 1 again to earn new rewards. Once more, your progress is complete upon reaching rank 1.

When Sprint 5 ends, Season 1 ends.

When Season 2 begins you will begin at Bronze rank 10.

The number of leagues in a season, the number of ranks in a league (which is apparently 10), the number of sprints per season, the available rewards per sprint and the time frame that WG anticipates this ranked mode will take place over are all unknown at the moment.

I'm most curious to know if the rewards "for a certain number of victories" means that if I win-lose-win-lose-win-lose my way through 20 games so that I am still at rank 10 with 1 star do I still get 10 wins worth of rewards, whatever they may be, with the most precious rewards being reserved for reaching rank 1 and promotion?

• Cool 1