You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
barbarus_7orus

spending my free xp

17 comments in this topic

Players
6 posts
2,051 battles

Greetings everyone

it has always been a dream of mine to get a premium ship , and now that i have the xp required to get the nelson i wanted to ask you should I keep grinding  to 1 million or should i buy the nelson , is it worth it or should i keep farming? 

[SKRUB]
Players
555 posts
21,841 battles

Every ship are worth... but they are not all equal. :Smile_trollface:

I still didn't get mine (because Lenin) but will you like her ? 

Hard to said, you should read some review like Little White Mouse or/and watch CC replay. 

But the really main issue is will Nelson/your 1million free ship still be avaible ? 

Nobody know, some ship like Kron/Missouri/Musashi/Jean Bart... were remove, could Alaska for exemple be the next one ? Maybe. 

• Cool 1

[RRVK]
Players
41 posts
11,340 battles

Hey Barbarus. 

In your "quest" to aquire a premium ship you ask if the Nelson is worth it or if you should continue grinding.

In  my opinion you should also consider how long it took you to reach the 350k freeXP for the Nelson compared to the time required to reach 1 million for the "whatever" freeXP ship you set your sights for. You might also want to consider whether the tier 7 Nelson is a good fit for your current navy. Your stats show that you have a few tier 7 BBs - but not in the British tech tree. If you get the Nelson, you kinda jumpstart the grind in that line - for better or worse.

Personally I decided to get the Nelson early - its a decent BB with big guns (and a massive citadel). I mostly trot it out for captain retraining. 

You might want to browse YouTube for videos featuring the Nelson to get a feel for the ship. 

In addition to the Nelson I would like to suggest that you choose the daily ressource containers and complete the daily missions in order to hoard your coal and/or steel. You can get various premium and "special" ships in the Armory - from tier 3 to 10.

• Cool 3

[THESO]
Moderator, Players
1,289 posts
8,976 battles

Hello,

Nelson is a very solid battleship. She fits in well at tier 7 and has reliable 16" guns that allow you to overmatch plenty of armour in the lower tiers, strong AP and has the super-HE given to the tech-tree battleships of the Royal Navy as well as the super-heal. The downsides are pretty simple, she is slow, her bow plating is only 25mm meaning you get overmatched by guns larger than 14" and at T7 you will mostly be facing 15"-16.1" guns. . She also does not have any main battery guns at the stern so if you need to retreat you're going to struggle. She has obvious drawbacks to experienced players who understand the basics of the game, to get the best out of her you have to use situational awareness (and no I'm not talking about the captain skill) throughout a battle for maximum impact while also having the knowledge and skill that allows you to angle effectively against incoming fire.

If you have the basics nailed down, game knowledge, tech tree knowledge, shell mechanics knowledge. Then Nelson is a very solid ship that is fun to play and can be very rewarding. She also shares her skill points with the standard British battleships making her an excellent choice as a captain trainer. She is unique in her playstyle, her only real counter-part is the Lenin at T8. Nelson is one of the rarer gems and she is free. If you want to grind British battleships and have the basics of battleship gameplay down, I recommend Nelson.

Regards,

Minia

• Cool 6

[LUZ1]
Players
871 posts
12,835 battles

I have recently decided to go for the full mil fxp and buy Alaska. Am now at 250K ....:Smile_sceptic:

• Cool 2

Players
2,371 posts
13 minutes ago, Camperdown said:

I have recently decided to go for the full mil fxp and buy Alaska. Am now at 250K ....:Smile_sceptic:

If you see me in my DD be gentle.. (and none of that Radar thingy it doesn't work well on Alaska at all, Honest :Smile_veryhappy:, bounces everywhere you know, totally inaccurate. :Smile_hiding:

• Funny 1

[BODEM]
Players
801 posts
7,026 battles
4 hours ago, barbarus_7orus said:

Thank you all gentlemen for your wise advice , I will get the nelson and then collect coal to get a higher level ship 

Stay safe

It really deoends on how much you play IMO. And if you wouldn't mind buying prem time from time to time. With the 100k fxp coming up with the Ancorarge (or how you pronounce it) grind, the special signals/camo's from multiple sources and the small fxp chunks from multiple sources, it's a good time to get a bunch of fxp. 

I had like no fxp and the fxp wasn't going anywhere fast when Missouri was released, so I never thought I would ever get those 1mil free xp ships, ever. But I played the game regularly, events were well stocked with gifts, played some ptu seasons and the fxp trickled in some more, as did the special signals. So from time to time, when I want to boost my xp and free xp with a certain ship line that suits my game style, I burn through the special signals all in one go and get around 15 to 20k of both xp kinds in the 7+ tiers. 

So if all depends how much you play the game. Personally I would go for Alaska, but I don't know how much you can play, what your preferences or skills are with BBs vs BCs, etc. I haven't got any of them two btw, but I think they are both worth it. Just saying that depending on your situation and time you hace to play, there can be sudden spikes in fxp boosts if you are looking longingly to those T9 fxp ships.

• Cool 1

[LUZ1]
Players
871 posts
12,835 battles
43 minutes ago, Migantium_Mashum said:

If you see me in my DD be gentle.. (and none of that Radar thingy it doesn't work well on Alaska at all, Honest :Smile_veryhappy:, bounces everywhere you know, totally inaccurate. :Smile_hiding:

Facing Alaska's in my DM convinced me this was a gut bote.

In DDs Alaska is pretty tough to face but not the worst. Ships with higher rof are more dangerous, but Alaska has protection which gives her staying power when facing 18" BBs. Any normal CL or CA risks being blapped in the close radar support role.

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
162 posts
10,461 battles

Alaska is oldest 1kk ship atm that you can buy. Either gring to get her or focus on coal premiums, they all are good. I'm using my free exp only to help me with regrinding limes for research points.

Sure Hayate and Smallamd look great but 2kk is just too much. Also lack of free exp grinding scenarios like Dunkirk and Cherry blossom(?) sucks.

• Cool 1

Players
5,462 posts
11,027 battles
6 hours ago, barbarus_7orus said:

Thank you all gentlemen for your wise advice , I will get the nelson and then collect coal to get a higher level ship 

Stay safe

The Nelson is good, but also kinda squishy, some BBs will hit you very hard and you need a special playstyle with her. Though while she is squishy, she also has an extremly strong heal.

• Cool 1

Players
10,198 posts
11,986 battles
34 minutes ago, FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor said:

You should keep grinding to two million and get a Smaland.

Everything else is just carrier fodder, to varying degrees.

Smaland can't really protect herself from CVs either. Nor Halland for that matter.

[RODS]
Players
1,471 posts
7,505 battles

Nelson has a superheal that can repair loads of HE and fire damage

Citadel is enormous and easily punished

Guns are good

Well worth the 350k

Players
2,677 posts
21,619 battles
Vor 2 Stunden, Panocek sagte:

Smaland can't really protect herself from CVs either. Nor Halland for that matter.

Not completely on her own but you can really make CVs unhappy if you play it smart. Even the better CV players. You're not completely helpless, in contrast to every other ship. You can hurt them back. You are not just fodder.

Players
3,962 posts
5,269 battles
17 hours ago, Ronchabale said:

Nelson has a superheal that can repair loads of HE and fire damage

Citadel is enormous and easily punished

Guns are good

Well worth the 350k

Exept that heal is effective only to repair fire sources, not damage caused by main guns.