You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Brickdust_Express

Not technically minded, need help though

24 comments in this topic

Players
41 posts
6,864 battles

I seem to be having a problem that is getting worse as time progresses. 

I apologies if this has been covered before.

As far as I can tell with my limited knowledge this problem only started to get worse with the 0.9.8 update.

Example of problem

I have just finished playing a co-op game (not to good at game yet) I say playing with tongue in cheek as I registered for the battle, pressed the battle button at top of screen and waited, and waited, and waited, you get the picture. List of teams was showing and slowly and surely as ships were sunk they disappeared from the list, until I was finally able to take part. By this time there was 1 enemy ship left I managed to fire once before the game ended.

Due to the fact that this is becoming a regular situation ( indeed on 3 occasions I think I never even got into the game before it finished ) along with the fact that I am getting alot of really bad stuttering during gameplay which I did not seem to get nearly as bad on the previous 0.9.7 version. 

I may add whilst I was waiting to play I have ctrl alt delete to quickly check my internet speed (100mb) and sure enough that seems ok.

Anybody help a old seadog with this problem which will be greatly appreciated.

[JRM]
Players
6,997 posts
2 minutes ago, PeteEarthling said:

Mechanical hard drive, pretty full and fragmented?

Sounds about right however IDK if even very fragmented drive would need like 10+ minutes to load a map, maybe he has drive compression on or game is installed on some MMC or whatnot, possibly the HDD went down to some lower data speed mode for some reason, without knowing his rig we can only speculate wildly...

Players
2,669 posts
21,581 battles

The only time I had that happen regularly was when I was using a very slow PC, like a seven-year-old office machine or something. And that was on a far slower internet connection.

You do not need the latest maxed-out gaming rig for this game, which is one of the things I still like about it, but it should be halfway up to snuff.

Beta Tester
175 posts
10,474 battles

I know the problem. Though my PC is 7 months old it took ages to load the game.

Today I decided toput the game on an SSD hard disk and now my hardship and sorrows are history.
Perhaps that might be an idea for you as well?

• Cool 1

[THESO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,509 posts
9,527 battles

Like the other guys said, we're gonna need some more information regarding your pc like what processor you're using, maybe the amount of ram that you have (although having too little of it should only affect fps and not loading times too much) and so on. It is also entirely possible that your hard drive can't handle it or something or you have another process running in the background eating up all the resources and haven't noticed it.

Beta Tester
162 posts
10,461 battles

I would recomment ram check. If you have 2 modules try remove one of them. Game shoul run easy on 4gb. 

Dont think hdd drive would cause such time delay.

I had same problem with ram while running old quadcore 2.5gb and old sata2 5200 500gb hdd removed from laptop and after ram change everything was fine. But still new pc with new ryzen and m.2 ssd changed my wows experience drasticly.

[BONUS]
[BONUS]
Beta Tester
3,076 posts
11,239 battles

As someone else has suggested make sure there's some free space on  the HD, and indeed that the HD is working well.

Many years ago I played WoT using just a magnetic wheel HD and the thing collapsed in less than a year.I got it reformatted and it lasted only nine months.  Since then I'v e had an SSD fitted.  I'm sure WoWS is less demanding but HD failure accounts for lot of failings.

Players
10,192 posts
11,985 battles
15 hours ago, Brickdust_Express said:

I seem to be having a problem that is getting worse as time progresses. 

I apologies if this has been covered before.

As far as I can tell with my limited knowledge this problem only started to get worse with the 0.9.8 update.

Example of problem

I have just finished playing a co-op game (not to good at game yet) I say playing with tongue in cheek as I registered for the battle, pressed the battle button at top of screen and waited, and waited, and waited, you get the picture. List of teams was showing and slowly and surely as ships were sunk they disappeared from the list, until I was finally able to take part. By this time there was 1 enemy ship left I managed to fire once before the game ended.

Due to the fact that this is becoming a regular situation ( indeed on 3 occasions I think I never even got into the game before it finished ) along with the fact that I am getting alot of really bad stuttering during gameplay which I did not seem to get nearly as bad on the previous 0.9.7 version. 

I may add whilst I was waiting to play I have ctrl alt delete to quickly check my internet speed (100mb) and sure enough that seems ok.

Anybody help a old seadog with this problem which will be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like mechanical hard disk dying, struggling to read data off the worn out disk. Alternatively is in dire need of a defragmenting, though I doubt fragmented data would have THIS bad effect on loading times.

Dying disk should have an impact on overall pc performance, not only in single game. Any other game should suffer from long loading times, system start taking longer than 3-5 minutes would be one indication as well

Players
41 posts
6,864 battles

Apologies for the late reply, looked into this a bit further on this site and others and there was alot of recommendations to unpark the cpu cores  which I did using unparkCPU  and that alone  seems to have improved  on the problem by about 90%. The other points raised in your answers I take on board, especially as the WOW,s program is installed on my 3 month old network drive  (so defragging would be a problem) and one of the recommendations  indicates installing on a SSD which fortunately I have got one of, doing nothing which I totally forgot about. Which raises a question for me, if I re-install on a the SSD will I lose any of my game information, scores etc if so how can I prevent any loss? Also I had been thinking of installing a NVMe in my system, would one of these be better than a standard SSD?

The other point raised in the replies so far are about my computer, to be honest I,m 70 plus years old and I don,t really want to be out buying a new PC especially at my age and as I am in the high risk category with this pandemic here in the UK.

My Pc admittedly is rather dated I think, But I,m happy enough with it and it is more than adequate for my everyday needs.

But here goes:-

Internet Connection 100+ gb

CPU                                                   AMD-FX-8350 8 cores

Motherboard                                    ASUS 970 Pro Gaming/Aura

Memory                                            16 Gbyte Dual channels DDR3

Graphics Card                                  Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB

Any comment gratefully received and thankyou for the previous ones.

Players
41 posts
6,864 battles
1 minute ago, kapnobathrac said:

Only thing I noticed past weeks is a sudden FPS drop freeze for half a second. Dunno if it’s my pc or the game

that is what I was suffering from as well during the game, unparking the cores seems to have reduced that problem as well  to a large degree, from what I can tell.

Players
10,192 posts
11,985 battles
2 hours ago, Brickdust_Express said:

Which raises a question for me, if I re-install on a the SSD will I lose any of my game information, scores etc if so how can I prevent any loss? Also I had been thinking of installing a NVMe in my system, would one of these be better than a standard SSD?

All your account info, progress are stored server side. If you were to carry out fresh installation elsewhere, without preserving "preferences.xml" config file, all you would have to redo  are graphic/audio/custom key mappings.

Though I believe you can literally copy entire game folder into new disk, remove old one, let WG Center realize game is missing and then redirect to new location

[LSCA]
Players
1,280 posts
10,909 battles

13 minutes ago, kapnobathrac said:

Only thing I noticed past weeks is a sudden FPS drop freeze for half a second. Dunno if it’s my pc or the game

there is  sometimes freeze because off server self

but if you have two monitors running then you can look also at Resource Monitor whats happening when you play game

[NED]
Players
2,090 posts
8,343 battles
2 hours ago, Brickdust_Express said:

CPU                                                   AMD-FX-8350 8 cores

Motherboard                                    ASUS 970 Pro Gaming/Aura

Memory                                            16 Gbyte Dual channels DDR3

Graphics Card                                  Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB

Any comment gratefully received and thankyou for the previous ones.

Nothing wrong with that set up.

Installing on your SSD would have a huge increase in loading speed.

You wont lose your progress in wows or anything you have purchased because that is all tied to your account that is stored by wargaming so when you log in all will be restored.

Except for your graphics sound and keybinding settings.

[JRM]
Players
6,997 posts
4 hours ago, Brickdust_Express said:

Apologies for the late reply, looked into this a bit further on this site and others and there was alot of recommendations to unpark the cpu cores  which I did using unparkCPU  and that alone  seems to have improved  on the problem by about 90%. The other points raised in your answers I take on board, especially as the WOW,s program is installed on my 3 month old network drive  (so defragging would be a problem) and one of the recommendations  indicates installing on a SSD which fortunately I have got one of, doing nothing which I totally forgot about. Which raises a question for me, if I re-install on a the SSD will I lose any of my game information, scores etc if so how can I prevent any loss? Also I had been thinking of installing a NVMe in my system, would one of these be better than a standard SSD?

The other point raised in the replies so far are about my computer, to be honest I,m 70 plus years old and I don,t really want to be out buying a new PC especially at my age and as I am in the high risk category with this pandemic here in the UK.

My Pc admittedly is rather dated I think, But I,m happy enough with it and it is more than adequate for my everyday needs.

You dont need a new computer as such, your hardware is suffitient to run like 5 wows parallel...

EXCEPT for few things

You said you installed wows on the NETWORK DRIVE, now you do know that in that case the speed of communicating with your drive is dependent on your network speed and load and not on your computer as such...

Another point is IDK what kind of ISP and connection to internet you have but I am reasonably sure its not 100+ GBit (might be MB though which is still not bad and wastly more then WOWS needs) and even if you have a superfast ethernet (still hardly 100+ Gbit) in your home you still have latency due to network as such you wouldnt have with a proper drive built in your computer what only services your computer and its apps...

As for unparking cores, IDK never needed to do that, glad it did some good to you though...

[THESO]
Players
4,355 posts

I had this problem in the past. Not for a year now, still using the same hardware (ssd, i7).

So I am not entirely sure it is a hardware problem.

I think its a bug in the client.

Maybe do a client check from wg center app.

[YEBOI]
Players
133 posts
12,434 battles

Before you do anything, move the game off your network drive onto ANY other local storage media (other than a usb drive lmao).

Preferably a  SSD.

Also, press Windows+R and run msinfo32 to give us further system info should any be required.

unknown.png

Players
41 posts
6,864 battles

Well shipmates  now I,m a happy sailor, as I said earlier I unparked my cpu cores and then later in the day I got out a 120gb SSD I had lying around and then copied WOW to the empty reformatted the SSD, changed the load properties of the desktop shortcut, Rebooted just to clear the system, and what a difference!

I,ve had WOW running for about 4 hours, played numerous games with out a single problem or stutter or hang.

So all I can say is the SSD device and the unparking of the cores worked fine for me, so a huge thankyou to all your input.

• Cool 1