Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
ZeuSueZ1337

Steelship(s), Yes? No? Why/Why not?

34 comments in this topic

[RDNT]
Players
53 posts

Been sailing the digital seas of WoWs for a couple of years now thus commin' up on the possibility to acquire myself a boat (thinkin tX but its not a deal breaker) of steel --- but I'm unsure what to buy and if to buy?

I.e. should I save the steel for a later occasion as in; the current steel ships a not exciting/good/rare/_W_ enough?

A little context; I'm prob more of DD main but have all variety of boats atm. and for comparison I currently hold 3 DDs, (z52, Haru & Shima) 7 CL/CA (Moskva, Salem, DM, Mino, Henri, Zao & Hinden) & 4 BBs (Yama, Monty, GK & Kremlin) on tX

I made a pass on the Smolensk earlier despite having the coal for it because of my animosity against it and I got Moskva when the CCCP lines was split but up until now it's not a ship I've been playing enough to evaluate if I like it or not.

Tbh I'm looking at Stalingrad, perhaps with Kuznetsov as an added bonus, but I would like some input as to the combination.

Regaining HP when you're scraping the seafloor so to speak with 10% left seems dicy at best so perhaps Kuznetsov is a pure Slava/Kremlin cmd?

Shikishima & Bourgogne doesn't get my juices flowing also considering my current fleet.

So perhaps better to save the steel?

Inputs welcome - thanks in advance.

[SHAD]
Players
2,590 posts
11,576 battles

I'm in a similar position, about 2000 steel away from the Stalingrad so should be able to get it in the next ranked season.

When I bought the Smolensk, I didn't think I'd ever buy a steel ship so I used 5000 steel to supplement my coal. Big mistake!

Smolensk is not fun for long.

I'm going for Stalingrad but then the Moskva is by second most played ship and I like the play style.

The Black and Neutrashimy are coming back for coal at some point after October in case they interest you.

I would suggest that If you are thinking of Stalingrad, you play the Moskva more to get a feel of that style of play. Stalingrad has much better AP (Better ricochet angles, penetration, fuse time  and fuse arming threshold) than the Moskva but a lower HE dpm.

For positioning, the Moskva is similar but I suppose target selection will be different.

• Cool 1

[RDNT]
Players
53 posts
8 hours ago, CallmeMessi said:

Somers is a must for a DD main. Enjoy.

- "A must have" you care to elaborate on why that is in your opinion?

I''ve captained both Fletcher and Gearing on the PT server but didn't really got accustomed to either of them.

So for the sake of the argument say the playstyle is somewhat comparable (aside for it primarily being a torp-boat) to Somers, why do you see it as a must for a DD main?

9 hours ago, gopher31 said:

(...) When I bought the Smolensk, I didn't think I'd ever buy a steel ship so I used 5000 steel to supplement my coal. Big mistake! (...)

Did exactly the same for obtaining Salem thinkin' never gonna get myself a steel boat....soooo, there's' that.

However I still enjoy the Walmart DM thourgly. Not without faults and compromises but hella fun to sail imho.

9 hours ago, gopher31 said:

I'm going for Stalingrad but then the Moskva is by second most played ship and I like the play style.

The Black and Neutrashimy are coming back for coal at some point after October in case they interest you.

I would suggest that If you are thinking of Stalingrad, you play the Moskva more to get a feel of that style of play. Stalingrad has much better AP (Better ricochet angles, penetration, fuse time  and fuse arming threshold) than the Moskva but a lower HE dpm.

For positioning, the Moskva is similar but I suppose target selection will be different.

For now I'll shelf the idea of getting Stalingrad tho. Having Moskva sort of fulfilled my needs of a high tier CCCP cruiser for the time being even though its not a boat I take out to sea on a regular basis. Maybe that ought to change.....

Actually I've looked at the Black when WG announced that they would retire it from the steel fleet and downgrade it to the coal fleet in the spring.

With this in mind is it actually another question I should be asking myself: Black or Somers? :fish_nerv:

(edit; typos and stuff)

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
5,232 posts
24,098 battles
2 hours ago, ZeuSueZ1337 said:

With this in mind is it actually another question I should be asking myself: Black or Somers? :fish_nerv:

Is this really a question? You can buy Black?

• Cool 1

[RDNT]
Players
53 posts
16 minutes ago, 22cm said:

Is this really a question? You can buy Black?

I'm not sure I understand you correctly so with that reservation; yes.

I can buy Black (in 1-2 months time) for coal and/or I can exchange steel for Somers right away.

By no means do I want all ships in the game, not even close thus for me its a real choice between 2 premium DDs from the same branch at t9 and tX respectively.

I'd much prefer to choose the quote on quote best candidate for my playstyle, likings and such and then save either coal or steel for a different vesel down the line.

So yeah, for me it's a genuine question.

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
5,232 posts
24,098 battles
11 minutes ago, ZeuSueZ1337 said:

I'm not sure I understand you correctly so with that reservation; yes.

Can you buy Black now?  Do you believe everything WG says?

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts
13,530 battles

Steel ships are supposed to be some kind of high end reward for clan battle players. They are supposed to be slightly  stronger then coal ships or premiums.

But truely overpowered they will not be.

Radar carrying DD are not that special anymore, neither are DD that can lauch 3 salvo's. Stuff like that.....on the powerfull side, but not unique nor truely overpowered.

Probably is worth the steel when you have the amount. I always considered it too long saving up so i converted it to coal ever time, resulting in that i have all coal ships now except the Marceau. Quantity over Quality :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1

[RDNT]
Players
53 posts
4 minutes ago, 22cm said:

Can you buy Black now?  Do you believe everything WG says?

No and no.

Can I exchange it for coal in a couple of months i.e. "today"? Yes

Are WG sometimes full of it and reverts decisions and such much to the dismay of the playerbase? Oh yass!

And now back on topic; do you have anything useful to contribute with or just having a bad monday where derailing a topic is the order or the day?

(odd behaviour considering you're a beta tester btw.....)

• Cool 1

[LEEUW]
Players
2,339 posts
10,110 battles

@ZeuSueZ1337

Stalingrad is so much fun man. Worth every minute of the steel-grind.

She is very unique in her playstyle and capabilities.

Best long range gunnery on any cruiser.

I mean, is there any cruiser that can do this?

https://outplayed.tv/media/x007z
or this?
https://outplayed.tv/media/nEZ1x

4dczuf.jpg

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
925 posts
9,389 battles

Get the Stalingrad if you enjoy the Moskva, or get the Burgogne if you like playing a BB that plays like a cruiser.

• Cool 1

[SINT]
Players
912 posts
20,975 battles

Whether you are eying a coal or steel ship take into account if you have a coupon for 25% ready. The next one will be given to you on 20 December so it’s on you to plan ahead how to spend your coupon ( if you still have it) this period. I try to spend my coupon each half year so that I have the largest savings with steel> coal.  On average you can buy 1 high tier ship each Coupon period with coal and have spare for a 2nd lower tier ship or a specific coal admiral. Without touching your steel savings ( if you exercise some patience).

Since you are close to Stalingrad ( and thus Somers since that one is cheaper) you have to choose one of the 2 since you probably will not regain the steel that fast. Stalingrad might be the most OP and unique regarding playstyle although that playstyle is boring imo..a bit like those camping new BB with super accurate heavy hitting guns.. any good player knows what you can do with those guns but also that you can be neutralised when they angle.

I am at the same choice...finally my first steel ships within my grasp but well aware that if I pick one that means foregoing the other( especially if WG withdraws a ship from shop) I am at the choice between Stalingrad and Bourgogne. In my opinion the OP steel ship vs the fun ship. The cruiser that hits like a BB vs the BB that moves like a cruiser..For me Bourgogne plays like a large cruiser that has to position itself to get access to broadside to use it smaller calibre and reloadmodule.  So, even if you said Bourgogne does not attract you, I think you might reconsider that...

So try some more games with Moskwa, see if you connect. Same for high tier US dd ( although Sommers is a bit different beast). For Bourgogne if you have JB..

• Cool 1

[BBMM]
Players
6,011 posts
7,653 battles
1 hour ago, ZeuSueZ1337 said:

I'd much prefer to choose the quote on quote best candidate for my playstyle, likings and such and then save either coal or steel for a different vesel down the line.

That's the thing really. We have no way of knowing what you LIKE to play and what you are GOOD AT (we can check last one by your stats though). 

I can take myself as an example - I play BBs (like, too, most of them) - Cruisers (like, some, some I hate) - and CVs (I like Ark Royal, it's a challenge). 

But what I need is ships for Clan Battles. Most CB are T10 so I am not interested much in other tiers. 

For fun I play mostly T5-6-7-8. So if there is any cruiser/BB/CV I like in there, I'll get it. 

Even from the Premium shop I have most of what I like. 

It means I spent coal on:

- T10: Salem (because I am grinding Worchester and Des Moines is far far away...);

- T10: Smolensk... Hand Middle Finger Of Stalin, any dumbo can play that, so yeah, must have it (LOL);

- T10: Thunderer (even if I have already the Conqueror it is quite different);

-.... aaaaand some LOL low tier stuff. 

Maybe next I'll get T10 Yoshino. Or since T10 Zao is better, maybe I'll grab that Russian T5 BB. 

But really there is nothing I like much in there so that is also a reason I got Thunderer, I knew I'd like it probably (and I do). 

I spent steel on:

- T7 Flint (because I like to play the tier);

- .... saving up for Stalingrad (Hand Of STalin always appreciated in CB...) and there is nothing else I'd fancy, really. 

As I like BBs, well, Shikishima or Bourgogne maybe, but in CB we just need 1 BB and lots of cruisers. 

Also, I think Yammy is better than Shikishima plus Bourgogne isn't all that in CB. So STalin definitely for me. 

No Somers for me, I wouldnt know what to do with it anyway, but have seen good players use it in CB to great effect. 

SO it is largely personal what you will choose. 

Also you never know what WG will bring up next. 

But knowing WG a bit it will never be better than Hand Of Stalin...

OK...except if it is a new Russian... maybe we call it FIST of Stalin...  :Smile_hiding:

Good luck with your choice, and IMO better choose a ship that you LIKE. 

Because then you will play it more and it will help more gaining credits and XP. 

- I got my coals worth from Salem, played many CBs with it (enough to get Flint and ahalf a Stalingrad) and still is enjoyable;

- Smolensk is really great when you have one of those weekend-evenings you just get roflstomps and brainless lemming teams... (so are CVs by the way)

- Thunderer so far is a hoot... man that thing is OP as FFFFFFFF.... so far 5 games I need to learn it better...

- Flint is a real challenge, needs a captain with AFT, and I really need to learn how to play it... but is fun. 

I also play the Premiums that I got a lot. At least the ones I bought, I enjoy them. It shows in how many times I played them, too.

Well, some I got from crates or something - those I did not pick, some are good, some less. 

So - choose wisely! :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

[SHAFT]
Players
9,842 posts
8,985 battles
11 hours ago, ZeuSueZ1337 said:

So perhaps better to save the steel?

If you dont want any right now, id go with this option. As long as WG wont remove the ones currently available, there is no real rush to take one is there? Especially, since you might not really play it that much.

- Stalingrad: + Good for CBs

- Bourgogne: + Fun in randoms

- Shiki: - Pretty much same like Yamato

- Somers: Dunno, IMO its hyped a little bit, but in general could be also used for competetive.

• Cool 3

[BBMM]
Players
6,011 posts
7,653 battles
3 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

- Somers: Dunno, IMO its hyped a little bit, but in general could be also used for competetive.

I don't play DDs, but have seen Somers in lots of CBs. It is (with the right build) sort of like a Shima that can actually shoot back.

As in: most Shima pilots do not even realise they have guns. Somers makes good torp soup, too. 

• Cool 1

Players
146 posts
21,678 battles
5 hours ago, ZeuSueZ1337 said:
11 hours ago, CallmeMessi said:

Somers is a must for a DD main. Enjoy.

- "A must have" you care to elaborate on why that is in your opinion?

For me it's the torps. 3x4 in tight spots between islands. Guns are OK slower than Gearing

• Cool 1

[BBMM]
Players
6,011 posts
7,653 battles

As far as I know there are 4 DDs that are TopDog for CB,

- Daring (after no longer needing IFHE, can take RL)

- Gearing (always good and still is)

- Somers (torpsoup and can actually shoot too)

- Shimakaze (because torpsoup)

When there are no CVs, Kleber... maybe. 

But I'm no DD main by a long shot and I just arrange them in "order of nuisance". :Smile_hiding:

• Cool 1

[BBMM]
Players
6,011 posts
7,653 battles

I diggit... @ZeuSueZ1337 so that is why I wanted it... Flint.

If you can find a ship that you'll probably like, take that one. 

This one just fits me. It is T7, which I play most (T5-6-7-8, but mostly 6-7).

And it is a cruiser. I like Leander, Fiji, Edinburgh, Dallas et cetera. So... well... THIS.

Must say though it is what I expected it to be. Not all ships are, and meta sometimes changes.

Spoiler

1907289570_Flint86K.thumb.jpg.29e03873777bf4e320c7009b4b034b9d.jpg

• Cool 1

[RDNT]
Players
53 posts

Woha. Lots of feedback :Smile_great:

I'll get back to you during the day/coming days. But for the time being I'll hold my horses at least until the 5y birthday has passed since I realized there is gonna be a SC rain. And who know what those will bring (camo and signals, ikr - but one can always hope xD)

So until all those are opened I'll save my stock of coal and steel and then see what to do.

[ALONE]
Modder
2,173 posts
13,726 battles

I only want to play Somers again. :cap_yes:

Don't want to play Stalingrad again as Stalingrad-players are a special kind.

That park-at-island-and-move-back-and-forward-like-a-tank-playstyle I saw sometimes makes me question if these players don't feel a little dumb. 

Players
8,169 posts
9,081 battles
14 hours ago, GarrusBrutus said:

Stalingrad is so much fun man. Worth every minute of the steel-grind.

Great ship? Yes, undoubtedly. Fun? Up to the player. Personally, I found Stalingrad one of my least fun experiences in CB ever and I don't even want to play her in randoms.

13 hours ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

Maybe next I'll get T10 Yoshino. Or since T10 Zao is better, maybe I'll grab that Russian T5 BB. 

Zao isn't better than Yoshino. Different ships for different roles with different strengths.

11 hours ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

- Somers (torpsoup and can actually shoot too)

Any DD can shoot, even a Mutsuki. Somers actually is pretty lackluster gunnery-wise, having trouble even dealing with a well-played Shima, given Shima has barely worse dpm, but way better ballistics. Somers also has no hp edge over a Shima and Shima will likely get the first shot due to concealment advantage. Somers guns aren't utterly terrible and to be discounted (just like you can kill things with Shima guns), but if Shima is just torp soup, Somers certainly isn't torp soup with guns.

• Cool 2

[LEEUW]
Players
2,339 posts
10,110 battles
38 minutes ago, HaachamaShipping said:

Great ship? Yes, undoubtedly. Fun? Up to the player. Personally, I found Stalingrad one of my least fun experiences in CB ever and I don't even want to play her in randoms.

In the venezia/hakuryu season I think? Because that season was indeed not fun. All the other seasons I had great games in Stalin tho. As my short video showed. 

Players
8,169 posts
9,081 battles
Just now, GarrusBrutus said:

In the venezia/hakuryu season I think? Because that season was indeed not fun. All the other seasons I had great games in Stalin tho. As my short video showed. 

No, it was a few seasons ago, when 3 pre-nerf Henris per side was still a thing. I stopped playing CBs when CVs entered and I retired to our clan's sister clan. I'm not doubting your fun in the ship, but as so often, fun is a very subjective experience. As great as the guns are, the concealment and turning radius are just not what I want to bother with.

• Cool 1

[RDNT]
Players
53 posts

A few things; i have the 25% discount coupon and I don't play CB.

We're merely a handful of IRL mates who have thrown our love on this so/so maritime game.

That being said there seems to be two main camps; one for Stalingrad and all the glory she brings from being a boat from the infamous book called "Stalin's book of real life war machines" thus OP af (in the current meta) in almost all aspects. But at the same time too many to ignore,  points out that it becomes sort of boring to sail, for me that's worthy of consideration since it's after all; a game.

And the majority of the other camp being that Somers are an excellent DD to go toe-to-toe with any given tX DD both in competitive gaming and also being able to perform in the random battle modes.

However questions have been raised whether it actually is that good in direct comparison with say Shima or Gearing?

(Disregarding Black for the time being)

16 hours ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

That's the thing really. We have no way of knowing what you LIKE to play and what you are GOOD AT

(.......)

SO it is largely personal what you will choose. 

So - choose wisely! :Smile_honoring:

Well above 10k battles random, WR ~50% increasing atm but not striding towards being a unicom. DD WR higher than my all in all WR.

Your observations are pretty much the same as I've had, at least with Salem. I consider it worth every piece of coal on it --- several times over.

To that effect and to sum this thread up I'll get my SC starting from tomorrow and unless it unexpected drops an exciting boat I'm leaning more and more towards holding my horses and saving the steel for now. But I'll provide an update later on.

Someone mentioned to remember that meta change/has changed over time so a boat that seems fantastic might just act as a potato coach in a few months. I am very well aware of that RNG'esque factor

All in all thanks for your inputs.

[BBMM]
Players
6,011 posts
7,653 battles
3 hours ago, ZeuSueZ1337 said:

However questions have been raised whether it actually is that good in direct comparison with say Shima or Gearing?

(Disregarding Black for the time being)

Well... I have seen one kill the other in a straight fight, mostly up to the player I guess. 

I've seen one troll a Stalingrad to death, and they are more annoying than a Shima to me when I drive a BB/CA/CL/CV. The only naughtier one IMO is Daring.

But that's just me as a non-DD player, I play them (very very mediocre) but upto T6 (and somehow WG gave me a T8 Silliwangi, what am I gonna do with it...).

The advantage of Somers, it is still a Premium, so you can take it into T10 randoms, without going "if my team taters it will cost me XXXX credits".

That also might be a considerable thing, these days...  :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this