Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
MadBadDave

Brit BBs

48 comments in this topic

[S-O-M]
Players
657 posts

I decided to go back into Grinding Brit BB’s, originally I stopped at the Monarch because it’s the worst T8 BB in the game, no ? Bismarck, North Carolina, Vlad etc,etc or Monarch, exactly it’s crap.   I got lion Having loved FDG (preferring it over GK), enjoyed Izumo and getting the disappointment known as Iowa, (I prefer North Carolina), Lion; dull as dishwater springs to mind, what exactly is the point of Lion, a more apt name would be HMS Sloth,  even the slated Izumo is far better/more fun.   Please tell me the grind to get conq is worth it. 

Is there a reason why the Russian Biased WG has given us boring Brit heavy cruisers BB’s and Cvs ?.  Lion reminds me a lot of Albermarle; what’s the friggin point.  Isn’t this game supposed to be fun 😉.

Yes lion has a super heal, yes it has a very low detection value and yes it starts fire, but when you see 4 dds a game and dire secondaries ? Point ?,   now if it had 11km secondaries things would be interesting.

Anyone actually like Lion ?

[CATS]
Players
30,374 posts
15,494 battles

She is ok.

She can tank HE spammers like a champ, but is a bit squishy vs AP.

Her guns are strong and when you are not a fan of good aiming or knowing the armor of enemies, you can just spam HE yourself. That is a really strong option with her.

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
12 minutes ago, MadBadDave said:

Is there a reason why the Russian Biased WG has given us boring Brit heavy cruisers BB’s and Cvs ?

Well, I'm enjoying playing British CAs. Don't find them boring at all.

British BBs, Lion is too unreliable for my taste, Monarch's decent enough though.

[RO-RN]
Players
944 posts
13,647 battles

British BB need a rework,they should have been quite similar to warspite:

-Give them supercruiser dispersion ellipse coupled with 2.0 sigma and above moderate DPM.

-Good AP with improved AP (50 degrees but on anything that has 406 or lower not higher) and better penetration than the 420 mm guns founded on GK and FDG but not better than repuplique or any 457 BB and above.

-They keep the good rudder shift and concealment

-survivability remains the same(same 32 mm all around and citadel but so does the super heal)

-GET RID OF THE BRAIN DEAD HE. Give them the same HE as the americans BB(no improved penetration,no stupid fire chance no absurd alpha damage)

But instead they released a boring brain dead un fun line to play.

If they ever rework this line then I suggest them to get rid of thunderer or implement a global change regarding sniper BB,give it 25 mm bow and stern like slava and get rid of the stupid HE.

also WHY DOES A BB GET BETTER RUDDER SHIFT THAN A DESTROYERS WTF?

• Cool 5

[S-O-M]
Players
657 posts
2 hours ago, Animalul2012 said:

British BB need a rework,they should have been quite similar to warspite:

-Give them supercruiser dispersion ellipse coupled with 2.0 sigma and above moderate DPM.

-Good AP with improved AP (50 degrees but on anything that has 406 or lower not higher) and better penetration than the 420 mm guns founded on GK and FDG but not better than repuplique or any 457 BB and above.

-They keep the good rudder shift and concealment

-survivability remains the same(same 32 mm all around and citadel but so does the super heal)

-GET RID OF THE BRAIN DEAD HE. Give them the same HE as the americans BB(no improved penetration,no stupid fire chance no absurd alpha damage)

But instead they released a boring brain dead un fun line to play.

If they ever rework this line then I suggest them to get rid of thunderer or implement a global change regarding sniper BB,give it 25 mm bow and stern like slava and get rid of the stupid HE.

also WHY DOES A BB GET BETTER RUDDER SHIFT THAN A DESTROYERS WTF?

Spot on, it’s the most boring bb line there is, with the exception of warspite even the premiums are anal, vanguard, Tirpitz or Massa anybody 😂🤣.  

If there was a dedicated permanent 1vs1 bb mode would any one choose a Brit BB ?.

Yes lion does have HE resistance, discovered that when 2 Friesland tried frying my arse, one ran one didn’t 😉.  Only for me to be taken out by a Mushy.

Re Brit heavies I got to drake and thought exactly as I do now with BB’s 🤔, and yet I have Edinburgh and Minotaur 😉

I would do a poll of the most Boring in game BB nation but we all know it’s not even close, it would seem only the Conq is the exception?.

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
32 minutes ago, MadBadDave said:

If there was a dedicated permanent 1vs1 bb mode would any one choose a Brit BB ?.

Yes. Actually, there's crap all reason to pick any other nation's BBs in a dedicated 1v1 BB mode. Just like in a 1v1 cruiser mode, you'd have no reason to not pick British heavy cruisers. The ability to just ignore angling because you can switch to HE is just insanely powerful and if you do not need to account for any second ship, angling is a piece of cake, heal is insane and you'll get the first shot most likely, because almost noone outspots you on most tiers. Exceptions are T7 and T6, because there you still get overmatched regularly, but Monarch and Vanguard will never get overmatched in such a mode, Lion and Conqueror get only overmatched by the Musashi/Yamato/Shikishima, but being challenged only by one BB in the lineup that itself can get countered by others makes it pretty solid still. 

• Cool 1

Players
920 posts
6,026 battles

fat cruisers that ate all the pies and drank all the pints.

that super heal? just like a drunk getting up like it didnt just get a kicking.

[S-O-M]
Players
657 posts
19 minutes ago, HaachamaShipping said:

Yes. Actually, there's crap all reason to pick any other nation's BBs in a dedicated 1v1 BB mode. Just like in a 1v1 cruiser mode, you'd have no reason to not pick British heavy cruisers. The ability to just ignore angling because you can switch to HE is just insanely powerful and if you do not need to account for any second ship, angling is a piece of cake, heal is insane and you'll get the first shot most likely, because almost noone outspots you on most tiers. Exceptions are T7 and T6, because there you still get overmatched regularly, but Monarch and Vanguard will never get overmatched in such a mode, Lion and Conqueror get only overmatched by the Musashi/Yamato/Shikishima, but being challenged only by one BB in the lineup that itself can get countered by others makes it pretty solid still. 

And yet you’ve played Bismarck 215 times and Monarch 79 times, as for heavies 54 in Goliath and 114 in Hindy, you got only Vanguard 2 weeks ago and yet at the same time got Baltimore, within days your secured 7 kills, which is a great achievement (I’ve only got 6 kills with Bismarck), so if you had to choose 3 out of the following what would you choose; Bismarck, Hindy and Baltimore or Monarch, Goliath and Vanguard ?.   And that’s without going into the other nations, if Brit BBs and heavies are not the worst what is the worst nation ?.

[CHEFT]
Players
12,569 posts
9,841 battles
44 minutes ago, HaachamaShipping said:

Yes. Actually, there's crap all reason to pick any other nation's BBs in a dedicated 1v1 BB mode.

Why would you pick a BB with a citadel? Assuming we are talking about a 1v1 mode like we had, where you actually have to get in the caps in order not to lose. Like Massa would just driveby a Monarch for easy kill, while Monarch cant do the same. Massa even has the better repair party.

Not to mention Tirpitz with torps.

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
22 minutes ago, MadBadDave said:

And yet you’ve played Bismarck 215 times and Monarch 79 times, as for heavies 54 in Goliath and 114 in Hindy, you got only Vanguard 2 weeks ago and yet at the same time got Baltimore, within days your secured 7 kills, which is a great achievement (I’ve only got 6 kills with Bismarck), so if you had to choose 3 out of the following what would you choose; Bismarck, Hindy and Baltimore or Monarch, Goliath and Vanguard ?.   And that’s without going into the other nations, if Brit BBs and heavies are not the worst what is the worst nation ?.

Maybe because Hindenburg was the first T10 I got years ago, Goliath was the latest T10 cruiser I unlocked like a month or two ago? Similarly Bismarck was the first T8 I ever got, Monarch I unlocked much later. It is kinda hard for a ship to compete with others fairly when one just exists for far longer in the port.

As for your choices, you are comparing 1 BB, 2 cruisers with 2 BBs and 1 cruiser. Given the cruiser in the first lineup is T8, with no heal, it's pretty clear to see which is the better choice. But even if just as three ships you take into randoms, Monarch, Goliath and Vanguard are three ships I do play a good bit, though Monarch saw a bit less action since I got Vanguard a few weeks ago and I'm not playing British BB atm, as missions require other BBs. If I could grind out the directives in Vanguard and Thunderer, I'd likely do.

1 minute ago, DFens_666 said:

Why would you pick a BB with a citadel? Assuming we are talking about a 1v1 mode like we had, where you actually have to get in the caps in order not to lose. Like Massa would just driveby a Monarch for easy kill, while Monarch cant do the same. Massa even has the better repair party.

Not to mention Tirpitz with torps.

Monarch outspots Massa, turns around, moves away, burns it down. You can't cap if you get reset every 25s. Obviously if you just rush in like a potato, the ships are crap, but it's 1v1.

• Cool 2

[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts

It strange the most feared and capable BB around in both WW's which most navies build their ships as a counter or equal to are depicted in this game as pityful fire slingers with turrets that need WD40 skill.

And you can figure when more modern ( late WWII )  BB returned to 381 mm they must have been quite adequate for the job.

Players
1,270 posts
4 hours ago, MadBadDave said:

Please tell me the grind to get conq is worth it. 

Funny thing is. There really isn't that much difference between lion and Conq. Basically the same ship in every way, except that the Conq has 12 guns and not 9 like Lion. So you get more shots landed on target because of the extra guns. Same gun dispersion as far I'm aware with both ships.

Players
1,270 posts

Vanguard is not a bad Brit BB. I took a captain all the way to 19pts just playing it on that ship, so yeah I played it a lot.

Guns are accurate (one of the best BB at tier 8 for gun accuracy) and rudder shift is very good for a BB to avoid getting cit hits. It has 20k range at T8, which is okay and is a fun BB for annoying those T10 BB players starting fires on them. :fish_haloween:

• Cool 1

[WONLY]
Players
431 posts
18,046 battles
4 hours ago, MadBadDave said:

I decided to go back into Grinding Brit BB’s, originally I stopped at the Monarch because it’s the worst T8 BB in the game, no ? Bismarck, North Carolina, Vlad etc,etc or Monarch, exactly it’s crap.   I got lion Having loved FDG (preferring it over GK), enjoyed Izumo and getting the disappointment known as Iowa, (I prefer North Carolina), Lion; dull as dishwater springs to mind, what exactly is the point of Lion, a more apt name would be HMS Sloth,  even the slated Izumo is far better/more fun.   Please tell me the grind to get conq is worth it. 

Is there a reason why the Russian Biased WG has given us boring Brit heavy cruisers BB’s and Cvs ?.  Lion reminds me a lot of Albermarle; what’s the friggin point.  Isn’t this game supposed to be fun 😉.

Yes lion has a super heal, yes it has a very low detection value and yes it starts fire, but when you see 4 dds a game and dire secondaries ? Point ?,   now if it had 11km secondaries things would be interesting.

Anyone actually like Lion ?

I recently grinded the line and i think from T6 onwards they're all very strong. KGV is obviously the most broken ship.

Monarch is a really strong T8 BB. I don't understand why it has such a bad reputation. Maybe because, just like the QE, it has to be played with AP, not HE, so no braindead gameplay for this one.

Nine 381s on 25 sec reload, good stealth, decent AA, improved repair party and vs. angled ships you still have decent HE. Doesn't sound bad and didn't felt bad for me. But you have to work for your damage and play closer to the enemy since your AP pen isn't that great from long range. So proper angling and using the concealment to your advantage is essential.

Lion is very strong for a T9 but just unfun to play because of the wonky dispersion and the horrible firing arc of the back turret. It still has the 419s, absurd fire chance, good conceal and the superheal. 

Conq is worth it, yes.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

Players
1,270 posts
2 hours ago, MadBadDave said:

Spot on, it’s the most boring bb line there is, with the exception of warspite

I think Warspite was the first premium ship I ever bought.

I really couldn't go back to playing that ship again though. The slow speed it does eventually becomes too excruciating. You can get out that ship and paddle faster.

[R3B3L]
Players
1,328 posts
32,282 battles
2 hours ago, Beastofwar said:

It strange the most feared and capable BB around in both WW's which ...

Most numerous yes, very well trained yes. KGV-class was ok-ish, QE+R outdated but numerous (10 units) plus some CB´s. Most capable per-ship alone... not so much

with turrets that need WD40 skill.

irl the traverse time of the 381s was 180 seconds (or three full minutes). In-game they already got a lot of WD40

when more modern ( late WWII )  BB returned to 381 mm they must have been quite adequate for the job.

It was an emergency-solution.

- The 356s of KGV were considered insufficient by many high ranking officers in the RN.

- The 406-es were not available yet / the needed infrastructure wasn´t ready yet.

- The 381s of the old battle-cruisers were lying around and there was plenty of ammo for them in bases around the world, so RN bolted them onto Vanguards hull.

[-TPF-]
Players
4,576 posts
18,954 battles
36 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

And you can figure when more modern ( late WWII )  BB returned to 381 mm they must have been quite adequate for the job.

Vanguard was needed quickly more than anything else. She was a classic bitza, the RN used guns they had in reserve, and where they had spares and ammunition. 

2 hours ago, MadBadDave said:

Spot on, it’s the most boring bb line there is, with the exception of warspite even the premiums are anal, 

Hood and Nelson aren't boring, really. And I like the Battlecruiser feel of KGV and Monarch. I think that somewhere down the line there is a Tier VIII Lion class premium with 16 inch guns and hard hitting AP for the Warspite fans (call it Temeraire, please WG), but other wise the line seems fine to me.

• Cool 2

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,804 posts
6,428 battles

All I am going to say is that I dare anyone here to call the potential firepower that the Thunderer has at her disposal, with HE or with AP boring.

• Cool 2

[CHEFT]
Players
12,569 posts
9,841 battles
1 hour ago, HaachamaShipping said:

Monarch outspots Massa, turns around, moves away, burns it down. You can't cap if you get reset every 25s. Obviously if you just rush in like a potato, the ships are crap, but it's 1v1.

Atleast in the 1v1 we had it was basicly impossible, since 1 cap always had island cover, resulting in the kiter actually having no choice but to go in and stop the cap. Won 4/4 with Hipper against Massas/Tirpitz's, twice tried the tactic you described. They went in a bit, tried to let their secondaries work. I got behind an island and got the Cap. Result was they had to move in, and take my torps.

Essentially Monarch has the same issue, since it has no torps and a Citadel.

Players
1,270 posts

A Monarch is really no match for a Massa 1 v1. Best a monarch can hope for is using hit and run tactics and bank on burning a Massa to the ground before he gets killed by AP from the Massa. The chances of that though are not good for a Monarch.

[S-O-M]
Players
657 posts
3 hours ago, HaachamaShipping said:

Maybe because Hindenburg was the first T10 I got years ago, Goliath was the latest T10 cruiser I unlocked like a month or two ago? Similarly Bismarck was the first T8 I ever got, Monarch I unlocked much later. It is kinda hard for a ship to compete with others fairly when one just exists for far longer in the port.

As for your choices, you are comparing 1 BB, 2 cruisers with 2 BBs and 1 cruiser. Given the cruiser in the first lineup is T8, with no heal, it's pretty clear to see which is the better choice. But even if just as three ships you take into randoms, Monarch, Goliath and Vanguard are three ships I do play a good bit, though Monarch saw a bit less action since I got Vanguard a few weeks ago and I'm not playing British BB atm, as missions require other BBs. If I could grind out the directives in Vanguard and Thunderer, I'd likely do.

So with all your games, experience and skill you’d pick monarch over Tirp, Massa, vlad, Bismarck and North Carolina, etc, etc.

Goliath or Hindy tough one 😂🤣, how many Goliath’s do you see a day ?.

admit it Brit BBs are as boring as hell, average AA, no torps, can’t brawl, but can start fires, heal and low detection.   

conq and thunderer maybe the pinnacle of the line, but as a player I prefer to be in close and mixing it, not sat back spamming he from the back fence.

• Boring 1

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
2 minutes ago, MadBadDave said:

So with all your games, experience and skill you’d pick monarch over Tirp, Massa, vlad, Bismarck and North Carolina, etc, etc.

Yes. Because as long as you can protect your side, it's fine. And ffs, why pick a Vlad? So you can have all the citadel, just without the HE?

1 hour ago, DFens_666 said:

Essentially Monarch has the same issue, since it has no torps and a Citadel.

Depends really on map design, but generally, ambushing with a Hipper is likely easier than with a Massa.

6 minutes ago, MadBadDave said:

Goliath or Hindy tough one 😂🤣, how many Goliath’s do you see a day ?.

Not many, but I really don't care too much, just means fewer people know how to deal with it.

14 minutes ago, MadBadDave said:

admit it Brit BBs are as boring as hell, average AA, no torps, can’t brawl, but can start fires, heal and low detection.  

For you, maybe. But "interesting", just like "fun" is something that is up to the individual player. If you don't like a line, doesn't mean it's bad. I didn't like Lyon or Normandie, as they felt absolutely stupid. They still are good ships though and I know people who enjoy them a lot. I also don't like playing Stalingrad or Moskva much. I prefer ships like Goliath, Yoshino, or at times Hindenburg, that are reliable in the damage output and at least tanky enough to make some plays if necessary. Very comfortable to play. And Goliath is slightly more enjoyable than Hindenburg, when I want extra tankiness instead of range.

27 minutes ago, MadBadDave said:

conq and thunderer maybe the pinnacle of the line, but as a player I prefer to be in close and mixing it, not sat back spamming he from the back fence.

Just because you can doesn't mean you have to. But your preference. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[S-O-M]
Players
657 posts
4 hours ago, HaachamaShipping said:

Yes. Because as long as you can protect your side, it's fine. And ffs, why pick a Vlad? So you can have all the citadel, just without the HE?

Depends really on map design, but generally, ambushing with a Hipper is likely easier than with a Massa.

Not many, but I really don't care too much, just means fewer people know how to deal with it.

For you, maybe. But "interesting", just like "fun" is something that is up to the individual player. If you don't like a line, doesn't mean it's bad. I didn't like Lyon or Normandie, as they felt absolutely stupid. They still are good ships though and I know people who enjoy them a lot. I also don't like playing Stalingrad or Moskva much. I prefer ships like Goliath, Yoshino, or at times Hindenburg, that are reliable in the damage output and at least tanky enough to make some plays if necessary. Very comfortable to play. And Goliath is slightly more enjoyable than Hindenburg, when I want extra tankiness instead of range.

Just because you can doesn't mean you have to. But your preference. 

I look forward to seeing your stats in six months and still see if monarch and the other Brit BBs float yer bote 😉

in Dec last year you defended the lion and monarch as you’ve done today, total games played in Lion 24, a very popular ship 🤣😂.  And yet in the last 2 weeks you’ve played 26 Baltimore games.  And yes Balti’s a lot better than Albermarle.

[S-O-M]
Players
657 posts
3 hours ago, HaachamaShipping said:
3 hours ago, MadBadDave said:

Not many, but I really don't care too much, just means fewer people know how to deal with

Errr sink it 😗. But thanks for confirming my suspicions re your posts and Brit Boring Battleships, keep stirring the spoon. X

• Bad 1

Players
259 posts
2,984 battles
10 hours ago, HaachamaShipping said:

That would lose every 1 v 1 game due to the cap mechanics. There's a reason why the Tirpitz dominated it and noone played the Monarch.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this