You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Inappropriate_noob

It seems I am missing something here...

20 comments in this topic

Players
3,291 posts

Well in act everything, for some reason I have never got along with the might Yamato, the one which can over-pen everything, supposedly, couple that with the Dynamic  cross hairs, and wham bam thank you mam, nothing hits, will try again in Co op, oddly enough I prefer the Mushashi, god knows why, he wasn't around to ask.

What am I not getting about the dynamic crosshairs, I know that they have something to do with the speed etc or is it the ship itself, whilst using the Dynamic CH on other ships I have been scoring hits left right and centre, but Yama so no. (that would make a great ship name actually:Smile_trollface:)

Players
2,897 posts

Yama guns are really good. If you aim well they hit hard. Just work on them cuz they differ from other bbs. Of all the things that grieve me in Yami the guns are not. Especially on stationary/hiding cruisers.

Players
3,291 posts
16 minutes ago, lossi_2018 said:

Yama guns are really good. If you aim well they hit hard. Just work on them cuz they differ from other bbs. Of all the things that grieve me in Yami the guns are not. Especially on stationary/hiding cruisers.

Most targets are moving in mine, never lucky enough to get the hiding sneak attacks, although sneaking in a yamato is, well is it a thing?

Tried my normal sights (Static No 7) in co op, worked a treat

[PUPSI]
Players
787 posts
2,634 battles
6 minutes ago, Inappropriate_noob said:

I think this is the point: use what you're used to and that'll get the best results, precisely because you know what you're doing.

I use dynamic myself. IIRC the idea with them is that a target at 15km moving at 30 knots will go through 1 tick per second, and you can make adjustments based on that. I've probably remembered wrong though and someone in the know should correct me. These days I just kinda know what lead to give different targets at different ranges, because I'm used to it.

• Cool 1

[DAVY]
Players
2,788 posts
13,873 battles

do you use zoom mods, they can mess up the calibration of the sights

Players
3,291 posts
1 hour ago, Salentine said:

do you use zoom mods, they can mess up the calibration of the sights

No I use no mods, did try aslains once, it screwed up the game so much I had to uninstall that and re install WoW's itself, used to use Budy 69 modpack in WoT's but that has gone too as has WoT's itself, for now sticking with what I know (very little in most cases, lol) seems to work out Ok though:cap_like:

Players
137 posts
3,247 battles
1 hour ago, Inappropriate_noob said:

Most targets are moving in mine, never lucky enough to get the hiding sneak attacks, although sneaking in a yamato is, well is it a thing?

Or you adjusted to different shell speed? Recently pulled out Scharnhorst after playing with BBs with slower shells... Early in the first battle I wasn't able to hit a broad side of barn. By the end and in the second it was much better as I adjusted to shell speed.

[I-J-N]
Players
4,580 posts

One problem for me is that I have not figured out how to exactly gauge the target speed. The smoke seems unreliable, and the game doesn't really let me see the bow wave or the wake well enough. Not that it matters, since many ships seem to be equipped with ABS anti-locking breaks that let them stop from full ahead to standstill in 3 seconds flat.... right after I've fired at them.

• Funny 2

Players
59 posts
4,470 battles

I've not got the Yamato yet, I'm currently grinding through the IJN BB line right now, and I feel there is something seriously wrong with the aim/rng on their guns.

Every salvo straddles the target, I've even had a stationary full broadside target at about 8-9km out, I've targeted amidship a fraction above the water lane and only 1 shell hits (and it was an overpen) all the rest landed on the near side of the target, managed to get a second salvo off (this time he was moving) aimed the same and all the shells landed on the far side of the target, any other ship I would have at least got half the shells hit (even if they were overpens or ricochets).

The most ridiculous one I've had was in a Fuso, it was a drive by on a Cleveland that I surprised behind an island (roughly 1-1.5km), made sure every turret was green and aiming right into its citadel, the result 1 hit. I looked back on the replay 5 of the shells magically came out of the turret at roughly 30 degrees from where the canon was pointing.

And before I get the "learn to aim comments", I only get this on IJN BBs, I do not get this on other Battleships (UK, Germany, USA), or any Cruisers or any DD (that includes IJN Ca & DD) 

[I-J-N]
Players
4,580 posts
2 minutes ago, Duecut said:

I've not got the Yamato yet, I'm currently grinding through the IJN BB line right now, and I feel there is something seriously wrong with the aim/rng on their guns.

Every salvo straddles the target, I've even had a stationary full broadside target at about 8-9km out, I've targeted amidship a fraction above the water lane and only 1 shell hits (and it was an overpen) all the rest landed on the near side of the target, managed to get a second salvo off (this time he was moving) aimed the same and all the shells landed on the far side of the target, any other ship I would have at least got half the shells hit (even if they were overpens or ricochets).

The most ridiculous one I've had was in a Fuso, it was a drive by on a Cleveland that I surprised behind an island (roughly 1-1.5km), made sure every turret was green and aiming right into its citadel, the result 1 hit. I looked back on the replay 5 of the shells magically came out of the turret at roughly 30 degrees from where the canon was pointing.

And before I get the "learn to aim comments", I only get this on IJN BBs, I do not get this on other Battleships (UK, Germany, USA), or any Cruisers or any DD (that includes IJN Ca & DD) 

The Dreaded Curse of Tsushima? :Smile_ohmy:

• Funny 1

[DEFR]
[DEFR]
Players
1,266 posts
17 minutes ago, Karasu_Hidesuke said:

One problem for me is that I have not figured out how to exactly gauge the target speed. The smoke seems unreliable, and the game doesn't really let me see the bow wave or the wake well enough. Not that it matters, since many ships seem to be equipped with ABS anti-locking breaks that let them stop from full ahead to standstill in 3 seconds flat.... right after I've fired at them.

I find it's best to learn the speed of different ships they travel at when going full speed. If it's a Bismark/Tirps or a Shorn, a typical fast BBs. I'll give a 9/10k lead on guns sight. if something like a Massi or other BBs that goes a similar speed of around 28 knots - then usually about 7/8k lead on gun sight. Cruisers can be between 10k lead and 12/14k - if being a really fast cruisers. DD ships going full speed are usually a typical 15k lead on guns

So it pays off to know how fast different ships go at when using full speed

• Cool 2

[I-J-N]
Players
4,580 posts
1 minute ago, MRGTB said:

I find it's best to learn the speed of different ships they travel at when going full speed. If it's a Bismark or a Shorn, typical fast BBs. I'll give a 10k lead on guns sight. if something like a Massi ot other BBs that goes a simliat speed of 28 knots - then usually about 7/7k lead on gun sight. Cruisers can be between 10k lead and 12/13 if being a really7 fast cruisers. DD ships going f8ull speed are usually a typical 15k lead on guns

So it pays off to know how fast different ships go at when using full speed

I know, I've been using a slightly rougher rule of thumb, and I actually can hit most things except ships at really awkward angles and DD's either too far or too close... but most of my hits are non-pens, overpens or dings.

[DEFR]
[DEFR]
Players
1,266 posts

It can vary depending on what you ship you use I guess. I struggle with ships like America BBs that have somewhat "floaty bullets" that seem to take an age to land. That just makes it far harder to judge the gun lead. I have the Peuto Rico cruiser and just cannot use it guns, they are way too floaty at range.

Players
2,897 posts
4 hours ago, Inappropriate_noob said:

'Sneak' is my term for shooting at cunning flamethrowers that assume themselves safe.

Moving and stationary again is a shooting term. A soft ship turning hard, loses most of its speed which when you are in a Yami means deletion. A fast moving BB is also an easy target once you get the feel of the guns. I assume you know how fast each ship goes or can go. Lately the server does mess up with aiming so maybe it is there the problem. Practicing in co op is a nice move. Imo, its guns are very good. Just different. They have nothing to do with the Fuso or any other ships of the line. Maybe only Izumo comes near. They just take a bit of getting used too :)

[L4GG]
Players
3,141 posts
10,735 battles
5 hours ago, Inappropriate_noob said:

If you use the terrain?

Then your problem it's not with Yama , it's with the CH.

Lack of familiarity?

Personally i go for static ones, 

Tell me.

With Yama it's shoot and forget, you pen regardless?

or ...

Players
3,291 posts
9 hours ago, Butterdoll said:

If you use the terrain?

Then your problem it's not with Yama , it's with the CH.

Lack of familiarity?

Personally i go for static ones, 

Tell me.

With Yama it's shoot and forget, you pen regardless?

or ...

With me it is more shoot and watch where the shells land, although by that tine someone rudely focusing me and breaking my concentration:Smile_veryhappy:

I have seen in some CC's vids where the Dynamic CH has some sort of elevation degrees to the left, I presume this is a mod they are using?

• Cool 1

Players
1,688 posts
28 minutes ago, Inappropriate_noob said:

With me it is more shoot and watch where the shells land, although by that tine someone rudely focusing me and breaking my concentration:Smile_veryhappy:

I have seen in some CC's vids where the Dynamic CH has some sort of elevation degrees to the left, I presume this is a mod they are using?

I've never used static cross hair, mods or anything else. 25K games, only dynamic and works fine. It might be a matter of getting used to it. If you never used dynamic previously, might take some time to adapt and vice versa for static cross hair.

• Cool 1

[I-J-N]
Players
4,580 posts
1 hour ago, Inappropriate_noob said:

True, some people can be incredibly uncivil and rude! :Smile_smile:

• Funny 1

Players
2,250 posts
20,571 battles

The dynamic crosshairs are off.

Get the Nomogram mod. They're spot on and you get first-round hits every time.

At least that is my most recent info, I think it was this video here which admittedly is not very recent. But the nomogram mod still seems to work great.

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Players
1,337 posts
10,412 battles
45 minutes ago, FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor said:

But the nomogram mod still seems to work great.

@Inappropriate_noob

what he said.

IMHO nomogram is the best cross-hair

• Cool 1