You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
StanleyHTweedle

What asymmetric battles taught me

78 comments in this topic

Players
175 posts
7,602 battles

- The disparity between T5-6 and T8 is too high.

Erf... can't think of anything else... Anyway it's a fun mode, but it would've been more fun without full T8 but rather T7-8, and actual RANDOM numbers like... +2/-2 ships every side plus the coherent total tier*player count ...  OR just larger and more diverse (tier-wise) teams.

Not tagging anyone. Please appreciate this :>

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[CATS]
Players
28,101 posts
14,890 battles
4 hours ago, StanleyHTweedle said:

- The disparity between T5-6 and T8 is too high.

Erf... can't think of anything else... Anyway it's a fun mode, but it would've been more fun without full T8 but rather T7-8, and actual RANDOM numbers like... +2/-2 ships every side plus the coherent total tier*player count ...  OR just larger and more diverse (tier-wise) teams.

Not tagging anyone. Please appreciate this :>

At the beginning the Tier V wiped the floor with Tier VIII...

The problem are the braindead players. When your team ignores the caps, the only BB runs away after 4 minutes and the CV ends up with 13 base XP at the end of the match, Tier V is not your problem...

• Cool 7

Players
468 posts
6,298 battles

All the disparities are too high. Team 8 has veterans? They win. Good CV? They win. Team VI has a team of seal clubbers? Now they win. Etc. etc.

There needs to be more equalizing of the non-tier factors (i.e. ships and captains, you obviously can't equalize skill - right, WG)?

• Cool 2

[THESO]
Players
4,355 posts

Playing as T5/6:

- if bots on the enemy team than its like coop ... elbowing for the kills

- if humans on the enemy team, then its hard as T5/6 struggle to hit torps and do damage. Most of the games I had we run out of points, since enemy team gets 2 caps near them

Playing as T7/8

- if you get bots its a struggle

- if you have a human team, you can obliterate the enemy team

But it all comes down to team quality....

• Cool 5

[CATS]
Players
28,101 posts
14,890 battles

Tier VIII

Our only DD gets sunk early while facing cruisers and BB. There was no radar, no CV and no DD that could spot him.

The BB on my side beaches himself and gets sunk by focus fire and torps and blames me for not staying with him...

• Funny 1

[PANEU]
Beta Tester
1,948 posts
12,813 battles

@StanleyHTweedle you obviously have never played world of tanks :cap_haloween:

Lower tier vechicles have 5 times more chance here

• Cool 1

[BLITZ]
Modder
4,861 posts
9,044 battles

The team with the better team communication and coordination wins. 

In Asymetric Battles even more than in Random Battles. Some players are so used to be carried that they try to blame a game mode that just emphazises and shows how little they do to help their teams to win. 

• Cool 11

Players
2,369 posts
5 hours ago, Ashardalon_Dragnipur said:

Bring DDs; for gods sake stop bringing BBs and bring DDs! That's the lesson I learned 

That is the trick.. It's what I do for the low tier games... and if the T8's have a CV all DD's stick together... Combined AA with priority sector shreds any attacking aircraft.

(And bring a Brain too)

• Funny 1

[LUZ1]
Players
868 posts
12,776 battles

I basically like the mode. It's got more variation than randoms, which can get a bit boring. 

And bringing DDs and a brain to the game is always a good idea :Smile_trollface:

• Funny 2

Beta Tester
939 posts
10,176 battles

T8 is too easy to win as.

Only lost in this mode once out of 10 or 12 games, lost count after the first 8 wins. If you play a ship that can somehow counter DD's , or your team has killed all of the DD's, you're pretty much guaranteed a win.

Players
1,873 posts
19,334 battles

It’s quite possible to win in tier 5s For example the Kongo is very effective as are Japanese DDs.

The only real frustration I have in playing low tier is how many people refuse to shoot the enemy DDs, because the battleship that’s 3 times further away is much more interesting for most people. But that’s a well established problem in randoms too.

• Cool 7

[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts
14,735 battles

What it learned me is Tier VIII ships are just as vulnerable to mass focus then anything else. In this game being focussed = destroyed. That is why (high tier ) random mode can be so unenjoyable as you virtually have no freedom to move freely or as tactical as you would like, and modes with lower numbers ( ranked ) of players such a thrill and extemely enjoyable.

Typical randoms mode ( or any mode with a lot of enemies in 1 team ) targetting the first that pops up in view :

image.thumb.png.3c843cc870812b6c5b4f9a9773164c10.png

Other then that the mode is not unbalanced by faulty design : at first low tier almost always won because high tier was filled with bots as few player had enough tokens to play high tier all the time. Now players seem to have amassed enough tokens and it's the other way around : bots fill low tier team and they almost always lose.

So the weakness seem to be bots and WG refusal to make players wait for MM (too) long......not the design of the mode. That does not bode well if WG intends to use them to fill missing humans in higher tiers in randoms. Without them getting much improved AI/coding.

Btw : i read bring a low tier DD a lot.....although it can work against an enemy with all BB in their team  it is no magic formula. Low tier DD = extreme low HP DD......there are Tier VII/VIIIships that excell in fast butchery of fragile ships as well.

wows72.jpg

• Cool 2

[R3B3L]
Players
1,009 posts
30,797 battles

Won every asy-battle so far, on PTS* and here too.

Low tier: bring a destroyer and go for caps.

High tier: bring Belfast, sink the destroyers and take the caps.

*my only defeat was in Belfast, with three Massachusetts as team-apes team-mates.

They just parked in spawn and sniped.

Basically, as @Ashardalon_Dragnipursaid; bring destroyers, not battleships. Because in this mode you have to work for the victory.

[GWR]
Players
506 posts
9,024 battles
1 hour ago, lovelacebeer said:

It’s quite possible to win in tier 5s For example the Kongo is very effective as are Japanese DDs.

The only real frustration I have in playing low tier is how many people refuse to shoot the enemy DDs, because the battleship that’s 3 times further away is much more interesting for most people. But that’s a well established problem in randoms too.

focusing DDs in randoms seems to be a thing of the past as well, easier to farm the big slow things i guess

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
162 posts
10,461 battles
1 hour ago, Migantium_Mashum said:

That is the trick.. It's what I do for the low tier games... and if the T8's have a CV all DD's stick together... Combined AA with priority sector shreds any attacking aircraft.

(And bring a Brain too)

When enemy play with von Perseval he wont do much against dds. But one Loyang or Akizuki can kill all your dds alone. 

This game mode like all other depends mostly on players skill and simple tactic for t7-8... don't split!

• Cool 1

[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts
14,735 battles
36 minutes ago, illy said:

focusing DDs in randoms seems to be a thing of the past as well, easier to farm the big slow things i guess

AP German CV have anything to do with that ?

Score wise it is not advisable not to target DD.....damaging them is worth more then big numbers on big ships. It is also not advisable for winning chance once they get to lauch at the larger allies......

That is why i seem to lose in German CV more then in other CV....i do not attack full HP DD with German AP fighters as that is virtually useless. I will kill a low HP DD of opportunity, but that is an entirely different thing then relentlessy hunting them with HE rockets.

Players
938 posts
3,431 battles
4 hours ago, Bindolaf_Werebane said:

All the disparities are too high. Team 8 has veterans? They win. Good CV? They win. Team VI has a team of seal clubbers? Now they win. Etc. etc.

There needs to be more equalizing of the non-tier factors (i.e. ships and captains, you obviously can't equalize skill - right, WG)?

yup... WG can make all the battle modes they want, unfair MM always decides who wins.

Players
2,517 posts
4 hours ago, nambr9 said:

(...)

Playing as T7/8

- if you get bots its a struggle

- if you have a human team, you can obliterate the enemy team

But it all comes down to team quality....

Even with bad team it is not unlikely to win. T5/6 is reluctant to push and given battle lasts only 15 minutes, battle is likely going to end up won on points.

[WDG]
Players
41 posts
5,998 battles
12 godziny temu, Ashardalon_Dragnipur napisał:

bring DDs

Then they bring Enterprise...

Other lesson learned is that Grozovoi can't dev strike 2/3 health Massa with full torpedo salvo (6 hits).

[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts
14,735 battles
1 hour ago, Montrala said:

Then they bring Enterprise...

The only ones that fail at killing waves of DD if whole teams are made up of them are Saipan ( Tiny Tim require larger targets )  Indomitable ( damned fighters turn as oil tankers ) and the German AP fighters.

The rest of the CV should be able to kill at least 2-5 low tier DD and have had a heavy hand in damaging  of the rest killed by allies....

Then there is what happens when the desperate band of ravaged DD do reach the CV......when it is a moving German CV their chances are still very low.

When it is a Saipan they can smile and enjoy victory.

That is why of yet victory in a Saipan eludes me.....it also gets pitted against 10 or 11 DD all the time as well. Which can't be a coincidence. :Smile_izmena:

Do note that as low tier DD or Cruiser the French Tier VIII  gunship DD  ( doing 50+ knots whith guns on reload boost ) are your nightmare enemy. Not even CV....

[THESO]
Players
4,355 posts
11 hours ago, Beastofwar said:

Btw : i read bring a low tier DD a lot.....although it can work against an enemy with all BB in their team  it is no magic formula. Low tier DD = extreme low HP DD......there are Tier VII/VIIIships that excell in fast butchery of fragile ships as well.

Tru story.

I gave up on grinding T6 EU dd.

The torps are too slow to do anything. If there's a T8 CV in the game its "good night".

Works against bots :)

• Cool 2

[GWR]
Players
506 posts
9,024 battles
10 minutes ago, nambr9 said:

Tru story.

I gave up on grinding T6 EU dd.

The torps are too slow to do anything. If there's a T8 CV in the game its "good night".

Works against bots :)

took a Vasteras into asymmetric battle and my team almost won, i kept a Harekaze busy as we swapped caps and had the odd duel which it decided to run from, got some good torp hits on BBs  but it's better stealth was finally my down fall, my death made our team lose on points in the dying seconds....fun game

• Cool 1

[THESO]
Players
4,355 posts
8 hours ago, illy said:

took a Vasteras into asymmetric battle and my team almost won, i kept a Harekaze busy as we swapped caps and had the odd duel which it decided to run from, got some good torp hits on BBs  but it's better stealth was finally my down fall, my death made our team lose on points in the dying seconds....fun game

Sure it can work illy, but relying on your teammates smoke is challenging (especially if you get a competent CV player in the enemy team). Also the torps... damn they feel slow and they dont do much damage. 

AFAIK the torps get some speed at T8.

Hopefully I will be able to gring the T7 in Narai...