Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Pandafaust

Reflected team damage

7 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[-TAP-]
Players
301 posts
8,167 battles

Does anyone know what the rationale is for there to be a certain amount of team damage to be allowed before the mirror/reflection system kicks in and the team attacker starts taking the damage themselves? It's always seemed odd to me that the innocent party is the one that has to take the initial damage, instead of just having a system where it gets reflected from the very first team shell/torp. If it's designed to not immediately punish someone for an initial stray or wayward shot, why not have the initial damage negated entirely, then subsequently switching over to reflected damage as per the current system?

 

It's particularly frustrating in the lower health ships such as destroyers and light cruisers.  I had a match last night where an "allied" akizuki hit me with a full torp salvo from close range, resulting in my kitakaze being stripped down to a little over 5k health and engine being knocked out, then his ship imploding from the remaining reflected damage. Particularly frustrating as in the end game I got gunned down in a final battle with a friesland, where he ended on just under 2k hp - without the additional 11k or so health I'd lost to team torps, it would have been a simple win.

 

Apologies if this has been asked before, I couldn't find anything on a quick forums search.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
725 posts
12,203 battles

That is actually interesting question. 

 

My guess is because of friendly ramming that would be of no consequence if you negate initial damage. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[T-N-T]
Weekend Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
5,636 posts
12,702 battles
20 minutes ago, Pandafaust said:

Does anyone know what the rationale is for there to be a certain amount of team damage to be allowed before the mirror/reflection system kicks in and the team attacker starts taking the damage themselves? It's always seemed odd to me that the innocent party is the one that has to take the initial damage, instead of just having a system where it gets reflected from the very first team shell/torp. If it's designed to not immediately punish someone for an initial stray or wayward shot, why not have the initial damage negated entirely, then subsequently switching over to reflected damage as per the current system?

 

It's particularly frustrating in the lower health ships such as destroyers and light cruisers.  I had a match last night where an "allied" akizuki hit me with a full torp salvo from close range, resulting in my kitakaze being stripped down to a little over 5k health and engine being knocked out, then his ship imploding from the remaining reflected damage. Particularly frustrating as in the end game I got gunned down in a final battle with a friesland, where he ended on just under 2k hp - without the additional 11k or so health I'd lost to team torps, it would have been a simple win.

 

Apologies if this has been asked before, I couldn't find anything on a quick forums search.

This system is there to roughly distinguish accidental and intentional team damage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-TAP-]
Players
301 posts
8,167 battles
3 minutes ago, Sigimundus said:

This system is there to roughly distinguish accidental and intentional team damage.

I do recognise that sometimes there are situations when a stray shell/torpedo hits an ally and it would seem harsh to instantly reflect the damage - but if the intention is to not punish players for this surely a simpler solution would be if this initial hit simply did no damage to either ship? Clearly it's something which is possible within the engine too, as we've had a few events (like those super agile torpedo beat specials) where allied torps did no damage to friendly targets.

 

It's one of those things where it doesn't happen so often that it's a game breaking issue, but it seems counter-intuitive that the default mechanical position is punishing the innocent party.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-TAP-]
Players
301 posts
8,167 battles
28 minutes ago, Sir_Grzegorz said:

My guess is because of friendly ramming that would be of no consequence if you negate initial damage. 

Could be, although ramming's a bit of a special case as there's no way for the game to know who is responsible for it - shells and torps are a bit easier to apportion blame for!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[T-N-T]
Weekend Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
5,636 posts
12,702 battles
2 minutes ago, Pandafaust said:

I do recognise that sometimes there are situations when a stray shell/torpedo hits an ally and it would seem harsh to instantly reflect the damage - but if the intention is to not punish players for this surely a simpler solution would be if this initial hit simply did no damage to either ship? Clearly it's something which is possible within the engine too, as we've had a few events (like those super agile torpedo beat specials) where allied torps did no damage to friendly targets.

 

It's one of those things where it doesn't happen so often that it's a game breaking issue, but it seems counter-intuitive that the default mechanical position is punishing the innocent party.

There were several discussions if is better to have or not to have team damage in the game.

My personal opinion is that it will look strange if the torps, shells or bombs didn't do any damage to teammates. There are several in-game situations (mostly in a brawl) when you have to choose of a high risk of damage a teammate but a possibility to sink the enemy or of safa option to wait and give time teammate to move away but also give time to enemy to do damage sink you. These situations give better game feal from the battles.

 

And yes this system can be misuse to some trols and frustrated players intentionally damage team members.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LUZ1]
Players
680 posts
11,622 battles

My experience with how the system works is:

- ramming an ally: rarely any consequences, HP loss rediculously low, you don't turn pink

- hitting ally with torpedo: you turn pink for 3 battles if you don't have prior offenses

- hitting ally with shells: depends on number of hits/damage. You don't seem to turn pink for light damage. Perhaps there is some kind of threshold

- reflected damage only for repeated non- trivial offenses in same game

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×