Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 1 battles to post in this section.
Robber_Baron

Camouflage on Swedish destroyers

1 comment in this topic

Players
1,318 posts
7,571 battles

I have a weakness for historical camouflages in the game. Camo never worn by the ship or class can be a dealbreaker for me especially with premiums, if I do a little investment in the game it better be accurate (sorry Wichita, but that was a missed opportunity). Now, I missed the initial release of the Swedish destroyers, but was fascinated by their camouflage schemes. Kinda because looking globally, camouflaged ships were not common practice anymore in the Cold War, but Sweden did it at least on their cruisers and some destroyers. As it turns out the camouflage on the Smäland is kinda accurate if you allow sisterships being mixed:

unknown.png?width=1389&height=677

This is the Halland. I'm not familiar enough with the class to distinguish differences between the two ships, but it's reason enough for me to continue grinding free XP.

But for the tech tree ships/classes I can't figure out if the patterns of their permaflage were used IRL. For most other ships it's somewhat easier to figure out, possibly because of the large focus of ships who fought in WW2 by historians and scale modelers. Can anyone around here help me with this? Were any of these patterns used IRL by the ships or their sisters in the same respective classes?

I've found this picture of Hälsingland, an Östergötland-class, and especially at the aft it looks like some dazzle has been applied, giving me reason to think there were more Cold War-era destroyers camouflaged than just Halland, maybe with different schemes during different time periods as well.

sw_dd_48.gif

Now, ingame they look like this:

Halland-class

Halland-class.png

Östergötland-class

Ostergotland-class.png

Öland-class

Oland-class.png

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this