Server Restart - 30 October, 05:00 UTC Read more... ×
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Vooboodoo

Enough of PAY TO WIN & UNBALACED game from WG

64 comments in this topic

[GEUZ]
Players
2 posts
4,447 battles

I have been thinking of writing this post for a long time and today the scales of bitterness have been shed. After about 3 years of playing with varying intensity I can say clearly - I'm fed up. I am fed up with the game the model of which PAY TO WIN becomes more and more visible and perceptible from month to month. I'm damn sick of people I meet in tiers 7-10 who bought ships for money and have no idea about this game don't know how to position themselves where to go and what to do who to focus. I am extremely fed up with events the prizes of which are either comically funny or involve the use of real money more and more of them and more and more often. I'm sick of the fact that it's difficult to farm credits and points when you don't have a premium account. Money is required in every aspect of this sick game. I am also fed up with mixing up tiers where the gameplay is very far off balance. I am fed up with a TOTAL unbalance of Premium ships compared to Regular ships. I recently started playing sporadically on a test server. I have been waiting for about a week for what WG calls "prizes" (for me it's a mockery not awards) and I will probably wait a little longer this is how the game developers show their gratitude to the players for testing. I was never in favor of spending money on games I don't really practice it but WG made the game a total bottom which I described above. I understand that you need to get paid for something but there are other very popular online games that do not have a PTW-based business model and are doing great and have plenty of money. The difference in playing while spending a lot of money vs not spending money is totally unbearable. In practically every game I am able to count at least 4-5 Premium ships. This is not only my opinion but also my friends' opinion. Together with them we made a decision to stop participating in this sick process. Congratulations WG you lost another 8 players today. You can say that someone is poor and has no money I have it (I'm a Front-End Developer) because I don't spend it on this kind of stupid thing. I believe that gaming enjoyment should not be measured in real money. Besides the premium ship packages and their prices are extremely high for my country. I suppose one of the moderators will delete this post so to those who have time to read it. PLEASE WAKE UP!

• Cool 5
  • Funny 7
  • Boring 3

Players
3,329 posts

I have to disagree, it is not pay to win, you can do good or bad in either a Premium or a tech tree ship, for many reason, lack of team support, people not on the ball, slow to leave spawn etc, some people may get kicked out the game due to connection problems, all sorts of things, but I do not believe it is pay to win, for example, my Alaska just now could not pen a St Louis, what the hell is that ship made of, others say you can tank in a Alaska, well not mine, it must have been built on a Friday:Smile_sad:

• Cool 2
  • Funny 9
  • Bad 2

[GEUZ]
Players
2 posts
4,447 battles

It's not only about people in teams. But it also matters. For example try to fight 1 vs 1 - premium ship Alaska vs normal ship Buffalo. Look at new premium ships Pommern and others. With sign "Premium" everything is better, everything is faster and more unbalanced. Look also at last Rankeds (sprint and real rankeds), 60% of ships was a Premium one, great hitting tanky BB's with up to 10km trops, there are CA's that even don't have torps. That's only one of the examples, there's still a lot more. If I'm not wrong only one normal ship has torps and thats Gneisenau. That's really not only my opinion...

• Cool 2
  • Funny 3

[JOLLY]
Players
321 posts
11,468 battles

Whatever the naysayers reply, obviously, WOWS has a major pay2progression element, to accelerate unlocks and perks (ships, items, upgrades and captain perks). Pay2progression, there is an ongoing debate about whether micro payments to facilitate progression, = pay2win. People can make their own mind up about that.

In specific circumstances, there are clear and immediate advantages to those who spend some cash, certain premiums are clearly superior to their tech tree equivalents (Mass vs North Carolina at t8, z39 vs Maas at tier 7), while the domination of premium CVs during ranked t8 is without debate. But those who don't want to or can't spend money on WOWS, can unlock for free, many excellent tech tree, premiums and reward ships too, if it takes a little longer : mogami, thunderer, smaland.. or the recent dockyard rewards which gave out 1 x premium ships (Graf Spee) without any monetary contribution required.

To my mind, pay2win is circumstancially problematic, (Enterprise, looking at you..) it is not true in all cases or situations.

• Cool 9

[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts
13,559 battles

Strange.....i have the impression after years of playing and owning virtually all premiums, coal ships and fremiums that full researched tech tree ships are often slightly stronger then Premiums/Coal/Fremiums.

I can vaguely recall a WG dev once confirming that, with the reason Premiums are meant to acces tiers you don't have acces to, and have to pay for that entry and not having to research upgrades by slightly less power.

So that "pay to win" is not per defenition the case. There are some horrible overpowered premiums though. But also appalingly underpowered Premiums.

In general you won't be disadvantaged in relative power using only Tech Tree ships ( when they recieved all their upgrades and modules ) You will be disadvantaged in game economical aspect though.....but buying ships for real money disadvantages a player in real life economical sense :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1

[DEFR]
[DEFR]
Players
1,266 posts

True, if you take the Pommern as an example. I reckon the FDG is a stronger ship, just that Pommern has the torps to use. You can say thing same about Tirps - that Bismark is a better ship if you took those torps away from Tirps

[RONIN]
Players
293 posts
3,415 battles
9 minutes ago, MRGTB said:

True, if you take the Pommern as an example. I reckon the FDG is a stronger ship, just that Pommern has the torps to use. You can say thing same about Tirps - that Bismark is a better ship if you took those torps away from Tirps

He says in post, that premium ships are ultra stronger then next line says how the people who buy those "op" ships are bad in them? I mean wtf? 

Didnt see anything OP about Pommern, grind my ranked easy with Alaska and no problems any time facing Pommern. 

Imagine a perfect balanced game where everybody would be happy and everybody would win, hmm, wait, play against AI? COOP :)

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1

[DEFR]
[DEFR]
Players
1,266 posts

I think he misses the point that premium ships can offer something to making them different worth buying, not because they are OP ships to buy.

Such as the Pommern, because it offered up 12 guns 4 x 3 guns - instead of the usual 4 x 2 guns found on Bismark, Tirps and FDG. And it also came with torps same as Tirps as a bonus. Sure it has worse sigma, but I'd still sooner have 12 guns to shoot than the 8 on those other 3 German BBs. And the only other way you could get 12 guns was to play the stock tech tree ship GK at T10.

[SM0KE]
Players
5,626 posts
13,904 battles

My P2W must be broken; can I get a refund?

image.thumb.png.b9a0d1d7a430f089d2a3e6033ec24bac.png

image.thumb.png.7ff3abeead695ae97e357df572254d8e.png

image.thumb.png.a29f6c0c76ccfdab6822da98922eb2ec.png

Needless to say, the list goes on.

Is WOWS pay-to-progress-a-lot-faster? Absolutely. Is it pay to win? Absolutely not.

These are my top-ten ships, with 50+ battles on them, sorted by WR:

image.thumb.png.0e8c1466ac865b0e0d893b9a3face51b.png

Five each premium and non-premium; small data-set, but you take my point...

IMO, the only meaningful advantage you get from (some premiums) - excluding the 'OP male-chicken-up ships' (Belfast, GC etc.) - is an element of the unknown when people haven't bothered to learn the basics of all the ships in their MM spread e.g. to judge by their behaviour in the T8 Sprint, a measurable number of players didn't know about Orkan's radar; there's no way Orkan is OP, but I got the drop on at least a few smoke campers who didn't know about her party piece.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 5

[THESO]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,340 posts
8,145 battles
2 hours ago, Vooboodoo said:

I have been thinking of writing this post for a long time and today the scales of bitterness have been shed. After about 3 years of playing with varying intensity I can say clearly - I'm fed up. I am fed up with the game the model of which PAY TO WIN becomes more and more visible and perceptible from month to month. I'm damn sick of people I meet in tiers 7-10 who bought ships for money and have no idea about this game don't know how to position themselves where to go and what to do who to focus. I am extremely fed up with events the prizes of which are either comically funny or involve the use of real money more and more of them and more and more often. I'm sick of the fact that it's difficult to farm credits and points when you don't have a premium account. Money is required in every aspect of this sick game. I am also fed up with mixing up tiers where the gameplay is very far off balance. I am fed up with a TOTAL unbalance of Premium ships compared to Regular ships. I recently started playing sporadically on a test server. I have been waiting for about a week for what WG calls "prizes" (for me it's a mockery not awards) and I will probably wait a little longer this is how the game developers show their gratitude to the players for testing. I was never in favor of spending money on games I don't really practice it but WG made the game a total bottom which I described above. I understand that you need to get paid for something but there are other very popular online games that do not have a PTW-based business model and are doing great and have plenty of money. The difference in playing while spending a lot of money vs not spending money is totally unbearable. In practically every game I am able to count at least 4-5 Premium ships. This is not only my opinion but also my friends' opinion. Together with them we made a decision to stop participating in this sick process. Congratulations WG you lost another 8 players today. You can say that someone is poor and has no money I have it (I'm a Front-End Developer) because I don't spend it on this kind of stupid thing. I believe that gaming enjoyment should not be measured in real money. Besides the premium ship packages and their prices are extremely high for my country. I suppose one of the moderators will delete this post so to those who have time to read it. PLEASE WAKE UP!

This Game is not Pay to Win at all.

Pls Learn the Proper Definition of that Word.

Pay to Win means that by Paying Money you are able to Win Fights against Players that do not Pay Money or Pay less Money.

This is not the Case in the Game. You cannot actually Buy anything that gives you Distinct Advantages in Combat over other Players.

Premium Ships Balance is all over the Place from OP to UP. And so is Tech Tree Ships.

I Always Support Calls for better Balancing. But pls also keep in mind. Balancing in a PvP Game is Extremely Difficult. And a small Change in Game Meta and thus Players common Playstyles can completely mess up the Balancing again.

So Demanding this to be Perfectly Done is like Demanding a Teacher to know absolutely Everything lol.

I Agree that WGs Monetization has become Excessesively Aggressive. WG has lately been making an Extreme Push for Money and is Jacking up not just Prices but also the Ratio of Paid Content compared to Free Content quite a bit.

But while I think that WG is clearly on the Profit Hungry Side. The only real Complaint I have about their Monetization Model is the increasing use of Lootboxes and other Gambling Tricks.

Aside from that their Shop is Honestly said Pretty Tame for an Succesful Online Game.

Whats wrong with seeing 4 to 5 Premium Ships each Game ?

Not only are there constantly Free Premium Ships given out from Events, Supercontainers, Campaign Grinds and Ressource Grinds.

But you also seem to forget that alot of the Players in this Game Play the Game for quite a long Time and thus will often Play Premium Ships because they give Exp and Credit Bonuses and thus are easier to Farm with than Tech Tree Ships which these People dont really need to Grind currently as they got almost all of them already.

So Yeah.

I think the one who needs to Wake up is you.

• Cool 13
  • Bad 2

[MUMMY]
Players
449 posts
9,653 battles

Dear Seal

Please consider purchase of Pay2Win Battlebote, will make you better player Soon™, spreadsheet says so.

----

My Duke of York disagrees OP.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,853 posts
5,332 battles

Repeat after me "a ship is only as OP as the player behind the wheel"

• Cool 5

Players
2,094 posts
13,448 battles

Not really P2W, P2Progress only. Problem is on T9 when we compare older silver ships to all those very strong/OP T9 premiums (but then most of them were obtainable for free). 

• Cool 2

Players
645 posts
17,908 battles

Smolensk, Thunderer, Slava, Stalingrad, Alaska, Jean Bart, Musashi, Somers, Missouri, Bourgogne, Shikishima, Ohio, Kamikaze... no money, just playing.

Petropavlosk, Halland, Nevski, Gadja, Orion, Shchors, Vladivostok, Kremlin, Des Moines, Kitakaze, Jutland, Daring, Venezia, Fiji... excellent and FREE ships.

No, WoWs is not P2W.

• Cool 4
  • Bad 1

[S-O-M]
Players
657 posts
5 hours ago, Vooboodoo said:

WG don’t give a damn about what we think, how many of our constant whinges and bitchings have actually seen any change or improvement, the Cv rework, subs and PR are crystal clear signs from WG, we ask for real ships what do we get fantasy ships, we and the planet know the soviet navy’s done sweet FA for the last century,  name one famous naval victory the soviets have fought or a real famous ship and yet in game how many op ships ?,  why does Kremlin have better armour than Yammy.  Nothing will change I’ll say it again just wait for the laughably balanced soviet CVS.   Can you name ONE famous Soviet world war 2 era cv ?,  give it a year and they’re will be as many soviet cvs as there is us, ign and RN.

it’s definitely P2W,  could Odin be completed without  dabloons 😉.

You only have to look at the new range of German cvs to know where WG have been going and are going from the historical to fantasy.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[CATS]
Players
26,859 posts
14,393 battles
6 hours ago, Vooboodoo said:

I'm damn sick of people I meet in tiers 7-10 who bought ships for money and have no idea about this game don't know how to position themselves where to go and what to do who to focus.

According to your theory, they should be winning...

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[SM0KE]
Players
5,626 posts
13,904 battles

60% of ships was a Premium one

It's quite possible that 60% were; however, it isn't because they are pay-to-win - unless you've reground a line multiple times, premium ships can often mean a better captain as most people don't have a 19 pointer (or similar) for every silver tier. Besides that, the rewards are usually better in premiums; if we must play ranked, decent rewards are not an unreasonable hope for putting yourself through it.

tanky BB's with up to 10km trops

From memory, there is one BB with 10 km torps (I assume that's what you mean, and 'trop' isn't a slang term I was previously unaware of) - Kii - not exactly a byword for tanky. The German ones are all - I think - 6 km range, and trying too hard to use them will most likely get you sunk.

If I'm not wrong only one normal ship has torps and thats Gneisenau.

I believe you are correct. Question though: are you saying this is an advantage of premium or silver ships? Given how many idiots get sunk trying to use their torps when the shot isn't on, you can make a solid case that torps on BBs are a disadvantage (I happen to like them, but most of my BBs tend to live in Coop, where torps are less of a stupid idea).

[JRM]
[JRM]
Players
6,584 posts
24,845 battles

@OP

1. This game is not P2W its P2 Progress Faster, obviously you didnt have experience with real P2W games, strongest ships in this game in general are some freemiums and techtree ships, they are available for free albeit you need to work your a$$ off to get them without some money invested in stuff - you actually can, dont get me wrong for some you will work your bum off even with some money involved but it will be considerably less then without some money spent...

2. I looked at your stats, they are pretty decent, you also have a number of ships in port so it seems you can play against the paying customers after all and not only play but win... Soooo why the salt all of the sudden? Because of Alaska? She is a freemium ship and as such free to get if you are persistent enough to hoard the amount of resource needed (FreeXP was it? I dont even remember anymore...) and there are as of yet no capital cruisers in tree lines so we cant really compare her to a silver counterpart as there is none, you cant compare her to a Buffalo because CCs are a Ca hard counter, saying that CC wipes the floor wit a CA is a statement of fact, CC is basically a smaller cheaper BB so duh..

Overall way I see it you are doing fine in the game, you even have few premiums in port so you can grind cash in them to speed up the progress in that dept...

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[LEEUW]
Players
2,353 posts
10,110 battles
7 hours ago, Vooboodoo said:

You can say that someone is poor and has no money I have it (I'm a Front-End Developer) because I don't spend it on this kind of stupid thing.

Funny because all those players sailing premiums is what paid for your "free" game. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 2

[NECRO]
Players
592 posts
8 hours ago, Vooboodoo said:

I'm damn sick of people I meet in tiers 7-10 who bought ships for money and have no idea about this game don't know how to position themselves where to go and what to do who to focus.

I concede that I am mildly annoyed everytime some high tier premium noob starts trying out the F-keys at the start of the game, triggers hydro and radar mere moments after all the greetings are exchanged, and pilots his trophy wife vessel into directions which suggest he has yet to discover the minimap. But, fortunately, those people are only a problem if you are playing PVP. To me, games are meant to be enjoyed, and that means relaxing and having fun, so I avoid PVP at any (credit and XP) cost. :Smile_honoring:

• Boring 1

Players
3,279 posts
19,066 battles
8 hours ago, Vooboodoo said:

It's not only about people in teams. But it also matters. For example try to fight 1 vs 1 - premium ship Alaska vs normal ship Buffalo. 

This isnt a good example if you wanna prove your claims. Because buffalo can easly kill alaska in 1 vs 1.

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1

Players
1,548 posts
7,182 battles

The most OP ships are for steel an RP, that you cannot buy directly, and the OP commander is for coal. You can get some of them for money, but the price is so insane that only a very few players do it. In fact investing a lot of playtime gives you more OP rewards than investing money. You can argue that premium T9s can be bought, and some of them are better than the tech tree equivalents, which is true, but they can also be bought by playing. There are some OP premiums, but most of them can no longer be bought. You can get advantages for money, but mostly they reduce your time to grind, or open you more comfortable ships. So the most rewarded thing is your play time. Paying makes the game a better experience, as it reduces the tedious grind time, but you could not expect no advantages for money, otherwise not enough players would pay to maintain the game. I have seen a very good, but somewhat niche online game die, because the pricing was not too aggressive, and you could fully enjoy it for free. Warships is the same, a very good niche game, so a small number of players have to support it.

• Cool 3

Players
3,279 posts
19,066 battles
3 minutes ago, Ocsimano18 said:

The most OP ships are for steel an RP, that you cannot buy directly, and the OP commander is for coal. 

Unfortunately smolensk was for coal.