Xxx_HuisBaasBob_xxX

Roma surprises me.

29 comments in this topic

Players
6 posts
545 battles

Maybe it is because i have low standards for gun accuracy.having primarly played German and Japanese BB lines and not yet have reached the accurate ones on the Japanese(nagato is getting there). but the guns on Roma are doing great for me. sure you get the occasional meme dispersion dice roll, but on the other end you get not expected devestating citadels.

I use her as a stalking battleship because of her concealment mostly between 11km-18km. only using the guns beyond those ranges at the start of the game with spot plane for sneaky broadsides. her gameplay loop basicly comes down to sneaking up. fire on ships that don't expect it,angle to receive return fire(that barely does any damage in return because troll armor) and go into hiding again. rince and repeat. carriers spotting you with planes and destroyers that come to close can ruin this but with some smart angling the ship is very forgiving. and her overal mobility helps in dodging plane payload.her citadel isn,t noticeable at all. only coming into play when catched out of position.

I like her more then tirpitz. not saying tirpitz is a bad ship. but the in your face playstyle of tirpitz never really connected with me. there is just to much that can go wrong. like getting focused down by multiple ships in CQC or getting mass torped by smart DD players. but tirpitz unlike the roma can do the damage for you if it goes right with her massive array of secondary,s. while roma,s secondary,s look nicer but are utter shite performance wise.

Is the general consensus of the Roma in this community that it is still a Mehish battleship overall? because currently how it performs for me. she feels like a gudboot. sure she has downsides like crap AA, Mehish to Crap secondary and unreliable dispersion. but anything else is beyond average for me.

[CATS]
Players
30,072 posts
15,430 battles
7 minutes ago, Xxx_HuisBaasBob_xxX said:

Is the general consensus of the Roma in this community that it is still a Mehish battleship overall? because currently how it performs for me. she feels like a gudboot. sure she has downsides like crap AA, Mehish to Crap secondary and unreliable dispersion. but anything else is beyond average for me.

Roma is extremly tough and has the 380mm guns with the best penetration in the game. Only the dispersion is problematic, which is countered by the good concealment, which allows you to get close.

• Cool 2

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles

Roma is one of those BBs that work best by just staying alive long enough to rack up damage and be a constant threat. Even if you aren't devstriking things, enemies have to consider the possibility and Roma is very tanky when played right.

Players
1,158 posts

I bought Roma about two weeks ago on a recommendation, I really enjoy playing this ship,it is what it is, No stupid watching paint dry reload time, No hamster powered turret traverse, No gimpy SAP...Compared to what keeps hitting the premium shop nowdays I think She;s a Blast to play and I find myself Smiling and Enjoying the game again, Now for me that's Pricless Retro WOW's :Smile_teethhappy:

Players
6 posts
545 battles
18 minutes ago, motor_g_b said:

I bought Roma about two weeks ago on a recommendation, I really enjoy playing this ship,it is what it is, No stupid watching paint dry reload time, No hamster powered turret traverse, No gimpy SAP...Compared to what keeps hitting the premium shop nowdays I think She;s a Blast to play and I find myself Smiling and Enjoying the game again, Now for me that's Pricless Retro WOW's :Smile_teethhappy:

49 minutes ago, HaachamaShipping said:

Roma is one of those BBs that work best by just staying alive long enough to rack up damage and be a constant threat. Even if you aren't devstriking things, enemies have to consider the possibility and Roma is very tanky when played right.

She is also one of those ships you don't see that often. which cause  many people to lack the knowledge how to properly deal with her. also she is entertaining enough to keep taking into battle after battle because of her variable playstyle instead of the backline sniping many BB,s subscribe to.

• Cool 1

[THESO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
4,005 posts
10,174 battles

Yeah, I don't understand how its dispersion became such a meme....I won the ship in a contest and I have to say that it's awesome. Far more accurate than german BBs, even though it's supposed to have an even worse dispersion according to most. It's basically US dispersion.

• Cool 1

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
5,030 posts
22,322 battles
38 minutes ago, domen3 said:

Yeah, I don't understand how its dispersion became such a meme....I won the ship in a contest and I have to say that it's awesome. Far more accurate than german BBs, even though it's supposed to have an even worse dispersion according to most. It's basically US dispersion.

Roma has almost the same dispersion at max range and sigma as the Monarch.

Roma is my favorite ship, it can tank Yamatos, yeet cruisers, and it can giggle when AP bombers try to sink it.

• Cool 1

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,756 posts
6,312 battles
2 hours ago, TohtoriP said:

Simple question: If you have Massa B is there anything Roma does better?

Stealthier, faster in a straight line, considerably more agile too.

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
3 hours ago, TohtoriP said:

Simple question: If you have Massa B is there anything Roma does better?

Roma is a different deal. Tankier if you don't show broadside, great shell velocity and pen, great turret traverse and great concealment. Obviously, Massa is a very strong ship which has likely more carry potential, but Roma is a solid ship that can stay alive and just amass a good bit of damage over time. And if you find enemy BBs showing broadside, the guns can be pretty brutal, with their pen and short flight time on the shells (in contrast to Massa's 700 m/s slow [edited]shells).

• Cool 2

Players
1,158 posts
On 9/12/2020 at 2:33 PM, motor_g_b said:

Just one thing I didn't mention, WTF were they smoking when they designed that special Cammo and is that a beer can or an icecream for a mast :Smile_ohmy:

[FAILS]
Players
666 posts
21,492 battles

Roma is incredibly tough when angled and dead when not, so she rewards proper angling. She also has good maneuverablity and fantastic concealment and therefore is great at midrange when she can slip in and out of detection easily or sneak up on ships. Of course with a carrier in play this greatest advantage of hers goes down the drain (she also has miserable AA). Guns are good and bad at once. Ballistics are great which makes for easy aiming, penetration is awesome (which can mean good damage on broadside BBs and very slightly angled cruisers, but also all the overpens in the world on broadside cruisers). Accuracy she has not.

Overall, she is very fun to play (also, no gimmicks!) as long as you sail her with the mindest of not expecting to hit where you aim. That way, she will just pleasantly surprise you occasionally ;)

Another big double bonus: Roma existed and is one of the most gorgeous ships in the game (as long as you don't use or hide the beer-can camo).

• Cool 3

Players
1,270 posts
9 hours ago, BruceRKF said:

Overall, she is very fun to play (also, no gimmicks!)

Well, not exactly true. Roma has quite a few secondary guns that might tempt people into buying the ship, but they certainly "are a gimmick" on it when you look at the 15mm pen rate on them single secondary (even for DD you require 16mm to pen them), so they are good for nothing really, neither do the secondary have decent range. Worth noting also those single gun 90mm secondary also have a long reload of 4 seconds when you compare them to lets say Bart or Gascan that has twin gun 100mm secondary with a faster 3.6 s reload. Seems odd the single gun 90mm secondary on Roma should have a longer reload time than the twin gun 100mm secondary on the French BBs.

Yet, Roma does resemble a Bismark with all them secondary guns per-side.

WG Staff
2,330 posts
916 battles
19 hours ago, BruceRKF said:
19 hours ago, BruceRKF said:

Roma existed and is one of the most gorgeous ships in the game (as long as you don't use or hide the beer-can camo).

Exactly, for us Italians, she is one of the most representative ships, historically wise. The brother of my grandfather was actually serving on the Roma, unfortunately, while my grandpa was allocated to the Duca d'Aosta. 

And she is very beautiful. I did a drawing of her a few times ago (without the giant Oktoberfest-carrier, of course :Smile_veryhappy:) if you want you can download at this link!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hqa7eho89zy28bd/Roma- Per i Capitani di WoWs.jpg?dl=0

• Cool 6

Players
550 posts
9 minutes ago, TheWarJaC said:

And she is very beautiful. I did a drawing of her a few times ago (without the giant Oktoberfest-carrier, of course :Smile_veryhappy:) if you want you can download at this link!

That's really beautiful, you do her justice.

• Cool 1

WG Staff
2,330 posts
916 battles
2 minutes ago, thisismalacoda said:

That's really beautiful, you do her justice.

Thanks a lot! At least I tried to, it was almost a family-business, after all  😉

• Cool 1

Players
2,791 posts
33,218 battles
24 minutes ago, TheWarJaC said:

Exactly, for us Italians, she is one of the most representative ships, historically wise. The brother of my grandfather was actually serving on the Roma, unfortunately, while my grandpa was allocated to the Duca d'Aosta. 

You've got some skills, very nice. :cap_like:

• Cool 1

WG Staff
2,330 posts
916 battles
6 minutes ago, Execute0rder66 said:

You've got some skills, very nice. :cap_like:

Ahah just the right amount, thanks! I am glad you like it 😉

• Cool 1

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
5,030 posts
22,322 battles
10 hours ago, MRGTB said:

Well, not exactly true. Roma has quite a few secondary guns that might tempt people into buying the ship, but they certainly "are a gimmick" on it when you look at the 15mm pen rate on them single secondary (even for DD you require 16mm to pen them), so they are good for nothing really, neither do the secondary have decent range. Worth noting also those single gun 90mm secondary also have a long reload of 4 seconds when you compare them to lets say Bart or Gascan that has twin gun 100mm secondary with a faster 3.6 s reload. Seems odd the single gun 90mm secondary on Roma should have a longer reload time than the twin gun 100mm secondary on the French BBs.

Yet, Roma does resemble a Bismark with all them secondary guns per-side.

No sane person specs for secondaries on the Roma, the ship is just not built for them. And fun is a very subjective perception.

20 hours ago, BruceRKF said:

Another big double bonus: Roma existed and is one of the most gorgeous ships in the game (as long as you don't use or hide the beer-can camo).

The interiors of the Vittorio Veneto's were even better. On reddit there was a thread with a gallery of them.

Inside they looked more like cabin cruise ships.

36 minutes ago, TheWarJaC said:

First of all, the drawing is really great. But what I really want to know is if your granduncle survived the sinking. Never mind, saw the "unfortunately".

PS: It's funny how on EU we have very few people connected to famous ships, while on NA every second user is related to a WW2 veteran who served on one of the ships in game.

• Cool 1

WG Staff
2,330 posts
916 battles
12 minutes ago, Aragathor said:
1 minute ago, Aragathor said:

First of all, the drawing is really great. But what I really want to know is if your granduncle survived the sinking.

Thanks a lot, Captain!

The brother of my grandfather, Mario, was allocated to the Roma; he didn't survive, unfortunately. As I said, luckily, my Granpa was serving on the Duca as a radio operator. Otherwise, most likely, we wouldn't be having this conversation 😀.

• Cool 1

[FAILS]
Players
666 posts
21,492 battles
2 hours ago, TheWarJaC said:

I am German, and most of the German ships are quite good-looking as well (though I may be biased), but the Italians have on average the most beautiful ships, imo. There is just so much right about the proportions. The only Italian ship that looks a bit wrong to my eye is Brindisi, the rest range from pretty to absolutely gorgeous.

And a very nice drawing of the Roma! Would you mind if I saved the picture?

• Cool 1

WG Staff
2,330 posts
916 battles
4 minutes ago, BruceRKF said:

I am German, and most of the German ships are quite good-looking as well (though I may be biased), but the Italians have on average the most beautiful ships, imo. There is just so much right about the proportions. The only Italian ship that looks a bit wrong to my eye is Brindisi, the rest range from pretty to absolutely gorgeous.

And a very nice drawing of the Roma! Would you mind if I saved the picture?

Aahah, I think that everybody is a bit biased when we talk about our own countries. But German ships are gorgeous too: one of my favorite look-wise is the Agir, for instance.

Yes, sure that you can save it! I shared it for you guys 😉

• Cool 1

[URUC]
Players
323 posts

I don't own the Roma, actually i have the Monarch and i feel like concealment is overrated. 

As long as planes and DDs can spot me, i rarely can get close enough to shoot because of that 18 km range, while Bismarck has 21 and N.Carolina 23 range.

Buy it only because i'm italian? Did that with the cheaper  Duca D'Aosta - and rarely plaing it.

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
5,030 posts
22,322 battles
59 minutes ago, S_h_i_v_a said:

I don't own the Roma, actually i have the Monarch and i feel like concealment is overrated. 

As long as planes and DDs can spot me, i rarely can get close enough to shoot because of that 18 km range, while Bismarck has 21 and N.Carolina 23 range.

Buy it only because i'm italian? Did that with the cheaper  Duca D'Aosta - and rarely plaing it.

Concealment is good when you need to reposition to avoid crossfires. Roma is great because once you do that, it becomes really hard to delete her. Monarch, with it's T7 HP pool and inferior armor just doesn't benefit from it.

So it's two pairs of different shoes. If Monarch had a super heal like Lion, then concealment would allow it to get back into fighting shape and rejoin the battle.

As to the Ducas (both ships are in the same position), they were released with very mediocre characteristics and then heavily nerfed with the IFHE changes. WG made them throwaway premiums to stuff Christmas boxes, instead of being fun.

Almost no one plays them anymore and WG doesn't care.

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
1 hour ago, Aragathor said:

Concealment is good when you need to reposition to avoid crossfires. Roma is great because once you do that, it becomes really hard to delete her. Monarch, with it's T7 HP pool and inferior armor just doesn't benefit from it.

So it's two pairs of different shoes. If Monarch had a super heal like Lion, then concealment would allow it to get back into fighting shape and rejoin the battle.

I disagree. Monarch has an improved repair, with a great ability to restore damage and on shorter CD, allowing it to get more potential hp than Roma. The combination of great heal and lower base hp means the ship is worse off against cits, but it is better off against fires. And Monarch isn't exactly easier to citadel for any ship other than Yamato-class, given like Roma it has a higher citadel, but a very good belt.

And for Monarch, getting closer in isn't even as disadvantagous, given that unlike Roma, you don't get into the overpen zone, thanks to British short-fuze AP. Also, while Lion has a superheal, it has tier for tier worse guns than Monarch. The dpm is nothing special, the accuracy is nothing special, the AP is so poor, there's a reason why it goes back to HE spam (and why HE spammers consider it as good again after the Monarch).

Spoiler

mfD2aiW.png

Source: LittleWhiteMouse's review of Odin.