Pishko98

How should I play DD's in the current meta?

13 comments in this topic

Players
3 posts
645 battles

Hello, captains!
I wouldn't say I'm a newcomer as I have played ever since beta but I never really got into the game that much, but my low number of battles makes me a complete newbie when it comes to the current meta. Here is the story, when I first started playing this game I tried a bunch of ships classes and I did like the IJN cruisers a lot. I managed to reach the Aoba but after that I kinda stopped playing as I got bored. Well recently I decided to join the game again and well, I wanted a fresh class to play. I was thinking what could be exciting and fun and of course DD's fit the whole description - fast, stealthy close range fighters that that are fragile, but can put up a good fight. Well I tried the german DD's and I got to tier 6 with the Gaede but I didn't enjoy them very much as they seem more like Light cruisers than actual DD's as they aren't as maneuverable as a typical destroyer and in terms of artillery some of them have those massive 150mm guns that certainly no other DD has from what I've seen. Well I wanted a "proper" destroyer (whatever that means) and I looked at a couple of videos from some contributors and almost all of them settled on one thing - the american DD line teaches you the most about proper destroyer tactics. Of course I started grinding, but as I reached the Farragut I hit a brick wall. Every game that I find myself in I feel shut down and I can't do any of the "proper" DD responsibilities - contesting caps, spotting and hunting down other destroyers. My main issue is mainly CV's. Every time I try to contest a cap I find myself hunted by an enemy CV player almost the entire game as my friendly CV racks up all the spotting rendering me completely useless. Of course if I try to avoid the enemy planes, I'm either way out in a place that noone needs me at, or I find myself in the blob of friendly cruisers to protect myself from enemy planes, which in both cases makes me completely useless as I'm not spotting, nor do I have the range to fight along the bigger ships. Please don't take this as a "I hate CVs" thread. I honestly never played CVs and I have no idea how hard it is, but currently I feel like everytime I encounter a CV, I don't really have a role in the game other than "find ship in open, spotted by friendlies, smoke up, shoot until smoke is gone, deal around 8-10k damage, repeat" and I feel like a CV can do all the spotting and damage better than me. I did have issues with radar too, but fortunately slowly I learned all the ships that have it and what their range is and I don't get too close, of course if they pop radar I just stay at the edge of their detection range and If I feel danger I just run away, making their radar usage completely useless. So my questions are, how do I play destroyers in the current meta, what am I doing wrong, and what do I need to do to actually help my team win? Please any help would be appreciated. I really love the idea of destroyers, but currently the way I'm playing them I just don't see how they can be useful. 

[CATS]
Players
26,820 posts
14,383 battles
  • focus on Tier V and VI DD
  • make sure that you have Concealment Expert on DD
  • turn off AA, unless spotted
  • be extra careful when CV are in the match, no, they are not in every match
  • watch were the enemy planes go
  • when you cannot see the enemy planes, take a more indirect approach to the cap
  • when planes come for you, evade at 90 degree
  • when you expect to get spotted and your AA is weak, sail back to your teammates or use smoke
  • Cool 1

Players
3 posts
645 battles

I do try to focus on hunting down enemy DD's and I am aware of the P key. My issues is that when a carrier actively tries to hunt me down I cannot do anything other than fall back and be useless. I actively try to evade planes but while I do I feel like I can't do anything to actually counter his strategy. 

[SM0KE]
Players
5,599 posts
13,889 battles
On 9/2/2020 at 9:10 AM, Pishko98 said:

My issues is that when a carrier actively tries to hunt me down I cannot do anything other than fall back and be useless.

You aren't being useless if - by falling back - you stay alive; as long as you stay alive you have scope to influence the game.

Plus, as @ColonelPete says, wasting the CV's time is always useful too; as long as the CV is messing about chasing you, he isn't interfering with your team-mates.

BTW if a CV is after you, try and keep some hard cover between you and as much of the opposing surface fleet as possible; once you've achieved mastery of the ancient art of Just DodgeTM  it will most commonly be fire from surface ships that scrags you as a result of the CV's spotting. Most CV drivers aren't that good (should you meet one of the ones that is, you're probably Doomed), so if you can avoid surface fire, they'll commonly take quite a long time to sink you themselves.

• Cool 1

[_FK_]
Players
222 posts
5,805 battles

Also: don't rush into a cap in a CV game.

Most CV's will do a fly by over the caps to see where all the DD's are.

If you take it slow for the first few minutes, the CV won't see you and will have no clue where you are.

After that, do your thing with the tips as listed above.

It is surprising how many CV's won't come looking for you if they can not find you in the first 3 minutes.

• Cool 1

Players
553 posts
Am 2.9.2020 um 14:31, Pishko98 sagte:

So my questions are, how do I play destroyers in the current meta, what am I doing wrong, and what do I need to do to actually help my team win? Please any help would be appreciated. I really love the idea of destroyers, but currently the way I'm playing them I just don't see how they can be useful. 

Counter question: ................. (created with Google Translate) ......................

What risk are you willing to take?

The tasks of destroyers, as they used to be in the classic sense (locking, mocking BBs, etc.), are with WoWs up to approx. T5-T6!
Fighting DDs in the "knife fight" is still feasible!
Résumés are actually used to ridicule opponents. You can do better and you are more flexible!
The résumé can keep a DD open until the opponent "slaughters" you and you have nothing to counter but mercilessly flee backwards and survive with luck.
If you add radar, you will no longer be able to use DD at the start of the fight it was actually intended for.
If the opposing ranks have become thinner later, a DD can use the greater leeway again !!
However, a DD at the beginning of the fight is not useless. He can put smoke screens and use his disguise to allow allies to shoot over the smoke barriers because he's still making fun of himself!

Also, I think it's important to learn that you are driving the DD so that it "never opens". That is probably the biggest challenge you will have to face!

It is "terrible" for the opponent to know that a DD is nearby and he has no idea where! This is the worst scenario I can imagine as a "real" threat!

But you have to say goodbye to the desire for "maximum damage"!

Even if you play team-friendly, don't expect someone on your own team to help you !! Only in one division do you (unfortunately) support one another!

They can make a huge difference if your team thinks a little bit.

But never rely on your team !!

Learn to read the MiniMap and use it for yourself!

One of the meanest devil DDs I've ever met is the T7 - "Haida". At first glance she looks like a "nobody", but if you take a closer look you will surely see that she is the "devil in the form of a DD". The first 10 captain points are bad (hard earned) but worth it!

See "LWM"!

To come back to your question again.

Personally, I think DDs are the strongest and most difficult class of ships to play! But sinking a Bismark or something like that (and at best surviving) is worth a small risk, isn't it?

Best regards

(Made with google translator)

Players
128 posts
19,234 battles
On 9/4/2020 at 11:45 AM, Zigiran said:

Also: don't rush into a cap in a CV game.

Most CV's will do a fly by over the caps to see where all the DD's are.

If you take it slow for the first few minutes, the CV won't see you and will have no clue where you are.

After that, do your thing with the tips as listed above.

It is surprising how many CV's won't come looking for you if they can not find you in the first 3 minutes.

THIS!!!

I'm quite of a DD player too, and THIS is the most classic actions done by a CV: a fast fly over the caps, and maybe the row just before them in the straight path from spawn point to such caps.

If you spawn from the sides in a map, try forst to move diagonally toward the borders...
If you spawn in the center, or the needs basically will bring you toward the center of the map, slow down and pair with a cruiser: if you are going to use USA DDs to "learn" (they are very good in put you into DD discipline) you can practice how to use the LONGEST (duration) smoke in game: in the above mentioned tactic, you will get AA cover (kinda) from the cruiser, and also waste more time to the carrier if you use the same smoke not only to hide you, but also your companion cruiser. In case you can push to a cap, having a nearby cruiser hidden could also help when you meet the enemy DDs.

The life of a Dd captain is harsh: you have to learn "what the enemy is thinking".
As said by the message that I quoted, most of the CVs are quite the "egocentric": if they cannot find you, they feel not being useful and start to go hunting for damage, rather than patrolling. Once you see that they put out bombers and torped bombers, you know that they are stopped patrolling, feeling to have wasted time.

Also, USA DDs are not really torp boat, until t.7 (the Mahan is the first one that has torpedo range bigger than the concealment) so it DOUBLE the reason for you to "choose" a fellow cruiser as mate, and use the smoke to cover him and then spot/share the smoke for sojme gunboating (if you are sure to have someone else spotting).

When playing solo, with random player cruisers that I want to notice me in that role (I do it with every nation DD, very often... USA one are just the best as "smoke suppoet" because the smoke span for minutes and minutes), I use a simple trick:

• hit [F3] shortcut pointing at the cruiser that I choosen as "mate" (... the radio-button that tells "protect that ship"), to get his attention (the closest one... or someone that is sailing where I'm going to meet him, even if coming from different directions/spawn position)...
  • ... then immediately the [F8] ("set a smoke screen") pinging in map (... [CTRL]+ clicking in the minimap) the area where I will probably use smoke once he will be spotted
  • Eventually do it again if I notice that he didn't get the message.

Unless oblivious potatoes, generally the message is received and you will make a friend, if you keep staying around and dropping smoke more than once for the same cruiser (that will enjoy free farming) meanwhile roaming just ON THE SIDE of the smoke to give him visual on enemy with my spotting/going to engage an enemy DD with him covering my back

(Why staying just out of the smoke not in front of it but to a side??? because smoke is an enemy torpedo magnet, and you do not want to stay "in front of it" in the most probable path of enemy torps)

Once you will get the Mahan, you will be also capable of stealth torpedo, so roaming at distance to drop undetected, meanwhile spotting, will became easier.

BUT MOSTLY IN A CV MATCH

do not feel compelled by any comment by anyone in your team about "not going straight to the cap": it's one of your role contest a cap, but it cames AFTER "not die". DD = patience. If the enemy start to cap, you immediately have the advantage to know "where are the enemy DDs", as your CV, that probabloy will start to drop there. You can deploy then your strategy, still undetected, with a better picture of the enemy strategy

Players
3 posts
645 battles

Thanks for all the replies. This week I did manage to get the Mahan and I have to say, I really enjoy it. I did notice that the T7 Mahan is much more versatile in terms of gameplay tactics. I never really found the Farragut amazing as I only tried using it as a close-range gunboat. Now that I have the T7 and working towards the Benson, I find them much more enjoyable. Also noticed that defensive AA is actually quite effective at scaring away CVs from constantly pecking me and at the same time with the longer range torpedoes I can actually stay back a little as I still have some sort of way to influence the battle, even if the torpedoes are kind of slow at 55 knots and hard to land hits with. I did realize that staying alive till the end of the battle is much more important than capping a point in the first 3 minutes of the game just so it can be decapped anyway a minute later. Thanks again! Also I am looking into premium destroyers that are both fun and good money makers. Now that I have reached T7 I've realized that I might not have enough credits for later use. Also for all the DD mains out there, what is a good hybrid destroyer line that I can grind after I finish the US DD line? I have started the German DD line (currently on the Gaede), but I find them very sluggish (probably because I got used to the US DD maneuverability). I also started grinding the EU DD line just to try the whole torpedo boat with no smoke style. 

[SM0KE]
Players
5,599 posts
13,889 battles
21 hours ago, Pishko98 said:

Also for all the DD mains out there, what is a good hybrid destroyer line that I can grind after I finish the US DD line?

Germans are the obvious one; the smoke/hydro trick (T5 and up) can be very effective. The RN are very worthwhile too, although I would suggest doing them after the Germans as the former generally require more gun use which can be tricky on ships that rely heavily on stealth.

Players
566 posts
5,188 battles

play them as CL that cant take a citedel

push forward but stay inside supporting AA cover

you might not always see opposing dd doing this, but you will see a lot of torps

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
115 posts
On 9/11/2020 at 5:03 PM, Verblonde said:

Germans are the obvious one; the smoke/hydro trick (T5 and up) can be very effective. The RN are very worthwhile too, although I would suggest doing them after the Germans as the former generally require more gun use which can be tricky on ships that rely heavily on stealth.

I would say IJN gunboats myself. Great torps even though you don't get many, really good guns, decent concealment, good AA. 

• Cool 1

[BAD-A]
[BAD-A]
Beta Tester
1,809 posts
18,866 battles
On 9/10/2020 at 7:31 PM, Pishko98 said:

Thanks for all the replies. This week I did manage to get the Mahan and I have to say, I really enjoy it. I did notice that the T7 Mahan is much more versatile in terms of gameplay tactics. I never really found the Farragut amazing as I only tried using it as a close-range gunboat. Now that I have the T7 and working towards the Benson, I find them much more enjoyable. Also noticed that defensive AA is actually quite effective at scaring away CVs from constantly pecking me and at the same time with the longer range torpedoes I can actually stay back a little as I still have some sort of way to influence the battle, even if the torpedoes are kind of slow at 55 knots and hard to land hits with. I did realize that staying alive till the end of the battle is much more important than capping a point in the first 3 minutes of the game just so it can be decapped anyway a minute later. Thanks again! Also I am looking into premium destroyers that are both fun and good money makers. Now that I have reached T7 I've realized that I might not have enough credits for later use. Also for all the DD mains out there, what is a good hybrid destroyer line that I can grind after I finish the US DD line? I have started the German DD line (currently on the Gaede), but I find them very sluggish (probably because I got used to the US DD maneuverability). I also started grinding the EU DD line just to try the whole torpedo boat with no smoke style. 

My Advice would be to stick on the USN line to gain access to the most glorious ship in the game...... USS Fletcher! This is the little ship that 'can' .....

Great concealment, great guns, decent AA purely sexual torpedoes...... just be patient YOU TOO WILL SEE AND BE CONVERTED !