You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Inappropriate_noob

I didn't want to post this, but....

56 comments in this topic

Players
3,554 posts

Cruisers! What is the  magic formula to succeed in these, I know not all of them are the same , but seriously,  just a five minute battle in these things,  going to go right back down to low tiers, except even there the battles will be short, so not sure what I will learn,surely to tactic cannot be just find a rock and sit behind it, these ships are so frustrating, no armour, and almost no point.

• Cool 1

[THESO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
4,005 posts
10,174 battles

That really depends on what cruiser you're talking about as they're very different.

• Cool 4

[L4GG]
Players
3,470 posts
11,259 battles
9 minutes ago, Inappropriate_noob said:

Cruisers! What is the  magic formula to succeed in these, I know not all of them are the same , but seriously,  just a five minute battle in these things,  going to go right back down to low tiers, except even there the battles will be short, so not sure what I will learn,surely to tactic cannot be just find a rock and sit behind it, these ships are so frustrating, no armour, and almost no point.

It depends on which ship you are talking about, what you are use to., what you normally do with them.

sitting behind an island it's for US cruisers.

you must find a ship that you are comfortable with and normally your survivability it's in target selection and your capability for dodging and duking and distance to have time to do that successfully.

Most of them you won't angle you want to evade the incoming fire. 

• Cool 2

[WONLY]
Players
431 posts
17,807 battles
17 minutes ago, Inappropriate_noob said:

Awareness. Knowing who's aiming at you and how to not give them broadside. Taking advantage of concealment and islands.

12 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

Positioning, dodging, cover. And not getting spotted at any point above Tier VI. 

What? Most cruisers are doing just fine in open water. 

• Cool 5

Players
3,554 posts

Well if no suitable rock is around I try to remain mobile, darting around like an oversized DD, as for not being spotted, that is almost impossible, for if I go with e BB's and the DD's I find myself cursing that the enemy is out of range, secondly so many teams do the turnaround so that all of a sudden you are on your lonesome, you then have to turn hoping the miss your big fat broadside (sometimes they even do)

If I did the hide behind a island thing, either a) I do not contribute in any way to the battle or b) some clever so and so lobs shells over the island, landing miraculously on my deck

29 minutes ago, domen3 said:

That really depends on what cruiser you're talking about as they're very different.

That could be most of them, at all tiers on this account, a few on my alt, results are almost always the same though, yet here is the kicker, the higher tier Cruisers have heals, and I seem to have a slight advantage over lower tiers when I play them.

Players
3,554 posts
19 minutes ago, Butterdoll said:

It depends on which ship you are talking about, what you are use to., what you normally do with them.

sitting behind an island it's for US cruisers.

you must find a ship that you are comfortable with and normally your survivability it's in target selection and your capability for dodging and duking and distance to have time to do that successfully.

Most of them you won't angle you want to evade the incoming fire. 

Yeah I think slowly the dodging part is coming into play, works better when some of your team are actually with you though:Smile_veryhappy:

[CHEFT]
Players
12,417 posts
9,841 battles
26 minutes ago, Marble_Eyes said:

What? Most cruisers are doing just fine in open water. 

Flamu said in one of his recent videos, that a Cruiser, which can shoot but cant be shot at in return is proper playstyle :cap_old: Definetely a bad statement in regard to Cruisers as a whole. Imagine a Baltimore in T6-8 MM against smaller caliber BBs and you can just bowtank them. Not attracting some fire might be a huge misplay, and damage, which might be distributed among your entire team gets only reflected towards a few ships which actually can be shot at, while all Cruisers park at islands.

Apart from that:

34 minutes ago, Marble_Eyes said:

Awareness

This is the key to success.

• Cool 2

[WONLY]
Players
431 posts
17,807 battles
1 minute ago, DFens_666 said:

Flamu said in one of his recent videos, that a Cruiser, which can shoot but cant be shot at in return is proper playstyle :cap_old: 

That statement might be true if the average teammate was somehow competent. 
But you can't rely on the average DD to scout properly. Same as you can't rely on your average BB to not insta-repair the first fire or turn full broadside after overextending. So you actually want to draw fire in cruisers if you're confident enough to survive it, just to save all the bad players from getting shot. That means your personal score might suffer but you're more likely to win the game in return.

• Cool 3

[I-J-N]
Players
6,229 posts

Some people prefer quick battles, or so I've heard pointed out on the forums at least... I usually would like a 15 to 20 min battle. But if I'm in a hurry, a cruiser will do nicely for a quick 2 min battle.

Cruisers are tricky unless you do what most people seem to do, park yourself behind an island, use smoke and start spamming a BB and leave your team mates to their own devices. I rather like to play most cruisers as support ships which, IMO, is what they are supposed to be. That doesn't always make sense in terms of team play though, like if you have a full AA build cruiser. As for support, which ships would it be best to support? Sometimes I think it's your DD's, sometimes your BB's. But as @domen3 pointed out, there are a lot of different cruisers, and I guess some of them are more suited for one thing than the other.

Players
660 posts
27,766 battles

You can play Cruisers from the Cover of Islands but that is not the only Way you can play them.

If you want to do open water Gunboating then you need Priority Target as a Captain Skill and every Rudder Skill that you can get.

Because you need to do hard Maneuvers if a Battleship targets you.

Heavy Cruisers and Large Cruisers (Alaska and Co) are also a Threat if they got your Broadside.

Some Cruisers like the British light Cruisers have Smoke that you can use to hide your Ship while shooting at the Enemy..

Cruisers are great Supporters and can do almost everything.

They can kill Destroyers when the Destroyers are spotted. Sometimes the Cruiser spots the Destroyer with Radar

They can fight other Cruiser.

They can help fighting enemy Battleships

They can give AA-Support.

There are 2 Types of Cruisers. 

Light Cruisers with Guns that are 155mm or Smaller and Heavy Cruisers with Guns that are bigger than 155 mm.

Light Cruisers are known for their fast Reload wich makes them very good at shooting He while the AP usually lacks the Penetration to be effective at long Range.

Heavy Cruiser have a longer Reload but they can hit the Citadell of other Cruisers even at long Range if these Cruisers are Broadside.

• Cool 2

[S-O-M]
Players
657 posts
2 hours ago, domen3 said:

Spot on, and tbh it’s not until you’ve played a lot of different cruisers that you get gud in the cruiser class, me personally I prefer open water raiding cruisers that can torment the other classes,  that’s why Baltimore and Mino are left in port while Atago, Eugen and Hindy are out at Sea, Edi’s also usable as a raider.  

if you wanna know how to play a smoke less cruiser, play EU DD’s, before I had smoke Mino now I have radar Mino, you learn so much more by not just hiding in smoke or behind an island spamming HE.

my fave Cruiser; Atago, my least fave Albermarle.

[MUMMY]
Players
657 posts
10,457 battles

If you are playing randoms, whatever you do, do not put yourself in a position where you have to rely on your teammates.

If you are playing randoms, whatever you do, do not put yourself in a position where you are risking your ship to "rescue" your teammates; usually from their own stupidity.

If you are playing randoms, take full advantage of your teammates doing something mentally questionable to disengage yourself if you cannot mop up the leftovers when your mentally questionable teammate dies.

If you are playing randoms, take full advantage of your teammates doing something mentally questionable to use the dakka dakka and steamroll with them.

Take away message - if you rely upon your teammates in randoms in a CA, you can get maimed or die quickly so judge your situation before committing your ship.

Above applies for getting put with randoms and solo play, not necessarily division/clan mates.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 3
  • Boring 1

[THESO]
4,005 posts
10,174 battles
9 hours ago, Inappropriate_noob said:

That could be most of them, at all tiers on this account, a few on my alt, results are almost always the same though, yet here is the kicker, the higher tier Cruisers have heals, and I seem to have a slight advantage over lower tiers when I play them.

That doesn't really tell me much, but let's take zao for an example since it's one of the best allaround cruisers out there IMO. It has heavy shells with good velocity and can easily hit targets at its max range. It's also small and maneuverable which makes it hard to hit. This means that it's very good in open water, the key however (as is with most cruisers) is to make yourself a target that nobody wants to shoot at. Make a small and angled target that's far away. Do you have allies nearby? Get into a position that makes them a more appealing target. Do you not have allies around you but they're still in range of the enemy? Get into a position where it would cost BBs too much effort to turn their guns. And yes there's nothing wrong with island hugging, but don't play it with this intention but as an exception if it happens to appear.

• Cool 2

Players
3,554 posts

Oddly enough, on my alt a stand out cruiser is the French cruiser De Grasse, i quite like that one, although the horrors are London and Perth, are the abnormalities, as they neither have long range guns, or torpedoes, so what do you do with ultra short range Cruisers, a good reason why i never bought the Atlanta their, purpose is a total unknown to me, the Italians, well they look stylish but between AP or Sap I do not know which is the best ammo, as neither seems to be really effective.

• Cool 1

[BODEM]
Players
802 posts
7,026 battles

There are as much cruiser styles as there are colors. Some indeed can't take a hit, like the RN lights and the US lights. But the RN heavies, RU heavies, Italians and afaik the Germans can tank quite a lot, even up to BB shells. I used to suck at Cruisers too, but nowadays I suckba little less and have fun with lots of them . There is only one cruiser you should stay away from, but it's no longer available luckily. That cruiser is Stinkypoo...I mean Smolensk. When playing that ship, it will take away a part of your soul. Easily the worst thing that haopened to the game. The rest of the cruisers are great, as they have weak point to counter their strengths. I hope you get the hang of cruiser gameplay cause they are prolly the most fun class to play.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

Players
3,554 posts
20 minutes ago, domen3 said:

That doesn't really tell me much, but let's take zao for an example since it's one of the best allaround cruisers out there IMO. It has heavy shells with good velocity and can easily hit targets at its max range. It's also small and maneuverable which makes it hard to hit. This means that it's very good in open water, the key however (as is with most cruisers) is to make yourself a target that nobody wants to shoot at. Make a small and angled target that's far away. Do you have allies nearby? Get into a position that makes them a more appealing target. Do you not have allies around you but they're still in range of the enemy? Get into a position where it would cost BBs too much effort to turn their guns. And yes there's nothing wrong with island hugging, but don't play it with this intention but as an exception if it happens to appear.

I have learnt to fear islands as i always inevitably run aground like Notser does, sticking to the low tiers for now but for example, the Mainz, that IS a particular thorn in my side, love the guns reload, but boy oh boy if I even survive a game in that, I have a good one

Players
3,554 posts
Just now, FukushuNL said:

There are as much cruiser styles as there are colors. Some indeed can't take a hit, like the RN lights and the US lights. But the RN heavies, RU heavies, Italians and afaik the Germans can tank quite a lot, even up to BB shells. I used to suck at Cruisers too, but nowadays I suckba little less and have fun with lots of them . There is only one cruiser you should stay away from, but it's no longer available luckily. That cruiser is Stinkypoo...I mean Smolensk. When playing that ship, it will take away a part of your soul. Easily the worst thing that haopened to the game. The rest of the cruisers are great, as they have weak point to counter their strengths. I hope you get the hang of cruiser gameplay cause they are prolly the most fun class to play.

Well I do have the Smolly on this account, never got it in time for my alt, but talking of higher tier Cruisers, i get on better with the Kronstadt for some reason than I do with everyone's favourite the Alaska, no real clue as to why but hey ho, happy days.

Players
3,554 posts
7 hours ago, rage1750 said:

If you are playing randoms, whatever you do, do not put yourself in a position where you have to rely on your teammates.

If you are playing randoms, whatever you do, do not put yourself in a position where you are risking your ship to "rescue" your teammates; usually from their own stupidity.

If you are playing randoms, take full advantage of your teammates doing something mentally questionable to disengage yourself if you cannot mop up the leftovers when your mentally questionable teammate dies.

If you are playing randoms, take full advantage of your teammates doing something mentally questionable to use the dakka dakka and steamroll with them.

Take away message - if you rely upon your teammates in randoms in a CA, you can get maimed or die quickly so judge your situation before committing your ship.

Above applies for getting put with randoms and solo play, not necessarily division/clan mates.

Just had a game on my alt, the account I am now playing currently (for naval battles) had some guy spamming the the map, telling everyone where he thought they should go, turns out he was in a Dallas at the back, running for the Border, I guess that is not the ideal position either, certainly wouldn't be my ideal one as I like to get stuck in the action:Smile_veryhappy:

• Cool 1

[THESO]
4,005 posts
10,174 battles
33 minutes ago, FukushuNL said:

There are as much cruiser styles as there are colors. Some indeed can't take a hit, like the RN lights and the US lights. But the RN heavies, can tank quite a lot, even up to BB shells. 

Oh hell no. Royal navy CAs are a complete garbage. Any shell from any angle will citadel you. If you're spotted in them, you're dead. Also US CLs aren't that bad at tanking. They're about average. The tankiest cruisers would be germans and soviet CAs, with italians, US and japanese being decent.

• Cool 1

[TACHA]
Players
1,536 posts
17,352 battles

I love cruisers - particularly the RN line of CLs. The Fiji is just everything I love in the game. Fast firing, quick turning, a decent heal for when I mess up and smoke either to hide me or cover a retreat. I quite like DDs but at higher tiers they are always at risk of being radared or aircraft spotted. Don't play CVs since the rework as didn't sign up for World of Warplanes and I get bored too easily in my BB!

• Cool 3

Players
403 posts
14,470 battles
1 hour ago, Inappropriate_noob said:

Oddly enough, on my alt a stand out cruiser is the French cruiser De Grasse, i quite like that one, although the horrors are London and Perth, are the abnormalities, as they neither have long range guns, or torpedoes, so what do you do with ultra short range Cruisers, a good reason why i never bought the Atlanta their, purpose is a total unknown to me, the Italians, well they look stylish but between AP or Sap I do not know which is the best ammo, as neither seems to be really effective.

It may not be what you meant to say, but it seems you are suggesting that neither London or Perth have torps.

Players
3,554 posts
9 minutes ago, Monalie said:

It may not be what you meant to say, but it seems you are suggesting that neither London or Perth have torps.

Oh i know they do in fact after than comment I wrote, I had surprisingly a good game in the Perth of all things, sure I got it in a crate somewhere along the line, so egg on my face there:Smile_veryhappy:

• Funny 1

Players
3,554 posts
44 minutes ago, domen3 said:

Oh hell no. Royal navy CAs are a complete garbage. Any shell from any angle will citadel you. If you're spotted in them, you're dead. Also US CLs aren't that bad at tanking. They're about average. The tankiest cruisers would be germans and soviet CAs, with italians, US and japanese being decent.

Aha the CA's and the CL's never know which is which, on my alt went all the way up to the Minotaur, and i got the Yoshino for coal I think.

But you say Germans can tank, how does this work in the Mainz, which in my experience is  3 salvo's and she is gone, anyways naval battles complete and it is a nice day out there so I shall return later.