You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
shrapnel_bait

Battleships with torpedoes.

14 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
148 posts
372 battles

I don't know if this has been asked before but why don't the early, tier 3, 4 and possibly 5, battleships not get torpedo tubes, prior to the 1920's almost every battleship built was equipped with 2 or more submerged torpedo tubes, even if they aren't trainable they would be of use in battleship drive pasts. 

• Cool 5

[CATS]
Players
28,298 posts
14,932 battles

Fixed torpedos did not get implemented because their usefullness is limited and it might provoke wrong player behaviour.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts

The submerged fixed tubes....yeah if they were removed IRL because they weren't used with succes what can you expect of them in game ?

Although that said, i did damage or even sink when not full HP quite some ships with the Mutsu ones, that arent fixed nor submerged, but they come close to such systems due to the inflexible small angle they can be launched from. Virtually straight angle from complete broadside only. So you have to risk a citadelling/devastating broadside counter salvo to be able to launch them. It is more like a last resort or revenge weapon.

So maybe WG just fears it will be overpowered at low tiers toward BB that did not have this. Or WG feels there is no point to it as BB will lose the ability except in higher tiers for  German BB and players will not like it losing something they once had and were used to. Higher tiers is supposed to mean progress in game....not losing abilites.

But that said i am all for it...if they had it IRL, they should have it in game.....if it is not very useful it is to the player to ignore them. Just like they do with secondaries on most ships, especially Cruisers.

• Cool 3

Players
3,439 posts

I would have though it might be a balance issue, early game Battleships might be deemed too OP if given torpedoes, In real life the Nelson and the Rodney, had torpedoes, with the Rodney being the only Battleship to torpedo another Battleship The Bismarck,in her death throes.

[CR33D]
[CR33D]
Players
2,985 posts
28,663 battles
41 minutes ago, Inappropriate_noob said:

I would have though it might be a balance issue

It is because of balance issues.

1 hour ago, shrapnel_bait said:

I don't know if this has been asked before but why don't the early, tier 3, 4 and possibly 5, battleships not get torpedo tubes, prior to the 1920's almost every battleship built was equipped with 2 or more submerged torpedo tubes, even if they aren't trainable they would be of use in battleship drive pasts. 

Not only BBs are missing their submerged torps, lot of low tier cruisers are missing them too but seems somehow people only notice that on BBs. One of the reason is that modern BBs don't have them and for better progression they are simply removed from all BBs. And low tier BBs are balanced without taking their torpedo tubes into equation, including them would require for WG to nerf something, most likely their, already inconsistent, gun power and I doubt many would be glad about that. But BBs don't need them and for drive past you can use your guns quite effectively but that would require some thinking and not only reaction.

• Cool 1

Players
3,439 posts
15 minutes ago, fumtu said:

It is because of balance issues.

And not only BBs are missing their submerged torps, lot of low tier cruisers are missing them too but seems somehow people only notice that on BBs. One of the reason is that modern BBs don't have them and for better progression they are simply removed from all BBs. And low tier BBs are balanced without taking their torpedo tubes into equation, including them would require for WG to nerf something, most likely their, already inconsistent, gun power and I doubt many would be glad about that. But BBs don't need them and for drive past you can use your guns quite effectively but that would require some thinking and not only reaction.

Still, the love for Tirpitz though in a brawl, is so strong:Smile_trollface:

[NOWH]
Players
754 posts
5,934 battles

i would limit this to port and starboard turrets, and the range to only 3 or 4 km.

bbs dont need more excuses to bowcamp on the back row

[CR33D]
[CR33D]
Players
2,985 posts
28,663 battles
32 minutes ago, SkollUlfr said:

bbs dont need more excuses to bowcamp on the back row

BBs will always have excuses to bowcamp on the back row and giving couple of low tiers BBs fixed submerged torps will not fix this. Also bowcamp is mostly problem on the higher tiers as lower don't have accuracy for this. 

Players
2,548 posts
3 hours ago, Beastofwar said:

The submerged fixed tubes....yeah if they were removed IRL because they weren't used with succes what can you expect of them in game ? 

(...)

Oh, in WoWs those torps with so limited firing angles would have bright future! Majority of BBs drivers are broadsiding anyway! :Smile_trollface:

[LUZ1]
Players
882 posts
12,929 battles

In real life BBs never used torpedoes successfully, except possibly Rodney on Bismarck in the final battle and maybe some unconfirmed possible hits at Jutland.

Now WoWs is quite unlike real world in many ways, so perhaps this is not too relevant :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

Players
235 posts
2,755 battles

There's always talk of limited firing angles when submerged torps pop up on here, but in reality those torpedoes were guided by a gyroscope setting given by the torpedo control tower. While the tube wasn't trainable the torpedo itself could be launched and set to just about any angle required, it wasn't unheard for the gyro controls to go faulty and have the torpedo just yeet itself in a circle and head back towards the ship that launched it...

The only reason they aren't in the game as that early BBs aren't supposed to have too many toys.

Players
574 posts
3,751 battles
23 hours ago, Inappropriate_noob said:

I would have though it might be a balance issue, early game Battleships might be deemed too OP if given torpedoes, In real life the Nelson and the Rodney, had torpedoes, with the Rodney being the only Battleship to torpedo another Battleship The Bismarck,in her death throes.

Ahaha! "might be a balance issue" that's adorable. This is the same devs that care so much about game balance they have CV's running riot at tier 4 with their aircraft against ships without AA capacity. Whatever the reason it certainly ain't because of balance lol.

They certainly could add a few lower tier BB's with a fixed torpedo tube and it would do nothing to upset balance. I'd wager they didn't bother because even in an arcade game such a weapon would be rarely used, practically useless. Being a fixed torpedo tube there is no arch to play with so that green arch we see when we select torpedoes in the game would just be a very thin green line stretching out across the water with zero play to work with. So hitting anything would be next to impossible and also would be really stupid to go out purposefully playing for it, ignoring your main guns and repeatedly showing broadside to other targets as you bumble about in circles trying to get that thin green line into the correct lead for that brief 0.5 seconds both target and your ship perfectly align for that shot to be a viable strike opportunity.

Also, BB's generally turn slow, slowest of all ships in this game so when you couple that to the fixed torpedo tube with zero arch to play with it just adds to the problem and really not a viable weapon worth bothering with. Torpedo tubes really do need to be mounted on some sort of hinged platform that offers the ability to swing them left and right enough to get the correct lead on a target without having to turn the ship itself very often, especially something slow turning like a BB. 

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
2,078 posts
5,267 battles

I would disagree, I can see a lot of tier II-III cruisers, BBs and DDs allowing themselves to be hit by such torpedoes as they sail in a straight line past an enemy BB in (historically speaking) unrealistic Close Quarters combat, or while in a BB, I'd be making a steering away from corner move to prevent being torped, allowing me to toss torps at said corner at multiple angles while turning. I'm quite sure I could hit something with such torps regularly, even if the torp range would only be 4-5km and you'd barely have an angle to shift. What you need is timing and opportunity and in bottom tier matches, engagements are so close range and lots of ships so poorly steered, that such opportunities can definitely be engineered.

The captain skill argument makes more sense, but then, who would go for captain skills for torpedoes on a TIII BB if they intend to progress further? And if you don't, it's not like the standard, of more structural use BB skills aren't more important compared to relatively opportunistic skills.

• Cool 1

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
5,368 posts
25,127 battles

On many BBs that had them, those fixed submerged torpedo tubes have been removed during modernization in real life, considered to be useless and a structural weakness.

Also, would be strange to have them on hull A, only to remove them on hull B.