Server Restart - 30 October, 05:00 UTC Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Lagaffe_2020

Commander or ships for coal?

20 comments in this topic

[PADER]
Players
13 posts
2,740 battles

Hi

I have  just about enough coal to either exchange it for a (tier X) ship or a commander .

I'm unsure what's the wisest thing to do.

I'm considering either investing in

- Lütjens as new commander for my G. Kurfürst or Pommern

or

- Kuznetsov as new commander for my Petroplavlovsk

or

- new ship (Salem/Moskva/Yoshino/Thunderer)

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance :Smile_honoring:

[THESO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,209 posts
9,265 battles

Of the captains, kuznetsov (of course since he's russian) is the most OP.

Of the ships, thunderer is the most OP.

Go for either of these two. I'd recommend thundy.

• Cool 1

[XTREM]
Players
3,803 posts
11,250 battles

Go for the ships first. 

The commanders dont really make such a huge difference compared to the normal ones and their special abilities are disabled in competetive modes anyway. The ships however can be played in all modes. 

• Cool 2

[SHAD]
Players
2,606 posts
11,651 battles

I bought Kutnetzov. He is very strong, will to victory often gives me an extra heal when I need it most.

He works well on Kremlin and with that build he is also great on Moskva, Kronstadt, Stalingrad And Lenin.

New captain skill rework could make Lutjens better as he would be good on Mainz/Hindi and all the secondary battleships.

All that said, I do believe it’s better to spend on ships as you will have a coupon.

Thunderer is by far the best of the four you mention.

• Cool 1

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
5,264 posts
24,201 battles

Ship.

Commanders are permanent, while ships get removed: Missouri, Musashi, Jean Bart, Smolensk, etc., and you can only get them in lottery containers, if lucky. 

• Cool 1

Players
1,548 posts
7,182 battles

I'd optimize for the fun factor. For most players, a new ship is much more fun than a commander. If you're a German BB, or Russia enthusiast (like you play 80% of your games in those ships) then a commander could push these ships to the full potential. Personally I don't even buy the 35000 coal commanders, as I rather spend 1500 doubloons on their twin pairs. I'd rather buy even a Salem first than Lutjens or Kuznetsov, despite that it would be nice to have them.

[LA_FR]
[LA_FR]
Players
159 posts
2,131 battles
Il y a 1 heure, Lagaffe_2020 a dit :

Hi

I have  just about enough coal to either exchange it for a (tier X) ship or a commander .

or

or

Any recommendations?

Honestly it's better having the ships first then commander. l almost have 160k coal and l looking for Moskva or Yoshino, Lütjens can be nice for my germans CVs but l prefer having ships first then commander.

Beta Tester
1,916 posts
11,706 battles
2 hours ago, Lagaffe_2020 said:

Hi

or

or

Any recommendations?

Thunderer then russian captain.

Players
1,736 posts
2 hours ago, Lagaffe_2020 said:

Hi

or

or

Any recommendations?

1- IMO, ships always come first. Commanders have a couple of talents/ tricks which are situational. Ships are the main element of this game. 

2- Out of Salem, Moskva, Yoshino and Thunderer; i'd say 100% Thunderer first.

Second ship you will get depends on what cruiser style you enjoy playing and what you already possess. For instance, if you already have Des Moines, skip Salem. If you already have Stalingrad-Petra and/or Al Nevsky go for Yoshino or Salem because a different experience. If you already have Azuma, Zao but no Des Moines or Russian cruisers, then skip Yoshino and go for the others.

Players
3,454 posts
4,965 battles

I dont like Thunderer (and I already have Conqueror) so I got Kuznetsov for my Kremlin on my last armory shop.

[MAS-X]
Players
391 posts
9,278 battles

If you have the coupon for a 25% discount over the ship, the Thunderer is a perfect choice.

I personally like the Yoshino, but is hard to play, while the Thunderer overclass it in firepower.

Also, premium ships, gain credits even in co op.

I would pick a special captain only if i have the other ships.

Players
2,296 posts
20,686 battles

Kuznetsov is an absolute must-have, especially for Ranked.

Completely broken stupid OP, the very embodiment of Russian Bias. So ridiculous it's not even funny.

Of the ships, Moskva used to be pretty good but now there's Petropavlovsk which is arguably even better. So the main reason to go for Moskva would be making more credits. But if that is your goal then you should go for Georgia which will make even more credits, especially since you have a chance of being uptiered and thus damage higher Tier ships, which incurs a bonus afaik. Or if you want a cruiser and Alaska is still available for Free XP, you could use the coal to buy Papa Papa flags and buy that one cause it is just incredibly good.

I have all the ships you are contemplating, but the only one I played more than a few times, and which I enjoy a lot, is Thunderer. Even though my aim is not very good, but that only means I get more misses in difficult shots than I might get if the dispersion were not as tight. And there are usually enough easy shots to take instead. Also it has defensive AA, though that doesn't mean a whole lot these days.

Added bonus of Tier IX is of course that you get fewer carrier battles. The only ships I really enjoy on Tier X these days are Halland and Smaland, for that very reason - you are not just left-click fodder and get at least a small chance to ruin some CV players' day. If you deciode to go for Smaland, besides converting coal into Free XP, there is also the option to reset lines, because you can buy 250k Free XP for i think 12,500 research tokens in the Armory.

[SINT]
Players
921 posts
21,015 battles

With a steady coal income  you can buy one expensive ship each half year with your discount coupon. That discount does not work in commanders though. That leaves you ( each half year) with enough coal to buy a cheaper item where the lack of a coupon does not feel as a waste. Or commanders were coupons don’t matter anyway.

edit: think that monthly coal gain of 30- 40k from dailies and daily crates is reasonable with low effort. Then you have additional event coal.

Thunderer would be my first pick since it is considered a bit OP and might go the way of Smolensk/ JB. With remaining coal you can pick up the lower tier ships ( T5-T7) to make sure they will not drop in a crate afterwards. FE if you are in the race of the free KOTS T7 premium ship you might consider to buy the T7 polish dd for coal first as to eliminate this ship from the random drop pool.

[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts
13,559 battles

Although Lutjens is extremly usefull with his talents ( in Operations without a healing merchant reapir ship among others repairing a CV multiple times when agressively using it's guns asif it is a heavy Cruiser ) proccing all the time,

And Kutzenetsov killed many adversary BB in PvP with his "refuse to die" talent during brawling that allows for an extremely "illegal" killer blow with very close range russian big guns while he should be sinking himself snatching enemy victory/kill away,

i say new ships are worth the coals far more.

[SINT]
Players
921 posts
21,015 battles
33 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

Although Lutjens is extremly usefull with his talents ( in Operations without a healing merchant reapir ship among others repairing a CV multiple times when agressively using it's guns asif it is a heavy Cruiser ) proccing all the time,

And Kutzenetsov killed many adversary BB in PvP with his "refuse to die" talent during brawling that allows for an extremely "illegal" killer blow with very close range russian big guns while he should be sinking himself snatching enemy victory/kill away,

i say new ships are worth the coals far more.

I agree that normaly ships have priority above “ special” captains but the new changes considering captain skills will increase the value of having special captains. The fact that you can set skills to captains for the 4 classes separately makes the benefit of having such special captain more valuable. Instead of having Lutjens ( as an example) skilled for either cruiser ( for its mb reload proc) or 2condary BB you can have all. You can have a set for all classes on him without constant respeccing. Next to that with the new max of 21 skill points you want to invest that effort to get that precious 21 skill set as smart as possible. So having a special captain that can handle most premium ships of his nation at the highest tier gives you a strong advantage.  

[SM0KE]
Players
5,627 posts
13,904 battles

I'm another vote for ships; the improvement the captains give you is generally quite marginal compared to the boost to your earning potential and options that an equivalent coal ship will generally provide.

How good a player you are might slightly tilt the balance one way or the other though: a better player will probably get more value from a special captain as they are more likely to regularly trigger the special abilities; a more average player will probably trigger most of them less frequently (exceptions include whichever one it is that goes off when you've had most of your hp shot off!), so making the difference compared to a regular captain even less marked.

Bear in mind that the relative value of the special captains *may* change with the current - very much WiP - captain skill overhaul; *if* the thing about being able to have effectively four sets of captain skills on each captain comes to pass, their value (mainly for premiums) will increase markedly. Caveat emptor though: we really don't know what the final captain skills will look like, and I'd still be surprised if the changes make any captain more useful for most players than an high tier premium ship...

Players
603 posts
4,635 battles

Personally I would vote for ships (and that is the approach I am taking), also for the simple reason that ships seem to be more likely to be taken out of the armory (and Premium Shop), and ships more than commanders are what make this game fun. Also, getting the coal ships might increase the chance of getting special ships (those taken out of the game) or Permium Store - only - ships.

Sign in to follow this