Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
kapnobathrac

How important is spotting damage?

25 comments in this topic

Players
388 posts

I mean i know its important to spot obviously. Had a game in hakuryu where i dealt just 100k and spotted 300k+ ended up like 3rd place from the bottom up in the team results

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
13,912 posts
19,734 battles

In terms of actual rewards?

Basically nonexistent.

• Cool 12

[CATS]
Alpha Tester
552 posts
9,954 battles

Somehow WG thinks that spotting for your team is not important, so they give you the middle finger even for outrageous high amounts of spotting dmg. Reason for that? Pure incompetence, once more shows that the people in charge have no idea about how the game works.

[SHAFT]
Players
9,836 posts
8,982 battles
10 minutes ago, Psychological_Warfare said:

Somehow WG thinks that spotting for your team is not important, so they give you the middle finger even for outrageous high amounts of spotting dmg. Reason for that? Pure incompetence, once more shows that the people in charge have no idea about how the game works.

Not to mention they think, CV spotting is fine and they see no issue... yeah, if you dont understand your game, then you come to that conclusion :cap_fainting:

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,786 posts
16,918 battles

Spotting as well as tanking are most important for winning, however criminally underrated in terms of XP and credit gain.

• Cool 5

[SH33P]
Beta Tester
222 posts
6,792 battles
47 minutes ago, Psychological_Warfare said:

Funnily enough, in World of Tanks it's actually rewarded pretty well..

• Cool 3

Players
388 posts

I never actually followed my spotting damage but I thought 300k was pretty Good and it came  as a shock to see my ranking in the team. not that it mattered but still

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,786 posts
16,918 battles
35 minutes ago, Zieten said:

Funnily enough, in World of Tanks it's actually rewarded pretty well..

If my old information is still correct it is 50/50 in WoT, a ratio which as per @Excavatus quote not even DDs receive in WoWs.

Players
388 posts
4 minutes ago, Ubertron_X said:

If my old information is still correct it is 50/50 in WoT, a ratio which as per @Excavatus quote not even DDs receive in WoWs.

I haven’t played wot in many years but when I did play if I recall correctly grinding was more strenuous than in wows. In wows once you get your hands on some special flags the grind becomes a joke with 30k Total xp per battle. Maybe that’s why spotting is useless here . Dunno how wot is now though 

[TOXIC]
Players
4,715 posts
11,987 battles
1 hour ago, Psychological_Warfare said:

Actually, the problem lies somewhere else. In tanks spotting is properly rewarded - in WoWs it's not because... it kind of can't. You see, the issue is: they can't find the right way to properly calculate spotting damage, so the stat is basically meaningless. This boils down to the shell flight time and to spotting mechanics. If you're unlucky, you can be absolutely crucial for your team's spotting and end up with little spotting damage, because you spot the enemy -> enemy starts shooting -> all the damage your team inflicts on him is spotted by them because they are in said enemy's range. When a stat is this unreliable, you can't really assign much weight to it as far as rewards are concerned, because it would be half random, really.

[JRM]
Players
6,577 posts
24,787 battles
49 minutes ago, Excavatus said:

Which kinda explains it, BB fires guns entire flanks sees him, the DD gets 1/5 - 1/8 or so of the 40% of the damage done and that provided anybody does some meaningful damage, also fire that burns him is seemingly not included as it says "when shells hit" meaning it only the alpha damage that counts...

[THESO]
[THESO]
3,901 posts
10,564 battles
1 minute ago, Yedwy said:

Which kinda explains it, BB fires guns entire flanks sees him, the DD gets 1/5 - 1/8 or so of the 40% of the damage done and that provided anybody does some meaningful damage, also fire that burns him is seemingly not included as it says "when shells hit" meaning it only the alpha damage that counts...

dont forget, as soon as that bb fires and gets spotted by othersi dds spotting damage stops.. 

[JRM]
Players
6,577 posts
24,787 battles
Just now, Excavatus said:

dont forget, as soon as that bb fires and gets spotted by othersi dds spotting damage stops.. 

Damn you are right by the "wouldnt be spotted otherwise" clause.. :fish_palm:

[THESO]
[THESO]
3,901 posts
10,564 battles
3 minutes ago, Yedwy said:

Damn you are right by the "wouldnt be spotted otherwise" clause.. :fish_palm:

yeah sadly most of the spotting damages are coming from smoke spammers and island huggers

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,786 posts
16,918 battles
2 hours ago, eliastion said:

Actually, the problem lies somewhere else. In tanks spotting is properly rewarded - in WoWs it's not because... it kind of can't. You see, the issue is: they can't find the right way to properly calculate spotting damage, so the stat is basically meaningless. This boils down to the shell flight time and to spotting mechanics. If you're unlucky, you can be absolutely crucial for your team's spotting and end up with little spotting damage, because you spot the enemy -> enemy starts shooting -> all the damage your team inflicts on him is spotted by them because they are in said enemy's range. When a stat is this unreliable, you can't really assign much weight to it as far as rewards are concerned, because it would be half random, really.

Afaik in WoT you will get half of the damage on any target that you have spotted first for up to 10 seconds (which is the time needed for gun fire bloom to reset in WoT), no matter what your target does and if it is spotted by others a little later (for example because it opens fire itself). So if this is possible in WoT it surely would be possible in WoWs. That the damage is shared in between all spotters once the target "reveals" itself is a pure WoWs decision. If spotting damage would be soley attributed to the ship first spotting the target for up to 20 seconds (gun fire bloom reset) things would be extremely different.

• Cool 3

[LADA]
Players
565 posts
8,763 battles

One of the few ways in which WoT actually got it right - spotting and damage upon spotting were genuinely areas where a decent Light Tank/Scout could really shine without even firing a shot. Counter-scouting then became a thing where a good LT player could sniff out the enemy scouts - either clobbering them or getting them spotted/killed in the process and deny the red team vision. 

2 hours ago, Ubertron_X said:

Afaik in WoT you will get half of the damage on any target that you have spotted first for up to 10 seconds (which is the time needed for gun fire bloom to reset in WoT), no matter what your target does and if it is spotted by others a little later (for example because it opens fire itself). So if this is possible in WoT it surely would be possible in WoWs. That the damage is shared in between all spotters once the target "reveals" itself is a pure WoWs decision. If spotting damage would be soley attributed to the ship first spotting the target for up to 20 seconds (gun fire bloom reset) things would be extremely different.

Given the similarities in spotting systems for WoT and WoWs I'd be surprised if it wasn't technically possible. DDs really should be more of a reward for putting themselves in harm's way and keeping targets spotted. 

• Cool 2

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,840 posts
5,332 battles
6 hours ago, kapnobathrac said:

I mean i know its important to spot obviously. Had a game in hakuryu where i dealt just 100k and spotted 300k+ ended up like 3rd place from the bottom up in the team results

Actual rewards, not very.

To your team's ability to do damage? Very important.

Players
10,032 posts
11,833 battles
1 hour ago, Gvozdika said:

Given the similarities in spotting systems for WoT and WoWs I'd be surprised if it wasn't technically possible. DDs really should be more of a reward for putting themselves in harm's way and keeping targets spotted. 

And technically they are. Issue is, the moment spotted guy opens fire (because he's spotted anyway) all spotting rewards effectively do to drain, because most WoWs maps are rather open unlike WoT with lots of vertical details breaking LoS.

Probably you'd get much more if you were to spot someone sitting behind island or alternatively, blind entire friendly team with own smoke and then proceed with spotting :Smile_trollface:

[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts
13,521 battles
12 hours ago, kapnobathrac said:

CV get less score for it then DD would.

But get more then Cruisers and Battleships would for spotting damage.

I do wonder if the by allies damaged ship type and tier you spot does matter for scoring as it does for direct damage. ( damaging a DD or higher tier nets you more then damaging a BB or a lower tier ) Would explain disappointing results....i have seen complete reverse situations aswell.  ( 40 k own damage = appalling 200+ k spotted damage, ending up top 3 )

Players
178 posts
5,113 battles

a while ago there was a mission to get spotting damage in a CV

spent 3 games flying around never shooting anything

ranked highest in all 3

reward is low but its still significant, unless they nerfed it since 

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,840 posts
5,332 battles
1 hour ago, Ashardalon_Dragnipur said:

ranked highest in all 3

It all adds up, no doubt.

[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts
13,521 battles

But does it matter what gets damaged for indirect damage spotting score ?

Most HE rocket plane CV will spend considerable time over enemy DD spotting them so allies will ( or should ! ) shoot on those DD also. Since with direct damage you get more score for taking HP off a DD then you would by taking HP off a BB i wonder if that goes for spotting damage as well. CV fighting and spotting DD's a long time would then get high score contribution by spotting damage since allies will damage those DD's a lot (too)

While CV spotting enemy BB that get damaged by allies would end up far lower scoring. Would explain the differences in spotting damage score contribution.

It is more so interesting as with German AP rocket planes CV i do not fight DD unless they are very low HP when i pass them on my way to Cruisers. So i would not spot allies damaging DD most of the time so score contribution by spotting damage would be considerable lower.

If so it's not CV players that are griefing DD because they like it, but WG making DD like bacon to a cat......DD simply give the highest score taking their HP.

[-LA-]
Players
678 posts
5,096 battles
9 hours ago, Ashardalon_Dragnipur said:

ranked highest in all 3

sorry that doesnt sound very possible, what tier were you playing . i mean at best you could get 20% of the damage dealer and only if no ship ever fired at anything it could see (so basically no BB's or CA's ) and no other ship on your side was doing any spotting.

its quite important we have this right as in an upcoming patch CV spotting is basically going to be gutted, an affect most of us thought would have little to no meaningful impact on the end results, but your the second person ive seen claim this , and if your right then CV's are going to be left needing a sizeable buff so do you happent o have any replays or screenshots to show how you did this?

Players
178 posts
5,113 battles

was tier6 as you need to be above 5 to do missions 

and im not going to dig trough replays trying to find them, it was a while ago

and no they wont be gutted, they will still be great

CVs are great at everything, to make them slightly worse at one thing isnt going to ruin them and even with the nerf they are still going to spot cruisers and battleships long before AA 

its going to change nothing except crying DDs... maybe, everyone needs a hobby 

Sign in to follow this