Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Griva

Procedural generated maps

19 comments in this topic

Players
387 posts
12,681 battles

I don't read forums too much and maybe this topic was already on the table, but I wonder why WG didn't make map generator.

I am completely aware that structure of the server and client might not allow such things and it would be expansive to rework, but in other case it should be quite simple:

There are plenty of premade islands in the game already and unlike many other games there is no need to connect ground tiles.

In theory it's simple as putting water plane and some algorithm puts islands randomly in quite symetric way. Positions of caps, islands and spawns are sent to client and generated in the same way.

Obviously such random scenario will not be balanced perfectly, but because it's fresh to everyone there is no advantage coming from knowing the map.

Moreover it does not need to be random battle map, it can be special gamemode like asymmetric battles.

Additionaly seed of each map is known and at the end of the game, each player could vote if he liked map setup and WG could gather data what maps are fun or not fun and then design new maps based on liked seeds.

What do you think?

// EDIT

There would be no additional content to download before the battle starts, read this.

• Cool 10

[-AS-]
Players
731 posts

I agree.

Anything that adds to the map variety would be a step in the right direction.

It's possible that you might have a rather long download for those players with marginal internet connections at the start of any battle with a new map.

Possible work around would be having one new randomly generated map every other day that is folded into the standard map rotation.

Spawning in any particular battle would still be random which would even balance out over time.

[THESO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,538 posts
9,535 battles

You have to keep in mind that maps are several hundred MBs in size, so downloading a new map every match simply wouldn't work. The only way I could see any form of procedural map generation working in wows would be if WG generated several (I don't know, 5 of 6 or so) maps for one week, let the players play around in them and then generate a new batch for the next week. It would still mean that players would have to download a new patch every week however.

• Cool 1

[I-J-N]
Players
5,489 posts
44 minutes ago, domen3 said:

You have to keep in mind that maps are several hundred MBs in size, so downloading a new map every match simply wouldn't work. The only way I could see any form of procedural map generation working in wows would be if WG generated several (I don't know, 5 of 6 or so) maps for one week, let the players play around in them and then generate a new batch for the next week. It would still mean that players would have to download a new patch every week however.

Or.. I wonder if they could have like movable props (rocks). A selection that the map would just place randomly for every match. Would need additional coding to work though. Maps that rotate weekly or bi-weekly would maybe be more practical.

[SH33P]
Beta Tester
107 posts
4,952 battles

I would love that.

But reading people complain about every afk player and everything that might favor the other team I think the playerbase is not grown enough.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[ALONE]
Modder
2,229 posts
13,945 battles
Vor 51 Minuten, domen3 sagte:

...downloading a new map every match simply wouldn't work. ...

If you take like 16  squares with premade islands on them and place them randomly you have almost random maps without further discspace.

• Cool 3

[CAIN]
Players
4,678 posts
19,811 battles

Wait what? 

People struggle to play decent-ish on maps they played hundreds of times on, where they should know every or almost every island. Heck, they struggle with the ocean map...

Adding maps that change on a per-game basis will most likely freak them out. 

Personally,  I'd love new maps, way more then I'd like new ships. But I doubt WG will put effort in something they won't be able to control, I.e. procedurally generated maps.

Besides, they can't sell maps, unlike ships.

Since the game is server-client based, there are significant technical difficulties, that might prevent them from doing it, even if they would be interested. 

[THESO]
Players
4,386 posts

If maps could be completely random it would work.

But they are not. Every map, WG has to balance for both sides. And they have enough trouble with static maps... some still favor one side more than the other (at least from my experience).

Plus WG's "Art department" is customizing every map with landmarks, flora and easter eggs .... procedural maps would not have that. 

Maybe if procedural maps would be created for half of the map and then mirrored to the other half....

• Cool 2

[BODEM]
Players
802 posts
7,026 battles
2 hours ago, nambr9 said:

But they are not. Every map, WG has to balance for both sides. And they have enough trouble with static maps... some still favor one side more than the other (at least from my experience).

Plus WG's "Art department" is customizing every map with landmarks, flora and easter eggs .... procedural maps would not have that. 

Maybe if procedural maps would be created for half of the map and then mirrored to the other half....

I think random maps would indeed be positive for the game and would even offset the issues surrounding matchmaking. Now everyone knows the maps and know how to rake advantage of cetain spots, making some ships have a serious disadvantage on some map(areas). Randomize the maps, even if that doesn't give a balanced placement of islands, and map knowledge disappears from the table, while on the spot checks of the surroundings and decision making takes the spotlights. This in turn I think will deminish specific ship disadvantages. 

• Cool 1

[TIDES]
[TIDES]
Players
127 posts
4,843 battles

Why not just move the spawns?

Starting E/W rather than N/S on some maps would make it a different challenge too.

• Cool 2

[R3B3L]
Players
1,024 posts
30,885 battles

Maps generated from pre-made tiles would lead to the more or less same situation we have now with high-tier maps; a bunch of cookie-like islands symmetrically mirrored for both teams.

Such a gem like the Solomones-map wouldn´t be possible. And i would miss that one a lot.

• Cool 1

[WTFNO]
Players
624 posts
11,024 battles
4 hours ago, nambr9 said:

Well, for random battles it's probably fine if maps are not perfectly balanced ;-)

Changing or even splitting the spawns could be interesting too.

I mean, it's not like we see perfect displays of fleet tactics in the average battle anyways.

The deciding factor is likely to remain which team has the less terrible potatoes.

• Cool 1

[I-J-N]
Players
5,489 posts

I think this would work best if it was known as the 'Random Map' or 'Surprise Islands Map' and just inserted into the regular rotation, same as 'The Ocean', my favourite map of what we now got.

• Cool 1

Players
7,243 posts
245 battles
4 minutes ago, Karasu_Hidesuke said:

Would fit WoT better though...:Smile_hiding:

moba map :fish_happy::Smile_trollface:

the amount of rage those would generate would make the sahara desert look like the amazon rainforest.

• Funny 1

Players
387 posts
12,681 battles
23 hours ago, Lin3 said:

I agree.

Anything that adds to the map variety would be a step in the right direction.

It's possible that you might have a rather long download for those players with marginal internet connections at the start of any battle with a new map.

Possible work around would be having one new randomly generated map every other day that is folded into the standard map rotation.

Spawning in any particular battle would still be random which would even balance out over time.

22 hours ago, Smeggo said:

If you take like 16  squares with premade islands on them and place them randomly you have almost random maps without further discspace.

23 hours ago, domen3 said:

No no, this is not how it works.

There are no premade tiles or anything like that. There are only premade whole islands - the only thing player would download would be list of islands and their positions and rotations, so literally few KB. Your client will get only instructions how to generate the map from the files you already have. In theory whole thing would be almost as fast as normal loading. Simply speaking there would be large pool of random maps for free, for everyone without any additional downloadable content.

Also, algorithm generating islands in certain pattern is not that hard to make and even if maps would be kind of similar in some ways, it's still more interesting to play in such a map than 100th battle in the same one.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this